HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
  #876
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
if we are sellers (I doubt) Williams, Handzus and Poni would be traded and we still would have a chance to make the playoffs.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
  #877
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
What do you guys think about trading for Elias? he is on pace for 60 points playing for the worst team in the league. He has 2 more years in his contract ($6M cap hit and $5M salary, NMC) thatīs a reason he could be acquired for next to nothing (my proposal, Poni for Elias). your thoughts?

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 11:10 PM
  #878
cneil99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Why is voinov always rumored to go? Is he never going to get a chance with the big club considering how well he's doing in the AHL?

cneil99 is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 11:32 PM
  #879
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
What do you guys think about trading for Elias? he is on pace for 60 points playing for the worst team in the league. He has 2 more years in his contract ($6M cap hit and $5M salary, NMC) thatīs a reason he could be acquired for next to nothing (my proposal, Poni for Elias). your thoughts?
If he can be acquired for nothing, why trade Poni? You could get Elias right now for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, not that I would, but you could.

Zad is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM
  #880
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 26,164
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I like the idea of getting Elias for next to nothing, but I hate the idea of having his $6 million cap hit on the books for next season as well. The Kings would be dead in the water when it comes to cap space both this season and the next. Elias would have to be the absolute answer for us for both this and next year, because we wouldn't be able to do anything or make any blockbuster deals unless we pay someone for a salary dump.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 11:51 PM
  #881
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneil99 View Post
Why is voinov always rumored to go? Is he never going to get a chance with the big club considering how well he's doing in the AHL?
He said that if he doesnīt make the NHL this season he will go back to Russia.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-16-2011, 11:55 PM
  #882
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
If he can be acquired for nothing, why trade Poni? You could get Elias right now for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, not that I would, but you could.
IMO Poniīs trade value < 2nd, maybe = 3rd.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 12:14 AM
  #883
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Speaking of buying low:Chris Drury? Ecklund is sayin the Kings and Rangers are talking, I'm struggling to find a player the Kings would be interested in. Drury has had an awful season and he was awful last year. He's over paid but only has one year left at 5 million dollars. He can play center and left wing. He's a proven leader and playoff horse. The Kings have Handzus, Williams, Poni and Williams falling off the books after this season. Would be a great mentor for Schenn, lol. Could Drury be the guy to fill the #1 LW role?

The Tikkanen is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 12:16 AM
  #884
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,890
vCash: 50
I love Drury but if we traded for him and put him on the first line that is one horrendous idea. Just sign him when his contract's done. That cap hit is massive.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 12:34 AM
  #885
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I like the idea of getting Elias for next to nothing, but I hate the idea of having his $6 million cap hit on the books for next season as well. The Kings would be dead in the water when it comes to cap space both this season and the next. Elias would have to be the absolute answer for us for both this and next year, because we wouldn't be able to do anything or make any blockbuster deals unless we pay someone for a salary dump.
I agree with you but i think thatīs a risk that we can take. I did the math with the help of capgeek.com, Right now we can get a player with a cap hit of $9,871,262 (basically any player), for next season $14.2 would come off the books (Handzus, Sturm, Poni, Williams) and we would add something like this.

Elias $6M
JJ $3M (thatīs the difference between his present contract and the new one)
DD $2.5M (that would make him a $6M dman)
Simmonds $1.2
Richardson $700k
Moller $300k
Lewis $300k

thatīs $13M. There is a good chance that the salary cap will rise again, so we will not have cap issues even with Elias. By December we could get a player like Nash or Vanek.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
  #886
cneil99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
He said that if he doesnīt make the NHL this season he will go back to Russia.
Right I get that but why hasn't he got a chance yet with the Kings

cneil99 is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 12:49 AM
  #887
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
I agree with you but i think thatīs a risk that we can take. I did the math with the help of capgeek.com, Right now we can get a player with a cap hit of $9,871,262 (basically any player), for next season $14.2 would come off the books (Handzus, Sturm, Poni, Williams) and we would add something like this.

Elias $6M
JJ $3M (thatīs the difference between his present contract and the new one)
DD $2.5M (that would make him a $6M dman)
Simmonds $1.2
Richardson $700k
Moller $300k
Lewis $300k

thatīs $13M. There is a good chance that the salary cap will rise again, so we will not have cap issues even with Elias. By December we could get a player like Nash or Vanek.
How are you going to replace Handzus, Sturm, Poni, and Williams?

sjmay* is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 01:13 AM
  #888
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneil99 View Post
Right I get that but why hasn't he got a chance yet with the Kings
Doughty, Johnson are both obviously better than him.

Muzzin had a great training camp (Voynov was injured during camp), and Martinez was playing really well in Manchester at the beginning of the year and earned the call up earlier this season when Voynov had only started playing after the injury. Since then, Voynov's been outstanding in Manchester but Martinez has been playing well enough to keep his spot in the NHL line-up.

Terry and Dean prefer a combination of 3 shutdown D-men (Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell) and 3 offensive/2-way defensmen. Voynov fits in the second category therefore will only be called up if/when one of Doughty, Johnson, or Martinez get injured or if Martinez's play begins to drop off.

redcard is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 01:25 AM
  #889
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,975
vCash: 500
I really want Voynov to get a call up to show his stuff. However even if he does decide to go back to Russia I'm pretty sure the kings would still have his rights. Can't really blame him too much though, he's been in NA for 3 years and didn't make the NHL yet. Going to the KHL would allow him to still get better as its on par and you could argue better than the AHL and personally he would be in his home country and making more money.

DAkings20 is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 01:40 AM
  #890
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
How are you going to replace Handzus, Sturm, Poni, and Williams?
forgot about Schenn and Loki ($4M together)

Elias Kopitar Moller/Loki/Lewis
Smyth Schenn/Loki Brown
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
King Richardson Lewis

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
  #891
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,891
vCash: 500
Although not necessarily a big name, what do you guys think of Alex Tanguay as a rental for the playoff run? He's been one of Calgary's more productive players with 32 points and has a low cap hit at $1.7M that expires at the end of the season.

Although he's not the most attractive option at first thought, he could add something that the Kings are missing in the lineup, a playmaking winger who can setup his linemates. The Kings are lacking in generating chances off the rush, but with good puck movement, they can increase those chances, and Tanguay can help in that area.

I also don't think it would cost much to acquire him. If they keep the lines intact as of now with some tinkering, the Kings could ice the following lineup:

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Tanguay-Stoll-Brown
Sturm-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford/Ponikarovsky-Richardson-Lewis/Westgarth

Gives the team some much needed depth up front for the playoffs. It also negates the probability of Westgarth seeing ice time.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 02:03 AM
  #892
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
forgot about Schenn and Loki ($4M together)

Elias Kopitar Moller/Loki/Lewis
Smyth Schenn/Loki Brown
Clifford Stoll Simmonds
King Richardson Lewis
Ouch, sorry bud, that's just a brutal lineup.

Moller isn't a first line RW, neither is Lewis or Loki, all you ended up doing was switching the problem from the left side, to the right, and in the process our 2nd line is worse.

sjmay* is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 02:47 AM
  #893
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
Elias? Do. Not. Want.

KINGS17 is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 02:57 AM
  #894
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Ouch, sorry bud, that's just a brutal lineup.

Moller isn't a first line RW, neither is Lewis or Loki, all you ended up doing was switching the problem from the left side, to the right, and in the process our 2nd line is worse.
ok let me put like this:
Elias Kopitar Brown (same first line with a better LW)

Smyth Stoll Moller/Lewis/Loki (same 2nd line, worse RW, but we are giving the kids a chance, There is a lot of people here that thinks those Moller and Loki deserves a chance.)

Clifford Richardson Simmonds (all those guys have played in the 3rd line this season)

Westgarth/King/Clune/Zeiler/Loki/you name it Schenn Lewis (thatīs a better 4th line).

I agree with you when you say that I just switched the problem from the LW to the RW, but we have 2 or 3 guys that could play 2nd line RW and I think that Moller deserves a chance in the top 6, and if it doesnīt work we will have the cap space to trade for a star player.

BTW I think Tanguay is a good option.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 03:09 AM
  #895
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
ok let me put like this:
Elias Kopitar Brown (same first line with a better LW)

Smyth Stoll Moller/Lewis/Loki (same 2nd line, worse RW, but we are giving the kids a chance, There is a lot of people here that thinks those Moller and Loki deserves a chance.)

Clifford Richardson Simmonds (all those guys have played in the 3rd line this season)

Westgarth/King/Clune/Zeiler/Loki/you name it Schenn Lewis (thatīs a better 4th line).

I agree with you when you say that I just switched the problem from the LW to the RW, but we have 2 or 3 guys that could play 2nd line RW and I think that Moller deserves a chance in the top 6, and if it doesnīt work we will have the cap space to trade for a star player.

BTW I think Tanguay is a good option.
Moller had a chance, I don't see it happening with him, but maybe I just haven't seen enough of him...

Westgarth, King, Clune, Zeilier, on the 4th line, with Schenn and Lewis, no, Cliche yes, but I would much rather have a veteran presence on that line with Schenn and Lewis, kind of like an inexpensive Smyth, to teach them and guide them along...

sjmay* is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 04:10 AM
  #896
greengiant91
Registered User
 
greengiant91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Dustin Penner fits the mold, I think we should target him. The oilers must be listening to all offers

greengiant91 is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 09:27 AM
  #897
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust
 
AKAY47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,301
vCash: 500
I think Tanguay makes a lot of sense, won't cost much, low cap and I'm pretty sure they were after him two years ago when the Lightning signed him. Penner would be nice too, Terry Murray had great things to say about him after the Kings-Oilers game, wouldn't be surprised if that's who we got either

AKAY47 is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 09:35 AM
  #898
The Judge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Although not necessarily a big name, what do you guys think of Alex Tanguay as a rental for the playoff run? He's been one of Calgary's more productive players with 32 points and has a low cap hit at $1.7M that expires at the end of the season.

Although he's not the most attractive option at first thought, he could add something that the Kings are missing in the lineup, a playmaking winger who can setup his linemates. The Kings are lacking in generating chances off the rush, but with good puck movement, they can increase those chances, and Tanguay can help in that area.

I also don't think it would cost much to acquire him. If they keep the lines intact as of now with some tinkering, the Kings could ice the following lineup:

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Tanguay-Stoll-Brown
Sturm-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford/Ponikarovsky-Richardson-Lewis/Westgarth

Gives the team some much needed depth up front for the playoffs. It also negates the probability of Westgarth seeing ice time.
I like it. Low risk-high reward move. Tuangay brings "creativity" to either our 1st or 2nd line. Has speed, has the moves and has the shot.

The Judge is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 09:44 AM
  #899
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy View Post
ok let me put like this:
Elias Kopitar Brown (same first line with a better LW)

Smyth Stoll Moller/Lewis/Loki (same 2nd line, worse RW, but we are giving the kids a chance, There is a lot of people here that thinks those Moller and Loki deserves a chance.)

Clifford Richardson Simmonds (all those guys have played in the 3rd line this season)

Westgarth/King/Clune/Zeiler/Loki/you name it Schenn Lewis (thatīs a better 4th line).

I agree with you when you say that I just switched the problem from the LW to the RW, but we have 2 or 3 guys that could play 2nd line RW and I think that Moller deserves a chance in the top 6, and if it doesnīt work we will have the cap space to trade for a star player.

BTW I think Tanguay is a good option.
The difference in your line-up is essentially Elias is replacing Williams, Moller/Lewis/Loki are replacing Sturm, and Richardson is replacing Handzus (I'm ignoring the RW/LW difference and analyzing strictly on a role and production expectation basis). This does not make us a better team, Elias is 5 years older than Williams and at this stage in their career's Williams should outproduce him next season. The other moves you suggest can be done without acquiring Elias.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Smyth-Stoll-Moller/Lewis/Loki/Richardson
Clifford-Richardson/Schenn/Loki-Simmonds

This, although still not ideal, would be a better line-up next season than the one you propose with the only difference being re-signing Williams and playing Brown on the left rather than acquiring Elias. Which, in the end, is more or less the exact same situation we're in now. The way I see it, we need to either retain Williams or acquire a winger who will outproduce him (which Elias likely will not)......or, preferably, do both.


Last edited by redcard: 01-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.
redcard is offline  
Old
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
  #900
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
and at this stage in their career's Williams should outproduce him next season...
if he remains healthy

Jungle Boy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. Đ2014 All Rights Reserved.