HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Wheeler

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Better have a 1st in there too......like the Leafs getting their own 1st back.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:09 AM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
I personally have no interest in Kaberle! Way,way too soft. Yes, the Bruins could use a puck moving defenseman...but I do not want Kaberle on the Bruins!!
Lol wut? I would love for you to find a tough pmd that u could actually possibly get for wheeler and not break your core with?
Tough pmd are very rare.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:13 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

I imagine as leaf fans get involved they will ask the BB first rounder as well

Old
01-17-2011, 12:20 AM
htpwn

BB will get chased out of Toronto with pitchforks if he does a straight Kaberle-Wheeler swap.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
I'd throw in Boston's 1st rounder with Wheeler.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:41 AM
seanlinden

Sounds more like speculation than anything -- likely based on Wheeler's size, disappointing results, and being somewhat expendable in Boston. First & foremost, Boston can't afford to add Kaberle if Wheeler is the only salary going the other way. Second, Kaberle has a NTC he's not prepared to waive, and adding Blake Wheeler does not make Toronto a better team now or in the future.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
NewEnglandSportsFan*

Send a message via AIM to NewEnglandSportsFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Its like saying Chara for Versteeg... its dumb, Toronto gets embarrassed, think about it before taking it seriously
Well Chara I think has a long term contract now, so his value would go up. If Kaberle were not a UFA he would be worth more than Wheeler I imagine; as a UFA though, I think if I were the Bruins I'd rather keep Wheeler since he is still RFA, young, and full of potential. Wheeler + for an extended Kaberle would be a good deal though.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:23 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Where are these rumours coming from?

Old
01-17-2011, 01:25 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

**** that noise, Kaberle is a #2 D-man, so we would only trade him for a top-3 forward.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:39 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frann3 View Post
Even that's bad.

Wheeler for Mikus/Holzer or Brett Lebda.
Bruins are a play off team.... For a play off team, proven pro player is greater than Mikus or Holzer. Wheeler is a top 9 player, who can play any forward position. And Lebda's not really good...

Not saying Wheeler for Kaberle would be fair either way, but to trade Wheeler away for mid-tier prospects and/or a guy that would at most be 3rd pairing/7th defenseman on our team is a waste of an asset.

Kaberle isn't the answer for the Bruins. He would improve them slightly, but let's not pretend that the Bruins are an elite team with Kaberle on the roster.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:51 AM
Jesus Toews*

Kaberle's value is slightly lower than Campbell's was the year he was traded to the Sharks at the deadline. Campbell netted SJ's (low) 1st and Steve Bernier. Boston's 1st rounder is also expectedly low and Blake Wheeler is more or less what Steve Bernier was at the time (he's markedly regressed since) so I'd say that's about fair value.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Antropovsky

I said this repeatedly when the Kessel rumours were swirling, and I'll hesitantly say it again in this case, Brian Burke is not interested in soft players (especially huge ones).

I really can't imagine Burke wanting an equally soft player, whose a close friend of Kessel's, on the same team as him, being able to influence him. It's best to isolate Kessel from these sorts, and stick him with a bunch of brutes and hope it rubs off on him. Or at the very least, makes him backcheck out of straight fear of having one of the brutes jockstraps stuffed in his mouth for the entire plane ride home.

Kaberle for Colborne please.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:31 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

.....Wheeler for Kaberle? close this joke of a thread.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:21 AM
nmbr_24

I doubt this happens, it sounds like somebody trying to sell newspapers or generate hits on their site to me.

One thing I find funny is how little most of the people who have posted in this thread actually know about Wheeler.

They guy is one of the best defensive forwrds on one of the best defensive teams in the league and is still a 20 goal scorer yet people say he sucks. He has been way more physical than he has ever been berfore and his all around game has progressed very well, so far in fact that the Bruins coaching staff trusts him to fill in at any forward position on any line, yet people are saying he regressed.

I'm not saying the Leafs should want him, I am just saying that the people who say he sucks, plays small, has regressed, etc. really don't know what they are talking about.

Wheeler has a great attitude and does everything the coach asks of him. The coach asked him to be a 3rd line checking forward, no problem, he does it, he asks him to fill in at center while Krejci is injured so all he does is go out and play the best hockey of his career, the coach asks him to play wing on the 2nd line, no problem, he just goes out and does the job.

Wheeler used to get a bad rap on these boards from Bruins fans, but this year, most of us can see that his game has changed and it has changed for the better.

Wheeler centering Kessel would be a good line, better than anyone the Leafs have centering Kessel now. I'm not saying Leaf fans should want him, but I really doubt the Bruins would trade Wheeler and a 1st for a guy who will be an UFA. I could be wrong but I hope I am not, Wheeler is a very useful player and i am happy he is on the Bruins.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:31 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
I said this repeatedly when the Kessel rumours were swirling, and I'll hesitantly say it again in this case, Brian Burke is not interested in soft players (especially huge ones).

I really can't imagine Burke wanting an equally soft player, whose a close friend of Kessel's, on the same team as him, being able to influence him. It's best to isolate Kessel from these sorts, and stick him with a bunch of brutes and hope it rubs off on him. Or at the very least, makes him backcheck out of straight fear of having one of the brutes jockstraps stuffed in his mouth for the entire plane ride home.

Kaberle for Colborne please.
If Wheeler could influence Kessel it would be a great trade for the Leafs. Imagine if Kessel would put in extra time to get better, imagine if he would do exactly what the coaching staff asks of him, imagine if he would stay on the ice longer at practice to work on the defensive side of the game, imagine if the coach said he wanted Kessel to be more physical and Kessel listened and went out and worked on it.

You know absolutely nothing about Wheeler because Wheeler is exactly the type of player who went out and did all of those things.

If 10% of Wheeler's work ethic could rub off on Kessel it would make Kessel a much better player.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:34 AM
fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frann3 View Post
Hamill - BUST
Colborne - Why would you be willing to trade him?
Caron - ^^
Wheeler - Tweener, won't have a long career
Ryder - overpaid and just isn't very good
Bodnarchuk - who?
Penner - who?
Sauve - who?
Arniel - who?

If you want somebody better than Kaberle I can promise that unless you're putting in Toronto's First and going after a team that needs offense (Nashville, St. Louis, etc.) you will not be getting what you think.
Well, I wish I knew as much about hockey as you obviously do??

I think the Bruins can obtain a good/decent defenseman that is better than Kaberle. IMO (and I'm sure you will disagree) I think the Boston organization is pretty solid in the prospects available and if they offered something like a 2nd round pick and a couple of young players like the ones above they may be able to obtain something....

Old
01-17-2011, 04:35 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

If Chia is calling don't even pick up the phone, please!

Old
01-17-2011, 04:45 AM
fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
Lol wut? I would love for you to find a tough pmd that u could actually possibly get for wheeler and not break your core with?
Tough pmd are very rare.
I never said it would be easy. I'm just stating my personal opinion....I do not like Kaberle's game - good skater,good passer,doesn't shoot enough, and absolutely no physical aspect at all. I'm not totally sure we need a puck moving defenseman! (Obviously wouldn't hurt). I really think we could use a very good scoring winger.

Again this is my thoughts:

I would like a scoring winger and I would be willing to give up:

Colborne
Krejci
Boston's 1st round pick and or 2nd round pick
Wheeler

or how about offering Chara ??? straight up or with a draft pick? I'm sure that would get someone pretty decent

Old
01-17-2011, 04:48 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Why would the Leafs want Wheeler? another third liner they can pretend is a first liner?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:22 AM
PlietscherDassel

Not a big fan of Wheeler.
I still hope that Kaberle resigns in Toronto as soon as possible.
He is a very important player for the Leafs (so we would have to replace him) and playing with him really improved Schenns game a lot. So why not resign a guy that helps the team and wants to stay in Toronto?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
If Wheeler could influence Kessel it would be a great trade for the Leafs. Imagine if Kessel would put in extra time to get better, imagine if he would do exactly what the coaching staff asks of him, imagine if he would stay on the ice longer at practice to work on the defensive side of the game, imagine if the coach said he wanted Kessel to be more physical and Kessel listened and went out and worked on it.

You know absolutely nothing about Wheeler because Wheeler is exactly the type of player who went out and did all of those things.

If 10% of Wheeler's work ethic could rub off on Kessel it would make Kessel a much better player.
So let me get this straight, I just said that Wheeler is a pansy who doesn't back check, and you came back at me with, "you know nothing about Wheeler...Claude Julien told Wheeler that he's a pansy who doesn't back check, and Wheeler is working on improving these aspects of his game"

???

For years, numerous Leaf coaches "tried" to get Alexei Ponikarovsky to play physical.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:36 AM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I'm not a Bruins fan. I think toronto fans are really over valuing what you can get out of a half a season for an UFA coming up. It seems likes teams aren't trading 1st's at the deadline like they use to in the past. Kaberle will NOT bring back a top 3 forward. At best toronto will get a 1st or a player like Wheeler or if they get really really lucky they can get Setoguchi.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
So let me get this straight, I just said that Wheeler is a pansy who doesn't back check, and you came back at me with, "you know nothing about Wheeler...Claude Julien told Wheeler that he's a pansy who doesn't back check, and Wheeler is working on improving these aspects of his game"

???

For years, numerous Leaf coaches "tried" to get Alexei Ponikarovsky to play physical.
Wheeler would rank 4th out of your top 9 in hits and plays the PP, PK and has developed a real good defensive game which includes backchecking. Please stop making assumption about something you clearly no nothing about.

Is Wheeler worth Kabs? Hell no. That's why this is listed as a rumor so everyone can now get their knickers out of a twist and carry on.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:44 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
Even though Kabs sucks this year..
You do realize he's on pace for almost 60 points, right?

Old
01-17-2011, 05:53 AM
LetangInTheSO

TO media have speculated about Kaberle being dealt for the better part of 3 years now. Kaberle's perceived value was once incredibly overinflated by many Leafs fans & TO media, so to see him ultimately get dealt for Blake Wheeler would be pretty damn funny.

Closed Thread