HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stupid Scrums after clean hits

Old
01-15-2011, 11:54 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Stupid Scrums after clean hits

I am getting sick of this in the NHL. Freakin Hall with his head down gets cleaned out; and now Simmer is hurt cause of a stupid scrum after a clean hit.

Hall needs to man up collect himself, and try and get Drew later not start a royal rumble. These players need to man up.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Firenze
Robynho

Simmers injury was a unlucky situation. In the Bruins game last season he made the same thing in the Mark Stuart's hit on Kopitar.

Firenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:12 AM
onlyalad

Half the people on this board would get upset if someone hit Doughty like Doughty hit Hall and no Kings came to DD's aid.
I am not happy that Simmonds got hurt in the scrum but as others have said that was just unlucky.

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
Half the people on this board would get upset if someone hit Doughty like Doughty hit Hall and no Kings came to DD's aid.
I am not happy that Simmonds got hurt in the scrum but as others have said that was just unlucky.
Pretty much, it was just really unlucky.

I understand why they started the scrum and I don't have a problem with it. If it was Smid getting hit and they started a scrum, I'd be a little annoyed

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
Pretty much, it was just really unlucky.

I understand why they started the scrum and I don't have a problem with it. If it was Smid getting hit and they started a scrum, I'd be a little annoyed
I do not like this logic. Teams need to stick up for each other, does not matter who it is. Now this was a clean check but I have no doubt that in Penner's mind it was a headshot, since the first time I saw it I thought that and things happen so fast on the ice I am sure this is what Penner thought. When, from your perspective, your teammate and I don't care whether it is Sidney Crosby or Raitis Ivanans gets run in the head you run in there and help out your teammate...this is way you have to act on a TEAM.

And yes the Simmonds injury is an unfortunate accident but one that happens in hockey.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:03 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I'd expect the Kings to do the same thing. I didn't mind the scrum at all.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Riposte!

That looks like a pretty serious knee injury. I'm going to go ahead and say Simmonds is done for the season.

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:04 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
I'd expect the Kings to do the same thing. I didn't mind the scrum at all.
I agree totally, except I've seen many times when Kopi got smoked and nothing happened. Weber nailed him a few games ago, nothing. I think honestly Kings are the worst when it comes to sticking up for teammates. Just me.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
I agree totally, except I've seen many times when Kopi got smoked and nothing happened. Weber nailed him a few games ago, nothing. I think honestly Kings are the worst when it comes to sticking up for teammates. Just me.
As a Wings (and Kings) fan, I have to say Detroit is worse, if that's any consolation.

They have a few guys who will drop the gloves, like Abdelkader and Ericsson and Cleary, but no one who is particularly a good fighter. So mostly it ends up with a bunch of face washes, at best.

And as I said on the main board, I understand the sticking up for teammates, but there were Oilers players mugging guys. In particular one who coldcocked a Kings player from behind, when the guy was already on his knees. The Oilers reacted as if Doughty and shot and killed Hall, slept with his wife, and kicked his dog. Especially considering Hall popped right back up to stick up for himself.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte! View Post
That looks like a pretty serious knee injury. I'm going to go ahead and say Simmonds is done for the season.
That seems a little too speculative and premature right now.

As far as the scrum goes, if Doughty or Kopitar take that hit, I'd expect a response from the Kings. Just sucks Wayne got hurt in the aftermath.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Just you? Have you not seen my 1,000 posts on this? You are absolutely right

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Hendrydoso

At least one of the future stars of the NHL addressed the issue, Hall said regarding the scrum that it's a little embarrassing to have your teammates jump in after a clean hit. Good for him.

Last edited by Hendrydoso: 01-16-2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: reel bad spelling
Hendrydoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrydoso View Post
At least one of the future stars of the NHL addressed the issue, Hall said regarding the scrum that it's a little embarrassing to have your teammates jump in after a clean hit. Good for him.
... He's right. It IS embarrassing, and unnecessary. I'm reminded of a hit that Mark Hardy made on Mike Keane in the '93 SCF, hammering Keane with enough force to knock the glass out - and there was no response. Keane got back up, and they played on. There was nothing dirty about it, and no reason to come to anyone's aid.

It just kills the flow of the game to have everything come to a halt over a clean hit, and of course there's the wonderful side effect of Simmonds' injury to deal with now. And again, for what? If hitting is a big part of a player's game, as it is to Brown's game, he's not going to stop hitting just because someone decided to start a scrum. The oversensitivity to clean hits should prompt rule changes and provide tougher penalties to those who initiate a scrum. It's not "old time hockey", it's ridiculous and unneeded drama.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:17 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... He's right. It IS embarrassing, and unnecessary. I'm reminded of a hit that Mark Hardy made on Mike Keane in the '93 SCF, hammering Keane with enough force to knock the glass out - and there was no response. Keane got back up, and they played on. There was nothing dirty about it, and no reason to come to anyone's aid.

It just kills the flow of the game to have everything come to a halt over a clean hit, and of course there's the wonderful side effect of Simmonds' injury to deal with now. And again, for what? If hitting is a big part of a player's game, as it is to Brown's game, he's not going to stop hitting just because someone decided to start a scrum. The oversensitivity to clean hits should prompt rule changes and provide tougher penalties to those who initiate a scrum. It's not "old time hockey", it's ridiculous and unneeded drama.
Another Example is look what happened last night in North D and Minny game, were a North D defense men is finishing his man into the boards (Legal). It lead to a bench clearing brawl! that had Derek Forbert get jumped by two guys and taken to the ice. That could have easily injured Forbert

All because a D man finished his check, and Minny didn't like it. Also it cost North D the game cause now their best D men were in the Box.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:40 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

But but but I thought everyone appreciated the "team toughness" deterrent rather than having a goon?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote