HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Deadline Deals; PIT-NYI, PIT-CAR

Old
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Isles_Guy*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
You do realise that Pens have the best centre depth in the NHL? Crosby - Malkin - Staal and it's better for his development to get big minutes in the AHL than 4th line minutes at the NHL level (which he could easily handle).
I certainly do realize that, but I also realize that both Tangradi and Letestu have passed him by in the eyes of Shero and most scouts,

why pray tell would we trade our 30 goal scorer for a guy who has been passed over by two other prospects you also have? wouldnt we be better off asking for the ones your own organization thinks are better?

put yourself in our shoes, wouldnt you think you were being offered your sloppy seconds?

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
I certainly do realize that, but I also realize that both Tangradi and Letestu have passed him by in the eyes of Shero and most scouts,

why pray tell would we trade our 30 goal scorer for a guy who has been passed over by two other prospects you also have? wouldnt we be better off asking for the ones your own organization thinks are better?

put yourself in our shoes, wouldnt you think you were being offered your sloppy seconds?
Jeffrey not being on the NHL roster has very little to do with Jeffrey and a lot to do with numbers. The Pens want to keep guys like Letestu and Lovejoy, but those guys would have to go through the waiver process if they were sent down, and may be claimed (Letestu definitely would be). Jeffrey doesn't have to go through that, so it's a personnel thing.

As far as Tangradi goes, Jeffrey was getting the top 6 mins in WBS, and has been a call up over Tangradi since Tangradi got sent back down. Tangradi will have a higher prospect grade because of his potential and where he was drafted. Jeffrey for being where he was picked in the draft has turned into a very, very solid hockey player. He's without a doubt a 3rd line NHL center, and very well could be a top 6 winger if he continues to progress.

I'll be surprised if Jeffrey isn't on the Pens roster opening night 2011-12

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
no all I said was neilsen signed later, and Im not saying jeffery hasnt improved, Im just saying he's been passed by, by other prospects

Ive repeatedly said he needs to do something to be noticed again

Im just saying I wouldnt trade a 30 goal scorer for someones failed or passed over prospect
You said Nielsen was with the Islanders 6 months after he signed his first contract. To me that clearly says that you implied he made the team as full-time NHL'er back then and that was not the case. You clearly tried to downplay Jeffey (by saying he's still trying to crack the Pens lineup) and imply Nielsen achieved something he didn't actually do (made the team as a full-timer 6 months after signing contract). Otherwise you could have also said Jeffrey made the Stanley Cup winning team 6-8 months after he signed his 1st NHL contract as a 20-year old rookie.

Do something like become top-10 player in AHL. Check.

Did you knew that Jeffrey was on pace to break WBS' record for most goals and most points in one season before his first callup this year? I'd say that's doing something to be noticed.

Jeffrey and Locke had as many points (30) when Jeffrey was called up for the first time this year. I can't remember if they tied for the lead in scoring for AHL but they were surely in top-5.

Jeffrey is far from being failed prospect. To even imply he's somewhat failed shows complete lack of knowledge about the guy.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:48 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Jeffrey got limited time with Crosby? the whole reason he played those 14 games was because Crosby was injured. According to Dobber hockey stats, Jeffrey played less than 5 % of his time with Malkin and his biggest combo with Malkin was 1.81 % on the PK.

An unsigned 25-30 goal scorer. Jeffrey may not push anyone out of the top 6 but he does allow Nielsen to play in the top 6 full time (Jeffrey's AHL numbers are actually better than Grabner as it happens). Jeffrey has good size and while he's not especially physical, they're are plenty of NHL bottom 6ers who aren't especially physical. Adding a bit of offensive skill to the bottom 6 is an advantage (lots of teams have 3 scoring lines) as long as the player plays a smart two way game to (which Jeffrey does). I was comparing Jeffrey's AHL scoring to the guys currently in Bridgeport (Rakhshani, Ullstrom, Figren, etc).
I would be very surprised to find that the isles are expecting Rakhsani and Ullstrom, to land in their top 6.Figren's struggled for the last couple of AHL seasons.The only surprise in his case, is that he's not gone back to Europe to play.

Grabner's in his rookie nhl season and on pace for about 18 goals.He brings badly needed speed to the team.

Pens fans think Jeffrey is an upgrade on potential 3rd liners Martin/Joensuu and potential top 6 forwards Nino and Petrov.I disagree.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
Technically it was Shero that let him walk, but he took over right as that off-season's roster decisions were being made so he had to defer a lot of things to the scouting staff. In hindsight giving up on him was a mistake for the Pens and for LA two seasons later. Shero has said as much.

My point was you're willing to write off a 22 year old centre as "garbage" because can't crack the deepest group of centres in the NHL. I was pointing out the irony involved because the Moulson took 4 more years and 2 more teams before he cracked an NHL roster. Clearly players can be good NHLers even if they're in the minors at 22; Moulson is just one of may guys that prove this.
I agree whole heartedly, guys can and do mature later, but my point with Jeffery still stands, two years ago he was much more highly thought of,

since then Letestu has made the most of his opportunity and past him by, and Tangradi was acquired from anaheim and passed him by, so Jeffery has to do something to bring attention to himself, or he'll fall through the cracks

Old
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Pens fans think Jeffrey is an upgrade on potential 3rd liners Martin/Joensuu and potential top 6 forwards Nino and Petrov.I disagree.
I'm sure no one here thinks Jeffrey is an upgrade over Nino. That'd be crazy.

As for Martin/Joensuu Jeffrey has atleast as high upside as they have. So let me ask you this: are they garbage like Isles-Guy is trying to say Jeffrey is?

Petrov and Jeffrey are completely different players so hard to compare them. Petrov might have more offensive potential if ever comes to NA but Jeffrey is more of a sure thing to be NHL'er.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:00 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
J
To :
Matt Moulson

To :
Pascal Dupuis + Dustin Jeffrey

Thoughts? Who needs to add, if anyone?
A few reasons why i think it wont happen..

- Moulson was signed based on his friendship with Tavares,Heavily doubt the team wants to upset its franchise player by trading his good buddy.

-When you look at the Islanders ( those of us who follow the team can tell you this),last thing we need are grinder/3rd line players. Especially at the cost of one our few true scorers.
Now before you guys go ******* on me harping Jeffery's potential....thats all it is...potential.
Ill take the guy who's scored in the NHL over the AHL scoring champ any day of the week.

-Snow sees that JT needs help scoringwise (he even talked about getting him help)...how would this help him?

Can a trade happen if Moulson doesnt want to resign...sure.

But Snow would be playing a dangerous game especially with how few scorers we actually have.

Last edited by DaMick: 01-16-2011 at 03:05 PM.
DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
I agree whole heartedly, guys can and do mature later, but my point with Jeffery still stands, two years ago he was much more highly thought of,
Jeffrey was thought of higher two years ago than today? Do you even know what you're talking about? Jeffrey has developed a lot in the past two years.

Why don't you just give up on the Jeffrey bash? It's not working and it just keeps making you look like you don't know what you're talking about.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:04 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
I'm sure no one here thinks Jeffrey is an upgrade over Nino. That'd be crazy.

As for Martin/Joensuu Jeffrey has atleast as high upside as they have. So let me ask you this: are they garbage like Isles-Guy is trying to say Jeffrey is?

Petrov and Jeffrey are completely different players so hard to compare them. Petrov might have more offensive potential if ever comes to NA but Jeffrey is more of a sure thing to be NHL'er.
6'3 Martin and 6'3 Joensuu have shown during brief callups to the nhl that they can provide a physical presence/hitting for the isles.

6'3 Petrov came to prospect camp for the first time last summer.He impressed the isles enough that they(and Petrov), wanted his agent to get him out of the last 2 yrs of his KHL contract and onto their nhl top 6.His old KHL team refused to release him,but did trade him later.I expect the isles will again see if his agent can't get him onto their roster for next season.

The isles like the potential these youngsters bring,so unless they feel Jeffrey is a clear upgrade on the prospects they expect to be taking those open roster spots,they have little reason to move Moulson for Jeffrey.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
You said Nielsen was with the Islanders 6 months after he signed his first contract. To me that clearly says that you implied he made the team as full-time NHL'er back then and that was not the case. You clearly tried to downplay Jeffey (by saying he's still trying to crack the Pens lineup) and imply Nielsen achieved something he didn't actually do (made the team as a full-timer 6 months after signing contract). Otherwise you could have also said Jeffrey made the Stanley Cup winning team 6-8 months after he signed his 1st NHL contract as a 20-year old rookie.

Do something like become top-10 player in AHL. Check.

Did you knew that Jeffrey was on pace to break WBS' record for most goals and most points in one season before his first callup this year? I'd say that's doing something to be noticed.

Jeffrey and Locke had as many points (30) when Jeffrey was called up for the first time this year. I can't remember if they tied for the lead in scoring for AHL but they were surely in top-5.

Jeffrey is far from being failed prospect. To even imply he's somewhat failed shows complete lack of knowledge about the guy.
fine then, if Jeffery is so good keep him and give us Tangradi instead, it shouldnt matter much since you rate Jeffery so high

Old
01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Sideline

Quote:

since then Letestu has made the most of his opportunity and past him by, and Tangradi was acquired from anaheim and passed him by, so Jeffery has to do something to bring attention to himself, or he'll fall through the cracks
I think Jeffrey's play this year is more than enough to bring attention to himself; he's been the best player on the best team in the AHL. Short of taking a regular shift in the NHL that's the most anyone can do. I'll be very surprised if he's not a full time NHL player next year. This is his last year of waiver exemption and the Pens have like 8 expiring contracts up front.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
fine then, if Jeffery is so good keep him and give us Tangradi instead, it shouldnt matter much since you rate Jeffery so high
What do you know about how high I rate Jeffrey? I was merely pointing out you that he's not garbage like you make him out to be. Your complete lack of knowledge about Jeffrey is well exposed in this thread.

You're not getting Tangradi for Moulson.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Jeffrey was thought of higher two years ago than today? Do you even know what you're talking about? Jeffrey has developed a lot in the past two years.

Why don't you just give up on the Jeffrey bash? It's not working and it just keeps making you look like you don't know what you're talking about.
weve already proven you dont know what youre talking about since you said jeffery was leading the Ahl in scoring when he wasnt, corey locke was ahead of him all season (i checked) so were you lying or just clueless?

Old
01-16-2011, 03:14 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick View Post
A few reasons why i think it wont happen..

- Moulson was signed based on his friendship with Tavares,Heavily doubt the team wants to upset its franchise player by trading his good buddy.

-When you look at the Islanders ( those of us who follow the team can tell you this),last thing we need are grinder/3rd line players. Especially at the cost of one our few true scorers.
Now before you guys go ******* on me harping Jeffery's potential....thats all it is...potential.
Ill take the guy who's scored in the NHL over the AHL scoring champ any day of the week.

-Snow sees that JT needs help scoringwise (he even talked about getting him help)...how would this help him?

Can a trade happen if Moulson doesnt want to resign...sure.

But Snow would be playing a dangerous game especially with how few scorers we actually have.
Pittsburgh said the same thing when Colby Armstrong was around. Him and Sid were best buds/roomies. Tavares is going to make a lot of friends, and I'm sure even now, he realizes this is a business.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
weve already proven you dont know what youre talking about since you said jeffery was leading the Ahl in scoring when he wasnt, corey locke was ahead of him all season (i checked) so were you lying or just clueless?
It's you who's lying or clueless. Check their stats again.

Hint: Jeffrey was recalled December 12th and had 30 points then. Locke had also 30 points after his game on December 12th.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
Again, you are wrong. Locke hasn't been ahead of him all season.

Quote:
Since he was the leading scorer in the AHL at the time of his promotion and he performed reasonably well in his three-game stay in the NHL, it would be easy to assume Dustin Jeffrey's name is written in pen atop the list of potential call-ups in Wilkes-Barre.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_714427.html

He was called up when he was leading the AHL in points. He's still one of the top guys in the AHL in points despite being called up several times since then by the Pens.

Continue on with your poor knowledge of Jeffrey.

It's one thing if you don't like someone's proposal for your player, but you don't have to go out of your way to say that prospect is terrible when you CLEARLY don't know much about the prospect.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
What do you know about how high I rate Jeffrey? I was merely pointing out you that he's not garbage like you make him out to be. Your complete lack of knowledge about Jeffrey is well exposed in this thread.

You're not getting Tangradi for Moulson.
thank you, you just proved my point. now all islander fans know that Tangradi is the prospect we want......

I already knew that of course but now you just showed how much less of a prospect Jeffery really is

case closed

Old
01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Pittsburgh said the same thing when Colby Armstrong was around. Him and Sid were best buds/roomies. Tavares is going to make a lot of friends, and I'm sure even now, he realizes this is a business.
Solid point...though im not sure Sid recruited Armstrong. (How Tavares got Moulson on the Isles)

Plus Tavares and Sid are 2 vastly different creatures...
(Sid being a generational talent,Tavares is still growing into the role of the franchise)

Id think the Islanders would want to baby him a bit more based on what little help Tavares has around on the Islanders.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
thank you, you just proved my point. now all islander fans know that Tangradi is the prospect we want......

I already knew that of course but now you just showed how much less of a prospect Jeffery really is

case closed
You proved a lot about yourself in this thread, that's for sure.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Vujtek

Quote:

case closed
Tell me exactly how I proved your point (which seems to be that Jeffrey is somehow garbage)?

You're beyond clueless.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
pens83*

You all keep forgetting that moulson is an ufa this year. Why has he not been signed to an extension yet? No one wants to play for the isles regardless if their good friend is on the team. Unless moulson is signed to an extension before the deadline he will be dealt.

pens83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Sideline

Quote:

case closed
Of course you want Tangradi. I want Jakub Voracek. That doesn't mean I could get him for a rental.

The last rental player close to Moulson value wise was Alexei Ponikarovsky. Poni was worth Luca Caputi and a Martin Skoula (flipped straight away for a 5th). Moulson has a shorter track record, but has been more productive. If Moulson is traded you'll get something like that, maybe with a sweeter pick. The rumoured asking price for Ray Whitney was a 1st, but he's significantly more proven. Still, you might get a late 1st if the rental market is tight. If you get a top prospect for him I'll eat my hat.

Last edited by Sideline: 01-16-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Isles_Guy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
Again, you are wrong. Locke hasn't been ahead of him all season.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_714427.html

He was called up when he was leading the AHL in points. He's still one of the top guys in the AHL in points despite being called up several times since then by the Pens.

Continue on with your poor knowledge of Jeffrey.

It's one thing if you don't like someone's proposal for your player, but you don't have to go out of your way to say that prospect is terrible when you CLEARLY don't know much about the prospect.
wrong again

as of january second these were the scoring leaders

1 Corey Locke Binghamton Senators 34 11 35 46 24
2 David Desharnais Hamilton Bulldogs 35 10 35 45 24
3 Jason Krog Chicago Wolves 39 8 30 38 10
4 Jerome Samson Charlotte Checkers 35 18 18 36 22
4 Alexandre Giroux Oklahoma City Barons 37 13 23 36 36
6 Jonathan Cheechoo Worcester Sharks 33 13 22 35 8
6 Kris Newbury Connecticut Whale 38 5 30 35 87
8 Andrew Gordon Hershey Bears 29 16 18 34 12
8 Darren Haydar Chicago Wolves 36 13 21 34 38
10 Liam Reddox Oklahoma City Barons 37 18 15 33 16
10 Dustin Jeffrey Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 31 14 19 33 6

apparently the pittsburgh paper doesnt fact check

Old
01-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Jules Winnfield
Top 6 wing please...

Quote:
wrong again

as of january second these were the scoring leaders

1 Corey Locke Binghamton Senators 34 11 35 46 24
2 David Desharnais Hamilton Bulldogs 35 10 35 45 24
3 Jason Krog Chicago Wolves 39 8 30 38 10
4 Jerome Samson Charlotte Checkers 35 18 18 36 22
4 Alexandre Giroux Oklahoma City Barons 37 13 23 36 36
6 Jonathan Cheechoo Worcester Sharks 33 13 22 35 8
6 Kris Newbury Connecticut Whale 38 5 30 35 87
8 Andrew Gordon Hershey Bears 29 16 18 34 12
8 Darren Haydar Chicago Wolves 36 13 21 34 38
10 Liam Reddox Oklahoma City Barons 37 18 15 33 16
10 Dustin Jeffrey Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins 31 14 19 33 6

apparently the pittsburgh paper doesnt fact check
And you must either be blind or not read either. Considering the article was written on December 19th and you quoted the points race from January 2nd says something about you.

Old
01-16-2011, 03:59 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pens83 View Post
You all keep forgetting that moulson is an ufa this year.
No we havent...hence the discussion.

Quote:
Why has he not been signed to an extension yet?
They have been negotiating one...main question is whether they get it done in time.

Quote:
No one wants to play for the isles regardless if their good friend is on the team.
How would you know?
No point going there...trolling isnt a reason to post.

Quote:
Unless moulson is signed to an extension before the deadline he will be dealt.
Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Now back to the thread...

Quote:
The last rental player close to Moulson value wise was Alexei Ponikarovsky
Interesting comparison between the 2 ...though a few tidbits

-Poni never went above 23 goals in a season...
Moulson hit 30 last year...and is on a 26+ pace this year.

Poni,though a decent player wont be mistaken with a natural goal scorer
Moulson is a bit better in that department than Poni,

Who does Moulson remind me of?
Derek King from back in the day.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2723

Streaky sneaky scoring winger from the left side.