HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers to open 11-12 season in Europe?

Old
01-16-2011, 05:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
EJ Hradek reported this on Friday night on twitter

Quote:
Caps, Rangers, Ducks & Oilers fans might want 2 check fall fares 2 Europe. hear teams in talks 2 b among 6 to skate in 11-12 Premier Games
http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/sta...01981189771266

Quote:
There could b single reg season games in 6 different european/scandinavian cities. The Caps could open in Russia. That would be smart!
http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/sta...03273245118464

Quote:
to be clear on premiere games, six teams would go over. each would play 2 games. perhaps 6 different sites, instead of 3 like last October
http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/sta...04673387679744

Quote:
Exactly! RT @allcar67: Rangers make a lot of sense - MSG not supposed to be ready until at least mid-October anyway.
http://twitter.com/EJHradek_ESPN/sta...04849489723392

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:40 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

If the Garden won't be available until mid-October,the Rangers won't play the 3 pre-season games at MSG and will be forced to start the season on the road. So why not take an expenses paid trip to Europe? NHL picks up the tab. Surely the league makes money off this. It's part of the NHL revenue which is used to compute the cap. The Garden won't force you to buy any pre-season games as part of the season subscription. You will miss one Rangers home game. Oh boy. Talk about the hardship.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:57 AM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
If not the season opener,pleace do some exibitiongame against AIK,Modo and a Norway al-star team.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If the Garden won't be available until mid-October,the Rangers won't play the 3 pre-season games at MSG and will be forced to start the season on the road. So why not take an expenses paid trip to Europe? NHL picks up the tab. Surely the league makes money off this. It's part of the NHL revenue which is used to compute the cap. The Garden won't force you to buy any pre-season games as part of the season subscription. You will miss one Rangers home game. Oh boy. Talk about the hardship.
There have been some talk about the "hardship" of starting the season oversea's.

Now, I personally really do not care much if they start in Sweden or not. I'll watch the games anyway, tv or live, it do not matter much.

But, I really do not buy the hardship part much. I think its just a excuse. It just aint that hard to go from Europe to NA. Its only 6 hrs td. These guys are used to travel.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
RangerBhoyBlue

Would love to see the blueshirts play in London but there isn't the same market for the sport here like there is in other parts of Eastern Europe.

RangerBhoyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I lost? I thought Somalia was in Asia, neighboring China?

Oh, that's too bad.
Sara Pallin, is that you?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Zucca

vCash: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Sara Pallin, is that you?

I can actually see Somalia from my doorstep!

Zucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
If not the season opener,pleace do some exibitiongame against AIK,Modo and a Norway al-star team.
Nah..that would be a bloodbath. One of the top teams in Sweden would be fine.

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:29 AM
GbgRanger

If rangers comes to Gothenburg it would truly be epic. Zucca would be playing close to home and Lundqvist would be playing in his old home arena. The crowd would go crazy cheering for Lundqvist who was playing like a beast for Frolunda before he left. The fact that I live only 5 minutes from the arena only makes it better. I´m afraid it is just a dream though. If any NHL teams are to play in sweden, they would most likely play in Stockholm...

GbgRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I lost? I thought Somalia was in Asia, neighboring China?

Oh, that's too bad.
Perhaps you were thinking of Mongolia.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:49 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
There have been some talk about the "hardship" of starting the season oversea's.

Now, I personally really do not care much if they start in Sweden or not. I'll watch the games anyway, tv or live, it do not matter much.

But, I really do not buy the hardship part much. I think its just a excuse. It just aint that hard to go from Europe to NA. Its only 6 hrs td. These guys are used to travel.
The Garden is not going to be available. The Rangers will go to Europe in late September. Play a few pre-season games there. Pick up a nice check for playing those games. They'll open up the season playing two games in Europe. It's 1 Rangers home game. Usually those teams start a week before the NHL season starts. When the Rangers return to NA,they'll probably still open up on the road again. The NHL makes money from playing the games in Europe. The Rangers didn't their first home game this season until October 15 but played 3 pre-season games. The Rangers will need to play their pre-season games somewhere.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:51 AM
AJRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBhoyBlue View Post
Would love to see the blueshirts play in London but there isn't the same market for the sport here like there is in other parts of Eastern Europe.
But there is 'a' market. The two Ducks/Kings games in London both sold-out with little to no promotion. I'd love to have a game here again but I hold out absolutely no hope of it happening.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:

I agree with you Ola, and not only are these guys use to travel, but often trips like these can unify a team early in the season, being on the road so long with eachother. The team as is looks very united today, but we dont know how the roster looks come september and if there are a few new faces this could be good.

Going beyond that, the league has too many european players and fans to not do things like this. And unfortunately no one in europe wants to see the Islanders or Columbus Blue Jackets. I say give them the teams they want, they deserve it, and if a trip to europe keeps your team from making the playoffs when all is said and done, then your team shouldn't be there anyway.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:18 AM
EmpireStateofMind

I think it would be awesome to start in Sweden and it would make the most sense anyway. The Garden won't be ready by that time and Hank can play in front of a home crowd basically

EmpireStateofMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireStateofMind View Post
I think it would be awesome to start in Sweden and it would make the most sense anyway. The Garden won't be ready by that time and Hank can play in front of a home crowd basically
A match in Sweden can almost be counted as a home game. I bet LGR would lift the roof of Globen. Or "worse" when Henrik make spectacular saves and if Zucca roofs the puck.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interesting Cat View Post
A match in Sweden can almost be counted as a home game. I bet LGR would lift the roof of Globen. Or "worse" when Henrik make spectacular saves and if Zucca roofs the puck.
Lundqvist - "home goaltender" and one of the best in the world.

Zuccarello - Kind of almost home, and the SEL Points Winner just 1 1/2 years ago.

vs. Ducks(who still can be associated with the Disney movies in certain places).

Rangers vs. Ducks!

Bring your helmet, swords and shields for an epic WAR

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:22 PM
gorgos

One game in Norway, and one in Sweden would be epic!

gorgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKillalot View Post
Lundqvist - "home goaltender" and one of the best in the world.

Zuccarello - Kind of almost home, and the SEL Points Winner just 1 1/2 years ago.

vs. Ducks(who still can be associated with the Disney movies in certain places).

Rangers vs. Ducks!

Bring your helmet, swords and shields for an epic WAR
, a viking quest to Sweden, would have been something

Old
01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Garden is not going to be available. The Rangers will go to Europe in late September. Play a few pre-season games there. Pick up a nice check for playing those games. They'll open up the season playing two games in Europe. It's 1 Rangers home game. Usually those teams start a week before the NHL season starts. When the Rangers return to NA,they'll probably still open up on the road again. The NHL makes money from playing the games in Europe. The Rangers didn't their first home game this season until October 15 but played 3 pre-season games. The Rangers will need to play their pre-season games somewhere.
I'm sure Dolan will jack up the prices to make up for the 3 pre-season games.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:27 AM
KRM

http://hockey.expressen.se/nhl/1.229...-till-goteborg

Henke wants to play in Gothenburg.

Last edited by KRM: 01-18-2011 at 09:37 AM.
KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
forget sweden....in London at the O2 vs the Kings is a cinch.

AEG owns the Kings and the O2, tickets will be 3 x as expensive than anywhere else in Europe and a guaranteed sell out.

in case you had any doubts...there are more scandihooligans in greater London than in Gothenborg.
more Canadians and New yorkers than anywhere else in Europe.
and I am not even going to mention the (dozens maybe hundred of) thousands of Poles and other East Europeans in southern England.

NHL expansion franchise will come to London when the League will take the step, whether you guys like it or not.
Best Arena in Europe - 2nd busiest/most profitable Arena in the world after MSG.
8 million people - so what they are not hockey fans, I bet you there are more hockey fans in London than in Nashville.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 01-18-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
NYR Viper

I could definitely see the Rangers playing in London. They really don't have very many Europeans so an English speaking country may be the best fit for them.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
AJRanger

Poles and Eastern Euros? There's more of them here than there are Englishmen. I'd love to even have a pre-season game here, anything would be great.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
King of cool
The winning hat

I can't find it right now, I think it was on Jesse Spector's blog last week. Jesse said that Sweden might be a destination for the Rangers, at least for one game.

Last edited by King of cool: 01-18-2011 at 12:19 PM.
King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
in case you had any doubts...there are more scandihooligans in greater London than in Gothenborg.
Haha, lol, no.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote