HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin's requirements to come in NA

Old
01-16-2011, 10:42 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
He does not sound very loyal.
Loyal to who?

To his Russian team? He might want to play in the best league in the world, its his right.

To the Habs? He hasn't had the opportunity to build any loyalty yet. Even if he's the most loyal person on earth it doesn't mean a thing.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Sign him with the clause and sign Korneev too.

Please.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
Sign him with the clause and sign Korneev too.

Please.
Sign him with the clause that he brings Korneev too. Doesn't that sound better?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:39 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Loyal to who?

To his Russian team? He might want to play in the best league in the world, its his right.

To the Habs? He hasn't had the opportunity to build any loyalty yet. Even if he's the most loyal person on earth it doesn't mean a thing.
To the Habs. It is very important, loyality on your team is crucial to having chemistry and good commadarie among players.

The fact that he wont even come over here if he doesnt have a clause that guarauntees him on the team at all times leads me to believe he doesnt really care about the team.

I dont know about you but I want players on my team to want and make sacrifices for the team ahead of themselves.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I wonder if he's more likely to come over next season if we re-sign Markov.

I'm sure he wouldn't be too thrilled to join a team and potentially be the only russian-speaking player. Does he speak english?

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:14 AM
Et le But

Quote:
To the Habs. It is very important, loyality on your team is crucial to having chemistry and good commadarie among players.

The fact that he wont even come over here if he doesnt have a clause that guarauntees him on the team at all times leads me to believe he doesnt really care about the team.

I dont know about you but I want players on my team to want and make sacrifices for the team ahead of themselves.
He's putting himself first, you can't really blame him for wanting some commitment from the Habs before he leaves his current job and potentially move his family. He has no reason to loyal to the club, not everyone is going to be a lifelong fan, for some people loyalty has to be earned. To him moving to North America is a sacrifice in itself.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I wonder if he's more likely to come over next season if we re-sign Markov.

I'm sure he wouldn't be too thrilled to join a team and potentially be the only russian-speaking player. Does he speak english?
of course the Markov signing will be a factor, there a reason why the Caps are not affraid to draft Russians.

I really hope he come here next year, at least for the training camp. I don't see no big deal to sign him to a NHL contract if he seem ready.He can be our 7th defensemen it will cost a little more than Picard but he can bring alot more to the team and become a regular player in the process

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Max Levine

I wouldn't see a problem with it either except for the fact that this could open a Pandora's box of outlandish clauses as well as be used by a number of Europeans. In fact, Avtsin could ask for the same clause in the future (don't know the length of his current contract). We could end up with players in the press box we would have sent in Hamilton if not for their special clause.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:54 AM
tinyzombies

I'm sure we've scouted him pretty thoroughly and if he warranted that kind of clause, he'd have it.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

The guy is making millions and probably living like a Prince in Russia. For what I understand, he's interested in coming to play for the Habs. What he doesn't want is to go to a dead beat place like Hamlilton, ride buses and eat at cheap restaurants with other players that make less than 100K/y.

He's also not saying he won't play for the Habs if they cut him. He just rather play in Russia than the AHL. The KHL is a better league, he's accustomed to it, he's enjoying it. If he moves to NA, it's to play in the NHL, not the AHL. I see nothing wrong. I don't know a lot of people that would leave their job for a crappier one, in a crappier city, where they know nobody and nothing.

The guy has not been to Mtl yet, has not met any of the players or coaches, is not familiar with a thing over here, and already you want him to show loyalty??..That doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

Give him his clause as it changes nothing. If he's not good enough, then send him back. If he is good but need some adaptation, then tell him he just needs to go through a 2week conditioning phase. Once he plays with us, pair him up with Markov. They would make a solid pair.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:28 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
I wouldn't see a problem with it either except for the fact that this could open a Pandora's box of outlandish clauses as well as be used by a number of Europeans. In fact, Avtsin could ask for the same clause in the future (don't know the length of his current contract). We could end up with players in the press box we would have sent in Hamilton if not for their special clause.
I dont think that would be the case. If he is a fringe player he probably would head back to Russia.

But this kind of examplifies a new problem for the NHL with the increased strenght of the KHL, players wanting some kind of guarantee of NHL ice time when leaving. It is a tricky one, if allowed, teams may have opened the flood gates. On the other hand it might results in NHL teams being more cautious about bringing players over and ultimately drafting them.

I dont think there is a clear cut right answer, will take a lot of discussion between the parties and thinking on PG's part.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:45 AM
SooperSingh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Could someone clarify for me: Emelin says he is under contract until April. If we gave him the clause, money, etc, could he theoretically play for us during the POs?
I'm pretty sure he can't since you can't add players after the trade deadline.

SooperSingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The guy is making millions and probably living like a Prince in Russia. For what I understand, he's interested in coming to play for the Habs. What he doesn't want is to go to a dead beat place like Hamlilton, ride buses and eat at cheap restaurants with other players that make less than 100K/y.

He's also not saying he won't play for the Habs if they cut him. He just rather play in Russia than the AHL. The KHL is a better league, he's accustomed to it, he's enjoying it. If he moves to NA, it's to play in the NHL, not the AHL. I see nothing wrong. I don't know a lot of people that would leave their job for a crappier one, in a crappier city, where they know nobody and nothing.

The guy has not been to Mtl yet, has not met any of the players or coaches, is not familiar with a thing over here, and already you want him to show loyalty??..That doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

Give him his clause as it changes nothing. If he's not good enough, then send him back. If he is good but need some adaptation, then tell him he just needs to go through a 2week conditioning phase. Once he plays with us, pair him up with Markov. They would make a solid pair.
Solid post, I completely agree.

01-17-2011, 03:07 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Could someone clarify for me: Emelin says he is under contract until April. If we gave him the clause, money, etc, could he theoretically play for us during the POs?
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers since he has already played in another league?
Are players that are signed after the trade deadline allowed to play in the PO:s?

Old
01-17-2011, 03:10 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
From that article by Alessandro which we already know we can trust, Emelin's mentioned the reason why it still didn't come over. He says that the Habs didn't want to add a clause to let him go back to Europe if he'd be demoted in the AHL. Now it's pretty important to make the distinction 'cause at one point, Alessandro means "stuck in the AHL" but Emelin states "demoted" which to me are 2 different things. But let's pretend he just doesn't want to be demoted.

You're in charge....would you prefer not seeing him at all than to give him such clause?

I know. I would personnally try to convince him that playing in the AHL for a little while would be the best in order to get himself in the NA type of game....and to a point, they have to find the appropriate words to make him believe that....but if he still doesn't want to....what would you decide to do?

http://sportshaze.com/russia/khl/ale...in-the-nhl-567
I've never seen Emelin play...but with all the hype he has received on these boards last few years...how would he compare to Giordano? He played a year in Russia and he is certainly a good NHL defenseman now. A fringe player before.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
The two could be compared. I dare to say that Emelin has better offensive upside, as confirmed by his better stats. Emelin has developed in a very good player.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Wouldn't he have to clear waivers since he has already played in another league?
Are players that are signed after the trade deadline allowed to play in the PO:s?
No, the waivers thing is for UFAs, he's an unsigned prospect.
I am pretty sure technically you can play the PO in the NHL after the European season, but it never happened and will never happen

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Why does he want to come in the first place? For the money? For the glory? Either way, the NHL is not some playground league where you can have youngsters throwing tantrums about playing time or being demoted. I mean, this is the best league in the world, if you want to play, you have to work your way up just like everyone else, and you have to work your butt off to stay up there, because there are hundreds of hungry kids waiting for their turn. Sounds to me Emelin is happy in the KHL being a top-tier D playing against lesser opponents and still being paid big bucks. I say he never gets this nonsense clause and he never comes over.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarto View Post
Use him in a trade package. He can be the incentive that seals a deal.
You really think he would be an incentive, I mean the guy never came over after so many years why would a team take a chance in a trade when they could get another prospect who is playing in NA

I say give him his clause, if it works out great if it doesn't he goes back

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:52 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
No, the waivers thing is for UFAs, he's an unsigned prospect.
I am pretty sure technically you can play the PO in the NHL after the European season, but it never happened and will never happen
OK, thanks.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Patty Roy

For whatever reason i cannot open the article.

It's all been said already in this thread, but i'd be fine with giving Emelin an out if he cant make the Habs and wants to go back to the KHL...what do we have to lose?

Of course Emelin has to be realistic and expect that he may be required to spend a bit of time in the AHL in order to ease the transition.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:04 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I wonder if Streit had a similar kind of agreement with the Habs, maybe not written into his contract, but verbal? He had a really tough start in the league, but was kept with the big team, even when he was getting little or no ice time.
Streit's deal , from what I remember was that he was guaranteed 30 games in the NHL.

But the question for Emelin is , why does he even need an out-clause? Just leave if you're not happy, Perezhogin, Valetenko not to mention Radulov and Huet didn't need clauses to go to Europe?

Also , are they even permitted by the CBA?

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
For whatever reason i cannot open the article.

It's all been said already in this thread, but i'd be fine with giving Emelin an out if he cant make the Habs and wants to go back to the KHL...what do we have to lose?

Of course Emelin has to be realistic and expect that he may be required to spend a bit of time in the AHL in order to ease the transition.
well i guess it might be a UFA defenceman in the offseason if money and a spot is given to Emelin.

Say we give the kid his clause an 15 games into the season he just cant stay in the lineup. We lost the chance to sign an NHL vet in the offseason.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Streit's deal , from what I remember was that he was guaranteed 30 games in the NHL.

But the question for Emelin is , why does he even need an out-clause? Just leave if you're not happy, Perezhogin, Valetenko not to mention Radulov and Huet didn't need clauses to go to Europe?

Also , are they even permitted by the CBA?
Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that mean that the contract would run its regular course if he goes back whereas for a guy like Perezhogin we continue to retain his rights if he comes back? That would be my understanding but I really don't have a grasp of this stuff.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't see why anyone has a problem with this at all.

He wants to come for the NHL or bust. If he can't make it, he goes home. Big ****ing deal.

The way I see it, he comes over and sticks or he goes home. If he goes home, we don't have him, just like we don't if we never sign him to a contract. If we sign him AT LEAST we have a chance at having one of our better prospects play for our team.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote