HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What ever happend to Danny Gare?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM
  #1
Anarchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: M-ville ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Anarchy
What ever happend to Danny Gare?

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I liked his commentary, and dont remember ever being given a reason for his disappearance.

Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:16 AM
  #2
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Nothing really happened with him FSN just replaced him with someone who sucks more.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:11 AM
  #3
Doug19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: Aland Islands
Posts: 6,155
vCash: 500
a lot more.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:53 AM
  #4
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,248
vCash: 500
In his first season after Brian Engblom went to Versus, Gare was gawd awful. The Worst Ever... Davidge hasn't gotten any better, but I really don't think he's gotten markedly worse, maybe I just no longer really listen to him and Rimer so much, but that first season with Gare was tough.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
  #5
jktsfan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Sorry that I cannot fully answer your questions but I know this:

He is running color commentary for another team in the NHL - I saw him recently as I was browsing NHL Center Ice. I just can't remember which team he was with but I think it was an Eastern Conference team.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:18 AM
  #6
eljefe72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 2,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktsfan View Post
Sorry that I cannot fully answer your questions but I know this:

He is running color commentary for another team in the NHL - I saw him recently as I was browsing NHL Center Ice. I just can't remember which team he was with but I think it was an Eastern Conference team.
I THINK it's the Sabres (maybe I'm just remembering that because he played for them).

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
  #7
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe72 View Post
I THINK it's the Sabres (maybe I'm just remembering that because he played for them).
And yet another guy that takes advantage of cutting his teeth in his profession with the "training wheels of the NHL", Columbus.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM
  #8
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
Eh, the CBJ wasn't Danny's first time at the broadcast rodeo. He did TV for Buffalo before he came here. I thought I read that Danny is doing Sabres telecasts again today, I think as a Ray Crawford-style host.

I miss his enthusiasm honestly. I remember some people on here were celebrating Danny getting canned, thinking Davidge on TV would be SUCH an upgrade...

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
  #9
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Jaxs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,272
vCash: 500
Yeah I didnt mind Gare. He made lots of goofs, mispronunciations and using the wrong words at times ( sounds like Rimer eh) but he gave it his all.

Sprague is right, he is doing a similar gig as is Eddie Munster.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
  #10
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express
 
JF Omalycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
I liked Gare a lot, but I'm not one to nitpick everything that comes out of the broadcasters mouths.
Davidge doesn't bother me, either. A little repetitive sometimes, but what the hell.
Some of you folks will look for anything to gripe about.

JF Omalycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:30 AM
  #11
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,941
vCash: 500
I thought Davidge was pretty good on radio, so I'm disappointed in his TV work. Maybe the difference is in his partner?

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
  #12
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,825
vCash: 500
I liked the mix of George & Bill on the radio because George had his rapid-fire, enthusiastic style of calling the game & when you wanted sort of a recap of what just happened, Bill came in with it and the "verbal replay" along with an explanation. Example:

George: "Nash, in and across the line, centers for Vermette, there's a DRIIIIVE, and a save made with a stoppage in play, 6:04 left in the second period of a 1-1 tie."
Bill: "And you know what, a great effort by Nash, he carried in with Vermette the trailer, gets it to Vermette, he had the lane and room to shoot, got the shot on goal. Could've used a little more there, might have had him had he gone glove instead of stick side, but a good effort by Antoine with a better stop by Jimmy Howard."

It complemented George well on the radio.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:13 AM
  #13
bluejacket74
Registered User
 
bluejacket74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Reynoldsburg, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I liked the mix of George & Bill on the radio because George had his rapid-fire, enthusiastic style of calling the game & when you wanted sort of a recap of what just happened, Bill came in with it and the "verbal replay" along with an explanation. Example:

George: "Nash, in and across the line, centers for Vermette, there's a DRIIIIVE, and a save made with a stoppage in play, 6:04 left in the second period of a 1-1 tie."
Bill: "And you know what, a great effort by Nash, he carried in with Vermette the trailer, gets it to Vermette, he had the lane and room to shoot, got the shot on goal. Could've used a little more there, might have had him had he gone glove instead of stick side, but a good effort by Antoine with a better stop by Jimmy Howard."

It complemented George well on the radio.
I agree, I liked listening to George & Bill on the radio a lot because they worked together pretty well. Bill & Rimer on TV, not so much.

bluejacket74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:45 AM
  #14
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,139
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacket74 View Post
I agree, I liked listening to George & Bill on the radio a lot because they worked together pretty well. Bill & Rimer on TV, not so much.
Davidge was good on radio. I would like to see Tyler Wright as our tv analyst

and please get rid of Rimer. Maybe that can be our new slogan

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:24 PM
  #15
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rt. 29 in Melonville
Posts: 2,073
vCash: 500
I think Gare did go back to Buffalo to work on their broadcasts.

Either that or he's drinking margaritas and strumming his six-string on his front porch down in Key West. I could easily picture him doing that right now.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:27 PM
  #16
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,637
vCash: 500
Gare > Rimer > Davidge

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:57 PM
  #17
TaketheCannoli
RIP
 
TaketheCannoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 500
He's a studio analyst for Sabres broadcasts. Its more like the analysts on Rangers or Devils TV broadcasts or perhaps the guys on CBC than what FSO has done.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
  #18
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
He's a studio analyst for Sabres broadcasts. Its more like the analysts on Rangers or Devils TV broadcasts or perhaps the guys on CBC than what FSO has done.
Yep I watched the Sabres broadcast when the Jackets played them, and that's what he was doing.

On a related note, yes my seats are about 30 ft away from the booth, but at times last night, the arena was so quiet I could hear Billy D doing his TV thing.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 01:48 PM
  #19
odd brian
 
odd brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I miss his enthusiasm honestly. I remember some people on here were celebrating Danny getting canned, thinking Davidge on TV would be SUCH an upgrade...
I know. But that 2009 off-season was just flat out weird anyway. Jim Day and Gare got the door and Rimer was allowed to stay, then the details about why Day was fired by the team (i.e., he didn't sugar coat or blow sunshine like ******), on-air folks not being allowed to acknowledge JMAC when the Jackets clinched a playoff spot.

This front office has been flaky but no more so than that year.

EDIT: Meanwhile, Dan Kelly, Jr., was working with the Blackhawks.


Last edited by odd brian: 01-15-2011 at 01:57 PM.
odd brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:30 PM
  #20
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna
 
Matt Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rt. 29 in Melonville
Posts: 2,073
vCash: 500
I turned on the Big Ten Network the other day and none other than Dan Kelly Jr. was calling a women's hockey game. He even made one of his patented references, ie "the big junior from Minnesota".

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:45 PM
  #21
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman
 
1857 Howitzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 5,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I miss his enthusiasm honestly. I remember some people on here were celebrating Danny getting canned, thinking Davidge on TV would be SUCH an upgrade...
I was one of those people and boy was I wrong.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
  #22
EdwardG
North!
 
EdwardG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
I can't stand either of the announcers. Rimer is boring, Bill D. is a doubly-boring, walking factory of cliches. I think this team would do well to get someone in the color seat who can cast more of a critical eye on the team. When the record is bad, why is it bad? What does the team need to do to be better?

To those who say it's bad PR, no, losing is bad PR. Honesty and passion actually makes me want to watch a broadcast instead of someone who glides over the awful display we're seeing all too consistently.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
  #23
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
I can't stand either of the announcers. Rimer is boring, Bill D. is a doubly-boring, walking factory of cliches.
Billy D. is light years better with the Etch-a-Sketch thingy ("Stop it Right There", then diagram out the play as it develops.) Don't know if that is because the broadcast team didn't work for Danny, or what, but I remember him yelling "SIRT", but the replay continued for 1-2 more seconds. Every time. He would eventually give up. But it seems to work for Billy.
Also, his teaching of the game skit works for me. It may be brutal for you guys who have been around for 30 years, but I learn things pretty much every time. (Did Kinger really start the whole "cycling the puck" maneuver?)
Billy's overuse of the cliche's makes me want to freeze my head in a bucket of water, but I can't say if it is any worse than a lot of other broadcasters.

Quote:
I think this team would do well to get someone in the color seat who can cast more of a critical eye on the team. When the record is bad, why is it bad? What does the team need to do to be better?

To those who say it's bad PR, no, losing is bad PR. Honesty and passion actually makes me want to watch a broadcast instead of someone who glides over the awful display we're seeing all too consistently.
RFT. See Brennaman, Marty

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM
  #24
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
When the record is bad, why is it bad?
And why is it bad? Well I can tell you why its bad... it's bad because they're not skating in straight lines! Stop it right there! There's no support around the puck!

To show what I'm talking about let me take you to Hockey School where I make Tomas Kana and John (Johnny) Moore do repetitive drills while I blow my whistle.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:43 PM
  #25
Rimers stache
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Paris, FRA
Country: France
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Danny Gare cursed us after he left. We need to lift the Danny Gare curse!

Rimers stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.