HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quisp: Fantrums

Old
01-15-2011, 10:15 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

vCash: 500
Quisp: Fantrums

http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...36281/fantrums

"For me, I don't think you can actually draw any (at least any drastic) conclusions from less than thirteen or fourteen games. There are six clusters of those in a season (4 x 14, 2 x 13). Now, in the last thirteen games, the Kings have won 5 times.

That sucks.

But is it unusual? Is it reason to "shake things up?"

Last season, the Kings finished with the third highest point total in franchise history, and they went 5-for-13 twice. Coming out of the Olympic break, they did a 13 game run of 4-7-2. And before that, from December 14 to January 14, they went 5-13-0. HEY! JUST LIKE THIS YEAR, AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME!

What about other teams?

How about Chicago? How about Chicago last year? They put together a nice little 3-6-2 run at one point. And the Penguins the year before that (when they won the cup)...let's see...they had a run of 33 games in which they went 12-19-2, which included a deadly 1-7-0 run followed immediately by a limp 6-5-2. And then they got it together.

Did I not tell you back in September that the Kings were not likely to top their 3rd-best-in-franchise-history 101 points this year? Some people seem to think that the Kings strong start was in some sense a lie, and these pathetic frauds now skating around in Kings jerseys -- this is the real team. But it was actually never possible that the Kings would keep up that blistering pace, especially since, if they did, they would have ended up with 132 points, which would have tied them for the highest point total in the history of the National Hockey League.

And even if that did happen, we all know the Kings would be swept in the first round. So, you know, we're actually better off."

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
JCabranes

My wife (who is relatively new to Kings hockey - a Kings fan by marriage) couldn't understand why I wasn't bouncing off the walls in excitement when the Kings were at the top of the Western Conference and battling for 1st all back in November. She would get a little annoyed with me when I would say to her, "Talk to me in February."
I've been a Kings fan for almost 35 years... I've been on this ride before. They suck you in and when you are at the peak of excitement they drop you on your head. It has always been hate a love/hate relationship with this team. I say to all of you now what I say to my wife... talk to me in February. We'll know by mid-February if this team is going to make the playoffs or drop us on our heads again. If they make the playoffs I'll put on my helmet and get sucked in again. Such is the fate of this Kings fan.

JCabranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:39 AM
damacles1156

This coming road trip will decide it for me. I think the Kings playing some solid 500. Hockey is realistic. That would keep me from pretty much throwing the season in the garbage.

Play 500. on the road trip get this attitude turned around, close out Feb strong. Start March with a new attitude.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:44 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Actually, I split the season into 11 seven game stretches and a five game tail.

My brother, who believes in more randomness, dissects the season into one 15 game cluster followed by groupings of 3, 9, 8, two back-to-back 7 game stints, a long late season road trip and a bunch more smaller ones I forgot to write down.

Martians, I know, generally count in threes or multiples thereof.

Finally, long time fan and friend Dewey, (he of the decimal system) groups games of the NHL season into eight 10 game groupings, (or was it ten 8 games clusters) and just discards the last two as anomalies.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:18 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

The Chicago Blackhawks are the true authors of our misery.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I commented on Quisp's article:

Quote:
The Penguins had Sidney Crosby and Malkin and wasn’t part of their rough patches due to injuries? Regardless, they also FIRED their coach mid season because he wasn’t getting the most out of the top 6 and they never looked back on their way to winning the Cup. Had they failed to make a coaching change, would they have won the Cup?

Chicago had a stacked top 6 (especially the top 4) and they had one semi-bad stretch, not several long abortions like the Kings.

I like just about everything you write but focusing on the issues in a vacuum fails to place perspective on the significant differences between the Kings’ plight and that of the Pens and Blackhawks in the past two season. A nice analysis would be what the Kings’ record would have to be going forward to realistically make the playoffs and what the chances of that are with the coming road trip and opponents between now and April. The number is a bit daunting given their record since that 8-0-0 home stand and the only cure for that horror is more Kool-Aid.

Last edited by Zad: 01-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Lanius

Didn't read the article, but I see the title: Fantrums.

There's lots of reactionaries right now, mostly crying about -- predictably -- the coaching and the systems, and calling for Murray's head. It's still too early for that, and for anything else. Though I'd like to see a trade before the all-star break.

That's pretty much what a losing streak can do. Personally, I'm feeling optimistic the Kings can play through this. Hey if things continue to spiral downward next month, then absolutely, make the necessary adjustments to get it back on course.

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:22 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Godel
Kantor
Williams

Fractal Fantrums?

Choas Fantrums?

Nano Relative Fantrums?

Its all in how you look at things.

To me, if your gonna use the word "QUISP" in the title you better be letting us (me) know where I can buy a box or I am going to have had a flashback for no good reason.

Next thread will likely say something like "Freakies Out" alluding to the cereal "freakies" and I will be at Betty Ford faster than Danny Bonaduce at a tranny convention.

I agree with the Feb idea's. If we are still losing games by the deadline then we won't have to worry about what to do, it will be done for us.

I take ease in knowing that we are a very deep and talented team as far as our youth/system is concerned and that at the very worst by next season we will have had the opportunity to replace a considerable number of our "veterans" with more talented players.

As for this year I still think that we will be closer to right than wrong by mid Feb.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I take ease in knowing that we are a very deep and talented team as far as our youth/system is concerned and that at the very worst by next season we will have had the opportunity to replace a considerable number of our "veterans" with more talented players.
Except the "youth" excuse will continue for another few years.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Were not getting older, were getting better.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote