HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stubbs: ''I won't be the same Andrei Markov...I'll be better''

Old
01-14-2011, 08:49 PM
icerocket

vCash: 500
I just want him to play more than 0 games.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:58 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I just want him to play more than 0 games.
He played 7 this year!

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
And come on, about Tinordi, 4 years is an exageration.
It most definitely is not.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:02 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
if Gauthier don't sign him ,I hope he will be fired
Yes cause every GM should re-sign their UFA players who have had knee injuries to the same knee in less than 8 months, and a cut Achilles tendon to long term deals when they are over 30!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Yes cause every GM should re-sign their UFA players who have had knee injuries to the same knee in less than 8 months, and a cut Achilles tendon to long term deals when they are over 30!

Yes cause every top ten defencemen should be let go because of an injury history, I mean, clearly he will miss every season for the next 5 years. We'll just go out and grab another top 10 defenceman, No probs man! (Poster above you didn't mention anything about long term. )

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I bet that he re-signs with the Habs and that his cap hit will be of over $5M per. I'm just hoping that it's for no more than 2-3 years.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
No-brainer IMO...especially with how loyal he's been to the Habs organization, it would be classeless to do what so many posters here want and to just dump him off this offseason.
Bizactly. Call me an optimist, but my gut tells me he'll have a huge bounce back year. I understand any tentativeness, but I think he'll have learned a ton about proper rehab from this reinjury. I still think he came back a bit too early and won't make the same mistake again.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
stubbadub

He's going to sign for 7 years, 28 million dollars. Hometown discount and also lower cap in case he gets badly injured beyond repair. His type of game is sustainable until he's 40. Just wait until his old man strength kicks in and he can shoot a puck 100 mph.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:37 AM
FF de Mars

If I were a GM of another team, I'd offer Markov a contract for sure. Remember Streit ?

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I admire Markov's positive attitude but I'm very skeptical about the potential of seeing him back to his old self, let alone be better. He wasn't the shadow of himself this season before getting hurt.
If he were 36 I might be more worried about how he looked this season, but any player's going to take a while to look alright after missing masses of time.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Guy Caballero

"We can rebuild him we have the technology."

Worked for Souray for a while. But the knees? I'm skeptical. The good thing is that Markov's game doesn't depend on top-notch mobility. As long as he maintains his great footwork at the point and can continue to angle guys out on D, he'll be very effective. Markov is a great Hab, and they have to do whatever they can to rehabilitate him fully in Montreal. He's put in his dues and he's worth taking the chance on.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:36 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't doubt him one bit...count me as one of the few who thinks this team still needs Markov and absolutely want him back with the Habs next year
i am ON board with that. these guys are professional athletes. We need him, and i highly beleive he will be resigned

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:32 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's a chance you take. You don't give him a lifetime contract but 2-3 years, even 4(at less money for his financial security) you do. Honestly, if he gets injured, it comes off the cap, and as a fan, it doesn't even change anything about our team except his paycheck gets covered by what, insurance or the team pays it anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I don't understand why people are against signing him long term. If he tears his ACL again in 2 or 3 years, he goes on the IR and we can spend the money elsewhere.

It's not a simple has his salary just coming off the cap though. It's pretty much impossible to get a player of Markov's caliber in the middle of the season unless we are willing to part with major assets. He gets hurt and we're stuck playing another season shorthanded.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:19 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

No brainer, if he wants to re-sign with us PG better work on it ASAP.

there is no single UFA D (next summer) close to Markov's caliber... and there isnt many of Hamrlik caliber or better either...

so if we sign him and he gets injured again we have Hamrlik (or equivalent) as our #1 D - assuming he wants to stay here for at least another season... if we dont sign him, we have Hamrlik as our #1 D...

and who's to say Hammer would want to stay here knowing he'll have all the responsabilities (so to speak) ? I mean, the guy is on his last miles in the NHL, he may want to take it easy, like no more facing top lines, or be 1st pair on PK or something...

Not only that, look at teams who went to the SCF in recent years, they all had : Lidstrom, Pronger, Keith, Gonchar, Seabrook, etc...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Picaroon

Sign him. No matter what it takes. I believe he is an honest person and he obviously loves Montreal so I highly doubt he is going to try and rip Montreal off. We will get him at 5.5 for 3. Also, he and PK seem to get along great which is really good news. I would also sign Gill. He is an amazing leader for the young guys.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:44 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
It's not a simple has his salary just coming off the cap though. It's pretty much impossible to get a player of Markov's caliber in the middle of the season unless we are willing to part with major assets. He gets hurt and we're stuck playing another season shorthanded.
Then that is the chance you take. Replacing a player of Markov's calibre in the off season won't be easy either. Look at how much we've had to overpay UFA's to come here, Cammy, Gio etc.... replacing Markov this summer with someone else means more money than what Markov would cost.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Markov won't get 5.5M but I can see him getting a 3-4 years contract at 4M/y.
Gill at 2M: more like 1.5M
Total: 15.7

But then, there is Emelin that may come in the picture.
With Emelin we are back with almost 18M.

Not bad... Oups, very good.
4mil/y?! yeah..that will happen. You offer Markov 4 mil and some other team will be glad to offer him 5.5mil minimum over that same period. Guess where he'll end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post

You say over 30 like it's over 50! an athlete in his 30's is considered his prime years, especially NHL d-men that don't usually develop into top notch quality players until mid to late 20's. Just look at Lidstrom, Chara, Pronger, Gonchar or Kaberle, all over 30 and all top 10 d-men.

Quote:
And what guarantee do you have that any other player we sign wont get hurt? injuries are part of the game, it's just bad luck that Markov got hurt twice in a short period of time.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:06 AM
BLONG7

Tough call on Markov's contract status...PG and Meehan will definitely have more than one meeting on this one...I say he stays, but one thing for certain, we are a better team in the last two seasons without him, which may help PG more than Meehan in the negotiations...I think you may see a 3 yr deal around 15M somewhat of a hometown discount, but at a longer length than many expect, given the recent history...both sides kinda win...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:45 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Still, with Lidstrom retiring, Markov is the best PP QB in the NHL to me. 50M to 60M for 10 years would seem adequate. Give him security.
Paying him $6m when he is 43 is ridiculous. Paying him for 10 years is a bad move when he'd accept a 5 year deal for the same money.

Even Pronger is only going to make a half million when he's in his 40's.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Tough call on Markov's contract status...PG and Meehan will definitely have more than one meeting on this one...I say he stays, but one thing for certain, we are a better team in the last two seasons without him, which may help PG more than Meehan in the negotiations...I think you may see a 3 yr deal around 15M somewhat of a hometown discount, but at a longer length than many expect, given the recent history...both sides kinda win...

How do you figure? His injuries the last 2 years put us in the "battle for 8th" instead of battling for 4th-5th-6th in the conference(maybe #1 in the division), and may have ultimately cost us a shot at the finals last year(imagine Markov playing 20+ a night instead of Bergeron!!).

Quote:
The best case scenario is to sign him well below market value(1 year 4.5 mil) and use the extra cash to add a top 4 guy(Ehrhoff Kaberle Pitkanen type) plus keep Gorges Hamrlik in case he gets hurt again...worst case you add another Wiz type for a pick midseason.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:54 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

How do you figure? His injuries the last 2 years put us in the "battle for 8th" instead of battling for 4th-5th-6th in the conference(maybe #1 in the division), and may have ultimately cost us a shot at the finals last year(imagine Markov playing 20+ a night instead of Bergeron!!).
I didn't take the poster's comment that way. I took it to mean the Canadiens have been able to cope better without Markov than in the past. And in all due respect the Canadiens barely made the playoffs last year with Markov and Gorges in the lineup. Having said that they still coped better overall because there were a lot more injuries (O'Byrne, Gill, Mara, Bergeron, Hamrlik) on D last year besides Markov.

Also the team got off to a very decent start without Markov this year. In fact they slumped a little when he came back into the lineup.

I think the Canadiens should re-sign Markov but I just don't what the ceiling is. And if they do re-sign him I sure hope the rest of the D isn't "built" just around him. And the latter part scares a bit because I don't have the confidence that Markov will be able to stay on the ice. I didn't have that confidence when he missed those couple of games before the Olympics. Since then he's had two major knee injuries.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:50 AM
angry pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
And what guarantee do you have that any other player we sign wont get hurt? injuries are part of the game, it's just bad luck that Markov got hurt twice in a short period of time.
The same guarantee that you have that he doesn't. Except I'm starting to have history on my side. After this season is said and done Markov will have played a total of 53 games out of 183 over the last 2 seasons. Add a few more if we make the playoffs this year. He's only played 29% of our games. That's a bit of a liability when your talking 5.7 Million dollars. EDIT *sorry, it's 60 games for 33%*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Then that is the chance you take. Replacing a player of Markov's calibre in the off season won't be easy either. Look at how much we've had to overpay UFA's to come here, Cammy, Gio etc.... replacing Markov this summer with someone else means more money than what Markov would cost.
We have no idea what Markov is going to cost. I don't think he's going to accept a major paycut to stay in Montreal. I don't care how much he likes it here. We may get a hometown discount but it's not going to be for less than 5M. IMO this is going to be a major contract for him. Someone will sign him big for 5 or 6 years. I'm just still on the fence as to whether it should be us or not.

Quote:
The best case scenario is to sign him well below market value(1 year 4.5 mil) and use the extra cash to add a top 4 guy(Ehrhoff Kaberle Pitkanen type) plus keep Gorges Hamrlik in case he gets hurt again...worst case you add another Wiz type for a pick midseason.
1 year at 4.5 and I sign in a heartbeat. That would be a no brainer for me. I just don't think that's realistic.

I'm also very big on Ehrhoff. If I thought we could get Ehrhoff I'd be comfortable letting Markov go. Although I think with the money Markov and Ehrhoff will want this off season it's more of a case of one or the other.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Markov's situation is one of the few that allow for performance bonuses to be built into the contract. That would be Nirvana for both parties because it makes a lucrative one year deal available to Markov with insurance built in for the team.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:20 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Some confusion, I meant we have been better the last 2 seasons without him, than the previous year or two he was hurt, and we were brutal, one season we were 3-13 without him...at least now we can actually win when he is not around...don't get me wrong, this guy is huge for the Habs, and I would hate to see him anywhere else...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Edgy

Quote:
The same guarantee that you have that he doesn't. Except I'm starting to have history on my side. After this season is said and done Markov will have played a total of 53 games out of 183 over the last 2 seasons. Add a few more if we make the playoffs this year. He's only played 29% of our games. That's a bit of a liability when your talking 5.7 Million dollars. EDIT *sorry, it's 60 games for 33%*
Actually history can be on my side as well, Markov's recovery history indicates that he is resilient and capable of bouncing back given sufficient time to heal. Last time around he wasn't given that and was rushed back because our D was getting quite brutal.

Also taking the stats from the past 2 seasons only? typical what have you done for me mentality. How about the 4 seasons between the lockout and the injury where he played 304 games of 328 or 92%.

Following your logic then we shouldn't offer Gorges or any other player for that matter more than a 1 year deal just in case they get an injury that requires lengthy recovery.

Top 10 d-men don't come cheap nor are they easy to find, more so those that are willing to play in Montreal. You'll end up having to overpay someone lesser than Markov to play in his position and carry his workload, whether that person will be able to or not you can't know just yet. I'd rather keep Markov and get a good second pairing guy to help take some of the pressure off him.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote