HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Matthias

Old
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
DrChill

vCash: 500
Matthias

Vancouver Fan here.
Just wondering about Matthias. is he very fast? Does he ever play right wing?
How attached is Florida to him? what is he worth in a trade?

Last edited by DrChill: 01-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Vancouver Fan here.
Just wondering about Mattias. is he very fast? Does he ever play right wing?
How attached is Florida to him? what is he worth in a trade?
Matthias*

His play improved a ton this year compared to last. He's got some speed that combines nicely with his size. He has some nice offensive skills, but lately he hasn't been showing them because he's been playing on the 4th line with Bernier and Hordichuk/Booth double shifted.

I'm unsure if he ever played wing, but he seems to be more comfortable at center. I don't think we're overly attached to him, but he should still be considered a guy with room to grow.

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Pukboy5kroner

I think he played some wing earlier this season (I think it was on a line with Weiss), specifically in the game vs. Montreal where Booth scored on the penalty shot. And he's got pretty good speed.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 04:35 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
I think he played some wing earlier this season (I think it was on a line with Weiss), specifically in the game vs. Montreal where Booth scored on the penalty shot. And he's got pretty good speed.
i think he's played all over the place.

regarding the poster's real question, i'm not sure tallon's going to give him up very easily as he's stated he wanted to build with size down the middle and .. that's matthias. he hasn't been super productive this year but that's ok, he won a spot and thanks to guys like santorelli and dadanov, there's a nice competition for top minutes but the pressure of being the guy the team's counting on is pretty much off his shoulders (unlike some of our past prospects). so while people complain about pete's handling of his minutes, i think he's right about where he should be.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:34 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i think he's played all over the place.

regarding the poster's real question, i'm not sure tallon's going to give him up very easily as he's stated he wanted to build with size down the middle and .. that's matthias. he hasn't been super productive this year but that's ok, he won a spot and thanks to guys like santorelli and dadanov, there's a nice competition for top minutes but the pressure of being the guy the team's counting on is pretty much off his shoulders (unlike some of our past prospects). so while people complain about pete's handling of his minutes, i think he's right about where he should be.
This. The Panthers biggest need right now is at the center position. While Matthias isn't "untouchable", it really makes little sense for the Panthers to trade from their position of greatest weakness. Unless a better center was coming back, I just can't see the Panthers moving him.

He seems to be progressing nicely. Hoping to see good things from him within the next year or two.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Erick

I'll probably get criticized for saying this, but Matthias is a guy who deserves more playing time. Our coach, however, seems to have very little patience with him, and often benches him for no reason.

Matthias has outplayed some of the guys earning bigger minutes on the team, yet he's only averaging 12 minutes per game. The last three games he hasn't even reached 10.

For the amount of ice time he gets (basically 4th line minutes), he's been productive. His play continues to improve, as well.

I don't know what the plan is for him, but I would hope he starts playing more, soon.

Watching him play, and looking at his gamelogs, it seems like he'd be a better fit at wing, at times. Maybe that's why he doesn't play. I don't know the exact #, but looking at his gamelogs on the main site, he's had a lot of games where his faceoff% has been unimpressive.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote