HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article on Avery's Antics

Old
01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
Article on Avery's Antics

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...r_Rangers.html

Quote:
NEW YORK - Lining up across from Sean Avery with just 11 minutes to play last night, Flyers forward Jody Shelley had to show restraint, like boys gazing at the popular girl at the high school prom.

"We had lots of guys that wanted to have a little dance with Avery," coach Peter Laviolette said. "We had lots of guys that wanted to do it, but he just didn't want to respond."

Like that girl in high school who thinks she's untouchable, Avery - the NHL's fashionista diva - made sure he wasn't assaulted in the third period. All talk, no walk.

A period earlier, Avery threw down his gloves with an unsuspecting victim - defenseman Matt Carle - and dropped him with four punches, including three of them that were landed after Carle hit the ice. Carle had never fought in his 5-year career.

"I don't know if I'd really call that a fight," Carle said. "I didn't really know what was going on. I had my jersey wrapped over my head and the next thing I knew I was getting punched in the face and I was on the ice."

"You'd like to settle it a different way," said Shelley, the Flyers' enforcer. "I didn't like the way it went down. But you know he's going to try to suck you in. It was a 3-0 game and I didn't want to take a penalty. It took a lot [of restraint]."

Shelley, like the Flyers, kept his composure - through the line brawl with Avery - and through the two goals the Rangers had scored in the third period to preserve a gutty, 3-2 road win at Madison Square Garden last night.
This article is hilarious and calls out Avery for being the little #$%&* he is!!!! Enjoy and discuss!!!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-17-2011 at 11:25 AM.
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
That guy really disgusts me.
His schtick is tired and I dont think anyone on this board, or the NHL for that matter, disagrees with me.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
That guy really disgusts me.
His schtick is tired and I dont think anyone on this board, or the NHL for that matter, disagrees with me.
Well, that's all true but why threadjack with a post about Eklund?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
dalessam

Send a message via AIM to dalessam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Well, that's all true but why threadjack with a post about Eklund?
Win.

dalessam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Jimmy Villa

I hope Shelley dumps this chump next time

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
kicksave27

Jonesy was killing him on TV.

JJ "shelley was his teamate laast year, but there is no friends on the ice"
Jonsey "just because they were teamates doesn't mean they are friends, he probably hates him more"

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
AaronTrieu

i LOVE how there isn't a thread on avery on the main board. it just goes to show how irrelevant he is in the hockey world.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

And we supposedly 6v5'd them in the scrum...

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...against-flyers

Quote:
Now it's a melee. You'll notice that two Rangers -- Dan Girardi and Steve Eminger -- have joined the scene. Betts has gone to pull Dubinsky off of Shelley, because he's still wrapped on top of his back like glue, so Eminger comes to help out there. Meanwhile, Carle has hold of Avery, Walker has a pretty good handle on Newbury by this point and Carle and Prust are just dancing.

But Girardi, hm. Why doesn't he have a dancing partner? Oh, because the Rangers had too many men on the ice. You'll notice here that Girardi realizes this and tries to duck and hide behind everybody. Pretty funny.
NY had to many men on the ice the whole time.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
BernieParent

If the refs had had the common sense to actually penalize the Rangers for starting that crap, the game may have turned out differently. The Flyers wait out the PP, then score a fourth goal within 30 sec, and it's probably lights out.

Shelley can then take on Avery with a 4-0 lead in the third period, and sit the extra 2 and 10 for instigating.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Bundy was livid too... "Here's what you do: you send out Shelley, tell him to grab Gaborik, and pound him into the faceoff circle."

On Dubinsky: "You tell that kid if he doesn't cut it out, you're going to beat him like he's never been beaten before in front of 20,000 people."

Scattered throughout the third period regarding Avery: "I don't know who's going to, but someone is going to get him. He's going to get his."

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:26 PM
BringBackStevens

It's pretty amazing that we didn't get a PP out of that sequence

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Ok that explains the shelley situation. But sometimes, it just has to be done. Regarless if you take a penalty or not. Prust and Avery needed to be taught a lesson. You don't **** with the flyers.

Hartnell has done a pretty damn good job in dealing with Avery over the years. He beats that assclown down everytime. In the next game, someone is going to run avery within the first 2 minutes of the game. It's going to be carnage!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Kaktus*

I am surprised why Shelley did not kill Dubinsky on the ice.

Avery was going after Carle, Prust grabbed Powe, Shelley was suppose to pound Dubinsky. Just beat the living **** out of him. Why didn't he do that? Why waint to have a fair fight with Avery or Prust? **** him up.

Maybe Prust woudl think twice before hitting Timonen in the end of the game. Our enforcers looked soft in this one.

Very disappointing..

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-17-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:54 PM
NJGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Avery was going after Carle, Prust grabbed Powe, Shelley was suppose to pound Dubinsky. Just beat the living **** out of him. Why didn't he do that? Why waint to have a fair fight with Avery or Prust? **** him up.

Very disappointing..
Probably because Shelley follows the code and knows that Dubi wasn't trying to fight him. Avery has no such class.

NJGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:57 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post

Maybe Prust woudl think twice before hitting Timonen at the last seconds of the game. Our enforcers looked soft in this one.

Very disappointing..

It seemed to me that the Flyers were hesitant to retaliate because they were more concerned about winning the game. We play them again and I'm sure someone will fight Avery, Prust, and the rest of the players involved. Carcillo's tough act against Talbot didn't work very well so I think that taught our team a lesson. I'm sure Lavy told them to keep their cool. I would rather win the game at this point. I've had plenty of years of the Flyers acting tough but losing the game. Winning is more important.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:07 PM
DickTony

I'm taking the Bundy approach here. I don't care that Avery is "irrelevant" or not being talked about on the main boards. Either he takes a beatdown or Gaborik, Staal, and Dubinsky should be getting run every shift for the rest of the season. Hell, Dubinsky's punk ass should catch a beatdown too. I'm certainly happy with the victory yesterday, but I want blood on the ice. Why the **** else did we sign Jody Shelley? So he can make smart hockey plays? Get out of here, he was signed so teams don't **** around. Well, Senor Shelley, they ****ed around, so man up and prove why you're an improvement over Riley Cote next game and maybe justify why you make double what he did...

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
BrindamoursNose

I love Avery. It's horrible that I'm a Flyers fan and I say this, but look at the havoc he causes and he so far has gotten away with it.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGoalie View Post
Probably because Shelley follows the code and knows that Dubi wasn't trying to fight him. Avery has no such class.
Code?
Dubnsky jumped on his back. Both Calre and Powe getting punched in the face, Walker was pushed from behind by Newbury. Where is code?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-17-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
So I guess we're just going to pretend this isn't repercussions of last year's Carcillo/Gaborik incident. Right or wrong, we know how the Rangers felt about it, and Avery saw this as his chance to return the favor.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
So I guess we're just going to pretend this isn't repercussions of last year's Carcillo/Gaborik incident. Right or wrong, we know how the Rangers felt about it, and Avery saw this as his chance to return the favor.
Yeah but Carcillo didn't punch Gabby once he fell, even though he had oodles of time to do it.

Anyone notice that Avery quickly ran to the penalty box after his "fight" so no one else could get him?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
I'm okay with him going after Carle a little, but when Carle is down and you are doing your level best to pound his head into the ice (while the linesmen watch btw), that's when it just gets out of control.

Also, can't blame the Flyers for not retaliating more, if they aren't going to get a PP when the Rangers had TMM and Dubinsky was jumping people right and left, imagine what would have happened if someone had actually committed an infraction.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Mr Oysterhead

**** the Rangers.

If Avery was trying to get revenge for Gabby, he only perpetuated the cycle and it's gonna come back to bite them in the ass.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
It happens, that's their job as agitators. Doesn't mean that Avery doesn't move around with a target on his head.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
If it was anyone else I would agree, but Avery doesn't give a **** about anyone but himself. He's the last guy I would expect to see defending a teammate.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm okay with him going after Carle a little, but when Carle is down and you are doing your level best to pound his head into the ice (while the linesmen watch btw), that's when it just gets out of control.
Yeah, but if you're looking at it from their end, they were still looking for a way to get back at us, for it. Even though Gaborik dropped his gloves, Carcillo still put his hands on him, and that's not really cool, at least to other players. I bet Avery saw it as his chance to make us upset like they were last year.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote