HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin's requirements to come in NA

Old
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This. i love it when lyrical says exactly what i was going to. saves me time.
And yet you take the time to write a post about how it's what you wanted to say.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
goman

Whether he is 18 or 24, pro or not, it will take him some time to adjust to the NHL. There aren't many players that can come over from Russia or Europe and immediately be NHL players.

From this article it sounds like one of the biggest reasons he wants to come to play here is because of the way NHL players are treated. ie training facilities, accommodations, etc. He mentions how that isn't a guarantee in Russia for all players. From that perspective I would think that the reason he doesn't want to go to the AHL is because he's probably heard about what a big drop off it is from the NHL to AHL in terms of these kinds of incentives. In other words, he'll come for the plane, leave for the bus.

Maybe that's not what he was saying but that's what the article sounds like to me. What bothers me is he doesn't mention that he wants to play here because it's the best hockey in the world. To me that says maybe he doesn't realise that and might be in for a surprise if he ever does make it out here. It is a different game here; faster, tighter and tougher. And a lot more scrutiny.

Also, what happens to his contract if he gets sent down but wants to go to Europe? Presumably he'd be transferred to his club team in Russia and his cap hit comes off the books. Is this possible/easy to do during the season? Might be another level of bureaucracy the Habs don't want to deal with. Not to mention that is simply not the way NHL players are developed - it's not the system. Why should he be treated differently than every other prospect? Is he going to step in and be a Chris Phillips type shutdown guy? If he's a great bet for our top 4 maybe they bend a bit but otherwise they can't mess with the system just because one player doesn't want to ride the bus like every other prospect.

goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And yet you take the time to write a post about how it's what you wanted to say.
The net profit is still something like 1-2 lines!

edit: why not have emelin just come over for the full training camp. If the staff sees enough promise to be an nhl d-man, give him his clause, if not then he can just go back to europe anyway.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Sign him. 1 year, with the clause. He'll either prove he's worth it, and NHL calibre, or not. We'll have the spots open on d, too, so where's the harm ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He'll be 25 next year. If he doesn't have the talent to make the team at that age, let him go back. If he does have the talent, and its a matter of a little adjustment, convince him that he should have a conditioning type stint of 10 games in hamilton, if he doesn't recieve a call up by a certain date, he's free to use his out clause.
You know what, your right. If he leaves it is off the books as he is in the KHL and the salary doesn't hurt the Habs cap. But, one would have to think that the KHL isn't passing out the bucks anymore to guys like Emelin as the cap there dropped last year and I'm thinking that is why Valentanko came back to North America where he is playing in the AHL still with a really young D core in New York playing already.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
goman

To those suggesting he just comes out for camp and we'll see if he makes it or not: sounds like the best option for the team but I would think Emelin would want to come with a contract. If he doesn't make it will he still be able to sign in Russia? Probably somewhere but maybe not with who he wants. He probably wants a commitment first. But then again, so does the team.

From his quotes it sounds like having certainty is important to him.

Old
01-16-2011, 09:12 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Give him his damn clause, the guy has top4 written all over him. The guy is the best complement to Subban in the organization, he would probably be on the top pairing with Subban 2 years from now.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Forsead

Konstantinov had around the same age when he has come over

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:27 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
IF I was GM, I'd give Emelin a $5m / 1 way contract for this year to see what he could prove.

Next year, when Markov/ Gorges / UFA replacements are back, I'd make him earn his spot.

I'd even pay the KHL a $1.5m transfer free to test him out cuz that would be smart long term.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
RE-HABS

Any news on Trunev or Korneev wanting to come over?

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:30 PM
guest1467

He does not sound very loyal.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Why would anyone ever offer 5 million to Emelin... ever...

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:40 PM
MXD

Actually, does offering him a 1-way deal would work?!?!
From the article, I don't think so, but having a 1-way deal kinda "prevents" demotion...

Or could they include a loan clause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
I think it was to finish THIS season.
The Habs don't have the funds to do this, but could offer a 4,2 M deal.

I don't think the IIHF, the NHL and the KHL would like it, though.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:44 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'd even pay the KHL a $1.5m transfer free to test him out cuz that would be smart long term.
The Leafs lost a draft pick for paying Jonas Frogren's transfer fee...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, does offering him a 1-way deal would work?!?!
From the article, I don't think so, but having a 1-way deal kinda "prevents" demotion...

Or could they include a loan clause?

I think it was to finish THIS season.
The Habs don't have the funds to do this, but could offer a 4,2 M deal.

I don't think the IIHF, the NHL and the KHL would like it, though.
One way contracts make no different about sending him down.

Are you serious that you would give him 4.2 million dollars? The guy has never even freaking played in the NHL before.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:46 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
cuz the season is past half over, the point was to give him a 1 way contract at a high enough price to let him play out the year to see if he is capable.

ok, so I can only offer him $3.5m with bonuses this year, I would do that, but make the bonusses so low that he achieves them.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
One way contracts make no different about sending him down.

Are you serious that you would give him 4.2 million dollars? The guy has never even freaking played in the NHL before.
I know, but at least the guy gets paid, and somewhat acts as a deterrent for the team.

I'm not the one who said that for the 4.2. I would offer him something for NEXT YEAR, but for this year, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I was merely completing what the other poster said (basically, offer him all we can, no other deadline moves)

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:52 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
cuz the season is past half over, the point was to give him a 1 way contract at a high enough price to let him play out the year to see if he is capable.

ok, so I can only offer him $3.5m with bonuses this year, I would do that, but make the bonusses so low that he achieves them.
Thing is he mentions they had no problems coming to terms over money, it was the clause. The money he'll make their vs here is likely pretty comparable, what he's worried about is getting sent down and having to ride the bus from Hamilton to Cleveland or Rochester.

And you can likely throw out the possibility of bringing him in this year. Although it would be good timing for the team as they have a spot he can fill, it would likely be too problematic politically for the NHL/KHL. I don't think the Habs are the team to rock that boat.

Old
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
If Emelin does not have confidence in his own ability to make the team than I don't want to promise him anything.

If he did he would allow any clause to the AHL
He probably has confidence.. but the coaches don't even always make the right decisions.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Just for the record, if we are to sign Emelin before he turns 28, it has to be a one-year two-way entry level contract with a base salary of $984,200 maximum and performance bonuses up to $2.85M

habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:58 PM
MTL-rules

For a chance to bring Niklas Kronwall 2.0... give him whatever the **** he wants.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
goman

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Just for the record, if we are to sign Emelin before he turns 28, it has to be a one-year two-way entry level contract with a base salary of $984,200 maximum and performance bonuses up to $2.85M
Good to know! Any idea on what the limit is (assuming there is one) for the AHL salary on a deal like this?

Old
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
BJG

Could someone clarify for me: Emelin says he is under contract until April. If we gave him the clause, money, etc, could he theoretically play for us during the POs?

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Megaforce

We should let him go back to Russia if he doesn't make the Habs but on the condition that he has to return over the North Pole with nothing but a team of Huskies and a portable DVD player and the film Snow Dogs.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
Roulin

I wonder if Streit had a similar kind of agreement with the Habs, maybe not written into his contract, but verbal? He had a really tough start in the league, but was kept with the big team, even when he was getting little or no ice time.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote