HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin's requirements to come in NA

Old
01-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Emelin's requirements to come in NA

From that article by Alessandro which we already know we can trust, Emelin's mentioned the reason why it still didn't come over. He says that the Habs didn't want to add a clause to let him go back to Europe if he'd be demoted in the AHL. Now it's pretty important to make the distinction 'cause at one point, Alessandro means "stuck in the AHL" but Emelin states "demoted" which to me are 2 different things. But let's pretend he just doesn't want to be demoted.

You're in charge....would you prefer not seeing him at all than to give him such clause?

I know. I would personnally try to convince him that playing in the AHL for a little while would be the best in order to get himself in the NA type of game....and to a point, they have to find the appropriate words to make him believe that....but if he still doesn't want to....what would you decide to do?

http://sportshaze.com/russia/khl/ale...in-the-nhl-567

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Count of DannyKristo

I'd just put that clause in the contract. If he isn't good enough to stay with the Habs then he can go back to Russia. Then all that needs replacing is a 3rd pairing defenceman.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

At this point, I'd just give him the clause. If he sticks, he sticks. If he doesn't, let the kid go home where he's comfortable. Although, I'd try to work something out where he would have to spend 1-2 months in the AHL before he can go home.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:21 PM
samsquanch9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
At this point, I'd just give him the clause. If he sticks, he sticks. If he doesn't, let the kid go home where he's comfortable.
Pretty much this for me too.

samsquanch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
At this point, I'd just give him the clause. If he sticks, he sticks. If he doesn't, let the kid go home where he's comfortable.
Pretty much.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:25 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Use him in a trade package. He can be the incentive that seals a deal.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
GeneralMarky79

give him the clause.. if he doesnt want to be here screw him!! If he works out he works out. simple as that.. if he doenst play well keep him as a 7th d man

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
kalessin

He's not exactly a kid, he's 24 and has been playing top flight hockey in Russia for a while now. Hard to blame him for not being thrilled about the idea of spending time in the AHL.

If that's all it takes to get him over here, then by all means do it. I've all but given up on ever seeing him don the bleu blanc rouge so I'd take any chance offered me. What is there to lose?

Last edited by kalessin: 01-16-2011 at 09:04 PM.
kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:48 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

If he wants to either make the Habs or go back to Russia that sounds reasonable. Maybe management and Emelin could negotiate some sort of maximum time he might spend in Hamilton, a dozen games or a month or something? I dunno though, at his age would he have to clear waivers?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
Andros777

Why not get him to agree to a deal where he plays ten or so games in the AHL to adapt and a guarantee that he'll be brought up immediately after that.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Dr_Hook

I'd be for it. If we want to see what this youngster has, we'll have to give him something : either some sort of verbal agreement that he spends at least half the year in the bigs, or an out clause.

the risk for us would be minimal : worst case, he costs us a couple hundred grands does squadoosh then bails. Best case, becomes a legitimate low-cost NHLer playing with some edge. WHY wouldn't we give that a shot ?

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:07 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I dunno though, at his age would he have to clear waivers?
Not the first season, after that yes.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:17 PM
TheGoalJudge

**** the AHL. Just let him play here. He's a good player. We have a bunch of scrubs on the NHL roster as it is. Why do we dick players around like this?

He's comfy in Russia. If we want him we have to give him something.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
From that article by Alessandro which we already know we can trust, Emelin's mentioned the reason why it still didn't come over. He says that the Habs didn't want to add a clause to let him go back to Europe if he'd be demoted in the AHL. Now it's pretty important to make the distinction 'cause at one point, Alessandro means "stuck in the AHL" but Emelin states "demoted" which to me are 2 different things. But let's pretend he just doesn't want to be demoted.

You're in charge....would you prefer not seeing him at all than to give him such clause?

I know. I would personnally try to convince him that playing in the AHL for a little while would be the best in order to get himself in the NA type of game....and to a point, they have to find the appropriate words to make him believe that....but if he still doesn't want to....what would you decide to do?

http://sportshaze.com/russia/khl/ale...in-the-nhl-567

Trade his ass if he don't want to come over with a 2 way deal

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM
MXD

Could they do a 1-month clause?
Just so he could get used to play on smaller rinks?

He probably wouldn't be a Top-4 guy right away, but anybody able to play 15-16 minutes would really be welcome.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I wish he was here.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Picaroon

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Toro

If Emelin does not have confidence in his own ability to make the team than I don't want to promise him anything.

If he did he would allow any clause to the AHL

Old
01-16-2011, 08:39 PM
RE-HABS

How about give him a good AHL contract, something to show him he still make good money if he were to get a demotion?

You can't just give him a clause or an out, it sets precedent for other Euro players coming over. Play me or else.

Too many Russian players want it now, and don't want to have to work for it or earn it.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:40 PM
LyricalLyricist

He'll be 25 next year. If he doesn't have the talent to make the team at that age, let him go back. If he does have the talent, and its a matter of a little adjustment, convince him that he should have a conditioning type stint of 10 games in hamilton, if he doesn't recieve a call up by a certain date, he's free to use his out clause.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:43 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He'll be 25 next year. If he doesn't have the talent to make the team at that age, let him go back. If he does have the talent, and its a matter of a little adjustment, convince him that he should have a conditioning type stint of 10 games in hamilton, if he doesn't recieve a call up by a certain date, he's free to use his out clause.
This. i love it when lyrical says exactly what i was going to. saves me time.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Kriss E

I would.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
too much BS for a russian that has no real interest to come here except for more money.

If he doesn't want to earn it, go away.

Old
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Trade his ass if he don't want to come over with a 2 way deal
His potential is greater as a Hab than a low value trading chip. His demands are reasonable. People need to stop seeing the NHL as be all end all for all hockey players in the world. Emelin is a top Dman in Russia, is comfortable and makes good money. He doesn't have much incentives in coming over here. We need him more than he needs us.

Let's not dick him around over small things such as having the possibility of going back to Russia if he doesn't make the team. It would not be in his best interest IMO because 1-2 months in the AHL could do wonders to adapt his game, but if that's his decision that's fine with me.

If he makes it about control over his career rather than just money, I think it's pretty good news regarding his motivations for coming over here.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
TheBuriedHab

Give the man his clause!

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote