HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik confident he will snap out of goal-scoring slump

Old
01-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

vCash: 500
Gaborik confident he will snap out of goal-scoring slump

Jesse Spector has a nice writeup on Marian Gaborik's quest to snap out of his recent goal-scoring slump. Click here.

Some quotes to note:

Quote:
"It's going to come eventually," Gaborik told the Daily News Friday. "It always has. I think every player, every guy that's a goal scorer goes through these. I know this year especially hasn't been going for me, so I just have to keep trying. The most important thing is the team goes well."
Quote:
"Both games, he's [Wolski] been good," Gaborik said. "He's had chances and scored a big goal for us last game, so I think he's playing with confidence. Definitely, you can see he's excited to be here and excited to play."
Quote:
"I think he's gonna get going," John Tortorella said. "I think the new guy coming in is gonna help us."
Quote:
"It takes time to get back into your game, but that's [shoulder injury] not an issue now," Gaborik said. "You go through some soreness and pain here and there, but that's the way it is with everybody through a season."

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:19 AM
JayQueensNY88*

ofcourse he is,hes a superstar,.i personally think hes playing injured,but thats me.

Its like saying is Ovechkin done,he is having far from the season anyone expected...everyone hgoes through slumps,i hate these retarded articles.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:52 AM
E Nixson
Powered by Intel

Gaborik is going to benefit greatly with Wolski being on his line. He needs someone with creativity in the offensive zone to find a lane and set him up in the dirty areas. There aren't many guys on our team that can make the sneaky pass to the open man in the high slot, and two of them are rookies.
I say Gaborik gets his footing within the next 5 games and regains his composure down the stretch.

E Nixson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Barnaby

I think he misses Vinny Prospal... not that Prospal is a superstar, but the two guys def had chemistry. Hopefully Gaborik can find that with Wolski... oh yea, and hopefully Prospal comes back strong at some point ;-)

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:12 AM
beastly115

Guy's definitely had opportunities. Puck just isn't finding the back of the net.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
TrollololBoyle

He's been getting some great chances, especially the other night, they'll find the net eventually, it's not like the Rangers as a whole are playing a new system (like the Capitals and defense which has reduced their scoring as a whole) and Gaborik can't fit in with it. Gaborik has still done his part and contributed well despite his lack of potting goals. The chance he created that led to Wolski's goal was brilliant.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:55 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
It pains me to say this because I dislike him a lot, but Erik Christensen centering Gaborik and Wolski would probably spark those guys. EC is creative and has the best chemistry with Gaborik on the team (sad but true).

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:28 AM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I think he misses Vinny Prospal... not that Prospal is a superstar, but the two guys def had chemistry. Hopefully Gaborik can find that with Wolski... oh yea, and hopefully Prospal comes back strong at some point ;-)

I agree with your diagnosis. I would also submit that Prospal's absence is felt most accutely at the power play. It was decent last year and now it suffers from lack of Wenceslaus.

jdhebner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:38 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Its good to see hes recognizing it, but he's deffintslly playing hurt. His shoulder still has to be messed up he's shooting with his arms now, that breakaway all wrist and his shots from up top are all a crisp wrist shot; I cant remember the last time he pulled it back and slung one on net. But I'm sure he'll get over his injuries and get back into it, he's not the the kind of guy that's just going slack off and be gone he'll break out of it and honestly I have feeling it's long to come a good time, to possibly shoot us up inthe standings and get us really going o the playoff push.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He has scored on pace for only 29 goals over the course of an 82 game season. Very un-Gaborik esque.

and 6 of his 11 goals have been in 2 games. I'm not a Gaborik "basher" but we aren't unreasonable to expect a little more than we have been getting, which is much closer to the post-olympic last year Gaborik than the early season Gaborik.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I have been trying to say for a while to our ignorant bandwagon fans, that this guy is a superstar. People have been saying trade him, its just stupid. He will be HUGE for us down the stretch of the season and into the Playoffs.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Stepanformayor*

Why is it so hard for people to understand that this guy is not a superstar? When he shows to Ranger fans that he is in the top 25-30 forwards in the NHL, the i will call him a elite player. He does not work hard enough to be a superstar!!! He has had a awful year. Period!!! Can you imagane where we would be had this guy showed up for half the games we played? He is on the slide down folks.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
instead, how about gaborik 100% healthy for a possible solid playoff run. it makes me begin to drool

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:09 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Why is it so hard for people to understand that this guy is not a superstar? When he shows to Ranger fans that he is in the top 25-30 forwards in the NHL, the i will call him a elite player. He does not work hard enough to be a superstar!!! He has had a awful year. Period!!! Can you imagane where we would be had this guy showed up for half the games we played? He is on the slide down folks.
So... last year you called him an elite player but this year he's not even a superstar? Because last year he was a top 10 forward in the NHL, offensively. The guy is having a bad year and I could see him maybe not returning to the incredible form he showed last year, but he's certainly better than he is showing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I have been trying to say for a while to our ignorant bandwagon fans, that this guy is a superstar. People have been saying trade him, its just stupid. He will be HUGE for us down the stretch of the season and into the Playoffs.

I have mentioned several times that I'm not adverse to trading him, for the right return + the freeing up of cap space to make another impact signing, but I would never advocate for trading him because I believe he is not an elite talent or think he should be dumped from the roster. There's a difference between being open to move a guy (feeling he's far from untouchable) and WANTING to trade him. Gaborik's talent, or superstardom, is not what's in question here. What is, in my opinion is WHY he's not producing and, if he doesn't pick it up by May, whether or not he fits the NYR system going forward.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

keep gaby with w2 and step and throw away the key. thats a solid line. work them on the pp too. chemistry is king. give them time and that line will produce.

i dont like ec. i dont like ec's game. he should be no where near the 1c. hes not part of the core nor part of the future. guys a tool.

healthy scratch him. i want to see the norwegian midget get more minutes over ec.

once cally returns, we should be set 1-9.

im starting to like this team especially if we can get a dman who can add some nasty to the blueline.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Really? After last years career year, now he has been hurt and not producing as much. and now hes not an elite player, not a superstar. He is one of the top 5 goal scorers in the league. He will hit his stride he has just been in a bit of a slump. He still has 24 points in 31 games. of course not near what he could be, but he has been playing good lately as well. He has hit some posts, he has been working hard. Our only goal vs vancouver, he hit the post on the goal and it bounced to W2. On aves goal the other night, it was a gabby shot off the post. He will be fine, and he is NOT on the slide down folks.

Old
01-15-2011, 12:53 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Saw it in the paper this morning, lol. Was wondering if it would make it's way on here.

I agree with the fact that Gaborik will eventually start scoring. It doesn't seem to be too good a year for goal scorers. Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Gaborik, possibly the 3 most dangerous snipers in the game, are on pace for about a combined 70 goals.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Maybe because he is?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:39 PM
HockeyBurd*

He's been there, done that.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Stepanformayor*

If you thnik that being 138th in scoring in the NHL is elite, than there is no need is responding. I think we all could name 25-30 more effective players in the leauge. The All Star game just picked 24. He does not, and never has made anyone around him better. Ala Sid, Toews, Stamkos. I will say it again 5 goals in 26 games. Brutal!!!! That is not elite to me.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:10 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
2009-2010 statistics
10th in the league in points (86)
5th in the league in goals (42)
27th in assists (44)
I'd say that's probably much better than that 25-30 forwards in the league, he also led the rangers in all those stars, does that prove he was a superstar in 2009-2010 having an injury full down year in 2011; or no because you didn't think to look at the stats to see that he was in fact better than 25-30t in the league.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
If you thnik that being 138th in scoring in the NHL is elite, than there is no need is responding. I think we all could name 25-30 more effective players in the leauge. The All Star game just picked 24. He does not, and never has made anyone around him better. Ala Sid, Toews, Stamkos. I will say it again 5 goals in 26 games. Brutal!!!! That is not elite to me.
You are basing that on what? A very small sample size of an injury ridden season, taking out 2 hat tricks that he had. Which is not the way to go about Statistics, you dont take out his 2 best games then make your point.

Old
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

My Prediction, for what it's worth: Gaborik will come out flying after the All Star Break.

I think that it's a nice needed break for him to rest up and try to make sure his shoulder is at least pretty solid. I think he will finish the season strong from the ASB on.

01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
haveandare

Quote:
So he's not very good but if he showed up we'd be amazing? You are literally saying he's good and not good in the same sentence. Make sense.

My only problem this season is that he doesn't look like he's playing the same game. He doesn't look like he has the same sense of urgency. He isn't rushing to the puck like he used to and when he finds it on his stick he isn't confident in his snipe like he used to be. Also I haven't seen him turn on the jets very much this season. However, I think he'll find that stride again soon. He's been way too consistent over his career for him to all of a sudden lose his touch.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
My Prediction, for what it's worth: Gaborik will come out flying after the All Star Break.

I think that it's a nice needed break for him to rest up and try to make sure his shoulder is at least pretty solid. I think he will finish the season strong from the ASB on.
And that's perfect considering that's playoff push time.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote