HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Benn being used as bait?

Old
01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

vCash: 500
I'm not going to believe anything from thefourthperiod, but with that said I would absolutely love to have Benn. But I think the most I'd offer would be:

Gogo, Talbot & Sneep

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
LOL .... did anyone actually read this link at all? I don't think so.

TFP is clearly giving their opinion that Benn could be traded for a PMD. In other words, TFP believes Benn is Dallas' best shot at a PMD. They in no way say that Benn is being shopped. Furthermore, GM Joe has said numerous times that Benn isn't on the block.

This thread really should be closed because it doesn't even reflect what was said in the article.

Quote:
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk is supposedly looking for an offensive-minded defenseman and could use Benn as a centerpiece to a trade.
EDIT: At the very least change the title to speculation. This is NOT a rumor.

EDIT: Clearly I'm blind. I looked at the article again and missed the line above the one I quoted. Sorry about jumping the gun on that.

Last edited by BigG44: 01-17-2011 at 11:28 AM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Strong two-way top pair D-man. That is all.
Good luck with that one. You'll need to start adding onto Benn to get someone like that.

Especially if your mind is set on Weber, like some of the other posters in this thread.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Strong two-way top pair D-man. That is all.
Markov is a soon to be up and coming UFA + hurt

Something around Subban for Benn is fair, but habs would claim they wouldn't do that.

The next best two-way d the habs have who isn't old as hell, or up and coming UFA is Weber. That would be Benn for Weber ++ Weber's not a strong enough two way dman to make it tempting, even if Pacs was with him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:25 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
I would sort of agree. However if they would be getting an extended Kaberle to a friendly contract, I would say Benn is available. Dallas is very good at developing wingers so they could see him as expendable.

Or maybe a trade involving something along the lines of Goligoski for Benn. Both team needs are met. Dallas gets a relatively cheap PMD and Pittsburgh gets a cap friendly winger for Crosby/Malkin.
i would hope youd be wrong. Dallas would be foolish to trade benn for kaberle, signed or not.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:26 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Any 2 pieces from the Sens except for Karlsson + Spezza. So probably a Michalek+Cowen thing would be our top offer but they can probably do better... and I'd be hesitant already giving up Micky

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Any 2 pieces from the Sens except for Karlsson + Spezza. So probably a Michalek+Cowen thing would be our top offer but they can probably do better... and I'd be hesitant already giving up Micky
I don't want to give up Cowen for Benn. Cowen is a perfect fit with Karlsson.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:39 AM
BigG44

Here is the article TFP refers too:

Quote:
By the time the playoffs roll around, Langenbrunner will be the Dallas Stars' second-line right-winger for his gritty game, with Brenden Morrow on the left side and slight playmaker Mike Ribeiro in the middle. Mind you, that shoves Jamie Benn down to the third line, and he's too good to play there. Many folks in Dallas think the Stars will dangle Neal for an offensive defenceman, figuring Benn can be a top-six player.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz1BJaS1Y6T
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...217/story.html

"folks in Dallas" is pretty vague. I just really doubt the team is shopping him. I would not be surprised if it was Neal though. Benn is one of the few guys on this team that plays in every situation. I don't think anyone would argue that he could easily fill in for Neal on the top line, and I believe he might actually fill that role better than Neal. I don't want to see either traded, but my money is on Neal getting moved before Benn.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

People don't realize just how good Benn has been for Dallas. A top defensemen would have to be coming back. Something that makes Dallas better not prospects.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:43 AM
BigG44

.... and for what it's worth, the 2nd line vs. 3rd line logic of the writer is flawed. Dallas' Top 3 lines play pretty similar ES minutes and are all capable of scoring. Benn can flourish and get plenty of time in his current role. A team wouldn't move a 21 year old kid because he's on the 2nd vs. 3rd line. In fact, Benn may be one of Dallas' best forwards for a checking line.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:43 AM
bobbyflex

I'm no expert on the Stars, but isn't Benn just wasting away on the 3rd line?

They have Lagenbrunner which gives them the right-handed shot they needed on the 2nd line. So they'll likely keep that line together. Then you have the 1st line with Richards and Eriksson.

Benn/Neal - Richards - Eriksson
Morrow - Ribeiro - Lagenbrunner

So one of Neal and Benn could be flipped for a #1-#2 d-man? Who would the Stars rather keep? I'd love to get my hands on either Neal or Benn. Exactly what the Leafs need

Schenn for Neal or Benn
OR
Beauchemin + Kadri for Neal or Benn

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
he's being used as bait as much as Seabrook... you dangle out Benn to see who could be had then you come at the team with a Larsen or Glennie package for said player instead of Benn

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
.... and for what it's worth, the 2nd line vs. 3rd line logic of the writer is flawed. Dallas' Top 3 lines play pretty similar ES minutes and are all capable of scoring. Benn can flourish and get plenty of time in his current role. A team wouldn't move a 21 year old kid because he's on the 2nd vs. 3rd line. In fact, Benn may be one of Dallas' best forwards for a checking line.
Lol. u posted that the same time as my post. thx a lot

Old
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
jdpitt05

I bet something could probably get done in a deal based on Despres and Benn. He could develop into a top pairing 2 way defenseman. I assume Dallas would want help this year though instead of building for the future.

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Sterling31
Takin' Over

Could Dallas use a guy like Kaberle for the playoffs? the stars have been quite decent this year.

Kaberle
for
Prospects Or Picks Or young roster player
+
(A closed door 'head nod' from GM Joe, that he will trade the rights to Richards to the leafs before free-agents [if they arent signing him])

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Weber...
Are you seriously suggesting you could get Weber for Benn?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
I bet something could probably get done in a deal based on Despres and Benn. He could develop into a top pairing 2 way defenseman. I assume Dallas would want help this year though instead of building for the future.
Given that Dallas want to make a deep run in the playoffs they wont trade Benn for prospects or picks.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Remember2004

So out of Benn, Neal, Eriksson who has the most trade value?

Would you be interested in Regher++ for Eriksonn? Or Regher+ for Neal?
I was thinking something around a prospect not named Backlund and a high end pick not our 1st, maybe 2 seconds next year?
Also just out of curiosity what would it take to get RIchards out?

Dal: Regher, Stajan,3rd rnd 2011, Niemesz
Cgy: Brad Richards (Dallas Conditional 2nd if he doesnt resign)

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
To LA for Simmonds+?
Says he's looking for an offensive minded defenseman.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:10 PM
birddog*

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Says he's looking for an offensive minded defenseman.
Goligoski for Benn seems like a fair swap

Old
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember2004 View Post
So out of Benn, Neal, Eriksson who has the most trade value?

Would you be interested in Regher++ for Eriksonn? Or Regher+ for Neal?
I was thinking something around a prospect not named Backlund and a high end pick not our 1st, maybe 2 seconds next year?
Also just out of curiosity what would it take to get RIchards out?

Dal: Regher, Stajan,3rd rnd 2011, Niemesz
Cgy: Brad Richards (Dallas Conditional 2nd if he doesnt resign)
I think Eriksson has the most trade value on the Stars and trading him would leave a massive hole at RW. He's basically untradeable for Dallas. Benn probalby has the next highest followed closely by neal.

Old
01-17-2011, 12:21 PM
tankotopgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i would hope youd be wrong. Dallas would be foolish to trade benn for kaberle, signed or not.
really? a team who has a good shot at a deep playoff run trading for a PMD who has 29 points which is the same as what benn has. teams have definetly moved aggressively when it comes to cup dreams. i think if the leafs threw something in like a conditional pick with kaberle would be a decent trade. something similar to langs trade depending on how dallas does and if kaberle resigns. however it would also pend on him remove NTC and going west coast which he said he didnt want to before. TO would do well to chase benn as he could have potential to be 1st or 2nd line LW which is a toronto need.

tankotopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
tankotopgun

oh and imo unless they get new owner soon i dont see them signing richards and ribeiro will most likely become their 1st line C again so thats why i dont think they move ribeiro. plus thats another reason i dont think they mind if kaberle doesnt sign especially if they get a pick because they get the cap space back as well.

tankotopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankotopgun View Post
really? a team who has a good shot at a deep playoff run trading for a PMD who has 29 points which is the same as what benn has. teams have definetly moved aggressively when it comes to cup dreams. i think if the leafs threw something in like a conditional pick with kaberle would be a decent trade. something similar to langs trade depending on how dallas does and if kaberle resigns. however it would also pend on him remove NTC and going west coast which he said he didnt want to before. TO would do well to chase benn as he could have potential to be 1st or 2nd line LW which is a toronto need.
Yeah they have similar point totals but I think Benn is more important to teh stars than kaberle would be.