HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCabe with broken jaw, Ellerby recalled

Old
01-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
McCabe with broken jaw, Ellerby recalled

http://www.facebook.com/laurameijer?...loridaPanthers

Quote:
Bad news from last night's win. Bryan McCabe suffered a broken jaw after getting hit with a puck on a shot in the first period. Will be out for undisclosed amount of time. Team has called up Keaton Ellerby to take his place.

01-16-2011, 11:01 AM
UKPanther
@GJenSports

That sucks, but I really hope that Ellerby has a chance to prove himself.

UKPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:41 AM
RainingRats

Hope this doesn't cost us a draft pick.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=349744

wow he played with a broken finger too.

I'll say whats on everyones mind. There goes a 2nd round pick

Will Weiss finally get to wear the C or will we go with 3 A's? IMO he should be given it.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=349744

wow he played with a broken finger too.

I'll say whats on everyones mind. There goes a 2nd round pick

Will Weiss finally get to wear the C or will we go with 3 A's? IMO he should be given it.
he's allegedly out "several weeks". when's the trade deadline - end of february? i don't see how that'd interfere with tallon trading him.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Erick

Say what you want about McCabe (and I want him traded, as well), but I don't see why anyone would question him being the captain of this team. This is a case of great leadership to me. The most important leadership of all...leading by example.

I wish he wasn't such a dumbass defensively sometimes because in terms of the player he is, the guy has always given all he's got.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
he's allegedly out "several weeks". when's the trade deadline - end of february? i don't see how that'd interfere with tallon trading him.
There's 6 weeks until the trade deadline. Usually when they say "several weeks" it probably means more than 1 month or they'd just say "1 month". So if he's out 5-6 weeks, that means he's just barely coming back from injury or he may not even be ready by the deadline. So why would a team trade a 2nd rounder for McCabe who's been out for several weeks and will need time to get back into the flow of things? It may not interfere with Tallon trading him but it will interfere with teams being interested in trading for him, let alone getting a 2nd rounder for him.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Southern Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
There's 6 weeks until the trade deadline. Usually when they say "several weeks" it probably means more than 1 month or they'd just say "1 month". So if he's out 5-6 weeks, that means he's just barely coming back from injury or he may not even be ready by the deadline. So why would a team trade a 2nd rounder for McCabe who's been out for several weeks and will need time to get back into the flow of things? It may not interfere with Tallon trading him but it will interfere with teams being interested in trading for him, let alone getting a 2nd rounder for him.
I think that's reading into it a little too much. Several weeks means, get this, several weeks.

Southern Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Hockey View Post
I think that's reading into it a little too much. Several weeks means, get this, several weeks.
Detroit d-man Brad Stuart just suffered a similar injury a little over a week ago. When it was announced, they said he would be out 6-8 weeks. Its NOT reading too much into it and in this case, several weeks means more than 1 month.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/1...s-surgery.html

If you want more examples, a couple yrs ago Pascal Leclaire had a broken jaw and he was out 5 weeks. Nick Leddy last season while playing for Univ. of Minnesota was expected to miss 6 weeks (but I think it was 5 weeks also). Jack Hillen of the Isles also missed about 5 weeks last season from a broken jaw. I think its a fair thing to say that McCabe is probably going to be out at least 5 weeks based on past examples and that leaves just 1 week before the trade deadline.

Last edited by Coolburn: 01-16-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:15 PM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

I can't believe he played the rest of the game with a broken ****ing jaw that is rediculous and amazing.

Got to love hockey players' hearts!

NJD Kula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:44 PM
KW

I'm trying to find an appropriate way to express my conflicted feelings of not wanting to see a player hurt while looking forward to less puck fumbling at the blue line.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
johano90

Say what you want about his occasional defensive fumble but he is going to be missed for sure. The fact that he is a veteran leader in the locker room as well as on the ice and has the heaviest point shot on our powerplay should not be overlooked. I find it almost disgusting that we are concerned about this impact on us getting or not getting a 2nd round draft pick for him... The guy is our captain, played with a broken jaw and finger, and you are concerned about whether or not he will make it back in time for us to trade him?

This is assuming of course that we will be out of the playoff picture 6 weeks from now, meaning, that you actually have no real faith in this hockey team. I'm not trying to look at things through rose-colored glasses as I recognize that the chances of us making a significant push to the playoffs are slim. That being said, the first thing to cross your mind when this story breaks should not be a general concern for a 2nd round draft pick. It's not like we are the NJ Devils this season, even though most of you seem to desire that outcome more than our current decent hockey team.

This may be unrelated to the topic of the thread, but I feel like it needs to be said. To those of you saying that the only way to save this franchise is to tank this season, I would advise you to look into the prospect rankings for this year's upcoming draft. Scouts are unsure of who to rank as the top prospect and there is even consensus that anyone in the top 10 may go first. Meaning that there is no clear cut Stamkos, Crosby or AO who would save our franchise. You may actually get the best NHL player at pick 9 or 10. With that in mind I say we have every reason to be optimistic about the rest of this hockey season.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
Say what you want about his occasional defensive fumble but he is going to be missed for sure. The fact that he is a veteran leader in the locker room as well as on the ice and has the heaviest point shot on our powerplay should not be overlooked. I find it almost disgusting that we are concerned about this impact on us getting or not getting a 2nd round draft pick for him... The guy is our captain, played with a broken jaw and finger, and you are concerned about whether or not he will make it back in time for us to trade him?

This is assuming of course that we will be out of the playoff picture 6 weeks from now, meaning, that you actually have no real faith in this hockey team. I'm not trying to look at things through rose-colored glasses as I recognize that the chances of us making a significant push to the playoffs are slim. That being said, the first thing to cross your mind when this story breaks should not be a general concern for a 2nd round draft pick. It's not like we are the NJ Devils this season, even though most of you seem to desire that outcome more than our current decent hockey team.

This may be unrelated to the topic of the thread, but I feel like it needs to be said. To those of you saying that the only way to save this franchise is to tank this season, I would advise you to look into the prospect rankings for this year's upcoming draft. Scouts are unsure of who to rank as the top prospect and there is even consensus that anyone in the top 10 may go first. Meaning that there is no clear cut Stamkos, Crosby or AO who would save our franchise. You may actually get the best NHL player at pick 9 or 10. With that in mind I say we have every reason to be optimistic about the rest of this hockey season.
Very well said.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

This may be unrelated to the topic of the thread, but I feel like it needs to be said. To those of you saying that the only way to save this franchise is to tank this season, I would advise you to look into the prospect rankings for this year's upcoming draft. Scouts are unsure of who to rank as the top prospect and there is even consensus that anyone in the top 10 may go first. Meaning that there is no clear cut Stamkos, Crosby or AO who would save our franchise. You may actually get the best NHL player at pick 9 or 10. With that
in mind I say we have every reason to be optimistic about the rest of this hockey season.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:00 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I honestly hope Caber is done for the rest of the season or as long as is possible. I don't care if it costs us a draft pick, this will be good for Ellerby, and it provides Tallon further evaluation for next season. We're going to screw ourselves out of a good pick anyway. As for losing a 2nd potentially, well, we'll have plenty of picks still I'd imagine. Other guys will go at the deadline and we already have two 2nds and two 3rds and I don't think Tallon will be done stockpiling draft picks even after the trade deadline. This is good for Caber too. If he wants to prolong his career he could use the time off the completely heal everything that is ailing him right now and not carry around any lingering injuries. I hope that rest of his career is not with us but I wish him the best. The guy would play without an arm if you let him. You gotta give him kudos for that at least.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Erick

Quote:
Say what you want about his occasional defensive fumble but he is going to be missed for sure.
If Ellerby plays like he did the last time he was called up, I really don't think it will.

McCabe's defensive play has been pretty inconsistent/mediocre this year. His game, in general, seems to be heading downhill as he only had 2 points (0 goals) in his last 11 games. The last time he scored a goal was 13 games ago.

That powerplay time that he's had and done very little with this year will now likely go to Kulikov.

More experience for Kulikov on the PP + experience for Ellerby is really the best thing for this team long-term, and really...possibly a better scenario short-term as well, considering how McCabe has played recently.

I really respect him playing through that injury though, as I said earlier.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:29 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I'm not the biggest McCabe fan, but to play with a freaking broken jaw and finger, I have to give the man a hell of a lot of credit. He'll be missed offensively at the point, but this could be a huge opportunity for Ellerby over the next month at least. Overall, I don't think injury will make a major difference in how the team performs. At least I don't think we'll see many blindside passes right up the middle in front of the opposition's goal, which pisses me off to all hell quite often.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
If Ellerby plays like he did the last time he was called up, I really don't think it will.

McCabe's defensive play has been pretty inconsistent/mediocre this year. His game, in general, seems to be heading downhill as he only had 2 points (0 goals) in his last 11 games. The last time he scored a goal was 13 games ago.

That powerplay time that he's had and done very little with this year will now likely go to Kulikov.

More experience for Kulikov on the PP + experience for Ellerby is really the best thing for this team long-term, and really...possibly a better scenario short-term as well, considering how McCabe has played recently.

I really respect him playing through that injury though, as I said earlier.
I think though Eric, his leadership, vocal and by action, will be missed if this little run turns into more. I cant believe the guy played with a broken jaw, thats just ridiculous. Kudos to Cappy.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
McCabe has been in the league a long time so teams know what he can do, they don't him to audition before getting him. Its not like he has a knee injury or a shoulder injury, its a face injury, so he would be ready to go shortly after they acquire him and be there for their playoffs.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
I think though Eric, his leadership, vocal and by action, will be missed if this little run turns into more. I cant believe the guy played with a broken jaw, thats just ridiculous. Kudos to Cappy.
I have a few friends that are close with the team, and they all tell me that McCabe is so good for the younger players. He apparently is huge in the locker room and they all love him. This will hurt any way you look at it.

Also, Johano's post gives me hope for this fan base. Spectacular post.

KittysGotClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I'll join the party. I've never been the biggest McCabe fan either, but mad props for playing through a broken jaw. I think he'll be looked at more fondly by Panthers fans when he's moved out of Fla. ,not a second before that time.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Boooooth10

Didn't he play with a broken orbital bone last year? I remember seeing a post game interview with him and his face was just completely destroyed.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Say what you want about McCabe (and I want him traded, as well), but I don't see why anyone would question him being the captain of this team. This is a case of great leadership to me. The most important leadership of all...leading by example.

I wish he wasn't such a dumbass defensively sometimes because in terms of the player he is, the guy has always given all he's got.
I still don't think he's the best pick for captain, but I will give him a kudos for toughness. Toughness however does not equal leadership. Pavel Bure played with a compound fracture of his pinkie, that does not make him a great leader.

Regardless, that is quite awesome of him to do!

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
harv3317

i like mccabe and his leadership! he's an asset to this team, a leader and a great teamate. you guys so underate him. wishing him the best and hope he resigns!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:18 AM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
He's one tough SOB, but I won't cry if he's traded or misses the rest of the season.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote