HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

**REVISED- Blues - Oilers

Old
01-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
I take comfort in knowing that all Oiler fans are not as ridiculous as the ones on this board.

All of you guys who think that Edmonton is going to get a bonanza of first-round picks, top prospects and top 6 NHL forwards for a player who doesn't play the physical game his size allows, who is overpaid, and who is pending UFA status very shortly... well, you're all kidding yourselves.

/close thread, and for the love of God, please don't allow any more "Penner to St. Louis" threads. Edmonton's HF fanbase seems to think, by and large, that the Blues should be falling all over themselves to give up the farm for this guy, and it's just not happening.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:19 PM
CCBC

The Blues days for trading for 1st rounders so frequently as they did in 2006, 2007 is over.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:35 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I take comfort in knowing that all Oiler fans are not as ridiculous as the ones on this board.

All of you guys who think that Edmonton is going to get a bonanza of first-round picks, top prospects and top 6 NHL forwards for a player who doesn't play the physical game his size allows, who is overpaid, and who is pending UFA status very shortly... well, you're all kidding yourselves.

/close thread, and for the love of God, please don't allow any more "Penner to St. Louis" threads. Edmonton's HF fanbase seems to think, by and large, that the Blues should be falling all over themselves to give up the farm for this guy, and it's just not happening.
I made the proposal only due to the injuries the Blues are going through, I know they will return eventually but Penner would be very valuable to your organization(nevermind that he has won a cup) injuries do happen more than once, so it would provide St.louis with depth and another 1st rounder never hurts for an organization like St.louis as they only continue to improve, so they can develop properly now and the main proposal was so Penner would contribute to help St.louis push into the playoffs, its a tight western conference so if you think the Blues are already in the playoffs then thats crazy, I'm just saying another playoff appearance for St.louis's organization would be vital cause the west is going to be just as tight next season.

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
I made the proposal only due to the injuries the Blues are going through, I know they will return eventually but Penner would be very valuable to your organization and injuries do happen so it would give you guys depth and another 1st rounder never hurts for an organization like St.louis have, so they can develop properly now and the main proposal was so Penner would contribute to help St.louis push into the playoffs, its a tight western conference so if you think the Blues are already in the playoffs then thats crazy, I'm just saying another playoff appearance for St.louis's organization would be vital cause the west is going to be just as tight next season.
You are making some good observations here, but a few more things to consider....

When healthy, we were playing terrific hockey. That can likely be expected, especially as our young guys get better, which they seem to be doing (even if its been slower than we would like).

Next, you have to factor in that the Blues are likely to get Penner like production from Tarasenko relatively soon.

Finally, our budget does not allow us to add Penner without salary coming back the other way. To further complicate this, we need every player that is currently healthy and on the roster, unless its Boyes, a fourth liner or Carlo. The rest of those players are to critical for the type of system we play/ are building and they fit the budget well. Unfortunately for us, none of our available players make sense for the Oil.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
You are making some good observations here, but a few more things to consider....

When healthy, we were playing terrific hockey. That can likely be expected, especially as our young guys get better, which they seem to be doing (even if its been slower than we would like).

Next, you have to factor in that the Blues are likely to get Penner like production from Tarasenko relatively soon.

Finally, our budget does not allow us to add Penner without salary coming back the other way. To further complicate this, we need every player that is currently healthy and on the roster, unless its Boyes, a fourth liner or Carlo. The rest of those players are to critical for the type of system we play/ are building and they fit the budget well. Unfortunately for us, none of our available players make sense for the Oil.
I understand but injuries can affect a team a ton especially when they're key players to your organization. I do factor the Tarasenko asset but do you believe he will just fit in like that? is he going to produce like you want him to? this is relatively a different league than the KHL. I think you guys would be better off letting Tarasenko rip it up in the AHL if St.louis can but then again he will definitely be an NHLer sooner than later. That's next season talk any who.

I really don't see St.louis making the playoffs with how tight the west is at moment, points are crucial at this stage and thats a big reason for this proposal as well. Trust me you don't want to be playing Conklin if you don't have to so hopefully Halak doesn't get fatigued or injured. Penner would be a very effective 1st or 2nd liner on the Blues, he does play physical, he is farmer tough and has valuable playoff experience, I would hate to see him leave(nevermind our 1st round pick) he provides Edmonton with experience but to me it's a quality vs quality trade. I know St.louis don't need Penner but he would be a beast in the playoffs for the Blue's if they run into a more "physical" team, mainly Penner would be a factor and impact player when you need those players come March and April. Playoffs are always vital for a young organization, so no one should count on being in them next season either.

I understand the budget and cap but that's what trade deadline is for, then again there is nothing wrong with St.louis when all players are healthy. I remember winning a lot of money at the begining of the season when I put money on the Blues over Penguins haha any who the main point to this thread was to improve Edmonton's defence but it's not as bad as some think when healthy and some are still developing, I think a Ian Cole proposal would make more sense at the end of the day as his value is not as high as AP or EJ.

Old
01-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Larson will be better than Johnson so why?
Are you new? Prospects > Roster players

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Larson will be better than Johnson so why?
Bold statement.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Bold statement.
Bold isn't quite the word I was thinking of...but your close. It starts with a "b".
Blues will be healthy soon so Penner would be redundant there when there's other spots on the roster they should upgrade. The Oilers have no reason to trade Penner(cap friendly contract, he's happy, producing, and the Oilers arent cash strapped) Unless of course a team made a ridiculous offer..ie Pietrangelo, or Johnson.

Old
01-16-2011, 06:42 PM
MPStoEberletoHall

No from Edmonton... But if you want Penner.. You could probably get him for a 1st or Cole and a 2nd

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:51 PM
PietroOshieLo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Bold isn't quite the word I was thinking of...but your close. It starts with a "b".
Blues will be healthy soon so Penner would be redundant there when there's other spots on the roster they should upgrade. The Oilers have no reason to trade Penner(cap friendly contract, he's happy, producing, and the Oilers arent cash strapped) Unless of course a team made a ridiculous offer..ie Pietrangelo, or Johnson.
Does it refer to the feces of a bovine animal, cause that's the only one I can think of.

PietroOshieLo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
No from Edmonton... But if you want Penner.. You could probably get him for a 1st or Cole and a 2nd
I wouldn't trade Penner for just a 1st rounder unless it was a top 10 pick but St.louis won't provide a top 10 pick so I have to say no. I'm not sure if Cole and a 2nd would be worth it either, Cole has played 11 games in the NHL and this years draft is supposedly weak, so that 2nd doesn't really mean much. I really would like to work out a deal for Cole though haha

Old
01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
HemskyToHall*

I'd take Larsson over Johnson.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:05 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
who says Larsson will be left when the Oilers pick? not that your saying that cause thats probably going to be the case, just curious on why you would pick Larsson over Johnson?

Old
01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PietroOshieLo View Post
Does it refer to the feces of a bovine animal, cause that's the only one I can think of.
ding ding ding ding ding! If Larsson dominated the WJr's and he was named the tourny MVP I could handle a statement like that...but from all accounts his stock has fallen.

Old
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
ding ding ding ding ding! If Larsson dominated the WJr's and he was named the tourny MVP I could handle a statement like that...but from all accounts his stock has fallen.
Currently on Larrson's team Runbland>Larsson. I do understand Larsson is 2 years younger. But as of right now Runbland is more NHL ready then Larrson. Larsson is talented and has potential but a prospect over proven NHL talent that has a higher potential ceiling in Johnson is silly.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyToHall View Post
That's like someone saying they would take Larsson over Hall right now....

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Sorry, but I worry that Edmonton overpays in a deal like this.

I know Eric Johnson is exactly what Edmonton needs.

And I know dudes on TSN and ESPN are saying this isn't a deep draft now... but they always brag about every draft being incredibly deep by June. Well... almost always.

I'd much rather see Edmonton hold onto their 1st rounder. Trade Penner for a top 10 pick and a depth player. Trade Hemsky either for a top 5 pick or for 6th-10th + a good prospect prospect + a depth player.

Call me crazy for wanting so much for those guys... but I just don't think there's any way Edmonton is going to part with Penner or Hemsky unless the price is high.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Sorry, but I worry that Edmonton overpays in a deal like this.

I know Eric Johnson is exactly what Edmonton needs.

And I know dudes on TSN and ESPN are saying this isn't a deep draft now... but they always brag about every draft being incredibly deep by June. Well... almost always.

I'd much rather see Edmonton hold onto their 1st rounder. Trade Penner for a top 10 pick and a depth player. Trade Hemsky either for a top 5 pick or for 6th-10th + a good prospect prospect + a depth player.

Call me crazy for wanting so much for those guys... but I just don't think there's any way Edmonton is going to part with Penner or Hemsky unless the price is high.
Which is why they will stay in Edmonton. The only team in the top 10 that would probably do something like that is Toronto and they don't have their pick. Why would a team overpay for a rental in Penner? Just sign him when he becomes a UFA. Could you get a first for Penner? Yes. Could you get a top 10 pick for Penner? Probably not.

What it boils down to is STL and EDM are not good trading partners. STL coming out of a rebuild EDM in one.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:16 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Which is why they will stay in Edmonton. The only team in the top 10 that would probably do something like that is Toronto and they don't have their pick. Why would a team overpay for a rental in Penner? Just sign him when he becomes a UFA. Could you get a first for Penner? Yes. Could you get a top 10 pick for Penner? Probably not.
Penner isn't a UFA till next offseason.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Bluester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
Penner isn't a UFA till next offseason.
Either way I don't see a top 10 pick going for Penner.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Akonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Either way I don't see a top 10 pick going for Penner.
You'd be right in that. Penner could, IMO, fetch at best (pick wise) a 15~ overall where a team is likely in a better position to deal picks.

Horton trade lite, if you will.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:50 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post

St.louis need wins now if they want to make it to the playoffs or hope they don't hit the injury bug again next season cause the west will be just as tight. I also think in the offseason St.louis should pick up a more reliable backup or call up Allen soon because Halak can't hold you guys in every game.

I do agree some fans may overate Penner but you are underating him, maybe watch a game with Penner involved before you knock him, he does play physical, opponents are intimidated by his size, he's probably tougher than anyone the Blue's dress up front, nevermind the back.

Old
01-17-2011, 07:52 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
...he's probably tougher than anyone the Blue's dress up front, nevermind the back.

Blues players who are tougher than Dustin Penner...

Front:

Cam Janssen
Ryan Reaves
David Backes
Brad Winchester
BJ Crombeen

Back:

Barret Jackman
Roman Polak
Tyson Srachan
Eric Brewer

Also you might want to tone down your analysis of the Blues, it hasn't been very accurate.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
joestevens29

I think there is value in that trade, but both teams probably hesitate on it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:32 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Blues players who are tougher than Dustin Penner...

Front:

Cam Janssen
Ryan Reaves
David Backes
Brad Winchester
BJ Crombeen

Back:

Barret Jackman
Roman Polak
Tyson Srachan
Eric Brewer

Also you might want to tone down your analysis of the Blues, it hasn't been very accurate.
Tougher maybe better over all player no. Penner 14 goals 15 ass playing on the 3rd line for most of the year. Look what he has done in the last 3 games playing on a true no.1 line.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote