HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere and Hartnell in trouble with Campbell?

Old
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
If you can catch him working the boards, or heading up ice with your head down, skating doesn't really come into it. Say if he was battling the puck on the boards, i wouldn't be too gutted if shelley came around and smashed his face in.

I really can't stand that guy. Lets face it, we are not going to miss shelley on the team if he's in the box
Yes, but we don't need to be killing a penalty.

And skating is always a big factor in throwing a hit... both generating speed, and catching the guy in the right spot.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:11 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

**** off campbell....you're such a POS

what about avery going after carle and punching him a few times when he was already on the ice?oh no, cant do anything to avery!

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
**** off campbell....you're such a POS

what about avery going after carle and punching him a few times when he was already on the ice?oh no, cant do anything to avery!
Well, what Avery did was in poor taste... but fighting is part of the game. There is a specific rule (with good reason) against the bench getting involved with what is going on out on the ice.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
We see this all the time. It's a "code violation," nothing more. Besides, Avery never lived up to any type of honorable code before so he's not going to start with the Flyers. Agree though, it was pretty cheap.
so are sucker punches, yet Carcillo, Shelley and others have been suspended for them

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
so are sucker punches, yet Carcillo, Shelley and others have been suspended for them
The Carcillo suspension was BS... as Bradley essentially admitted it was his own fault for being slow on the draw there. There is a difference, however, between what Shelley did and what Avery did.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Carcillo suspension was BS... as Bradley essentially admitted it was his own fault for being slow on the draw there. There is a difference, however, between what Shelley did and what Avery did.
From Carle's quotes, it seems like he was not willing to fight at all.

OT: Did you notice that Carle got 2 points each 10 seconds after a PP while still pretty much set up in a PP? He can't buy a PP point hahaha

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
From Carle's quotes, it seems like he was not willing to fight at all.

OT: Did you notice that Carle got 2 points each 10 seconds after a PP while still pretty much set up in a PP? He can't buy a PP point hahaha
Yep, made me laugh. The shot for Carter's deflection was a very nice play in particular.

Old
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u2* View Post
That type of things happen alot.......most of it just never caught on tape though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I'm of the belief that this is suspension worthy. At least a game each, you're sending the wrong message to players with a small fine. If I were an NHL'er I'd have no trouble and would gladly pay 1000 bucks to get a free shot at someone from the bench.
One or both may get a game as players caught doing stuff from the bench usually get a game.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Did anyone read Cachardi's open letter to campbell in the Inky yesterday?
Pretty funny.

His bias really comes in to focus when you consider that Cooke didn't get a suspension for his hit on Savard.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Yes, but we don't need to be killing a penalty.

And skating is always a big factor in throwing a hit... both generating speed, and catching the guy in the right spot.
It depends how bad it is. If it's a 2 minute penalty, the flyers are going to kill it 10 times outta 10. They know exactly why he's done it too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
You realize there is no hard and fast rule regarding suspension regardless of what you want to talk about, right?
Even automatic suspensions can be rescinded at Campbell's discretion. A ****ing joke if I've ever heard one.
Quote:
Well, what Avery did was in poor taste... but fighting is part of the game. There is a specific rule (with good reason) against the bench getting involved with what is going on out on the ice.
Fighting's not really a part of hockey, though, hence the fighting major (among other penalties intended to reduce the frequency of fights). It's something that happens on a semi-regular basis, but only because players, fans, and coaches refuse to let it go to the wayside. As far as the rule book's concerned, it's as illegal a play as burying your stick into someone's mouth, or putting them through the boards neck first.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
From Timmy:

Quote:
Hartnell/Briere punches from the bench: NHL called the Flyers but no formal hearing. I bet fines, not suspensions, if anything.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Even automatic suspensions can be rescinded at Campbell's discretion. A ****ing joke if I've ever heard one.Fighting's not really a part of hockey, though, hence the fighting major (among other penalties intended to reduce the frequency of fights). It's something that happens on a semi-regular basis, but only because players, fans, and coaches refuse to let it go to the wayside. As far as the rule book's concerned, it's as illegal a play as burying your stick into someone's mouth, or putting them through the boards neck first.
Fighting is absolutely a part of hockey. A fight is given a very minor penalty (5 minutes) versus potentially season long suspensions in other sports.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Subject Orange

2 minutes for being Danny Briere
2 minutes for skating on a line with Scott Hartnell
10 minute game misconduct for wearing orange...

Same **** different day. **** off Campbell.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Fighting is absolutely a part of hockey. A fight is given a very minor penalty (5 minutes) versus potentially season long suspensions in other sports.
I don't really see how fighting figures into "hockey". It's an illegal play 10 times out of 10, and will earn a player a minimum of 5 minutes in the box.
Quote:
Summary of Major Penalties
(i) Boarding
(ii) Butt-ending
(iii) Charging
(iv) Checking from behind
(v) Clipping
(vi) Cross-checking
(vii) Elbowing
(viii) Fighting
(ix) Head-butting
(x) Hooking
(xi) Illegal Check to the Head
(xii) Interference
(xiii) Kneeing
(xiv) Slashing
(xv) Spearing
If Avery thinks he's cute, jumping Carle like that, and the referees don't want to call it for what it is, that's cool. I don't want my guys sitting for 5, anyways, or risking a minor against. What I do want is Shelley out there running around like the 800 pound gorilla he is, and I want the Rangers to know they precipitated the fallout the moment they got away from playing "hockey". That's just my opinion, though. The dude abides (by the rules).

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
You realize there is no hard and fast rule regarding suspension regardless of what you want to talk about, right?
Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making. There NEEDS to be some sort of rule. Either a rule that says we will look at each case individually and see the severity of the actions or results or a rule that is more of a strict liability deal where if you do it, the penalty is X and it doesn't matter the circumstances. In cases like this I think it would be better to say case by case and take into account the actions and results, same thing with head shots. I'm sure Ranger fans are crying about this and wanting a suspension just like Penguin fans are crying about Steckel colliding with Crosby. Since there is no real rule that says either way (that I am aware of...I could very well be wrong), there needs to be some clarity.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
I don't really see how fighting figures into "hockey". It's an illegal play 10 times out of 10, and will earn a player a minimum of 5 minutes in the box.
It can earn jail time in other sports. It's within the limits of what is to be encountered on the field of play. Is it penalized? Of course. Is it penalized harshly or discouraged in any meaningful way? Not a chance.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Colin Campbell's favorite player, Danny Briere, was fined for throwing a punch from the bench on Sun. Hartnell escaped discipline
Quote:
Prust also escaped discipline, an NHL spokesman told The Inquirer. #Flyers
Quote:
The NHL this yr has suspended #Flyers' Briere for 3 games (costing him almost $238,000), snubbed him from a.s. game, and fined him $1,000.
Quote:
Danny Briere, who is one of the most cordial players in the NHL, will not be inviting Colin Campbell to any summer cookouts.

-Sam Car

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
-Sam Car
Lame.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
ORYX

Quote:
I don't really see how fighting figures into "hockey". It's an illegal play 10 times out of 10, and will earn a player a minimum of 5 minutes in the box.If Avery thinks he's cute, jumping Carle like that, and the referees don't want to call it for what it is, that's cool. I don't want my guys sitting for 5, anyways, or risking a minor against. What I do want is Shelley out there running around like the 800 pound gorilla he is, and I want the Rangers to know they precipitated the fallout the moment they got away from playing "hockey". That's just my opinion, though. The dude abides (by the rules).

You are in the severe minority if you don't think fighting is a part of the game. You may not like it as part of the game and of course are entitled to that opinion, but fighting has been a part of the game since its creation as a sport. In other leagues fighting was never part of the culture, where as in hockey it has been from day 1.

Just because you are penalized for it to minimize its frequency does not exclude it from the being part of the game as penalties, powerplays and PK's are part of the game. They have a 5 minute penalty rule because if there wasnt a rule for it people would fight left right and center and the league would be UFC on Ice.

Plus, unlike many of those other majors, fighting isn't a major that results due to a lack of respect for the opponent, such as hitting from behind, boarding etc. Sure players will fight each other because they hate each other, hate the hit a guy laid on another player, will occassionally sucker punch etc (And I will agree sucker punching isnt part of the game) but a good ol' toe to toe fight, who doesnt love that?

You often see players tap eachother after, shake hands, head nod etc after a fight as a sigh of mutual respect, you dont see that after a hit from behind, cross check to the face, high stick etc do you?

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lame.
Can't wait for the next game against the Rangers now.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Hartnell gets nothing?

ok.

edit: that's seriously all I have for that. That makes zero sense.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hartnell gets nothing?

ok.

edit: that's seriously all I have for that. That makes zero sense.
Briere is likely getting something because of his previous trouble earlier. Nothing more.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yeah, but it's not like Hartnell is renowned for his clean play, although he has been better this season.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, but it's not like Hartnell is renowned for his clean play, although he has been better this season.
Exactly. Same reason with Prust. I don't think he's done anything serious all season either.