HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Giguere Considering waiving NTC

Old
01-17-2011, 01:55 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

vCash: 500
Giguere Considering waiving NTC

Quote:
FriedgeHNIC Elliotte Friedman
Mark Zwolinksi reports JS Giguere will consider waiving his no-trade -- http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...or-trade-talks
Hmm what team would want him for the rest of the season tho?

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Possibly NYI or Wild? I don't know how long their goalies are injured for but I can't really think of anyone who is in dire need of netminding off the top of my head.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

he will probably only waive for a playoff team.

But why would any playoff team want Giguere? He sucks now

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Possibly NYI or Wild? I don't know how long their goalies are injured for but I can't really think of anyone who is in dire need of netminding off the top of my head.
Guaranteed Giguere wouldn't waive to those teams.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:08 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
he will probably only waive for a playoff team.

Personally if I was a team like Washington or Philly.... and the price was right, I'd definitely take a chance on him. He steps his game up in the Playoffs, and is cool as a cucumber.. not to mention has valuable leadership qualities.

I could see Philly (if their cap would allow it), taking a chance on him, especially with Prongs on that team.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:10 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Huh, I thought once you waived your NTC you didnt get it again in the new club :p

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:12 AM
biturbo19

the Marlies?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
Guaranteed Giguere wouldn't waive to those teams.
He may just want to be out of Toronto for some reason?

Quote:
Personally if I was a team like Washington or Philly.... and the price was right, I'd definitely take a chance on him. He steps his game up in the Playoffs, and is cool as a cucumber.. not to mention has valuable leadership qualities.

I could see Philly (if their cap would allow it), taking a chance on him, especially with Prongs on that team.
Philly would have to drop serious cap space to get Giguere and that's not what Washington should be looking for. They need guys to score and help defensively.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:18 AM
seanlinden

This really isn't suprising. From basically every interview he's had, the guy is very concerned about finding himself a job next year, and rightfully so. If Toronto isn't going to resign him, then it's in his best interest to try and find a fit.

The problem is -- he hasn't been good this year, and only has 43 days to prove to the league that he is worth trading for. Even if his numbers drastically improve, what team is realistically going to trade for him? Colorado, Columbus, Minnesota & Washington seem to be the only possible destinations.

Full marks to him for not complaining when Reimer played, a willingness to waive the NTC, and basically being a very good team player; but at the end of the day a goalie needs to stop pucks, a team can only play 1 at a time, and Giguere hasn't done a very good job of it this year.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Claypool

Good players on bad teams typically have to earn the right to be traded to playoffs teams. (see: Dwayne Roloson)

That said, if you're a playoff team and want some experienced, playoff goaltending depth, he might not be a bad pickup for cheap.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Certainly not the Wild. Backstrom backed up Khudobin tonight so he is almost ready to play.

0% chance for Minnesota.

Last edited by Fel 96: 01-17-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:26 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Good players on bad teams typically have to earn the right to be traded to playoffs teams. (see: Dwayne Roloson)

That said, if you're a playoff team and want some experienced, playoff goaltending depth, he might not be a bad pickup for cheap.
problem is, he's not cheap. he might be relatively easy to acquire...but he'll eat up a boatload of cap-space, and he's not exactly a clear-cut #1 goaltender on a struggling team.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Claypool

These are realistically the only teams he could be traded to that could use depth:

Montreal
Washington
Atlanta
Carolina
Detroit
St. Louis
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
problem is, he's not cheap. he might be relatively easy to acquire...but he'll eat up a boatload of cap-space, and he's not exactly a clear-cut #1 goaltender on a struggling team.
That's not a problem. Most teams have bad contracts they can send the other way.

Claypool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Antropovsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
When is the last time a goalie looked like a #1 in Toronto? At some point you have to blame the team.

Brian Burke wants exciting offensive hockey, and Wilson is giving it to him, unfortunately for us Leaf Fan's, its the opposing team who is getting all the exciting rushes. I've never seen so many 2-1's, and breakaway's in my lifetime.... heck, we even gave up a 2-0, while on the PP. The Leafs are getting better at limiting them lately, as we saw during the Reimer hyping, but very quickly they showed us just how fast they could hang Reimer out. Just like they have done so splendidly all season long to Giguere and Gus.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:14 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
It looks like Washington to me.

For discussion purposes, another thread has a Kaberle rumor. What if they are part of the same scenario?

Kaberle and Giguere for Semin?

Crazy, right? Unless Semin is hating it in Washington and has said so.

Washington's goaltending isn't thier greatest strength. Kaberle could fix all sorts of problems on defence.

What is three and a half months of Semin worth? If Burke thinks he can sign him, it might be worthwhile.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:49 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
When is the last time a goalie looked like a #1 in Toronto? At some point you have to blame the team.

Brian Burke wants exciting offensive hockey, and Wilson is giving it to him, unfortunately for us Leaf Fan's, its the opposing team who is getting all the exciting rushes. I've never seen so many 2-1's, and breakaway's in my lifetime.... heck, we even gave up a 2-0, while on the PP. The Leafs are getting better at limiting them lately, as we saw during the Reimer hyping, but very quickly they showed us just how fast they could hang Reimer out. Just like they have done so splendidly all season long to Giguere and Gus.
that's a fair point. TO defence haven't been helping goaltenders a whole lot this year...but beyond that...Giggy has still let in a whole boatload of 'soft' goals lately. i just don't see many teams where he would be a significant ugrade right now...especially when you consider his salary and what that means in terms of other assets the receiving team would have to move out.

Old
01-17-2011, 07:41 AM
IrMitchell*

Despite playing bad overall this year, Giggy's been much better than Gustavsson in my opinion.. Gustavsson's been atrocious.

Trading Giggy for a 3rd/4th rounder may be one of the best things that team could do, because we all know about his playoff success.

He's a great leader and personally I think Washington would be an excellent fit if they're ready to send one of their young guys to the AHL.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:56 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan850 View Post
Hmm what team would want him for the rest of the season tho?
Old news - there was already a thread about this.

Possible teams might include Colorado as Anderson struggles and the AVs look to add Giguere's character and experience to a young team. The fact that he is a former Conn Smythe trophy winner and a solid veteran presence has a couple quotes saying he has value. I have no idea what that value is but he would seem like the ideal candidate to move, since he will not be back next year.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:04 AM
2fast4u2*

WHY would anyone want him?He is an overpaid goalie and IMO is pretty much at the end of his career.That groin injury he has has pretty much finished him.I dont agree that Philly needs a goalie like him at all,no one will pick him up at all if they had any kind of smarts.I would even bet he would make it all the way through waivers IMO

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:15 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
These are realistically the only teams he could be traded to that could use depth:

Montreal
Washington
Atlanta
Carolina
Detroit
St. Louis
Colorado

That's not a problem. Most teams have bad contracts they can send the other way.
I don't think Carolina works. The Canes would not take on his salary (even post deadline) as they are on a tight internal budget (real salary, not a cap issue). Other than Samsonov (who is paid 2.5M), they really don't have an option to send a "bad contract" the other way to balance it out. If they are going to blow their budget in a push to make the playoffs, they'd be better off spending money on a forward and/or defenseman.

Also, I would be surprised if Giguere would even waive his NTC to go to Carolina. Unless he gets injured, Ward will play almost every game the rest of the way so JS would have very little chance to play.

I just don't see Carolina even remotely interested.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:19 AM
2fast4u2*

I would bet that Giggy is imjured AGAIN before the end of the season,and it will be his groin again

Old
01-17-2011, 08:39 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

If i were a team i would pay something 'conditional'.

Giguere
for
(salary dump *if needed) + conditional pick

depending on where the team finishes in the playoffs, and how many starts Giguere gets.

ex.
Stanley cup finals = 2nd + 3rd (maybe 1st) , Conf. Finals = 2nd , Any later = 3rd

So, he is given to a team where his success will improve his trade value.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:46 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post

It happens to every goaltender that ends up in Toronto. Ruins their career.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:49 AM
2fast4u2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
It happens to every goaltender that ends up in Toronto. Ruins their career.
EXACTLY.......name ONE Leaf goalie that left the Leafs and got better....Besides Parent lol

Old
01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Skogger
Still Believe

The avs wouldnt want him, we arnt a contender this year and theres no reason to pick him up. Wont happen

Skogger is offline   Reply With Quote