HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Coach

Old
01-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Herschel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I'm a football guy first and foremost, and maybe later I'll get more into this. I'll say this emphatically though, there is no way at all that is true. Head Coach in football matters more than any other sport. Good coaches use their personnel in ways that allow them to succeed, Singletary did the exact opposite. Singletary had a decent QB, he didn't know what to do with him. Alex developing under a decent coaching regime would've yielded a more polished QB.
This is very true, the start - stop - reset nature of football allows for WAY more coaching influence than it does in hockey. With hockey the flow and constant flow of the game make it very hard for the coach to force his will on the game.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:09 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise13 View Post
I'm a football guy first and foremost, and maybe later I'll get more into this. I'll say this emphatically though, there is no way at all that is true. Head Coach in football matters more than any other sport. Good coaches use their personnel in ways that allow them to succeed, Singletary did the exact opposite. Singletary had a decent QB, he didn't know what to do with him. Alex developing under a decent coaching regime would've yielded a more polished QB.
I said this in the other thread, but.....I don't think the difference between a mediocre coach and a good coach is as great as the difference between a bad coach (or a good one) and an average coach.

Not to turn this into a football thread, but I don't think the difference between a Pete Carroll and a Norv Turner as head coach is really all that great. You get good and bad with both, there are a few things they can tweak here and there to do better, and then there are a few things they'll do worse. It evens out mostly.

But with a guy like Mike Singletary, that's a huge drop-off. It's one thing to have a coach who calls the right or wrong play on a crucial 4th-and-3. It's another thing when you have a head coach who has less clock management and playcalling skills than a 4th grader who plays Madden, and can't figure out how to even get plays into his QB without a Delay of Game penalty or burning through all of his timeouts......much less understands whether or not the play was actually called or executed properly.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:32 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Kevin Constantine. He's said a couple times that he wants to coach the Sharks again.
I like it. I also like Keenan. Hmmm what do those two have in common? They're effin animals! I like the old school Military style of coaching for this group. This San Jose, nonchalant attitude must be destroyed.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USF Shark View Post
Kevin Constantine. He's said a couple times that he wants to coach the Sharks again.
Oh Heeeeeelllllll Yeeeeaaahhhh

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Franchise13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
I said this in the other thread, but.....I don't think the difference between a mediocre coach and a good coach is as great as the difference between a bad coach (or a good one) and an average coach.

Not to turn this into a football thread, but I don't think the difference between a Pete Carroll and a Norv Turner as head coach is really all that great. You get good and bad with both, there are a few things they can tweak here and there to do better, and then there are a few things they'll do worse. It evens out mostly.

But with a guy like Mike Singletary, that's a huge drop-off. It's one thing to have a coach who calls the right or wrong play on a crucial 4th-and-3. It's another thing when you have a head coach who has less clock management and playcalling skills than a 4th grader who plays Madden, and can't figure out how to even get plays into his QB without a Delay of Game penalty or burning through all of his timeouts......much less understands whether or not the play was actually called or executed properly.
Short version: Ultimately what's going to create separation between good to great and great to elite coaching wise is the coach's ability to adjust. Constantly adjusting both to how an individual game is going, and adjusting to how his personnel changes throughout the season/years. I think that applies to all sports really. Being able to scheme around your pieces (and acquire pieces necessary), as opposed to jamming the pieces to fit your scheme is huge.

example: Ron Rivera, recently hired coach of the Carolina Panthers. He's run every defensive scheme imaginable as requested or out of necessity, and done so successfully. He hated Cover 2, but used it when he was under Lovie Smith during the Super Bowl run, because it fit the overall scheme of things.

I'm not as familiar with Hockey coaches, I wouldn't be able to tell you who would fit what for the Sharks, but I think you get the picture.

McClellan may have been the right fit for this team before. If he's not adjusting anything nor is the team responding to him, then it may be time for a change.

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2011, 10:29 PM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Who do you want to be our new coach? It should be a given TMac is gone especially after losing 6 straight including at home to both toronto and edmonton...

When Pittsburgh switched coaches in 09 it worked great and they even went on to win the cup.

I pick Mike Keenan. Maybe he can light a fire under everyones ass.
I think someone didn't finish math class. Field a worse team minus Nabby, Blake, Malhotra and we deserve to be exactly where we are. We kind of solved the Nabby with Niitty and Niemi, missed the Blake replacement Wallin and never made up for Malhora although Couture is good for his first full season. I am actually surprised everyone hasn't figured us out with the way DW envisions the team.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:04 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
I find it very odd that people can pretend to know what McLellan's "strategies" are, even though we've learned from hbo's 24/7 that no one knows jack about what goes on inside the room.
Well its quite apparent on the ice that forechecking and driving to the net is NOT one of McLellen's stratagies, nor is not letting the other vteam just walk out of their zone with the puck, dump it in the harks zone and then bang our defense into submission.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:33 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

People keep saying Keenan. And people keep forgetting what the history of Mike Keenan looks like aside from that one year he was with the Rangers (and let's be honest, that was Mark Messier's team, not Keenan's.)

The guy does not have a good track record. All anyone remembers is that he's a hardass. They don't remember that he's not made it out of the 2nd round since that Rangers win, and that basically every team he's been on has been a total mess afterward for several seasons.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 32 GP, 12-15-5 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

All I remember Keenan for was trading Luongo from Florida for crap ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Squeeven

I'm sorry but anyone that blames McLellan for the team's recent poor play obviously hasn't been watching the games lately or McLellans interviews. I don't like it whenever a team is on a losing streak and the fans always blame the coach first. Clearly the Sharks need to trade for a defenseman. Also Pavelski has been injured, Couture was out for the last game and Clowe is now injured. I think McLellan is a great coach. In just his second season as a head coach (not just as head coach of the Sharks but first time ever being a head coach) he took them to the conference finals; that is not a coach that needs to be fired. Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Setoguchi, Clowe and Couture were all healthy (except Couture and Clowe for the past two games) and the Sharks had just 9 goals in 6 games, that's horrible offense. The offense was not producing and Wilson still somehow does not realize we are in DESPERATE need of a defenseman.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:24 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
All I remember Keenan for was trading Luongo from Florida for crap ...
He also torched the Canucks by bringing in Messier and I believe was part of the start of the goalie carousel that was kicked off with the Bure trade. Oh, and the Messier addition also meant that he and Mess completely and undeservedly screwed over Trevor Linden before trading him. If not for Mike Milbury being a moron, he would have nothing to show for his time there (Milbury managed to be dumb enough to give up Bryan McCabe, Todd Bertuzzi, and I believe picks for Linden)

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:51 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I'm sorry but anyone that blames McLellan for the team's recent poor play obviously hasn't been watching the games lately or McLellans interviews. I don't like it whenever a team is on a losing streak and the fans always blame the coach first. Clearly the Sharks need to trade for a defenseman. Also Pavelski has been injured, Couture was out for the last game and Clowe is now injured. I think McLellan is a great coach. In just his second season as a head coach (not just as head coach of the Sharks but first time ever being a head coach) he took them to the conference finals; that is not a coach that needs to be fired. Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Setoguchi, Clowe and Couture were all healthy (except Couture and Clowe for the past two games) and the Sharks had just 9 goals in 6 games, that's horrible offense. The offense was not producing and Wilson still somehow does not realize we are in DESPERATE need of a defenseman.
Top post. Couldn't agree more.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:22 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
He also torched the Canucks by bringing in Messier and I believe was part of the start of the goalie carousel that was kicked off with the Bure trade. Oh, and the Messier addition also meant that he and Mess completely and undeservedly screwed over Trevor Linden before trading him. If not for Mike Milbury being a moron, he would have nothing to show for his time there (Milbury managed to be dumb enough to give up Bryan McCabe, Todd Bertuzzi, and I believe picks for Linden)
Keenan got there after messier. If I remember correctly Tom Renney was actually the coach and Messier got him fired.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Top post. Couldn't agree more.
Except that a lot of us have been saying that prior to the losing streak. This entire season has been win one, lose one, win one, lose one... We've been having 3rd period melt downs for some time now. Having a tough time starting games and rarely getting the 1st goal, etc. Penalty Kill is terrible, and some very interesting decisions on how to rotate the goalies.

It's not just the losing streak. This team is bottom of the barrel in a lot of the categories most effected by coaching. If McLellan can turn it around, good for him, I'll be impressed as hell. However, so far, he's done a piss-poor job this season of getting his team prepared to play. I'm pretty sure he would say the same, if he's half the coach you think he is.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote