HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gaborik confident he will snap out of goal-scoring slump

Old
01-17-2011, 08:59 AM
Rangers44*

vCash: 500
I think Gaborik needs to have faith in his teammates playmaking ability and go to scoring areas and wait for a pass instead of going out of the scoring area to receive a pass.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

There's no reason to trade Gaborik.

But they need to get him motivated.

Gaborik said it himself last night between periods that he needs to start moving his legs more. That means exactly what I've been saying. He hasn't been skating hard. That's a lack of effort.

When Gaborik is at his best he gets in on the forecheck, digs for pucks, shields the puck, moves around the offensive zone getting open. And shoots the puck.

He's been standing still in the offensive zone, he hasn't been fighting for the puck.

After he got benched he responded well. He came out inspired.

Hopefully it was a wake up call, that has some sustained effects. Otherwise it'll probably happen again.

Again, he needs to put forth an honest 100% effort.

That means skating hard, with purpose. Digging for the puck. Moving around. Shooting. Body language. Exerting himself. Intensity.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yes, there is a team identity, and everyone on the team is expected to put forth a full effort on every shift. The team lives and dies by its philosophy.

Gaborik is not special. And deserves no special treatment based on past accomplishments.

He's also not immune to criticism. He's earning over 7 million dollars per year, and is expected to be the elite player he's being paid as, game in and game out. Even on one of the most simplistic aspects of the game. The only thing any player has control of. And that's effort.

Its not OK for a player to float and not show up to big games because "that's his game".

And the "shoulder not 100%" excuse holds no weight. EVERY player in the league is banged up mid-season. Every one of them. And it doesn't stop the majority of them from showing up and giving a full effort to the best of their ability.

You're defending Gaborik in the same way others were defending Zherdev. Except you were against Zherdev and any of the posters who were defending him.
Zherdev couldnt hold Gaborik's jockstrap, and its really not even worth getting into the rest of that.

The best thing you can do is bank on Gaborik's talent re-emerging, because I dont know where else we're going to get a threat anywhere near that. Even if hes banged up, just in a prolonged slump, or has completely lost it, he still demands attention and respect on the ice.

God help us if the oppositions top defensive resources are shifted to a secondary bunch that cant score as it is lately.

Also, its about time Tortorella gets Gaborik some linemates that can create space.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:51 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...for the record, as many clips as he's got on youtube, I never wanted him here. This is why.
Remember how Zherdev was that last playoff series here....well, that's about as much as I expect outta good ol' Flake#10

Last night? 2 shots all game and Pronger wasn't even out there!!!! Wait til he is.

It'd be like Philly saying, we need an elite goalie...let's go after DiPietro.
DP? Not available? OK. Have his agent call when he checks out of the hospital.

I'm down for trading for Richards or Iginla. At least they ain't half the POOS Gaborik is.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Stepanformayor*

Hey Bleedranger, why is it always about Gabby. I think Dubi, Step, Boyle and Zuch are finding ways to help this team win. I have been saying all year that Gabby is a overrated, overpaid player. He is curretly 148th in scoring. That is a joke for a guy that makes 7 million a year. I said yesterday on this board that Torts needs to sit his a.. on the bench. He is not above the team, and for you to say they need to find him linemates is a joke. They have tried every combo they can to get him going and nothing has worked. This is not the first time that a coach has been fed up with his play. I don't want to hear that the Rangers don't have anyone good enough for him either. He is not even a top 30 forward in the NHL. The guys overrrated and overpaid.

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Zherdev couldnt hold Gaborik's jockstrap, and its really not even worth getting into the rest of that.

The best thing you can do is bank on Gaborik's talent re-emerging, because I dont know where else we're going to get a threat anywhere near that. Even if hes banged up, just in a prolonged slump, or has completely lost it, he still demands attention and respect on the ice.

God help us if the oppositions top defensive resources are shifted to a secondary bunch that cant score as it is lately.

Also, its about time Tortorella gets Gaborik some linemates that can create space.

I completely agree with that, his talent and ability hasn't left him, not at all. This isn't the beginning of Gaborik's decline.

That's the point.

He needs to exert himself on a more consistent basis so that his skill comes out.

He just hasn't this season.

If he's too banged up to do it, doesn't have the confidence to do it, then he needs to take a step back and come out of the lineup for a game or two and watch some video, and work with the coaching staff, and figure it out.

I believe its 100% mental at this point.

When he got benched, he responded. So maybe that's what needs to happen to get his motivation going.

The only thing anyone really asks of any player is effort. The other things like goals, will come eventually if a player as skilled as Gaborik is working hard.

Stamkos hit a slump. But I'd be willing to bet he hasn't been floating around waiting for things to happen. He's probably working harder to get it back.

There's nothing wrong with asking for an effort from Gaborik.

If that's not his way, he better make it his way, because he's under the wrong coaching staff if he thinks he can get by on skill alone.

And while Zherdev isn't on the same echelon, he's an example of that. And a guy like Callahan phased him out.

I'm not implying anyone will phase him out. But he did get benched in favor of Prust and Boyle...and that speaks volumes about his play, and what Tortorella feels of his play/effort of late.

I haven't given up on him. But the guy needs to be a man and step up. This is his profession, his livelyhood, the thing he's dedicated his life too. Take some pride.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:22 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Hey Bleedranger, why is it always about Gabby. I think Dubi, Step, Boyle and Zuch are finding ways to help this team win. I have been saying all year that Gabby is a overrated, overpaid player. He is curretly 148th in scoring. That is a joke for a guy that makes 7 million a year. I said yesterday on this board that Torts needs to sit his a.. on the bench. He is not above the team, and for you to say they need to find him linemates is a joke. They have tried every combo they can to get him going and nothing has worked. This is not the first time that a coach has been fed up with his play. I don't want to hear that the Rangers don't have anyone good enough for him either. He is not even a top 30 forward in the NHL. The guys overrrated and overpaid.
Not a top 30 FORWARD in the NHL? Since you based your argument on points lets look at last season, Gaborik was 10th in the NHL in scoring with 86 points in 76 games. Doing a little math that would be about 93 pts over 82 games, good enough to put him 7th in the NHL (2 points shy of 5th).

Also, the next closest point total on the Rangers was Vinny Prospal with 58 points. After that is Dubi with 44 (almost half of Gabby). Gabby earned those points last year.

Saying its a joke that hes paid 7 mil is absurd, he has produced 110 points in 109 games as a Ranger. The guy is 28 years old and is going through a minor slump, he is a streaky player, once he gets hot we will forget about this slump.

This season is far from over. I guess its another case of what have you done for me lately?

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I blame Chris Drury.

01-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Ke11y96

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I blame Chris Drury.
Hahah yes! Finally someone gives us an honest reason! 

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:46 AM
OverTheCap

I still think Gaborik is playing not to get injured. He stands around in the offensive zone, hovers around the perimeter, and on the occasion that he does drive to the net, he darts straight to the corners to avoid physical contact. Gaborik usually does not play hurt, remember last season right after the Olympics when he missed a few games? If he is really hurting so badly I think he would sit out a few games, he's extra cautious due to his injury history.

With injury-prone players, their issues aren't just physical but mental as well. It's clear Gabby's confidence is shaken and he looks like he's playing scared at times. This is a hump he'll need to get over if he wants to find his game again.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:29 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

This isn't just a slumping player.

A slumping Gaborik, healthy should put up 60-70 points a year, b/c a healthy Gaborik should usually put up 100 - (last yr he wasn't always healthy)

If you don't include his 7 points over 2 games, he is on pace for a 43 point season.

That is dreadful.
Something is either wrong physically - or he will be Drury in 2 years.

Honestly, Frolov had more of an impact on the game than he did... at least Frolov tried and Forechecked...

ChrisKreider20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I blame Chris Drury.
I can't disagree with that.

Wraparounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:41 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Gaborik can really help the Rangers from hitting an extended slide here. I was thinking to myself before the Philly game, if he doesn't come out flying hes gonna get benched. I could feel it. I completely agree with Torts benching him.

He sent a message and still managed to get him out there for 12+ min. so he did it the right way. But its warranted. Gabby is just waiting for himself to come out of the slump instead of doing more to force the issue.

Hes got to get himself into better scoring areas and play a harder game. I'm hoping he catches fire going into the playoffs but if he continues at this rate the Rangers might have a problem getting in with the lack of his production.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Gaborik can really help the Rangers from hitting an extended slide here. I was thinking to myself before the Philly game, if he doesn't come out flying hes gonna get benched. I could feel it. I completely agree with Torts benching him.

He sent a message and still managed to get him out there for 12+ min. so he did it the right way. But its warranted. Gabby is just waiting for himself to come out of the slump instead of doing more to force the issue.

Hes got to get himself into better scoring areas and play a harder game. I'm hoping he catches fire going into the playoffs but if he continues at this rate the Rangers might have a problem getting in with the lack of his production.
Gaborik had a few shifts in the third where he really came out flying. He looked like the Gaborik of last year. We need him to turn those jets on for 60 minutes a night though.

Wraparounds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:21 PM
haveandare

As much as I'm a fan of Torts I can't help but wonder what he and the rest of the coaches are doing with Gaborik. Show him his game - show him where he is being passive and should be active. Tell him that if he won't go out there and play an aggressive offensive game other people will take his minutes and do it themselves. It seems impossible that they wouldn't be doing this already but it seems equally impossible that they're taking pains to show him and he's just not following their direction.

The whole thing is a mess at this point. I don't want to hear anymore talk from him. Show me that you care. We all know that its hard to score and a hot goalie is sometimes unbeatable but TRY. He's had games where he looked good and was all over the ice. He knows what he has to do - everybody knows what he has to do. As much as Crosby makes me want to puke when things go bad for him he dedicates himself to working on his weakness. You see video of him late at practice working on deflections and the next day he gets 2 goals that way. If you want to be one of the best you have to work harder than everyone else. It doesn't look to me like Gaborik is doing that right now. Work on the shot more. Work on the skating more. Go the extra mile - at least then you can say you're giving it all you've got. I'd be a lot more willing to wait for him to break out if it looked like he was trying harder than ever.\

By the way, I'm frustrated with the guy, but all of this trade him talk is absolutely ridiculous. He deserves better than that from all fans of the franchise.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-17-2011 at 02:53 PM.
haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
This isn't just a slumping player.

That is dreadful.
I'd have to agree with this. Something beyond a mere slump is would seem to be happening.

At his presser, Torts appeared to be coming a bit unhinged over it.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Gaborik only seems involved on every few shifts. He takes some off and doesn't seem like he's willing to go into corners and go after pucks. He also seem more hesitant taking shots this year. But we knew coming in this is the type of player that he is he scores goals in bunches.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
As much as I'm a fan of Torts I can't help but wonder what he and the rest of the coaches are doing with Gaborik. Show him his game - show him where he is being passive and should be active. Tell him that if he won't go out there and play an aggressive offensive game other people will take his minutes and do it themselves. It seems impossible that they wouldn't be doing this already but it seems equally impossible that they're taking pains to show him and he's just not following their direction.

The whole thing is a mess at this point. I don't want to hear anymore talk from him. Show me that you care. We all know that its hard to score and a hot goalie is sometimes unbeatable but TRY. He's had games where he looked good and was all over the ice. He knows what he has to do - everybody knows what he has to do. As much as Crosby makes me want to puke when things go bad for him he dedicates himself to working on his weakness. You see video of him late at practice working on deflections and the next day he gets 2 goals that way. If you want to be one of the best you have to work harder than everyone else. It doesn't look to me like Gaborik is doing that right now. Work on the shot more. Work on the skating more. Go the extra mile - at least then you can say you're giving it all you've got. I'd be a lot more willing to wait for him to break out if it looked like he was trying harder than ever.\

By the way, I'm frustrated with the guy, but all of this trade him talk is absolutely ridiculous. He deserves better than that from all fans of the franchise.
I dont see how this is a mess, its up to him to play through it. He just needs to do what hes payed to do - score.

Agree you have to work harder. There is little evidence of that that we the fans can actually see though.

Old
01-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Guess who has the same amount of goals as gaborik. Yep its PA Parenteau lmao.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
NYRKindms

Gaborik is just not involved for whatever reason.

He hasn't been able to get anything going. That was why liek 3 or 4 games ago when he started doing shoulder fakes and one on one moves that I thought WOW where did that come from. How come he isn't doing that all the time because he just deeked the hell out of the defenseman.

When he is involved, trying to get his game going he does stuff like that and it works. He did it for like a shift or 2 and that was that.

He tries the quick 2 or 3 strides to get around guys and it isn't working this year and then he just gives up or gives the puck away. What is frustrating as hell is that you see the "potential" in a few shifts and start yelling at the TV "keep doing that" and then he disappears again.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:34 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont see how this is a mess, its up to him to play through it. He just needs to do what hes payed to do - score.

Agree you have to work harder. There is little evidence of that that we the fans can actually see though.
This is true. I assume that if he was hanging around after practice or going all out during or something like that the beat writers would be all over it. I very well could be wrong in that assumption though.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-17-2011 at 05:08 PM.
haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
This is true. I assume that if he was hanging around after practice or going all out during or something like that the beat writers would be all over it. I very well could be wrong in that assumption though.
I think if he was staying after we would hear about it from somewhere, thats true also.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Jim Morrison

He'll be fine. I truly believe that.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
He'll be fine. I truly believe that.
I think most feel the same way. But to see him play the way he did against Carolina and then not show up for games is tough. It has to be a total mind @#$% to be this snake bitten, but that's why they pay you the big bucks.

What bothers me is his level of effort from game to game. It's just not any where consistent enough.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Blueblood 2

Whenever male behavior can't be figured out, there is a female involved! Torts has to figure out if it's too little or too much lovin' and arrange for the needed motivation. It doesn't count against the cap!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote