HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

SOB suspended 2 games

Old
01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
OpenWheel

vCash: 500
More deliberate than I remembered. I saw the scrum at the time and was pretty sure his stick had got him but I thought he had poked lower and had it knocked up a bit. I can't believe that got two games though. Happens sometimes that a player jabs another one when he takes exception to someone poking at a puck he thinks the goalie has covered. I doubt SOB intended to get him in the face.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:27 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If there is a spearing motion without contact it's an automatic double minor. If it makes contact then it's a major, and if the contact results in injury then it's a match penalty. SOB deserved a major at least, and I think the fact that it's him coupled with it being to the face (and I think drawing blood) caused the suspension.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 05:30 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, it surely was a spearing motion.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
If you: are a star player, popular player in a big market you can pretty much get away with a lot. If you are a star or popular player in a big market you can get away with murder.

It looked pretty deliberate to me. I'd say a major based on intent and a maximum one-game suspension, if any suspension at all.

Not like it will hurt us that much, though. Sulzer should be able to step in and play 15 minutes pretty easily.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
glenngineer

The suspension is because he's a repeat offender. That's what I read on the Tennessean. It was either in the article or in the comments. I am truly amazed at this suspension though. Nothing on Hossa in the playoffs last year on Hamhuis. Nothing on Allen for jumping Tootoo from behind on a completely legal hit on Frolik. Nothing for Boll for jumping into a scrum at the end of the last Columbus game. There is no rhyme or reason for these sorts of suspensions. Star players get away with lots of stuff because of their star power. Remember Pronger getting 8 games for stepping on someone but Simon got 25 games for basically the same offense? Until the league mandates the same rules for everyone across the board, this will continue to baffle all of us fans.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:00 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
The suspension is because he's a repeat offender. That's what I read on the Tennessean. It was either in the article or in the comments. I am truly amazed at this suspension though. Nothing on Hossa in the playoffs last year on Hamhuis. Nothing on Allen for jumping Tootoo from behind on a completely legal hit on Frolik. Nothing for Boll for jumping into a scrum at the end of the last Columbus game. There is no rhyme or reason for these sorts of suspensions. Star players get away with lots of stuff because of their star power. Remember Pronger getting 8 games for stepping on someone but Simon got 25 games for basically the same offense? Until the league mandates the same rules for everyone across the board, this will continue to baffle all of us fans.
And that makes the game worse....What happened to everyone being treated like equals?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
And that makes the game worse....What happened to everyone being treated like equals?
Huh? I am not following this.

Old
01-14-2011, 07:16 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Huh? I am not following this.
Im saying that superstars should not be able to get away with dirty or suspension worthy plays just because they are a star. No matter the player they should have the same consequences as players that arent stars.

Therefore imo it makes the game worse IMO if players are not treated equally. Star or not you deserve the same punishment

Last edited by I Will Son: 01-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old
01-14-2011, 07:40 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Im saying that superstars should not be able to get away with dirty or suspension worthy plays just because they are a star. No matter the player they should have the same consequences as players that arent stars.

Therefore imo it makes the game worse IMO if players are not treated equally. Star or not you deserve the same punishment
That's what I thought you were saying but I've had a long day of thinking so I didn't wrap my head around what you were saying. I agree for what it's worth. Unfortunately this has never been the case in any sport.

Old
01-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Quick quiz: Name the player(s) from opposing teams to receive supplemental discipline for an infraction against a Pred.
Only one I can think of is Sundin throwing his stick in Toronto. Wasn't aganist a player or even called during the game. 2 games seems fair after watching the video.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I think that Sulzer will be stepping in. He hasn't played in quite a while and could use the ice time. I can't believe he doesn't get played more. I know Nashville is deep on defense, but he'd be a bottom pairing defenseman on most NHL teams.
My sister's friend ran into Sulzer at work today and gave him a haircut, might be getting it trimmed for the game tomorrow.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Anyone seriously questioning where the suspension was on the Thrasher that split Weber's lip literally in two down in Atlanta a few weeks ago? I'm throwing on the tin foil hat here...this is 100% ********!
Yeah that game was a double whammy. It was Ladd that got his stick up in Weber's face which required 20-30 stitches. No call at all. Then later in the game Weber get's called for a penalty and Ladd scores the go ahead goal.

Looking at the replay with SOB and Weiss yeah it looks bad but 2 games? WTF?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
That's what I thought you were saying but I've had a long day of thinking so I didn't wrap my head around what you were saying. I agree for what it's worth. Unfortunately this has never been the case in any sport.
Very true. I mean im kinda use to things not going are way here in NSH but its getting old

Old
01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
All players are equal. Some are just more equal than others.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:38 PM
cleangene

Colin Cancer Campbell strikes AGAIN. That fiasco from a few years ago between Toots and the stars showed his complete ignorance, incompetence, and most of all BIAS. I would love to have him visit Nashville so a few of us fans can "show him the town" (mainly the pedestrian bridge) after a game.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:27 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
This is bull. Yeah he got the guy in the face, but it doesn't look worthy of 2 gms.

So let me get this straight...our guys can get boarded and have a separated shoulder and there is no review. Our players can get a high stick in the throat that sends him to the hospital and not only is there no review of the play, there isn't even a penalty. (And is Sean Avery not a repeat offender?) Our players can get sticks in the face that need almost 30 stitches and there is no call or review.

And that is just what I can think of for this season.

Welcome to playing in a southern market Shane.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:04 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

We should give the NHL a piece of our minds!! aint gonna happen is it?

Old
01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Get your hats ready

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I understand the anger towards officials in the NHL seemingly ignoring actions against the Preds that should warrant suspensions, but that has nothing to do with what SOB did. What Shane did doesn't belong in the game, and he deserved a suspension. I don't really think anything else is valid in this discussion, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 01-15-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: poor wording... clarification
ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:24 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I get the anger towards officials in the NHL seemingly ignoring actions against the Preds that should warrant suspensions, but that has nothing to do with what SOB did. What Shane did doesn't belong in the game, and he deserved a suspension. I don't really think anything else is valid in this discussion, but that's just my opinion.
That's how I feel too. It's one thing to injury someone in a hockey play, what he did was not a hockey play.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Dodgie

I don't think most people here have a problem with the league giving O'Brien a suspension. The problem stems from the COMPLETE lack of consistency in the NHL's officiating and subsequent suspensions. How one player gets penalized and another with a similar or even WORSE infraction gets nothing. That's what upsets ME more.

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:02 AM
braindead

Quote:
I understand the anger towards officials in the NHL seemingly ignoring actions against the Preds that should warrant suspensions, but that has nothing to do with what SOB did. What Shane did doesn't belong in the game, and he deserved a suspension. I don't really think anything else is valid in this discussion, but that's just my opinion.
I agree completely. 1 for the act, 1 for being a repeat offender. Seems about right. The fact that other screwups by the league exist doesn't change the facts here.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:04 PM
predfan24

Quote:
My problem is inconsistency. For example I'm not excusing what SOB did. He clearly meant to give a poke to Weiss. Yet I highly doubt the intent was to get him in the face. How is that any different from Hossa dangerously pushing Hamhuis from behind? He didn't "mean" for the play to turn out the way it did. But it was dangerous and one day someone is going to break their neck on a play like that. But I guess since Hossa didn't have "intent" for the play to end up the way it did then it is OK.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I agree 100% with the league's ruling here.

For the record, I do not think Hossa deserved suspension for the hit on Hamhuis. Maybe a game misconduct, but not a suspension.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:02 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I agree 100% with the league's ruling here.

For the record, I do not think Hossa deserved suspension for the hit on Hamhuis. Maybe a game misconduct, but not a suspension.
It was the same hit that Ovie put on Campbell. The only reason Hossa didn't get a suspension is because Hamhuis didn't get injured. The penalty shouldn't be on if a guy is hurt or not, it should depend on the play itself, was it dangerous? In that case, yes, Hossa should've been gone, regardless of intent. It's like saying, oh, I just mean to rough him up a bit and it costs a guy his career. These guys need to be responsible for everything they do on the ice. SOB deserved the suspension but the league needs to look deeper into this situation and lay out suspensions for all acts that are worthy, regardless of who committed them.