HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik confident he will snap out of goal-scoring slump

Old
01-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
hell get his game back. hopefully Wolski sparks him.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 06:54 PM
DrZoidberg

vCash: 500
He better get his **** together tonight.

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Guy's definitely had opportunities. Puck just isn't finding the back of the net.
I agree. He has had plenty of very good chances the guy is simply snakebitten and nothing else.

If this is happening again next then we might have some reason to worry

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:22 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its pretty hard for a player to score when they're completely indifferent.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Ke11y96

It drives me nuts waiting for him to snap out of this. Ya almost think ya scratch Gaborik when Callahan comes back, let him view it from the sky box one game and just let him take it in from a different approach. Because it is not that pleasant to watch this guy play this season. I don't think you can blame it on the centers either he's had countless opportunities and personally this type of star caliber player should be doing for us what Nash and Iginla, ect..are doing for their clubs.

I see Gaboriks effort and it just seems to be used all wrong. This guy hasn't used his speed right, getting his shot off, I mean when did he last draw a penalty!? This guy could easily draw two a game with that speed and I just don't see the same player from last year...the effort, intellect, & desire to shoot...It's getting frustrating to watch....

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:26 PM
beastly115

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Ke11y96

Just looked over his last year compared to this year currently he is 7 games without a goal, the longest drought he's had in his ranger career. Last season he went 11 games with only 1 goal went five games then scored, then went another five. So idk what he's missing from this year that he had last year besides confidence but its really starting to hurt this club...

Old
01-15-2011, 09:47 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

His shot is very weak..not the same...Shoulder.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:11 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I think at this point he just needs to sit. Let him sit now, through the All Star Break and see how his mindset is coming back.

He is clearly still hesistant/hurt and it obviously isn't improving so he either needs some rest or go see a sports psychologist

For this team to do anything he needs to do more than score 75% of his goals against EDM and NYI. Those teams won't be in the playoffs to score against.

01-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

I don't know why people still are insisting he is hurt, when he said he wasn't. A player can have a cold streak without something being wrong with him physically.

He will find his game.

01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
NikC

i'd rather believe the guy is hurt, because from the looks of his play this season, he's totally checked out. he's not playing with any purpsose or desire. I don't see any urgency or intesity to the guy's game. It's as if he never came back from injury.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post
I don't know why people still are insisting he is hurt, when he said he wasn't. A player can have a cold streak without something being wrong with him physically.

He will find his game.
You right, he may very well not be hurt, but he also could still be very tentative about that shoulder which in a different sense shows he's still hurt.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 10:55 PM
NikC

i love Gaborik and still feel he's an elite player when healthy, but the guy is not built for the rigors of the NHL. he's going to be injury liability and a heartbreak for nyr fans
for the length of his contract.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Ke11y96

Just one of those midnight crazy thoughts regarding Gaborik but last year he was the horse that Torts road all the damn time. Unlike this year he's riding that 3rd line of feds, boyle, prust, and I'm starting to wonder besides the injury myth does anyone think it is a matter of getting Gaborik into a rhythm on a more consistent basis? I'd like to see him get the full two for each power play, and really no matter what type of matchup Torts plans really keep gaborik out there throughout the game...It just seems that he's more worried about Boyle's line then getting our goal scoring star back on his game..

Anyone who plays(ed) the game knows its tough to turn it on for 45 seconds sit for awhile and go again especially for a guy like Gaborik..Idk but something needs to change either sit him one game then play him and see how it goes, or next game play him something like 23 mins and see if that doesn't spark him..

Old
01-15-2011, 11:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If he wants to break out of his slump, tomorrow will be a hell of a timely game to do so.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
Just one of those midnight crazy thoughts regarding Gaborik but last year he was the horse that Torts road all the damn time. Unlike this year he's riding that 3rd line of feds, boyle, prust, and I'm starting to wonder besides the injury myth does anyone think it is a matter of getting Gaborik into a rhythm on a more consistent basis? I'd like to see him get the full two for each power play, and really no matter what type of matchup Torts plans really keep gaborik out there throughout the game...It just seems that he's more worried about Boyle's line then getting our goal scoring star back on his game..

Anyone who plays(ed) the game knows its tough to turn it on for 45 seconds sit for awhile and go again especially for a guy like Gaborik..Idk but something needs to change either sit him one game then play him and see how it goes, or next game play him something like 23 mins and see if that doesn't spark him..
This exactly.

When I play for my Varsity team, I don't get much playing time, so you don't feel very engaged. If you have one bad shift, it kind of snowballs throughout the game.

However, when I play JV, I get much more playing time; so if I have a bad shift, there's more time to correct it and play better.

I don't know what's up, but he needs to put the biscuit in the basket soon. I'm really hoping after the All-Star break he'll be more energized.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68MGQR10 View Post
This exactly.

When I play for my Varsity team, I don't get much playing time, so you don't feel very engaged. If you have one bad shift, it kind of snowballs throughout the game.

However, when I play JV, I get much more playing time; so if I have a bad shift, there's more time to correct it and play better.

I don't know what's up, but he needs to put the biscuit in the basket soon. I'm really hoping after the All-Star break he'll be more energized.
To me that could be that dark cloud over his head. When Torts first took over he said I'm not gonna coach I just want the guys to go and play, and I think he has to let Gaborik do that. Just let this guy eat up 22 minutes a game or more if he can handle it and let him just play and get his confidence and feel for the game back, because frankly we'll need it! and the more time he has to think about a missed shot, breakaway, or anything the worse it'll be.. I just looked at most of his time on ice stats from last year and his average was two minutes more than what he gets now. Right now its 19 and change last year it was 21 and change. Now those are average times, but you look at the majority of games last year and he was a 22,23, and 24 minute a game person. For a guy like Gaborik that is a lot of time to make something happen. Especially when Gaborik can get down the ice in about 4 seconds. Ya hate to knock the kids because they're playing great but Torts not wanting to play a rookie 20 plus minutes a night and Gaborik not having a consistent line is definitely hurting his ice time this season verse he and Prospal riding the 1st line minutes all last year.

Old
01-16-2011, 12:55 AM
mattyd99

Anyone who has played competitive sports and been the main player on their team understands what Gaborik is going through. Sometimes you hit stretches where nothing goes right. That's what he is going through right now and we just need to wait it out. He's a great goal scorer and getting on him will do no good.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:23 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Something the people that propose trading Gaborik fail to realize is that this team is playing a grind it out, in your face style because it lacks talent. Its compensating for its lack of talent by playing this type of system. Tortorella realized this last year when he tried the run and gun style. He had to adjust and he even points it out in interviews and has since hes been the coach. We're a team void of top end, elite talent like Gaborik and Lundqvist, and we have to stick by these two regardless of whether one is in a slump.

Theyre proposing trading the only actual talent we have, when the fact of the matter is, you need top end talent eventually to win big. Youre going to need Gaborik, period.

Aside that, he is still second on the team in points and involved in other areas of the game.

So yes, trade the only talent you have for more 3rd and 4th liners! Solid plan!

I can only imagine when Lundqvist has a bad year what will happen to these boards.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Ranger Angst

Was at the game yesterday & followed Gab every shift. If he's healthy ,I think he's contemplating a 2nd career as a figure skater. He skates in circles & is totally uninvolved.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

No reason not to be confident..

He'll get his game back...hopefully soon though...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its not the lack of scoring that's the issue.

Its the complete lack of interest.

Its the attitude. He completely lacks any heart, desire, urgency, motivation...

Typical highly skilled enigma.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:24 AM
levski87

You guys are ridiculous. Gaborik will snap out of this. 2 goals versus Philly

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:26 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I think your perception is completely incorrect...

Think he's been working hard and definitely cares a great deal, just that it hasn't been happening. Every little bounce seems to be going against him right now and that won't continue.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Youre taking the identity the rest of this team has developed and trying so hard to apply it to Gaborik. Unfortunately, he has NEVER BEEN the type of player that you want to see, so whats the point in complaining about it? Whether hes hurt or just in a slump, hes not going to be the guy that goes out there and lays it all out on the line every single shift.

And enigma is an offbase description. Like I said, hes played like this his entire career, but the difference is hes been able to strike at points during the game - and has proven over his career that when hes on the ice, hes a goal scoring threat. Period. Enigma describes a guy thats never lived up to his potential.

It just bewilders me that when goal scorers go through slumps, theres almost always catcalls for him to be something hes not/has never been. You say you want to see more "heart" "desire" whatever....well what the hell does that mean? Sounds to me like you want to see him throw a big check and get into the dirty areas of the ice.

Well, hes never ever ever done that before, even when he was scoring in bunches last season. The guy is banged up and going through a rough patch right now...he deserves criticism, but he doesnt deserve people completely misreading the situation and pleading for him to be something hes not.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote