HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New Jersey - Ottawa

Old
01-17-2011, 11:03 AM
DownFromNJ

vCash: 500
So, I don't know enough about the Ottawa players to really comment, but if I'm the Devils, this is the type of package that I'm willing to pay for Parise. Two top prospects / picks + 1 solid NHL-ready player.

However, it should be noted that Parise's status will be a very important decision point for the Devils. Are they resigned to rebuild for a year or two, or do they want to contend in 11-12? If they want to rebuild, then they can probably be a better team in the long term by getting 3 players for their 1 star. If they want to contend, then there isn't much choice but to resign Parise.

As a Devils fan, I don't want to underestimate the value of having 2 of the top 4 picks in the draft. They could walk away with two of Larrson, NGH, or Courturier, which not only solves two major team needs long term (while they have enough solid wingers), but also increases their chances of finding a bona fide all star to replace Parise's amazing talent, at a lower cap hit for the time being.

I think that in a salary capped world, we often overestimate the value of a superstar. I'm the biggest Parise fan in the world - I bought his Jersey the day that they announced what number then-rookie Parise would have - but from a draconian hockey perspective, I recognize that the Devils need some more payroll flexibility. It doesn't make a ton of sense to pay two wingers on a team so much money.

DownFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Afro Thunder*

**** no.

Would rather hold on to the pick and Rundblad.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:42 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Sens fans will kill me... but seeing how this is hypothetical:

Parise + 3rd 2011 <=> Karlsson + 1st 2011

Reason I do this: We've already got D who are in the system who could replace Karlsson's roles. Rundblad has the ability to QB a PP, Cowen is an in-system shutdown D we need. Parise is something we don't have right now; a 1st line winger. The 2011 pick will likely be a top-6, but won't help us be competitive now and there is no guarantee that player ends up on Parise's level, or is even a forward. You have to give to get.

Not saying losing Karlsson won't hurt, I just think gaining Parise is worth it.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
Sens fans will kill me... but seeing how this is hypothetical:

Parise + 3rd 2011 <=> Karlsson + 1st 2011

Reason I do this: We've already got D who are in the system who could replace Karlsson's roles. Rundblad has the ability to QB a PP, Cowen is an in-system shutdown D we need. Parise is something we don't have right now; a 1st line winger. The 2011 pick will likely be a top-6, but won't help us be competitive now and there is no guarantee that player ends up on Parise's level, or is even a forward. You have to give to get.

Not saying losing Karlsson won't hurt, I just think gaining Parise is worth it.
Devils say no, even if the 3rd wasn't involved, IMO. Plus, we won't have a 2011 3rd. Forfeited via Kovalchuk contract.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Legend Killer

As a Sens fan I dont do it...I would much rather go young and not pay 7M+ for a guy coming off major knee surgery...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote