HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere and Hartnell in trouble with Campbell?

Old
01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Briere and Hartnell in trouble with Campbell?

Saw this on Kukla's Korner. If they get suspended for this it is a joke. There is a YT video in the article.

Quote:
For after Brandon Prust laid a big hit on Kimmo Timonen and was skating down the boards, both Daniel Briere and Scott Hartnell threw punches from the Flyers’ bench that made contact with the Rangers’ winger.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...aiting_flyers/

Last edited by Opus: 01-17-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: add yt
DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
This def will not end up in a suspension, however they may get a call from coly letting them know that they probably shouldnt be doing that again..

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
jb**

the thing that pisses me off the most is if your going to take a shot from the bench, at least make it count and get in a good one. That was weak really. They should get a fine at least as that is a violation no doubt.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Snipsnap12

To add to this shelley and carcillo need to beat the piss out of someone in this game... timonen is absolutely vital to this team, we cannot have plugs like prust taking runs at him when he is standing 4 feet from the boards... its greasy plays like that where guys get hurt... fear needs to be sunked into our opponents...

dont **** with our players

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Opus

$1,000 fine.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:48 AM
2fast4u2*

That type of things happen alot.......most of it just never caught on tape though

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Kaktus*

I just wish they would hit him harder.

Dress Carcillo, Walker, Shelley next time. Sit Carle. Go after their best players. Gaborik, Wolski, Staal.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

A fine would be ok because like someone said, it is clearly a violation of the rules. But the "punches" barely made contact and even if they had it clearly didn't look like the punches would have done any damage.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
A fine would be ok because like someone said, it is clearly a violation of the rules. But the "punches" barely made contact and even if they had it clearly didn't look like the punches would have done any damage.
So what you're saying is they should judge punishment by result and not the action? That's what the NHL seems to do though which is a big problem I have with the league.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:17 AM
McNasty

Pretty stupid move.....

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Risotto

if they get suspended for that then we'd have a few guys getting suspend after every game

Risotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
So what you're saying is they should judge punishment by result and not the action? That's what the NHL seems to do though which is a big problem I have with the league.
No that's not what I'm saying. I don't the exact rules in respect to this type of thing, but if it is not specified what the punishment should be, then yes. If the rule says a player who punches someone from the bench should be suspended, then they should be suspended. If not, then yes the punishment should be based on the result of the action. Perhaps I spoke too soon...does the rule say they should be suspended?

This is (potentially) a different situation than headshots and boarding penalties. There, it seems there should not be any grey area (i.e. if its an illegal hit, it is a suspension) but in practice it would appear that they base the penalty on the result. In that situation it should not happen. But here (unless the rule says that a suspension is the penalty) a "love tap" like what Briere and Hartnell did should not be suspendable.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post

Always punish the action not the result, but the action was weak. They broke the rules, but say Scott Hartnell takes off his glove and rocks him in the nose instead of the love taps, it is still the same rule breaking, but the action was much more severe, and definitely deserves more of a punishment.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I'm of the belief that this is suspension worthy. At least a game each, you're sending the wrong message to players with a small fine. If I were an NHL'er I'd have no trouble and would gladly pay 1000 bucks to get a free shot at someone from the bench.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
To add to this shelley and carcillo need to beat the piss out of someone in this game... timonen is absolutely vital to this team, we cannot have plugs like prust taking runs at him when he is standing 4 feet from the boards... its greasy plays like that where guys get hurt... fear needs to be sunked into our opponents...

dont **** with our players

The problem is no one can scare the ranger players more the Torts and probably scared the **** out of them for playing like ******* for 1 & 1/2 periods.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Avery should be in trouble for continuing to punch Carle when he was down on the ice....

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Avery should be in trouble for continuing to punch Carle when he was down on the ice....

We see this all the time. It's a "code violation," nothing more. Besides, Avery never lived up to any type of honorable code before so he's not going to start with the Flyers. Agree though, it was pretty cheap.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
No that's not what I'm saying. I don't the exact rules in respect to this type of thing, but if it is not specified what the punishment should be, then yes. If the rule says a player who punches someone from the bench should be suspended, then they should be suspended. If not, then yes the punishment should be based on the result of the action. Perhaps I spoke too soon...does the rule say they should be suspended?

This is (potentially) a different situation than headshots and boarding penalties. There, it seems there should not be any grey area (i.e. if its an illegal hit, it is a suspension) but in practice it would appear that they base the penalty on the result. In that situation it should not happen. But here (unless the rule says that a suspension is the penalty) a "love tap" like what Briere and Hartnell did should not be suspendable.
You realize there is no hard and fast rule regarding suspension regardless of what you want to talk about, right?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I'm of the belief that this is suspension worthy. At least a game each, you're sending the wrong message to players with a small fine. If I were an NHL'er I'd have no trouble and would gladly pay 1000 bucks to get a free shot at someone from the bench.
I kind of agree with you. From a fan standpoint I hope they don't get suspended, but I can't really complain if they do. You can't go throwing punches from the bench.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Well, wasn't there a fight earlier in the game where Walker went to fight someone and Prust came up and shoved him to the ice from behind (last I checked that's 3rd man in)?

Or when that coward Avery decided to finally fight someone....a non-fighter, Carle, and wailed on him a few times after he was down and the fight was "over" while none of the refs were there to stop him?

**** them.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
BernieParent

I'd say, after a cursory look at the rule book, that this would normally warrant a 2 min for "interference" or a 10-min misconduct. Given the 5-stride charge that Prust got away with on Timonen, the fact that this happened with no time on the clock and that neither acts were any deliberate attempts to injure should render this a non-issue. Like flountown said, if either had really landed a punch or smacked Prust with their sticks, Campbell should step in. As it is, Campbell would probably best deal with it with a phone call to Hartnell and Briere saying, "I saw what you did. Consider this a warning. You do it again, I'll suspend you. Unless it's against Avery."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
dookie88

Didn't Dubinsky get fined with like $2 for doing exatly this after the the "brawl" against Edmonton?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Avery is such a disgrace in this league. Seriously though, whats the point in shelley. The idea of dressing him is so that players don't get away with this ****. How come Shelley didn't line up avery and take a good run at him. Or even prust. The guy is a joke.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Avery is such a disgrace in this league. Seriously though, whats the point in shelley. The idea of dressing him is so that players don't get away with this ****. How come Shelley didn't line up avery and take a good run at him. Or even prust. The guy is a joke.
Well, Shelley doesn't skate well enough to throw a lot of good hits.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, Shelley doesn't skate well enough to throw a lot of good hits.
If you can catch him working the boards, or heading up ice with your head down, skating doesn't really come into it. Say if he was battling the puck on the boards, i wouldn't be too gutted if shelley came around and smashed his face in.

I really can't stand that guy. Lets face it, we are not going to miss shelley on the team if he's in the box

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote