HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2003, 04:46 PM
Garry Valk

vCash: 500
Comrie

All indications are that Comrie is going to be dealt, and that Lowe has been talking to at least a few teams. Anyone heard anything regarding the Habs re: Comrie?

Old
10-07-2003, 03:17 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk
All indications are that Comrie is going to be dealt, and that Lowe has been talking to at least a few teams. Anyone heard anything regarding the Habs re: Comrie?
He'll probably end up playing for the Rangers...

(just a gut-feeling... no facts )

All-Star

Old
10-07-2003, 04:15 AM
Habber

We don't want Comrie anyway. He's small and bad defensively. And reports from Edmonton seem to indicate he's not a team guy and disruptive in the lockerroom.

Old
10-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
We don't want Comrie anyway. He's small and bad defensively. And reports from Edmonton seem to indicate he's not a team guy and disruptive in the lockerroom.
True. People get carried away because he can score. So what. Czerkawski could do that at some point also. But he's never been an important part of any team. Comrie can score, but is small, horrible in his own zone, and spoiled/selfish have been words that stuck to him since he's been in Edmonton.

Old
10-07-2003, 06:01 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I agree.

Although his scoring ability is a definite plus, he is exactly what we have too many of already, small one-dimensional players.

not only that, Edmonton would most definitely be wanting a huge return for him, and I hope the Canadiens don't take that risk.

Old
10-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Malefic74

Trust me you want no part of Mike Comrie. Not that he's a terrible hockey player, far from it, but he is exactly what the Habs have too much of already.

The locker room disruption stuff is a little blown out of proportion. The most that teammates ask of you is that you work your ass off when you're on the ice and play with some passion. Comrie does both. He does have some defensive limitations but part of that is related to the system and position he plays in. The Oilers defensive zone assignments for centres are pretty wide ranging and Mike has just never quite gotten the hang of it.

Having said all of this to put up the 60-70 points he is capable of he needs 1st or 2nd line icetime. We know he is not an upgrade or even close to Saku. Defensively he is no worse or better than Perrault, but Comrie is an awful faceoff man. Last but not least is his size. The East is chock full of big, strong centers. The kinds that give Comrie all kinds of problems. Making his defensive shortcomings all the more glaring.

Lastly he does not handle fan or media criticism very well at all. Not good in Montreal. His best fit is in places like Nashville, Minnesota those kinds of teams.

Old
10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
IMO I was thinking he could land with atlanta with the lost of Heatley

Old
10-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Malefic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
Comrie- all I know is when he played Habs he seemed to be pretty dominant but i guess we can get false impressions with a few games.- Though I do think he has unexplored potential and an ego is not all bad for athletes
I watched the same games (and lost money on them), but it's all about icetime and matchups. The Habs centres don't give Comrie trouble from a size or speed perspective. But if he's out there against a Sundin, Lindros, Primeau or Thornton, he just doesn't match up well. And again he was getting 20 minutes a game. Even if the Habs grabbed him for cheap would you take away Saku's icetime for Comrie, or Perrault's?

I agree he has a ton of potential, and ideally it should be realized in Edmonton (his hometown), but he's either getting bad advice or he's pouting. Either way I don't think that potential will be realized with the Oilers. Or the Habs.

Old
10-08-2003, 08:02 PM
komisakick ass

Comrie is 5'9" so I don't want him
except if we can land him for Audette and Dackell
and I don't think it's possible

Old
10-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
True. People get carried away because he can score. So what. Czerkawski could do that at some point also. But he's never been an important part of any team. Comrie can score, but is small, horrible in his own zone, and spoiled/selfish have been words that stuck to him since he's been in Edmonton.
Alright, time to put an end to this "comrie is horrible in his own zone theory", sure last year was a bad year for Mike, but he was injured, and came back to early. His lack of hand mobility caused for a lot of turnovers, which will kill any player's +/-. He was only -4 before his injury. The thing I think people are losing sight over is his 2001-2002 campaign(and also his first full season):

Stats: Mike Comrie
Games played: 82
Goals: 33
Assists: 27
+/-: +16(team leading +/- for the season)
PM's: 45
PPG's: 8
SHG's: 0
GWG's: 5
GTG's: 4
Shots: 170(ranked 3rd on the team for the season)

I think people are completely over looking his that he is young still, what kid has put up numbers like that in his first full season??? Not too many i would imagine. The kid is clutch as well when the chips are down, he basically single-handedly dragged the Oilers into the playoffs down the stretch. Plus, he has been training hard over the summer with a fitness guru out of L.A.. I think this is Comrie's year to bust out big time, I just don't see it happening in EDM, he does not want to play here, due to intense media scrutiny covering his every move. Mark my words though, pending he sees a full season, or close to one, he will blow away his previous season's totals, and finish on the + side by the end of the season. Just some food for thought.

Old
10-09-2003, 04:58 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Alright, time to put an end to this "comrie is horrible in his own zone theory", sure last year was a bad year for Mike, but he was injured, and came back to early. His lack of hand mobility caused for a lot of turnovers, which will kill any player's +/-. He was only -4 before his injury. The thing I think people are losing sight over is his 2001-2002 campaign(and also his first full season):.
Just because he got lots of pts/finished plus doesn't mean he's good in his own end. I've seen Edm play lots, and Comrie's just not good defensively, accept it.

Nobody is saying he's not a good player, he just wouldn't fit it in Montreal. We're trying to make our team bigger, and another small centremen does us no good at all. There's no possible way anyone can convince me Comrie is an upgrade over Koivu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
he does not want to play here, due to intense media scrutiny covering his every move.
And you think this would be better in Montreal? Another good reason why we shouldn't get Comrie.

Old
10-09-2003, 05:14 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
And you think this would be better in Montreal? Another good reason why we shouldn't get Comrie.
I'm not saying the Canadiens should get Comrie, etc., etc., but yeah, the whole too-much-pressure thing that he's feeling in Edmonton now would be much better in Montreal.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:22 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I'm not saying the Canadiens should get Comrie, etc., etc., but yeah, the whole too-much-pressure thing that he's feeling in Edmonton now would be much better in Montreal.
From that comment I can easily deduct you never saw Montreal's media in action when they decide to bring down (or up) a player. They're the best (worst).

Old
10-09-2003, 06:34 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
From that comment I can easily deduct you never saw Montreal's media in action when they decide to bring down (or up) a player. They're the best (worst).
Isn't Comrie a local boy in Edmonton? I think so... that's probably what he meant.

Old
10-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Higgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
I watched the same games (and lost money on them), but it's all about icetime and matchups. The Habs centres don't give Comrie trouble from a size or speed perspective. But if he's out there against a Sundin, Lindros, Primeau or Thornton, he just doesn't match up well. And again he was getting 20 minutes a game. Even if the Habs grabbed him for cheap would you take away Saku's icetime for Comrie, or Perrault's?

I agree he has a ton of potential, and ideally it should be realized in Edmonton (his hometown), but he's either getting bad advice or he's pouting. Either way I don't think that potential will be realized with the Oilers. Or the Habs.
Dude, that has to be the funniest avatar i've seen so far...and by a landslide. Took me a few moments to realize where it's from. Brilliant man...simply brilliant.

Interesting comments about Comrie btw. I've always been a fan of his and would have loved to see him in a habs uniform but I must admit I haven't seen him play all that much. I would still take him over perreault in a heartbeat though, we desperetly need players that play with grit and Comrie seems to bring that with every shift (at least in the games that I've seen him play).

Old
10-09-2003, 09:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Munchausen, I heard someone recently, might have been Mcguire, but I'm not sure, saying that what's goes on in Edmonton has been as bad if not worse as anything he's ever seen in Mtl. I guess anywhere where hockey is that important, you'll be over scrutinized. I thought us Canadians were known to be polite ?

Old
10-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Isn't Comrie a local boy in Edmonton? I think so... that's probably what he meant.
Exactly, everywhere he goes, he is recognized. That is why he left Edmonton to hide out in Ann Arbour. With all the negativity to go along with a hold-out, i'm sure he is basically jsut hiding in his house living off of delivery food. The Media pressure might be jsut as bad in MTL, if not worse, but walking around the streets, he would just be a nobody. EDM is the smallest big city around, and he is known everywhere he goes, that was my only point.

Closed Thread