HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter - future at wing or Center?

Old
01-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Mr Oysterhead

vCash: 500
Has Nodl played with Carter at all? I can't seem to recall, but my initial reaction is they haven't played together much.

I think Nodl could work well on Carter's wing as a plugger that can be effective without touching the puck a lot in the offensive zone.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
Has Nodl played with Carter at all? I can't seem to recall, but my initial reaction is they haven't played together much.

I think Nodl could work well on Carter's wing as a plugger that can be effective without touching the puck a lot in the offensive zone.
If we make a deal for a top 9 forward, I think you're looking at some combination of...

JVR-Richards-new guy
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev-Carter/Giroux

And then a 4th line of

Powe-Betts-Nodl

Nice 4th line, IMO.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The best defense is a good offense. My only point is that line was supposed to be a TRAIN WRECK defensively and they are nothing of the sort, despite having our worst defensive center spearheading the unit (a guy who is supposed to be so bad that you argued in the off-season that he would have to be moved to wing).

None of them have Selkes in their future, but they are playing competently enough in their end. In the end the line works despite their deficiencies, because their strengths far outweigh them. We've effectively maximized the production we can get out of all three guys.

That's all I'm looking to do with Giroux, Carter, and Richards. I'm looking to maximize their production. Giroux could do a PPG at center. Carter can score 40 + goals. Both can absolutely terrorize the opposition. I'm not sure either guy can do that on the wing. I suspect Richie can do a PPG and play Selke-quality defense at either position. If that's the case, try him at wing and see if it makes magic. If it doesn't, that's fine. It can't hurt to try it.

I'm pretty sure you feel Carter is also an excellent defensive center, if not to the level of Richards. I agree. I also agree Giroux isn't as good defensively as Richards, but I also think he is at worst average in that area and that he'll continue to make strides. I also think having Richards being on Giroux's flank would make the line an above average line defensively. So your objections about the drop off in defense are noted but exaggerated.

You are looking at things on paper, let's look at them on the ice, which can quite often have results that are far, far different than those you projected on paper.
The results on paper are the empirical reality. I'm not dealing with "projections" I'm dealing with what those guys have done on the ice.

Moving Richards off center is a terrible idea. The team is literally miles better with him on the ice than other forwards on the team. He is the best center on the team... and the best forward on the team. Everyone else should be revolving around him, not the other way around.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Mr. Hollywood, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Come up with some original material if you are gonna try and insult me... Everyone is dumber? That was like 10 years ago... If you are gonna borrow lines from movies, maybe stick with this century...(Billy Madison was an alright movie though)

You elected to try and make yourself appear intelligent... however, you failed to explain to readers how they are now less intelligent after reading my post. Break down my post... on a salary perspective.... which was its purpose.... and explain to me how you can have Carter and Hartnell going forward....
and btw me and you.... best grade in english you ever had... was a c+... just read your own material. You are that guy.... Keep writing. It becomes easier the more you do it.
Whatever you say.... or write... I am smiling... C+ dog. truth hurts... put a little more effort in next time you try and belittle someone.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
If Carter played with the grit and determination he does during certain stretches and games he could be a guy who is a 40-40 type player. Unfortunately I do not think he has the focus and determination to be that guy, he relies on his skills to be the best player he can and sometimes that it not enough at this level of play.
Well that is your opinion and of course when it comes to Jeff it is a bit biased to say the least. What would you do if Jeff ever left this team? So you are saying that his skills alone are below NHL standards? My God man get a grip and see the lightCarter is a very good player on a very good team. Question: Why do you think every GM in the league always tries to get Jeff in a deal?Very Strange Huh By the way he can play either wing or center. But I would prefer to see him at center.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The results on paper are the empirical reality. I'm not dealing with "projections" I'm dealing with what those guys have done on the ice.

Moving Richards off center is a terrible idea. The team is literally miles better with him on the ice than other forwards on the team. He is the best center on the team... and the best forward on the team. Everyone else should be revolving around him, not the other way around.
I am with you on this point. Game in and Game out Mike is our most consistent forward. And center his is position.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Can someone explain to me how Richards, Briere, Carter and Hartnell can stay on the same team? With Leino and Nodl and Giroux making more money next year....
Carter to me is worth way more to this team... If he was not on it. He could get this team exactly what it needs.... In net, on D.... and at forward....
Carter should be getting 20-23 minutes a night. He's not. You pay him more than he will ever achieve with you guys...
Philly will never win the cup with this ensemble of forwards. Richards doesn't move.... Teams don't want Briere at his price...Carter or Hartnell has to go if they are to become a serious contender. Philly assume teams will want Briere... NOT HAPPENING. CARTER OR HARTNELL.... Realistically Carter...
You guys can be happy with making top 4 all ya want... maybe ever once every 5-7 years in making the finals... You still got no chance of winning. Changes need to be made.
Always liked the flyers, especially with the legion of doom... Hope they aren't happy with just competing...They cannot win with this team!
About time someone said it
Dude get a grip and stay off the sauce. What the hell are you rambling about?

Old
01-16-2011, 06:23 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Can someone explain to me how Richards, Briere, Carter and Hartnell can stay on the same team? With Leino and Nodl and Giroux making more money next year....
Carter to me is worth way more to this team... If he was not on it. He could get this team exactly what it needs.... In net, on D.... and at forward....
Carter should be getting 20-23 minutes a night. He's not. You pay him more than he will ever achieve with you guys...
Philly will never win the cup with this ensemble of forwards. Richards doesn't move.... Teams don't want Briere at his price...Carter or Hartnell has to go if they are to become a serious contender. Philly assume teams will want Briere... NOT HAPPENING. CARTER OR HARTNELL.... Realistically Carter...
You guys can be happy with making top 4 all ya want... maybe ever once every 5-7 years in making the finals... You still got no chance of winning. Changes need to be made.
Always liked the flyers, especially with the legion of doom... Hope they aren't happy with just competing...They cannot win with this team!
About time someone said it
Your overuse of ellipses makes it really hard to read your posts. It looks like you're rambling aimlessly.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Come up with some original material if you are gonna try and insult me... Everyone is dumber? That was like 10 years ago... If you are gonna borrow lines from movies, maybe stick with this century...(Billy Madison was an alright movie though)

You elected to try and make yourself appear intelligent... however, you failed to explain to readers how they are now less intelligent after reading my post. Break down my post... on a salary perspective.... which was its purpose.... and explain to me how you can have Carter and Hartnell going forward....
and btw me and you.... best grade in english you ever had... was a c+... just read your own material. You are that guy.... Keep writing. It becomes easier the more you do it.
Whatever you say.... or write... I am smiling... C+ dog. truth hurts... put a little more effort in next time you try and belittle someone.
tl;dr

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:54 PM
mirimon

I don't get where the idea that Giroux doesn't work as a winger comes from. He's been doing pretty good, sure his production has dropped a bit from the immediate start of the season, but I think it would have done that even if he had played as a center the whole time.

He should be on Richards wing though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:32 PM
MsWoof

Nice re-direct from Carter tonight vs. NYR from in front of the net!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote