New England Patriots/NFL Official 2010 Thread : Part 3

Old
01-17-2011, 07:38 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
I knew they were going to lose when Brady started to pout. He hasnt done it in awhile and has looked great. Just everytime I see him start to hang his head and be quiet on the bench the game hasnt turned out well. He wasnt very good and his passes didnt have the oomph and accuracy that we have seen over the last couple months. Just a bad time to have a bad game.

Pats are starting to turn into the Ottawa of football. Great regular seasons but choke in the playoffs
Yeah, they are just like OTT...except for the three championships.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
Wow, someone employs you ?

PS, I am not allowed to call Nathan Horton 'Betty White' ?
wasn't it a thread starter? Someone starts a thread calling Nathan Horton is Betty White....I don't know I don't get it, but when the kids wake up I'll ask- maybe its a teenager thing I'm missing.

I can go find it and open it back up if the masses want it- but can someone tell me what it means. Is it good or bad- wait, other than your comments on Marchand (which are very good btw, the kid is the balls) I'm assuming its not flattering.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Johnnyduke

I know a lot of people hate the Patriots, but I don't know how anyone can root for the Jets. What a bunch of dbags--pretty much all of them. Seeing Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes on ESPN.com makes me want to puke.

The Pats made key mistakes in every area of the game--credit to the Jets. The Pats were never as good as their 14-2 record indicated, but obviously they're a much better team than they showed yesterday.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

As a Patriots fan, I now wish I had booked that trip to Aruba during the Super Bowl.

Oh well.

Here's hoping they come out of the pending NFL lockout better than the Bruins came out of theirs.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Vtwin
Amused

That was Tom Brady in a nutshell. Great QB who will kill you if everything goes his way. Get some pressure on him and he folds like a cheap suit.

Some questionable decisions by Belicek didn't help.

Vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtwin View Post
That was Tom Brady in a nutshell. Great QB who will kill you if everything goes his way. Get some pressure on him and he folds like a cheap suit.
This isn't accurate. Furthermore, obviously any QB will struggle more when there's more pressure on him compared to being able to stand there all day like Sanchez was.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

This game was a game where we got exposed on the defensive line. With Oakland's pick we NEED to get a pass rusher, we haven't had a real good one since Seymour left. Sanchez had all the time in the world to make good passes.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

We have two first rounders and with those first rounders I would definately get a pass rusher with OAK's pick and with our pick either a tall athletic receiver or an offensive guard, most preferably a wide out. Brandon Tate just isn't cutting it, we need a tall physical presence that can open up the lane for Welker like Moss did. If we can get a tall physical wide out then line him on the outside with Branch and and slot Welker in the slot like we did earlier this season.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:24 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareoftheBear View Post
This game was a game where we got exposed on the defensive line. With Oakland's pick we NEED to get a pass rusher, we haven't had a real good one since Seymour left. Sanchez had all the time in the world to make good passes.
Seymour's a free agent anyone think that he would come back at a reduced salary? Also what are the chances that the lockout actually happens that would really **** us in the ass.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

With the top four picks in this draft I would go in order,

1. Pass rusher- We clearly need someone to get some pressure on the QB.
2. WR- We need a physical wide out to open space for Welker like Moss did.
3. OG- Always gotta keep rebuilding the trenches up front.
4. RB- With Morris, Taylor and Faulk getting up there in age we are gonna need another big man in the back field, Woodhead has been good but he can only be out there for a limited time, he is more of a Reggie Bush back, we should use him as the new Faulk and put him out there on third downs for short screens. Green Ellis has been good but we are gonna need another RB.

Thoughts anyone?

Old
01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Right, so Brady has been terrible in the playoffs for the past couple of years, but because he had a complete team help to carry his ass to 3 Championships he's a God?

You aren't even arguing anything, you're just putting words in a box and trying to claim you win an argument without saying anything...........are you a female?
He did lead the team down the field when it mattered the most to set up filed goals to win the Superbowl. Yes the last 3 years have been hard but to say he wasn't a reason they won 3 SB and he benefited from a great teams is a joke

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Seymour's a free agent anyone think that he would come back at a reduced salary? Also what are the chances that the lockout actually happens that would really **** us in the ass.
Seeing as how he was steamed at how he was shipped out, I'd say there's no way he'd consider coming back even for more money, let alone a discount. Not going to happen.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Heisenberg77

Quote:

4. RB- With Morris, Taylor and Faulk getting up there in age we are gonna need another big man in the back field, Woodhead has been good but he can only be out there for a limited time, he is more of a Reggie Bush back, we should use him as the new Faulk and put him out there on third downs for short screens. Green Ellis has been good but we are gonna need another RB.

Thoughts anyone?
My thoughts are that it's depressing to see the word "Patriots" anywhere right now. It's hockey season now, let this sad thing fall to the next page.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
Patriots can't win if they can't cheat. No Super Bowls since Spygate. Fact not opinion.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:44 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
Based on BB's track record, I'd be shocked if he used his 2nd 1st round pick to take a skill position like WR. He just doesn't seem value the position enough to do it. If he did, he would have taken Dez Bryant last year instead of anything coming out this season.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Let's go Steelers!

Old
01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Well, my co-worker is both one of the biggest Yankee fans going and one of the biggest Pats fans going. So, in a way, the Pats losing will give me something to rag him about tomorrow. I'm just sorry for all the normal Pats fans that hate the Yankees.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
stick9

Quote:

Obviously you know very little about little about Brady. He's proven he's at his best when the game is on the line. You don't get compared to guys like Joe Montana by folding when it counts.

What this exposed was the flaw in the team itself. There are some issues on both sides of the ball.

Offense:
No legit threat out of the backfield. BGE is a nice power back, and Woodhead is good as a change of pace back. They lack that every down back capable of gashing opposing defenses for huge yards. (Marshawn Lynch says hello)

Also, this was the first game in which I think they could have used Randy Moss. We have some great possession receivers, but they needed a guy who can go up top and come down with it, or burn someone with blazing speed ala Moss.

Defense:
No real pass rush or rusher. Sanchez had way too much time. He's got a sore shoulder and a knee brace. You need to get after him.

Poor tackling by the entire unit. No explanation necessary.

Finally, the key to the game - the offensive line got man handled. When you sack Tom Brady five times and force him to throw uncharacteristic and multiple INT's, you have a better than average chance at winning the game. This game was lost in the trenches, not under center. Much the 07 Super Bowl against the Giants.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Arthur*
U MAD?

Quote:

Thoughts anyone?
WR isn't that big a need, and honestly, it's a much lower risk to get a solid #2 WR through free agency than it is through the draft. We don't want another Chad Jackson on our hands. I'd look for a veteran with size and reliable hands who wants to win and will take a slightly reduced role, like when we got Stallworth in 07. I googled 2011 free agents, and this list I found doesn't say who is a UFA and who is an RFA, but guys like Brian Finneran, TJ Houshmenzadah, and Greg Lewis could fit that supporting role. Vincent Jackson and Sidney Rice would cost too much, but I'd look into Steve Breaston.

The first three picks this draft need to be on the trenches. We can't do anything without a pass rush, since we traded Seymour, it's been Wilfork and a bunch of scrubs off the street, and we're getting no pressure. Vince is one of the best defensive players in all of football, and we're wasting his prime because he has no support going in for sacks when he ties up the entire line. The OL needs to be addressed and quick. Dan Koppen is not long for this league, Stephen Neal is probably done, Connolly is a pretty decent depth guard who's been forced into the lineup by injuries, and Matt Light is getting to the Recchi stage of his career where he has more bad days than good ones.

Mankins is a must-sign or the whole line will fall apart(and Brady can only be as good as his blockers let him be). Vollmer is very talented and Kazcur, when healthy, can cut it when he has good blockers beside him. Other than that, the OL really needs to be refreshed with youth. There are some good linemen in the draft, like the one kid from Boston College, and the first round is loaded with DE/OLB types, so they need to address those needs first.

Arthur* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Shaun
All Aboard

If Larry Fitzgerald is made available does BB trade picks to get him? Because we have more than enough.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
I would doubt it. Didn't seem happy to be traded to Oakland at the time. As for the Patriots, they really did miss Seymour, but that's the price they were willing to pay to not pay him. They get the reward of the Raider's 1st rounder this year, #18 I believe. But, they also burned 2 years off Brady's career at 32 and 33. He'll turn 34 in August. At least they signed Wilfork to an extension last year even though the deal would take him into his mid 30's. Finally decided to sign a defensive play maker into his 30's instead of moving them or letting them walk.

What will the Patriots do at the draft and free agency?

DL needs help, need to get more pressure on the QB.
OL needs help with pending free agents and age.
They need an improved running game, so whether it's better OL, new blocking scheme, or a better RB, that needs to be addressed.
I think they could use a WR who is a deep threat. They lost that this year with Moss pouting and subsequently traded away. When the DB's don't fear getting beat deep, they are going to stuff the smaller receivers at the line. Could also use a big body possession receiver.

Last edited by Street Hawk: 01-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
stick9

Quote:
If Larry Fitzgerald is made available does BB trade picks to get him? Because we have more than enough.
They were in on Boldin and should have landed him as the price wasn't that steep. Not sure if they'd get in on Fitzy. The price may end up being too high for them.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
I'd love that move, the hesitation would be salary-related and I'm sure they could work that out.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
nORRis8*

Quote:

Most of those sacks he refused to throw it away. What was up with that. A tad un-Brady like.

nORRis8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Don't see Fitzgerald as our target, because price might be too high.
We should really go back at winning games by DEFENSE. We were almost unbeatable with great defense. When we decided to let the Offense take over, we lost several times in the playoffs including the heartbreaker against the Giants.

We should focus on the following needs:

#1 DE (to get more pressure on the opponent QB)
#2 OG (always good to have, look at yesterday)
#3 WR (deep target like Moss who opens lanes for Welker)
#4 RB (we don't need a star RB as our offense is centered around the pass, but a decent RB doesn't hurt)
#5 DB (I like our backfield for the future, but at times those guys are looking flat)

Mr Cartmenez is offline   Reply With Quote