HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik confident he will snap out of goal-scoring slump

Old
01-16-2011, 11:03 AM
haveandare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre taking the identity the rest of this team has developed and trying so hard to apply it to Gaborik. Unfortunately, he has NEVER BEEN the type of player that you want to see, so whats the point in complaining about it? Whether hes hurt or just in a slump, hes not going to be the guy that goes out there and lays it all out on the line every single shift.

And enigma is an offbase description. Like I said, hes played like this his entire career, but the difference is hes been able to strike at points during the game - and has proven over his career that when hes on the ice, hes a goal scoring threat. Period. Enigma describes a guy thats never lived up to his potential.

It just bewilders me that when goal scorers go through slumps, theres almost always catcalls for him to be something hes not/has never been. You say you want to see more "heart" "desire" whatever....well what the hell does that mean? Sounds to me like you want to see him throw a big check and get into the dirty areas of the ice.

Well, hes never ever ever done that before, even when he was scoring in bunches last season. The guy is banged up and going through a rough patch right now...he deserves criticism, but he doesnt deserve people completely misreading the situation and pleading for him to be something hes not.
I disagree. I also think he doesn't look as engaged and I'm not talking about him handing out hits and grinding in the corners. Any player can play his own style game with a sense of urgency. I just don't see him turning on the jets to get to the puck this year. I don't see him show any confidence in his shot at all, and for that matter, when he shoots its not the same shot that was there last year. He doesn't release the puck with the speed he used to, he doesn't shoot for corners like he used to, he's just missing confidence in his ability to score goals. It seems like he doesn't know exactly how to utilize his skill set or something, which is confusing considering the massive success he's had with it up until this point.

The two main weapons in his arsenal have always been his foot speed and his quick shot. Right now he doesn't look like the fastest guy on the ice and he doesn't look like he has a much better shot than anybody else. Something is wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7lMPgKOCg

I haven't seen him just shoot for a corner when in on a goalie like that once all season and its more than half over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kga...eature=related

Where is that confidence?

I don't think he needs to be harshly criticized or removed from the team or anything like that but I don't see how people can watch this season and say he's playing the same game as last year and just not scoring. He's not playing that game at all.

Last edited by haveandare: 01-16-2011 at 11:27 AM.
haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:06 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yes, there is a team identity, and everyone on the team is expected to put forth a full effort on every shift. The team lives and dies by its philosophy.

Gaborik is not special. And deserves no special treatment based on past accomplishments.

He's also not immune to criticism. He's earning over 7 million dollars per year, and is expected to be the elite player he's being paid as, game in and game out. Even on one of the most simplistic aspects of the game. The only thing any player has control of. And that's effort.

Its not OK for a player to float and not show up to big games because "that's his game".

And the "shoulder not 100%" excuse holds no weight. EVERY player in the league is banged up mid-season. Every one of them. And it doesn't stop the majority of them from showing up and giving a full effort to the best of their ability.

You're defending Gaborik in the same way others were defending Zherdev. Except you were against Zherdev and any of the posters who were defending him.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 01-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Leetch66

When Gabby takes a shot he also is usually heading away from the net towards a safe spot to avoid contact . That is not the sign of a hungry goal scorer IMO . I also noticed... like somebody already mentioned...that he is not drawing any penalty's like he should be if he had the jets turned on . He is either hurt...or floating ! If he is hurt...then rest him if not...bench him or ship him out for somebody that will be a team man and at least try every game .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
When Gabby takes a shot he also is usually heading away from the net towards a safe spot to avoid contact . That is not the sign of a hungry goal scorer IMO .
I've noticed that too. When he's skating into the zone, he veers off from the slot and just gets closed up between the defender and boards. And there's a lack of effort.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
When Gabby takes a shot he also is usually heading away from the net towards a safe spot to avoid contact . That is not the sign of a hungry goal scorer IMO . I also noticed... like somebody already mentioned...that he is not drawing any penalty's like he should be if he had the jets turned on . He is either hurt...or floating ! If he is hurt...then rest him if not...bench him or ship him out for somebody that will be a team man and at least try every game .
He just had a freaking shoulder injury, those take time to be 100%. I'm quite sure we would be much worse off if he would sit out a couple games, since other top defensemen are usually set on him.

Team man? Really? Last year he was a one man team out there for big parts.

Now, can you also give me possible trades that would bring in an improvement over Gaborik?

Patriks7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Leetch66

His play from last year ain't worth SH** to us this year . If he is hurt...rest him and give his ice to AA or somebody else who will go to the traffic areas .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Rangers44*

Maybe trade Gaborik for Richards or Iginla?

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
He just had a freaking shoulder injury, those take time to be 100%. I'm quite sure we would be much worse off if he would sit out a couple games, since other top defensemen are usually set on him.

Team man? Really? Last year he was a one man team out there for big parts.

Now, can you also give me possible trades that would bring in an improvement over Gaborik?
For example:

James Neal + 2nd + Prospect for Gaborik (+ 4.2M extra cap space that allows us to sign Richards this offseason). Essentially Richards + Neal + 2nd + Prospect.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:39 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I'm sold on moving Gaborik ASAP.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Tortorella apparently sees the same exact thing I've been complaining about.

Players don't get benched because they're snake bitten.

They get benched because they're not giving an honest 100% effort.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

seriously wtf is going n with all these players? Gabby ovie kovie malkin

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
EURO

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Well, it's a good thing he's confident because I'm not confident he'll break out any time soon.

Oh, nevermind. We're playing the Leafs next. Hatty coming up, as usual.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Send Gaborik to the Whalers for a couple of games to get his thinking going..

Slayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
Overpaid eastblock guys..becoming fat and lazy..

Old
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I think Lundqvist has more points in the past six games than Gaborik, and the same amount as Gaborik since January 1st.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Ke11y96

They gotta get him a veteran center that knows the game or at bare minimum that knows the NHL game like Christensen. Prospal was his guy last year this year he has no one, he's been pushed to playing with our up and comer in Stepan which hasn't worked out for him and Christensen has been out for awhile. If you go back and watch his footage from last year there isn't too much of a difference its just a matter of how he was getting set up and a lot of that had to deal with Prospal...I'll even take a stab and say Prospal was a key part along with St. Louis at getting Lecavalier scoring goals the way he use too..Honestly I think no Prospal was quite a shock and hurt Gaborik..maybe a move for Brunette or Bouchard wouldn't be a bad idea...Of course there's always my main push and thats to get Weiss in here

But seriously they need to do something and make sure that 7.5 million dollar investment blossoms.
Right now we've got some good lines starting to take shape and none are being formed with our most lethal threat in Gaborik.

XXXX - XXXX - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - MZA
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

yeah thats no Christensen, Avery, Drury..Christensen i'd move at the deadline and Avery and Drury if they want to be moved i'd move them but it'd be no easy task..if not i'd scratch them until i could buy them out this summer..I suppose they could get away with something like
Avery - Christensen - Gaborik
but I would still try and get together some more skill to compliment him..I wish it looked like Prospal was coming back but sadly I'm starting to agree with many he's not gonna make a comeback..

Imagine tho if we had a line that Gaborik worked with and was a top line scoring threat with that kind of depth..we would be a damn hard team to stop!!

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

I wish Gaborik has Callahans drive

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Youre taking the identity the rest of this team has developed and trying so hard to apply it to Gaborik. Unfortunately, he has NEVER BEEN the type of player that you want to see, so whats the point in complaining about it? Whether hes hurt or just in a slump, hes not going to be the guy that goes out there and lays it all out on the line every single shift.

And enigma is an offbase description. Like I said, hes played like this his entire career, but the difference is hes been able to strike at points during the game - and has proven over his career that when hes on the ice, hes a goal scoring threat. Period. Enigma describes a guy thats never lived up to his potential.

It just bewilders me that when goal scorers go through slumps, theres almost always catcalls for him to be something hes not/has never been. You say you want to see more "heart" "desire" whatever....well what the hell does that mean? Sounds to me like you want to see him throw a big check and get into the dirty areas of the ice.

Well, hes never ever ever done that before, even when he was scoring in bunches last season. The guy is banged up and going through a rough patch right now...he deserves criticism, but he doesnt deserve people completely misreading the situation and pleading for him to be something hes not.
Gaborik is a quiet guy. Hes very nice and reserved kinda like Lundqvist.

It still baffles me how some people want to trade him for more 3/4th liners cause they "fit in the system."

This system is a grind it out system because WE LACK TALENT. Tortorella has mentioned this ever since day one himself. Once the team gets some real chemistry going offensively im sure he will adjust back to the "safe is death" philosophy, as this style only suits this team while the talent is relatively young and inexperienced save for Gaborik and Lundqvist. He tried that out his first full season and look what happened. He had to adjust his gameplan because this team just isnt ready for it yet.

So yeah, trade our only elite talent for some more 3rd and 4th liners and when they get burnt out by the first round, you can pine about how we need talent again. Brilliant I say!

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:39 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Once EC and Prospal return to the lineup, he'll be back to his old scoring ways. right? right? <crickets chriping>

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:43 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
They gotta get him a veteran center that knows the game or at bare minimum that knows the NHL game like Christensen. Prospal was his guy last year this year he has no one, he's been pushed to playing with our up and comer in Stepan which hasn't worked out for him and Christensen has been out for awhile. If you go back and watch his footage from last year there isn't too much of a difference its just a matter of how he was getting set up and a lot of that had to deal with Prospal...I'll even take a stab and say Prospal was a key part along with St. Louis at getting Lecavalier scoring goals the way he use too..Honestly I think no Prospal was quite a shock and hurt Gaborik..maybe a move for Brunette or Bouchard wouldn't be a bad idea...Of course there's always my main push and thats to get Weiss in here

But seriously they need to do something and make sure that 7.5 million dollar investment blossoms.
Right now we've got some good lines starting to take shape and none are being formed with our most lethal threat in Gaborik.

XXXX - XXXX - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - MZA
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

yeah thats no Christensen, Avery, Drury..Christensen i'd move at the deadline and Avery and Drury if they want to be moved i'd move them but it'd be no easy task..if not i'd scratch them until i could buy them out this summer..I suppose they could get away with something like
Avery - Christensen - Gaborik
but I would still try and get together some more skill to compliment him..I wish it looked like Prospal was coming back but sadly I'm starting to agree with many he's not gonna make a comeback..

Imagine tho if we had a line that Gaborik worked with and was a top line scoring threat with that kind of depth..we would be a damn hard team to stop!!
Avery has actually played well with Gaborik in the few times they've had together.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Patriks7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
For example:

James Neal + 2nd + Prospect for Gaborik (+ 4.2M extra cap space that allows us to sign Richards this offseason). Essentially Richards + Neal + 2nd + Prospect.
By possible trade, I meant one that both teams would actually do. There is no way that trade happens. Neal is about on the same pace of points as Gaborik AND is 5 years younger. Plus, don't the Stars have problems signing Richards because of their budget? How will adding Gaborik's contract help? The only way Gaborik would be most effective for them would be on a line with Richards. If Richards sees there is a future there with Gaborik coming in, he will stay and we won't sign him. Also, doesn't Gaborik have a NTC? No way he's waiving it for Dallas.

Patriks7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
So we went from let's get a center for gaborik to let's dump gaborik in 2 weeks.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Slayem
Lucky Zuke

My line suggestions:

Gaborik-Stepan-MZA
Dubinsky - Anisimov -Wolski
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust

MZA should be used as a puck distributor as much as possible,even in PP. His playmaker talent and vision is huge and not much exploited yet, and I think Torts should build a line around MZA that could benefit most from his abilities,especially Gaborik. Let the others adapt to MZA not the other way around. Let the guy develop the role he likes best, serving his teammates with slick passes, we can already see "the shire" right?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:21 AM
AJRanger

It's almost as if Gabby needs Christensen more than people think. No, really.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote