HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Beer and Nightlife Thread v3

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
If the hotel is near Chatham University, you should be in good shape. Squirrel Hill is very close by and has good pizza shops, coffee shops, and relaxed bars. I don't know much about New Year's Eve and where to go/what's open, though.
Indeed. Squirrel Hill is a pretty nice place for such an occasion and Chatham is right there. If you're looking for family friendly avoid the South Side at all costs.

Things have changed too much since I've been there to suggest individual places though.

Also I could use some hints. Whilst I was in Denmark my dad moved. I was only in town for a week or so after, and I spent most of that time at my sister's place in Robinson. I literally have no idea what's around where I'll be spending a month coming up, spending most of it in Greentree where my dad now lives. Most of the nights I go out will still be in the South Side, but is there anything near Greentree Rd I should be aware of? Also, most importantly, beer distributors...a concept I still haven't fully grasped.

I still have only been to one beer distributor in my life...and that was in Bethel Park...where the darkest beer they had available was Yuengling. I hate the entire concept of having to buy beer in cases instead of six packs...but I'd like to get some Troegs if possible to do so without bleeding my budget too much.

I'll be missing being able to pick up Deschutes and Bayern six packs at the gas station for $6 pretty soon

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 12-10-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old
12-12-2010, 08:27 AM
WVP

vCash: 500
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_713316.html

WTF! Looks like I have to give up on Penn for the second and probably final time.

Quote:
Tom Pastorius -- who founded and later salvaged the historic Penn Brewery in Troy Hill -- is out.

"I always thought I worked well with all the partners, and they totally ambushed and betrayed me," said Pastorius, 67, of Sewickley. "I've not been involved in the management or operations of the company since the end of August."
Quote:
But beer-brewing passions boiled over between the new owners and led to the confrontation that allegedly injured Pastorius, who did not seek hospitalization or police help.

Tensions between Linda Nyman and Pastorius over the restaurant began almost immediately. The lawsuit, filed in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court, claims that on May 20, after he warned Linda Nyman to limit herself to marketing duties, she called her husband and said Pastorius threatened her.

Stuart Nyman soon came to the brewery to confront Pastorius, "violently hit him on the shoulder, grabbed him and dragged him across the floor," before other employees intervened to break it up, the lawsuit claims.

Old
12-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Thanks for your answers guys! I'll look into the other thread also.

By the way, I looked into it, and the hotel is actually the Holiday Inn next to the University of Pittsburgh (had the wrong Uni the first time around).

How's the neighborhood?

Old
12-16-2010, 01:52 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I need me some beer suggestions for tomorrow night fellas. Preferably something strong, and or hoppy that's drinkable out of a can or bottle preferably. I'll be at the gf's place tomorrow night so I won't have any of my special beer cups with me.

Am thinking of just going the usual "cans of Heineken" route, but I want to hopefully try something differant and stronger.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:13 AM
infinitesadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I need me some beer suggestions for tomorrow night fellas. Preferably something strong, and or hoppy that's drinkable out of a can or bottle preferably. I'll be at the gf's place tomorrow night so I won't have any of my special beer cups with me.

Am thinking of just going the usual "cans of Heineken" route, but I want to hopefully try something differant and stronger.
Dale's Pale Ale. Comes in cans and pretty damn good.

Old
12-17-2010, 08:33 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Hey guys, just dropping by to give an update after talking with some of the people I'm hoping to work with earlier this week. From what I've gathered they seem more interested in opening a bottle shop then a microbrewery at this point. Either way I'm alright with the plans, they just see it as less of a risk then the microbrewery/brewpub option and I don't exactly have the finances for a solo venture. They're definitely interested in getting the other option going within a 2-4 year time frame if the bottle shop is doing well.

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

Old
12-17-2010, 08:41 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
There isn't one Sam Adams beer that I have really liked.
The only ones I can recall that I've liked have been the Octoberfest and the Blackberry Witbier. In the case of the Octoberfest, there are better out there readily available. Foothills here in NC is cheaper and better, probably would rate it as one of the best I've ever had in the style. The Blackberry Witbier on the other hand was kindof unique but that even took a couple bottles before I really got into it. And even then, it's not something I would rate extremely high, it's just good as a change of pace every now and then.

Old
12-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Mr. T

The Holiday Ale Festival was great (as always). The limited release highlights were the 2006 Mirror Mirror from Deschutes and the 2008 Ten Fidy from Oskar Blues.

Regular beer that was great was the Jewbelation blend from Shmaltz and Bockus from Double Mountain.

The one that amazed me was Figgy Pudding from Block 15 (a small brewpub in Corvallis). It was like Christmas dessert in beer form. mmmm...

Here's the lineup for anyone who's interested.

http://holidayale.com/mitem-2010-beer-lists/standard-release.html

Old
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

"Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier" is awesome. It's probably now my favourite brand of wheat beer next to Hacker-Pschorr. I drank quite a few Weihenstephaner's last Friday night, they were absolutely delicious.

I urge all lovers of Hefeweizen beers to give Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier a try. It's great stuff.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:16 AM
WVP

Quote:
"Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier" is awesome. It's probably now my favourite brand of wheat beer next to Hacker-Pschorr. I drank quite a few Weihenstephaner's last Friday night, they were absolutely delicious.

I urge all lovers of Hefeweizen beers to give Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier a try. It's great stuff.
Haven't tried it but it's supposed to be the best of that style.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Haven't tried it but it's supposed to be the best of that style.
If that's the case, then yes it definately lives up to it's hype. Well IMO anyways.

Old
12-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

I bought a case of Great Lakes' Nosferatu Stock Ale. Its okay, but its super hoppy, and I'm not huge on hoppy beers.

But this being the retarded commonwealth of Pennsylvania I have 23 more of them to go...instead of the usual 3 more that would normally come in a pack of it (its a 4-pack seasonal). Bah.

To say nothing that the 'best by' date on the bottle is already past.

Old
12-31-2010, 03:39 PM
OnionGravy

Hey guys, know if anywhere good to go for NYE tonight? Was originally planning on staying close to my hotel in Oakland, but it cant really find much info about where is good to go. Is that First Night thing any good, because it sounds a bit too tame/family orientated for me.

Old
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionGravy View Post
Hey guys, know if anywhere good to go for NYE tonight? Was originally planning on staying close to my hotel in Oakland, but it cant really find much info about where is good to go. Is that First Night thing any good, because it sounds a bit too tame/family orientated for me.
To do what? If you're young and looking to get smashed, head to Carson St.

Old
12-31-2010, 05:52 PM
OnionGravy

Quote:
To do what? If you're young and looking to get smashed, head to Carson St.
Cheers man, yeah young and looking for a few drinks, was thinking more local though because I am running low on cash (spent a bit too much today at Heinz Field), and dont have an American mobile to ring up a taxi. Just had a quick google sesh, does anyone know if Peter's Pub is any good? Its just round the corner from me.

Old
01-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Welp since I'm planning on sleeping in til whenever tomorrow and plan on watching football and hockey all day, I figured this would be good opportunity to grab some new brews to try. Didn't get a whole lot but I wanted to try out some new stouts. Since I'm almost addicted to Rouge's Chocolate Stout I figured I'd tryout their Shakespeare/Oatmeal stout, I don't even know if I've ever had an oatmeal stout before (though it seems like everyone brews one) to be honest but I remember hearing good things about it here and other places as well. Then I finally saw a bottle of DFH Worldwide Stout on the shelves, even though $8.50 for one 12 fl oz bottle seems ridiculous, it was just calling me. I figured I should probably grab it while I still had the chance because one would end up in my hands sooner or later. Though I'm not sure about it's quality just yet, I'm sure it's there, I'll be getting my moneys worth in alcohol content, 18% ABV? jeez...

So I was content with just that, since I'm still loaded with all kinds of other stuff from the holidays, and went to checkout and what do you know. They had a whole bunch of Troegs Nugget Nectar stack right beside the register I was checking out from and grab a six-pack of it right there as I was checking out. And am enjoying one of them right now. Great taste, kind of fruity but loaded with a strong amount of hops and malts so it's not so overwhelming. I'll be enjoying this stuff as long as I can.

Old
01-15-2011, 09:25 AM
WVP

Yeah, I think this year's NN is coming out around now. Seems early but that's a good thing. One of the East Coast's best beers. And GoGuins, Shakespeare is another good one from Rogue.

Was drinking Mad Elk and Ommegang's winter release last night.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Yeah I wasn't expecting Nugget Nectar to be out for at least another month. It seems like a beer you'd enjoy more just as it's starting to warm up outside. I'm still in the mood for winter ales and stouts but I'm glad I finally got to try it.

I really enjoyed the Worldwide Stout, but it's not worth it's price imo, but it'll definitely mess you up. Shakespeare Stout was good too, but I don't really see it as something I'd regularly drink.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Crap, Nugget Nectar is out early? This would be my one chance to actually get a hold of it...but my schedule is so busy leading up to my return to Montana that I won't have a chance. Bah!

I only got to have 'good' beers twice in my month back in PA...went to the Sharp Edge with a friend a couple weeks ago and had nothing but Belgian beers and then a bar in Scranton, where I had a couple Victory beers (nice and all, but I'm not a huge fan of hoppy beers...Hop Devil may be the best beer I've ever not really enjoyed though...if that makes any sort of sense).

I am looking forward to getting back to the northwestern beers soon though. Big Sky released Cowboy Coffee in bottles this year and its their best beer I've had, in my opinion. They've only done a couple batches of it before, all tasting room only. My roommate also turned 21 over break and, as an Oregonian, celebrated by hitting all the big breweries in Oregon. He's supposed to bring me back a good bit of beer...we'll just see if he actually did it.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:14 PM
DJ Spinoza

I still haven't seen Nugget Nectar in Pittsburgh, or indications that its coming soon, but it's still a little early (I believe its out, but sometimes it takes a little bit to trickle here).

Old
01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes Climacus View Post
I still haven't seen Nugget Nectar in Pittsburgh, or indications that its coming soon, but it's still a little early (I believe its out, but sometimes it takes a little bit to trickle here).
Yeah, I'm located up near State College so it's a good bit closer to Harrisburg. It looked as if they had just stacked it and I got the first pack too when I bought it Friday. So maybe another week or so it'll be down there.

Old
01-19-2011, 07:53 AM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
This is kind of OT for this board, but I thought I'd ask you guys for some help. I'm a musician, lived in Pittsburgh up until two years ago and live in Los Angeles now. Still follow every Pens game and still keep up with these boards regularly.

I'm working my way as a songwriter here in LA and am nominated by a music magazine as one of LA's emerging artists of the year. I need votes, so I'm asking everyone I know. Could you guys help? If you want, here's what you do..

1) go to la.thedelimagazine.com/snacks
2) scroll down and vote for "Patrick Joseph"

That's it! No sign ups or anything.

I miss playing around in the South Side and whatever venues are still left in Pittsburgh. Where do you guys go to see a good band nowadays? It's been a good two years since I've been to a venue there.

Old
01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
WVP

Damn dude, pretty cool. Glad things have been going well.

You playing any hockey over there?

Old
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
PJT

Send a message via AIM to PJT
Quote:
Damn dude, pretty cool. Glad things have been going well.

You playing any hockey over there?
Of course, can't live without it. Great to hear from you. I've been captain of a team in Burbank for about a year now and we've won 5 Championships in 3 different divisions over that time, so things are going well hockey-wise too. Ice is so damn expensive here though, it's a shame.

Old
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Drank a 6 pack of Samuel Adams Boston Lager last night. It was my first time finally trying the stuff and I must say it was very delicious. Just wish it were stronger in terms of alcohol content though.

Closed Thread