HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What ever happend to Danny Gare?

Old
01-15-2011, 04:16 PM
odd brian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
Billy's overuse of the cliche's makes me want to freeze my head in a bucket of water, but I can't say if it is any worse than a lot of other broadcasters.
I watch the Bruins on NESN and I'd be hard pressed to find anything bad to say about Andrew Brickley and Jack Edward.

Well, Andrew Brickley, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
RFT. See Brennaman, Marty
The problem with Marty is that he took it to the extreme. The Reds stunk but, lordy, they weren't that bad.

odd brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
OT: Peca is doing Sabre post game Shootout... (oh, the only playoff appearance team in Columbus history included Peca).. just sayin.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
OT: Peca is doing Sabre post game Shootout... (oh, the only playoff appearance team in Columbus history included Peca).. just sayin.
... so?

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
odd brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
... so?
A needle pulling thread.

odd brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
FiveHole23

He is working with the NHL to develop laser beams for the nets.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Jim Day >

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Gare > Rimer > Davidge
I agree.

I also agree that Davidge was good on the radio, because he really painted a good picture. On TV though it's just repetitive. I'm pretty sick of hearing "taking away time and space."

But I'm not too critical of the broadcasters. Rimer doesn't really bother me, but I think George Mathews does a better job on the radio. And I found Gare entertaining, but not overly memorable, maybe because he didn't bother me that much either. He might not have been the best, but it was entertaining. And the "hockey school" is kind of annoying. I'd rather hear about what's going on in the league, maybe trade updates or something. I like the player specials where they ask the players all a question and they respond. Hockey school, with players who don't even play in our system any more (re: kolarik), is somewhat annoying. For the casual fan, I'd tend to think explaining penalties and infractions so they understand stoppages of play better, would interest them more, because then they'd understand more. But that's just my two copecks.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Gare > Rimer > Davidge
Agree with you there, but admit I think Dan Kelly, Jr and Brian Engblom both get > > over those three.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by odd brian View Post
A needle pulling thread.
lol... great response, better than my 135 thought of.

Gare was pretty good, Day a hoot and Emblam the best; all called it the way they saw it as I'm sure Peca did in the room as well. All are gone, if one looks for the answer one may find a conservative midwestern steel industry lurking around.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Anarchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Anarchy
I dont know... he made me laugh.

Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:45 AM
CapnCornelius

Danny was okay, but mysteriously got worse as the game went on. Well, maybe it wasn't much of a mystery.

The biggest coup the organization ever pulled was getting Engblom. Always liked the guy. Felt like having him gave us legitimacy.

Rimer...ugh. Like a bad leftover from a buy-gone era. Everytime I see the guy I'm reminded of the announcer for the Chiefs in Slapshot. Thought for sure that Dougy's best friend would be fired when Doug was let go, but somehow he's still around. Keep hoping Doug finds a new team to run into the ground so that he can take his friend Jeff away from us.

I think I have some sort of sentimental reason for not minding Billy so much. Maybe it is knowing about the bad luck he's had in his life and that he does actually care about the sport of hockey and growing it in the State of Ohio even if he is kind of like listening to an announcer on a hockey video game.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:44 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I liked Gare a lot, but I'm not one to nitpick everything that comes out of the broadcasters mouths.
Davidge doesn't bother me, either. A little repetitive sometimes, but what the hell.
Some of you folks will look for anything to gripe about.
I like Bill.
I wish he were a little more acerbic when needed.
But it's important to remember that our announcers have to LIVE with the team, and thus can't afford the cold-shoulder that plain-speak would likely get them.

Danny Gare was likeable, but a little too befuddled.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Jackets Woodchuck

Was Gare fired due to the post-Game 4 crticism or was that just Rimer?

By the way, I don't get a chance to watch/listen to (official) CBJ TV/radio analysis shows too much. Are they as boring as it seems they would be (given the straitjackets on the announcers)? Up in here in Cleveland, we have an official Browns show called "The Point After" on the NBC affiliate that includes both Browns radio announcers on its panel. The entire show would be a firable offense if JPM owned the Browns.

Jackets Woodchuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

I think I have some sort of sentimental reason for not minding Billy so much. Maybe it is knowing about the bad luck he's had in his life and that he does actually care about the sport of hockey and growing it in the State of Ohio even if he is kind of like listening to an announcer on a hockey video game.
What bad luck has Bill had? Just curious; I really like him as a person (got to know him a little bit). Thx.

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Jorge
Actor,Comedian,Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
I liked the mix of George & Bill on the radio because George had his rapid-fire, enthusiastic style of calling the game & when you wanted sort of a recap of what just happened, Bill came in with it and the "verbal replay" along with an explanation. Example:

George: "Nash, in and across the line, centers for Vermette, there's a DRIIIIVE, and a save made with a stoppage in play, 6:04 left in the second period of a 1-1 tie."
Bill: "And you know what, a great effort by Nash, he carried in with Vermette the trailer, gets it to Vermette, he had the lane and room to shoot, got the shot on goal. Could've used a little more there, might have had him had he gone glove instead of stick side, but a good effort by Antoine with a better stop by Jimmy Howard."

It complemented George well on the radio.
I worked at night quite a bit the first few seasons. A lot of second and third shifts, and a lot of time alone, so the radio was often my only option. I really enjoyed those two on the radio; they just seemed to make a good pairing.

I guess I can deal with the pairings we have in the respective booths, but the way the team handled the changes two years ago seemed somewhat bush league. As I understand it, teams usually let broadcasters know where they stand in February/March?

Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Handyy

Gare is doing a good job with the Sabres in my opinion. I didn't like him when he was a commentator for the Jackets, but he has a different role right now and it suits him much, much better.

Haven't seen a Sabres broadcast this year though, but I saw 5-10 last season.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Mwd711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
Gare is doing a good job with the Sabres in my opinion. I didn't like him when he was a commentator for the Jackets, but he has a different role right now and it suits him much, much better.

Haven't seen a Sabres broadcast this year though, but I saw 5-10 last season.
Gare isn't working for the Sabres full time. That was a temporary gig. He was filling in for Mike Robitaille after Robitaille was in a serious car accident. Robie underwent surgery and had to go through some rehabilitation. He's returned this season.

Before joining the CBJ, Gare was a reporter/analyst during Sabres games - basically the role that Rob Ray currently has with the Sabres. Gare is still living in New York and I'd imagine that he may continue to do some fill in work for Buffalo as time goes by. The Sabres should have an on-air opening soon since I doubt Harry Neale will be around much longer. Neale will probably retire whenever Rick Jeanneret hangs em up.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I wish this thread was titled "Was Gare a good announcer early on?"

Gare evolved into entertainment. In the "so bad, it's good" way.

I've enjoyed Rimer and Davidge in other roles other than the announcers for our games currently. Davidge was good on TV when he was just pre-game. He was even better on the radio with George. Now, I can't stand him.

Rimer is always very entertaining for me when he's on the radio on 97.1. I think he just needs the right partner to work on the games for me. He's proven to be good in other avenues, but he needs a good tag team partner.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Happy Pony

Really shocked that no one said rehab.

Although, who could blame him after spending all those years next to Rimer?

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote