HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Benn being used as bait?

Old
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankotopgun View Post
oh and imo unless they get new owner soon i dont see them signing richards and ribeiro will most likely become their 1st line C again so thats why i dont think they move ribeiro. plus thats another reason i dont think they mind if kaberle doesnt sign especially if they get a pick because they get the cap space back as well.
Not knowing if they can keep richards is also a good reason to keep benn.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Karlssonlee

Chris Neil + David Rundblad

for

Jamie Benn

I'm hesistant to do this deal because Rundblad has unreal potential, but I would think this is somewhat of a fair deal, but it doesn't help Dallas immediately lol, more of a offseason trade.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
really? a team who has a good shot at a deep playoff run trading for a PMD who has 29 points which is the same as what benn has.
A PMD who is soft, can't handle a Shane Doan rocker or the gritty WC playoff scene, doesn't want to leave Toronto and will go back to Toronto in the off-season, thus nullifying any kind of return for Benn, doesn't work for us. We're not giving up a skilled power-forward like Benn or Neal for a Downy-soft PMD who has a whopping 2 PIM this season. Thanks, but we have our Lady Byng candidate, and he puts up a lot of numbers to compensate for that.

Quote:
teams have definetly moved aggressively when it comes to cup dreams.
The ones that really did nothing major in terms of a trade ended up winning the cup- that's what statistics would indicate.

Quote:
i think if the leafs threw something in like a conditional pick with kaberle would be a decent trade. something similar to langs trade depending on how dallas does and if kaberle resigns.
We didn't give up a roster player for Langenbrunner. He's merely a depth addition to our roster and read my first argument as to why the conditional pick will be useless.

Quote:
however it would also pend on him remove NTC and going west coast which he said he didnt want to before.
Hence nullifying all arguments you made. He won't waive his NTC.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:38 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
really? a team who has a good shot at a deep playoff run trading for a PMD who has 29 points which is the same as what benn has. teams have definetly moved aggressively when it comes to cup dreams. i think if the leafs threw something in like a conditional pick with kaberle would be a decent trade. something similar to langs trade depending on how dallas does and if kaberle resigns. however it would also pend on him remove NTC and going west coast which he said he didnt want to before. TO would do well to chase benn as he could have potential to be 1st or 2nd line LW which is a toronto need.
Benn is a huge reason for the Stars having a shot at that playoff run. He's often one of our best players.

He's not out of place on the "third line" with Burish & Ott either. Yes, they're the "checking line" but they spend a ton of time in the attacking zone. Benn is good defensively and his offensive skill gives that line a great counterpunch. Besides, he can score whether or not he has a setup guy. I think he'll thrive with Burish & Ott and I think it will be good for him, long term.

And there's no way Dallas trades Benn or Eriksson unless they get an absolutely staggering return. Neal? Perhaps, but it would still have to be a huge return for Dallas.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Says he's looking for an offensive minded defenseman.
Right. If you looked a few posts lower, we talked of a Johnson for Benn deal. Of course, balancing said deal is where it could fail.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
birddog*

Does anybody here think that Joe's latest moves are mandated by the committee to sell the team? Seems initially the team was on the market for a while and everything was in a holding pattern. Now with the team playing well, and the recent acquisition of Langer, it seems the mandate has changed.

Seems as though ownership wants to make a push in the playoffs to generate some revenue and perhaps increase the sale value of the team.

Looking at it from an ownership perspective - something few fans do - you can see how ownership would like to get a sale done for a franchise that's been on the market a long time.

With no buyers coming forward maybe this is there attempt to generate some interest around the team. A nice run in the playoffs would create a buzz around the team and increase revenues significantly. With renewed interest and a team that generates revenue instead of losing you might see a new buyer come forward.

Leads me to believe that the biggest motivating factor with this team right now is the sale and attracting a potential buyer.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
TYayo

why doesn't Dallas just try and get Souray for nothing

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/dal110116.html

I can't see Dallas moving Benn who is showing signs of being a legitimate star for for years to come. For **** and giggles what could Benn bring in return?

**** Kaberle!
Please notice who the Fourth Period is citing for this horrendous idea. "According to the Edmonton Journal....."

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/dal110116.html

I can't see Dallas moving Benn who is showing signs of being a legitimate star for for years to come. For **** and giggles what could Benn bring in return?

**** Kaberle!
not sure but I think it's spelt Tomas for the life of me I can't figure out what you thought his first name was and why it would be censored, unless of course it's the nickname they sometimes use for Richard

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Here is the article TFP refers too:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...217/story.html

"folks in Dallas" is pretty vague. I just really doubt the team is shopping him. I would not be surprised if it was Neal though. Benn is one of the few guys on this team that plays in every situation. I don't think anyone would argue that he could easily fill in for Neal on the top line, and I believe he might actually fill that role better than Neal. I don't want to see either traded, but my money is on Neal getting moved before Benn.
Ahahaha, that article mentions nothing about shopping Benn. It mentions them potentially dangling Neal (which I could absolutely see given the right return) but not Benn. The only way I would want Neal traded is for a young defenseman on an affordable contract who has above-average puck-moving ability and is solid in his own end.

TFP is smoking crack if they think Benn (or Neal for that matter) would be flipped for Kaberle, and they're smoking even better stuff if they somehow got Benn being shopped out of that.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
A PMD who is soft, can't handle a Shane Doan rocker or the gritty WC playoff scene, doesn't want to leave Toronto and will go back to Toronto in the off-season, thus nullifying any kind of return for Benn, doesn't work for us. We're not giving up a skilled power-forward like Benn or Neal for a Downy-soft PMD who has a whopping 2 PIM this season. Thanks, but we have our Lady Byng candidate, and he puts up a lot of numbers to compensate for that.

Maybe you should watch the games before stating things like this. Kaberle is not soft, he just doesnt deck anybody. Hes a solid positional defenseman that wont deck anyone, but still plays the body very effectively. Hes got a great set of hands, and one of the better PMD's in the league. Hes an obvious player to be considered to Dallas for what he brings.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Well that was a good laugh.

A budget team that could very well lose Richards in the offseason contemplating moving a 21 year old winger barely scratching his true potential on ELC? What a joke.

I can see Neal + Niskanen being moved, but Benn I really doubt it. However, if Neiuwy is shopping Benn I can imagine the price tag being quite high.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Well that was a good laugh.

A budget team that could very well lose Richards in the offseason contemplating moving a 21 year old winger barely scratching his true potential on ELC? What a joke.

I can see Neal + Niskanen being moved, but Benn I really doubt it. However, if Neiuwy is shopping Benn I can imagine the price tag being quite high.
Something to consider strongly is the ownership situation. This team has been on the market a while with no buyer. The owner - the guy that makes the decisions - wants to move the club.

Put yourself in his shoes for a moment and I'm not suggesting Benn is the answer but I can see the stars making a push to attract a new buyer.

I'm in business and I have clients that want to do things all the time against better judgement - its always the quick fix - they don't want to endure long term solutions. They want to make money now. If your owner is handin down this mandate there's little you can do other than advise that long term you think its not best for the club. Then he says 'I don't care about long term I want to win today'.

Old
01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch154 View Post
Kaberle is not soft
Anyone with 2 PIMs in 40+ games is soft. I know Lidstrom doesn't take that many PIMs either, but c'mon...it's Lidstrom.

Quote:
Hes an obvious player to be considered to Dallas for what he brings.
Not for what you Laffs would want for him, and definitely not for the fact that he'll run home to daddy once the season ends. We've already been burned once by Willie Mitchell in that aspect. Shame on us if we repeat the mistake twice- especially with a Benn or Neal.

Last edited by StarsFan74: 01-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old
01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Maybe, but by the same token, Benn's on pace for 23 goals and maybe 55 points. That's not exactly 1st line.
He was playing on the 3rd line for half the season. He has 13pts in his last 13GP.

I bet they trade Neal before Benn.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Exactly!

Old
01-17-2011, 02:52 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Weber...
He's team captain thou, and the face of the franchise, i dunnno if itd happen, Suter would easily be your #1, and itd take less to get him

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
tankotopgun

I dont believe i bashed benn i think hes great and would have great potential to help the leafs. at the time benn is young and would be great for the stars down the road but he may always be a 3rd liner. soft or not kaberle puts up big points on D plays a decent defensive game and is a PP quarterback. by conditional pick i mean that if he resigns by certain date dallas would get different level of pick or if they made it to certain round of the playoffs the pick changes. i would say something like a 3rd rounder with posibility of a 2nd which would be higher than benn who was a 5th

tankotopgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
oilers9911

I'd give you tom Gilbert for Neal.

oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Does anybody here think that Joe's latest moves are mandated by the committee to sell the team? Seems initially the team was on the market for a while and everything was in a holding pattern. Now with the team playing well, and the recent acquisition of Langer, it seems the mandate has changed.

Seems as though ownership wants to make a push in the playoffs to generate some revenue and perhaps increase the sale value of the team.

Looking at it from an ownership perspective - something few fans do - you can see how ownership would like to get a sale done for a franchise that's been on the market a long time.

With no buyers coming forward maybe this is there attempt to generate some interest around the team. A nice run in the playoffs would create a buzz around the team and increase revenues significantly. With renewed interest and a team that generates revenue instead of losing you might see a new buyer come forward.

Leads me to believe that the biggest motivating factor with this team right now is the sale and attracting a potential buyer.
This has already been discussed on the Stars board. Yes, making the playoffs would be a huge to boost for the team and would be great for the creditors. Revenue from increased attendance and playoff games for be good for the creditors and a nice run in the post season would likely help attract buyers. However, trading Benn for a playoff push makes little sense. Benn is inexpensive and plays in every situation. If he is traded, the Stars would have a large whole to feel. Langenbrunner was brought in to round out the top 3 lines. Moving Benn now makes little sense.

Fly Like a C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers9911 View Post
I'd give you tom Gilbert for Neal.
That's very gracious of you, but I think I speak for everyone in Dallas when I pass on the offer.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't know what that report is based on, but it has to be wrong.
I followed the "report" to its "source" and it is what it appeared to be from the outset, idle speculation.

From the Edmonton Journal:
Quote:
By the time the playoffs roll around, Langenbrunner will be the Dallas Stars' second-line right-winger for his gritty game, with Brenden Morrow on the left side and slight playmaker Mike Ribeiro in the middle. Mind you, that shoves Jamie Benn down to the third line, and he's too good to play there. Many folks in Dallas think the Stars will dangle Neal for an offensive defenceman, figuring Benn can be a top-six player.
The Fourth Period referencing that little article and saying the Dallas could be dangling Benn is disingenuous at best. The last sentence is actually true but there's no reason to make that an in-season trade. As to the rest of it...in the least unexpected move since acquiring the player, Langebrunner has already been moved to Ribeiro's right side. It took all of one game before we started seeing that. Also, Benn moving down the lineup makes the team deeper and more well balanced. The Edmonton Journal should keep Matty's Short Shifts a little shorter yet and TFP should learn how to read.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:53 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
This has already been discussed on the Stars board. Yes, making the playoffs would be a huge to boost for the team and would be great for the creditors. Revenue from increased attendance and playoff games for be good for the creditors and a nice run in the post season would likely help attract buyers. However, trading Benn for a playoff push makes little sense. Benn is inexpensive and plays in every situation. If he is traded, the Stars would have a large whole to feel. Langenbrunner was brought in to round out the top 3 lines. Moving Benn now makes little sense.
It only makes sense to a motivated seller who feels moving Benn for a package of veterans will help push the Stars over the top for the playoff run. It obviously doesn't help in the future. But I'm not sure the creditors give a crap about the future - it's there job to bring in the highest possible return.

We'll see how this plays out in the next month. It may be just a carrot from Joe to get other GMs to start ringing his phone. Or might be more made up BS from the internet which is about 99% likely.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
ponder

Dallas should really be looking at Benn, Eriksson and Neal as untouchables, all 3 are damn good young wingers that are great pieces to build around.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
What does Dallas need ?
Nothing worth giving up Benn for. I can't even begin to understand why Stars fans are entertaining the notion. Despite the obvious upside and current production, his current salary makes him absolutely untouchable; the production for his pricetag is through the roof. Beyond that trading the future captain makes zero sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Dallas should really be looking at Benn, Eriksson and Neal as untouchables, all 3 are damn good young wingers that are great pieces to build around.
Benn and Eriksson are. Neal would probably be available for the right return. Watch all three game in, game out and this is a fair conclusion to arrive at.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote