HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Doughty

Old
01-15-2011, 03:54 PM
scramble91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't know where you get this from. I don't see the 180-degree shift at all. Jack was making some terrible reads early in the season and he was criticized. He has improved in this area lately as the bad pinches, etc. now happen with less frequency. He is also getting his shot through from the point with greater efficiency and is producing points because of that.

A lot of folks have been critical of Doughty's conditioning and play in general from the beginning of the season. I don't see the 180-degree shift at all.

I see Jack starting to play better and some folks trying to pretend that he wasn't having probems early in the season, and that the only reason he was picked on then was that he hadn't signed a contract and now that he has we are all moving on to criticize a player that is not under contract for next season. Simply not true.
Actually i dont agree with JJs play improving alot from earlier. In my opinion, his d positioning has been horrible this homestand, along with everyone else. I do agree he hasnt made and horrible pinches lately.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Actually i dont agree with JJs play improving alot from earlier. In my opinion, his d positioning has been horrible this homestand, along with everyone else. I do agree he hasnt made and horrible pinches lately.
I will go along with your comment on his positioning recently. He has had his ups and downs this season in that department. Some of it might have to do with not trusting his recent partner 100%. I don't know.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:00 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't think so, Kopi got his payday because he came to camp in great shape his final year. Lombardi wants to see the commitment before giving a long term contract. Kopitar, Brown and Johnson all showed commitment off the ice first.

Doughty will get a 2 year deal. If he returns to form, he will get his payday, just like Johnson. Doughty only gets a long term deal if he takes a discount.
... I hope the Kings will have enough sense to not jerk Doughty around. He still is the team's best all-around defenseman, and he will torment the Kings for a long time if he chooses to leave when he's eligible to do so.

I'm not really surprised to see how many fans have turned on Drew so quickly, but I would be a bit shocked if the Kings' management goes down that same path. If they do, they will reap what they sow.

Doughty is still a very, very young player. He has obvious talent, but he is obviously pressing. If anything, he's trying too hard rather than not trying hard enough.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:13 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post

I'm not really surprised to see how many fans have turned on Drew so quickly, but I would be a bit shocked if the Kings' management goes down that same path. If they do, they will reap what they sow.
Same thing they reaped with Johnson?

Quote:
Doughty is still a very, very young player. He has obvious talent, but he is obviously pressing. If anything, he's trying too hard rather than not trying hard enough.
You mean like he tried in the off season? Oh right, none of that ever happened.

Old
01-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
... I hope the Kings will have enough sense to not jerk Doughty around. He still is the team's best all-around defenseman, and he will torment the Kings for a long time if he chooses to leave when he's eligible to do so.

Just like Johnson fled at the frist opportunity? Jeez people, there is no reason to lock a 21 year old for 10+ years. Doughty loves the Kings and will not be going anywhere. A 2 year deal is not "jerking" him around. He would be 23 and still an RFA. He's not going to demand a trade if he gets a 2 year deal.

According to some, Johnson was demanding $5+ million and was going to flee for the KHL. He then signs a 2 year deal for $2.85 million. Then it was that Johnson soured with the organization and Dean because of his comments about Michigan. Johnson was going to flee to Pittsbugh to be with his BFF Crosby at the earliest opportunity. Or he was going to demand a trade to Detroit to be close to home. He then signs a 7 year deal with Dean for $30.5 million.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You mean like he tried in the off season? Oh right, none of that ever happened.
... Like I said, I'm not surprised that some have turned on him so quickly - even feeling the need to make up reasons to justify it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I don't think the Kings will turn Drew into the next Larry Murphy. Some kids need their heads screwed on right by people who have walked in their shoes before. Right now, every team Drew plays against is proving that whatever he did this offseason did not work and he cannot repeat that again this summer. He'll be back.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 09:52 PM
no name

Ok, so I was stoned drunk last night and couldn't mention everything the guys on the podcast were talking about. They were laying into Drew and the Kings.

Barnaby mentioned that he's had long discussions with people in teh Kings organization about Drew and a couple other young players that were not brought up. He mentioned that Drew, like many young players feel they don't need to put in the work to be an NHL player and in Drew's case "if you don't respect the NHL you need to show respect to the guys that you are going to war with, and there doesn't seem to be enough of either". He mentioned that there the vets are unhappy with the lack of accountabilty front to bottom and that there is no veteran that demands the respect of the kids. Baranaby said that teams will tune out the coach and for such a young team they have an old style coach and no on ice coach to lead the way.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Tadite

The amount of vast overreactions on this thread is shocking. This is hockeys future not LGK.

We finally have someone who could be one of the best defensive men of his generation and some of you are so blatantly stupid that you want to trade him because of a down year? A down year that he is still likely to be in the top-20 in scoring as a d-man?

What? You think no one else in the world has ever had the problem of learning how to be a professional? You think this is in anyway unexpected? What's worse is that some of you are so masochistic that you're blatantly lying about whats going on within the team for as far as I can tell no real reason other to be negative.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
The amount of vast overreactions on this thread is shocking. This is hockeys future not LGK.

We finally have someone who could be one of the best defensive men of his generation and some of you are so blatantly stupid that you want to trade him because of a down year? A down year that he is still likely to be in the top-20 in scoring as a d-man?

What? You think no one else in the world has ever had the problem of learning how to be a professional? You think this is in anyway unexpected? What's worse is that some of you are so masochistic that you're blatantly lying about whats going on within the team for as far as I can tell no real reason other to be negative.
I don't think anyone here has condoned trading Doughty. He's been better than people are giving him credit for. I'm pretty sure he's everyone on this boards top 3 favorite King. With that said, it's perfectly acceptable to debate his dedication or his game play. It's becoming a popular thing to do not just amongst those watching his every day but some media members as well.

I for one am willing to give him a pass since he's actualy had a pretty damn good season all things considered and he's 21 years old. I just don't like to see his tantrums on the ice and his rumored attitude problems. Then I just have to think of myself 7 years ago and there wasn't anyone more cocky and had a bigger attitude than myself. We're quick to forget that Drew is just a kid.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
I don't think anyone here has condoned trading Doughty. He's been better than people are giving him credit for. I'm pretty sure he's everyone on this boards top 3 favorite King. With that said, it's perfectly acceptable to debate his dedication or his game play. It's becoming a popular thing to do not just amongst those watching his every day but some media members as well.

I for one am willing to give him a pass since he's actualy had a pretty damn good season all things considered and he's 21 years old. I just don't like to see his tantrums on the ice and his rumored attitude problems. Then I just have to think of myself 7 years ago and there wasn't anyone more cocky and had a bigger attitude than myself. We're quick to forget that Drew is just a kid.
I agree, but the same people that give him a pass for just being a kid, will insist that this GM and coach win with said kids. Let's face it, the Kings' best players are all a good deal under 25 years of age. This team may not peak for at least a few more years.

Old
01-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:

THIS, THIS, THIS AND THIS.

Great post Tad.

And in case you haven't noticed it, this place has already turned into lgk part II

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:52 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
I agree, but the same people that give him a pass for just being a kid, will insist that this GM and coach win with said kids. Let's face it, the Kings' best players are all a good deal under 25 years of age. This team may not peak for at least a few more years.
The key will be the next group of players Lomabrdi signs to replace the vets who's contracts are up. Lombardi is going to have the money to spend, the core locked up and there will be no free agents to sign. Right now the top LW's available are Brad Richards (who I expect to sign with the Rangers given the money and Tortorella behind the bench), Alex Semin who I expect to be re-signed before he hits the market and Simon Gagne who is having an awful season. Gagne does not fit into Terry Murray's system either. Lombardi is going to have to waive his magic wand to make the Kings stronger down the middle and on the left wing.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
regulate

Quote:

Welcome to "Generation Now", where in the age of the internet everyone expects everything to happen instantaneously and no one has to go out and earn it!

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The key will be the next group of players Lomabrdi signs to replace the vets who's contracts are up. Lombardi is going to have the money to spend, the core locked up and there will be no free agents to sign. Right now the top LW's available are Brad Richards (who I expect to sign with the Rangers given the money and Tortorella behind the bench), Alex Semin who I expect to be re-signed before he hits the market and Simon Gagne who is having an awful season. Gagne does not fit into Terry Murray's system either. Lombardi is going to have to waive his magic wand to make the Kings stronger down the middle and on the left wing.
True, but I don't want him signing the "wrong player" to a bad deal just to do something. If there isn't a player available in the UFA market or via a trade, I prefer that he just keep letting the kids develop at their current pace.

It is inevitable that a prospect or two gets moved at some point though. Moller needs to be on the roster next season or playing for another NHL team IMO.

Old
01-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Talk about overreaction, who the hell is suggesting trading Doughty? That's asinine, this thread has been a discussion on what could be hampering Doughty's play this season, because overall, he hasn't matched the performance from last season, but as many here have said, it is a learning process for a young defenseman and he'll learn to be a better professional as a result of this season.

And this isn't only being discussed exclusively on these forums. NHL media personalities are also discussing it on their programs as it was mentioned on CBC last night during their telecast of the game. I guess we can't be critical of the best players on the team when they aren't performing up to the standards they have set.

Last night was refreshing to watch and I hope he maintains that same level of play throughout the remainder of the season. As long as Doughty keeps playing that way, the Kings will stay out of a rut. Like I said before, this team goes as far as Doughty can take them.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Leo W
Stanley Cup Champs

24 P in 38 games and +13 as a defenseman=TRADE. lol

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
24 P in 38 games and +13 as a defenseman=TRADE. lol
Seriously... A 21 year old, after a concussion and missing 6 games, he is still almost on pace for 50 points and is almost tied for the team lead in +/-, on a team whose powerplay is failing... Ridiculous to comprehend how anyone can be THAT upset with his play thus far this year. We have high expectations for Doughty, and many believe he has lost a step so far this year, that he needs to adjust a little, but honestly, there is nothing to be upset about or to leave us panicking with his play. The guy is a going to be a Norris Trophy earning machine.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote