HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Atlanta-Canucks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
  #1
ManoWarrior
Registered User
 
ManoWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Atlanta-Canucks

An idea to clear the Canucks' salary issue + get a valuable asset going into the future + give the Thrashers a current slight-moderate upgrade on defense while adding a very good forward prospect who may be NHL-ready this season.

To Atlanta:

Ballard + Schroeder

To Vancouver:

Bogosian

Ballard is still a very good D-man, but he hasn't been great with the Canucks. He has been a victim of being a left-handed d-man, AV having a man-crush on Bieksa and then Bieksa really stepping up his play. He is a solid #2 PP pairing guy and is a very good PKer + shot-blocker. Schroeder is a very offensively gifted player who looks as if he'll develop into a Brian Gionta type player. He is the U.S.'s all-time leading point getter at the World Juniors. The Canucks may do this because it likely wouldn't seriously disrupt chemistry and Ballard may be willing to move to get a top 4 role.

Canucks lack a marquee Defenseman prospect (he's not really a prospect anymore, but he is prospect aged). The Thrashers are somewhat disappointed with him right now, and he doesn't look like an indispensable piece of the CURRENT team.

For the Canucks, this is to make room for Salo. Apparently, there is a way to make room without giving up any major pieces. See Winroba's post on a thread about moving Samuelsson (1st page). The Canucks have to do some waiving (Rome is the most major piece), plus some cap tinkering at the end of the season a la Flames and Devils in recent years (Salo on conditioning stint, small roster, Alberts at wing). I kind of prefer that, but management might not want to do that and risk tiring out the team before playoffs. This is an idea where the Canucks fill an organizational need of a blue-chip prospect d-man and he happens to be playing in the NHL already. Atlanta becomes a better team currently and getting Schroeder means that they're not mortgaging the future.

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:44 PM
  #2
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club
 
I Hate Chris Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 50
Atlanta is mortgaging the future by getting rid of their top prospect with the highest ceiling for a short term fix and a long term downgrade. I'd much rather have a #1, physical, PMD than Brian Gionta.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
  #3
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,380
vCash: 883
Ballard has a NTC, and I don't know if I'd even do him straight up for Bogosian. I've heard some rumblings of dissatisfaction from Atlanta about him.

Oh, and Schroeder's not even skating right now.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:47 PM
  #4
JuniorNelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E.Vancouver
Country: Australia-Aboriginal
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Gillis never gave up on Bieksa. He won't give up on Ballard.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
  #5
Bolkonsky
Registered User
 
Bolkonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Atlanta is mortgaging the future by getting rid of their top prospect with the highest ceiling for a short term fix and a long term downgrade. I'd much rather have a #1, physical, PMD than Brian Gionta.
I don't know if 4 more years of Ballard in his late 20s/early 30s and a promising Jordan Schroeder is really considered as "mortgaging the future", especially since the premise of this trade is that Atlanta don't think Bogosian's future is all that promising.

I would like to hear what Thrasher fan has to say to this.

Bolkonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
  #6
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,380
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slager View Post
I don't know if 4 more years of Ballard in his late 20s/early 30s and a promising Jordan Schroeder is really considered as "mortgaging the future", especially since the premise of this trade is that Atlanta don't think Bogosian's future is all that promising.

I would like to hear what Thrasher fan has to say to this.


That southern US hockey fan still gets no respect...

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
  #7
Bolkonsky
Registered User
 
Bolkonsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yes, you one lonely Thrasher fan, what's your take?

Sorry, English is my second language. I always forget about the plurals.

Bolkonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:26 PM
  #8
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Vancouver needs to add IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
  #9
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Decent deal for Atlanta.

I just think the prospect coming back needs to have a higher upside. Enter Cody Hodgson.

P.S. Dudley doesn't like small players

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:11 PM
  #10
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,270
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Ballard has a NTC, and I don't know if I'd even do him straight up for Bogosian. I've heard some rumblings of dissatisfaction from Atlanta about him.

Oh, and Schroeder's not even skating right now.
No he doesn't. He has a limited NTC. How do you think he was TRADED to Vancouver??

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
  #11
DrChill
Registered User
 
DrChill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: FSJ BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Draft Day Deal, I would trade Ballard and a prospect, (not Hodgson) for Zac, and be happy with it. Not sure You trade for him right before you go into the playoffs. A whole year with him first would work for me. I have always been interested in Bogo.

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:24 PM
  #12
btn
Gone Hollywood
 
btn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: ATL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I've heard some rumblings of dissatisfaction from Atlanta about him.
Rumblings? He got benched tonight, and I almost thought a parade was going to break out on the Thrashers board when we heard the news.

No way the Thrashers trade Bogosian right now, his value is too low. Have to give Ramsay time to get through to him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
  #13
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,270
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Rumblings? He got benched tonight, and I almost thought a parade was going to break out on the Thrashers board when we heard the news.

No way the Thrashers trade Bogosian right now, his value is too low. Have to give Ramsay time to get through to him.
He's what, 20 years old? He was incredibly overrated coming out of the draft, and now his long-term potential is being incredibly underrated.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
  #14
odgersfan83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Bogosian has been pretty doo-doo this year, but I don't think the organization is ready to throw in the towel just yet. We did that with Coburn and, well...yea.

odgersfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 10:46 PM
  #15
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
IF Bogosian was traded, I think it would be best to package him with others in order to get a premier player. That way if Bogo reaches his potential, the Thrashers will still have someone very good and won't be burned like the Coburn situation.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
  #16
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
No he doesn't. He has a limited NTC. How do you think he was TRADED to Vancouver??
Because he got to pick 7 teams he wanted to be moved to. If Atlanta was on his list (he only picked teams who get lots of media attention) then he could. That being said, it's very unlikely.

Edit:

Gillis won't give up on Ballard after a few months, he's here for the long haul and he's one of the four defenders signed past this year (Edler, Hamhuis, Rome & Parent)

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:37 PM
  #17
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Decent deal for Atlanta.

I just think the prospect coming back needs to have a higher upside. Enter Cody Hodgson.

P.S. Dudley doesn't like small players
Hodgson won't be moved for Bogosian

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
  #18
Magnus Fulgur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 7,354
vCash: 500
The Bogosian situation is nothing like the Coburn one: Atlanta has seen enough of Zach's play. He's been paired with Hainsey, Oduya, and Enstrom. He's seen plenty of ice time. He's had two major injuries, but he's had plenty of annoying minor injuries that seemed to come from nothing.

Bogosian is horrible. He's been horrible for nearly 100 straight games. Coburn only played 38 games for Atlanta, and wasn't a -12 like Zach is this year already.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:09 AM
  #19
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Rumblings? He got benched tonight, and I almost thought a parade was going to break out on the Thrashers board when we heard the news.

No way the Thrashers trade Bogosian right now, his value is too low. Have to give Ramsay time to get through to him.
Are you even aware of the quality that the Canuck OP offered? If you are expecting moe when his value is high, you are going to be waiting a long time. It is very unlikely Gillis would offer more than one of those two players. Ballard just cost us Bernier, Grabner and our 2010 first round pick. He was drafted 11th overall by Buffalo in 2002 and already is close to the skill level to what Atlanta hopes Bogosian will develop into. Ballard has struggled a bit trying to learn the Canuck's defense system, but Bogosian would have the same problem, if not more. I doubt very much Gillis is going to trade Ballard for Bogosian.

Jordan Schroeder was one of the main stars for the US at the WJC in both 2008-09 and 2009-2010 seasons. Hewas the Canuck's first round pick in 2009 and is currently one of the Canuck's three best prospects. Hodgson and Shirokov being the other two and meaning is is a very valuable asset in his own right.

The only advantage of the Canucks acquiring Bogosian is that the Canucks would have the luxery of being able to send him to develop in the minors for two or three more years rather than rush him into the NHL like Atlanta has done. A more realistic trade from Vancouver for Bogosian, especially considering how he is playing, would be Atlanta's choice of either Shirokov or Schroeder (Shirokov is NHL ready and just called up while Schroeder is about 2 years away still) plus Vancouver's 2nd round draft pick.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:56 AM
  #20
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Hodgson won't be moved for Bogosian
Without Hodgson in the deal, Atlanta has no incentive to deal Bogosian to Vancouver.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:32 AM
  #21
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,212
vCash: 500
I like Bogosian, I believe he has massive upside but I'd prefer to keep our team somewhat intact. I believe that Ballard still has some untapped abilities as well plus he's a guy who I think will come up big for us come playoff time.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:54 AM
  #22
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Without Hodgson in the deal, Atlanta has no incentive to deal Bogosian to Vancouver.
So most of the Thrashers fans here have been bashing him but he's worth Hodgson?

One poster said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Rumblings? He got benched tonight, and I almost thought a parade was going to break out on the Thrashers board when we heard the news.
That doesn't sound like anything close to Hodgson value.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:09 AM
  #23
Nedved1*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
An idea to clear the Canucks' salary issue + get a valuable asset going into the future + give the Thrashers a current slight-moderate upgrade on defense while adding a very good forward prospect who may be NHL-ready this season.

To Atlanta:

Ballard + Schroeder

To Vancouver:

Bogosian

Ballard is still a very good D-man, but he hasn't been great with the Canucks. He has been a victim of being a left-handed d-man, AV having a man-crush on Bieksa and then Bieksa really stepping up his play. He is a solid #2 PP pairing guy and is a very good PKer + shot-blocker. Schroeder is a very offensively gifted player who looks as if he'll develop into a Brian Gionta type player. He is the U.S.'s all-time leading point getter at the World Juniors. The Canucks may do this because it likely wouldn't seriously disrupt chemistry and Ballard may be willing to move to get a top 4 role.

Canucks lack a marquee Defenseman prospect (he's not really a prospect anymore, but he is prospect aged). The Thrashers are somewhat disappointed with him right now, and he doesn't look like an indispensable piece of the CURRENT team.

For the Canucks, this is to make room for Salo. Apparently, there is a way to make room without giving up any major pieces. See Winroba's post on a thread about moving Samuelsson (1st page). The Canucks have to do some waiving (Rome is the most major piece), plus some cap tinkering at the end of the season a la Flames and Devils in recent years (Salo on conditioning stint, small roster, Alberts at wing). I kind of prefer that, but management might not want to do that and risk tiring out the team before playoffs. This is an idea where the Canucks fill an organizational need of a blue-chip prospect d-man and he happens to be playing in the NHL already. Atlanta becomes a better team currently and getting Schroeder means that they're not mortgaging the future.
I am good with this. I take this trade.

Get er done Gillis

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:27 AM
  #24
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army
 
Peter Sidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
So most of the Thrashers fans here have been bashing him but he's worth Hodgson?

One poster said:



That doesn't sound like anything close to Hodgson value.
Where is Hodgson playing? AHL!

What makes you think his worth more than Bogosian

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:38 AM
  #25
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Where is Hodgson playing? AHL!

What makes you think his worth more than Bogosian
Hodgson is playing in the AHL because he is a top 6 center for a club who has top 3 center depth in the NHL.

Canucks have the luxury of not needing to rush prospects into the big leagues DRW style and it's better for his development to be playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL instead of 4 minutes a night in the NHL.

Cody also lost a year of hockey due to a misdiagnosed back injury.

If you read my posts, I never said Hodgson is worth more, I just said Gillis wouldn't move Hodgson for Bogosian. Hodgson was Gillis' first ever draft selection and of what I've read around here, Thrasher fans don't want much to do with Bogosian while Canuck fans are usually accommodating and try and hold on to Hodgson if they can move any number of our other prospects first.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.