HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Sauer appreciation thread

Old
01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I can't say I agree. If he was a wild card or drifting into Baranka territory, it wasn't because of his play. He's been playing this way for a while.

He may not be as good as Staal, and probably never will be, but he'll be more than just a nice NHL player. The way he plays, he's already more than that. He's an excellent defensive defenseman. In a year or two, he'll be even better. Not too many players in this league that are as good as he is defensively, as well adjusted in terms of positioning, but that are also able to make a smart, quick first pass and add some physicality into the mix. He's a gem as long as he stays healthy.
Sorry but I can't say I totally agree on this one. The kid looked good, not great, the last few years in the AHL. He missed more than 50 games the last three years coming off a final WHL season in which he did not quite progress as far as hoped.

At 23, this year represented a fork in the road for him. He was either going to take it up a notch or he was going to be on the brink of becoming a depth player. I think he deserves all the credit in the world for his success this season. But it was far from a given. And it is better than where how he was playing.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Sorry but I can't say I totally agree on this one. The kid looked good, not great, the last few years in the AHL. He missed more than 50 games the last three years coming off a final WHL season in which he did not quite progress as far as hoped.

At 23, this year represented a fork in the road for him. He was either going to take it up a notch or he was going to be on the brink of becoming a depth player. I think he deserves all the credit in the world for his success this season. But it was far from a given. And it is better than where how he was playing.
I agree with Edge here. Sauer looked serviceable in the AHL, but nothing like how he's looked in the NHL. I somehow wonder if he was beginning to doubt himself and just let himself level off somehow in the minors, because he looks much more invigorated and emotional in the NHL right now compared to last year.

He's looked just great out there on the ice. More reliable than I ever remember him being. Again, I think he looked good in the AHL but nothing outright amazing.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Pizza

It's pretty remarkable really. Last year when he was called up I seem to remember Torts not being impressed with him. So while I would not say his game has transformed itself like Boyle, the level he's taken it to is pretty amazing.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

My main concern with Mike is and always has been how he will play against fast, creative teams playing top 4 minutes. I think he struggled a little with the pace of the Montreal game, but hopefully its all just a part of his development.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
My main concern with Mike is and always has been how he will play against fast, creative teams playing top 4 minutes. I think he struggled a little with the pace of the Montreal game, but hopefully its all just a part of his development.
I don't understand how people aren't at all worried about injuries. He has had a great start to his NHL career but he is an injury waiting to happen all the time.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 08:40 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I agree with Edge here. Sauer looked serviceable in the AHL, but nothing like how he's looked in the NHL. I somehow wonder if he was beginning to doubt himself and just let himself level off somehow in the minors, because he looks much more invigorated and emotional in the NHL right now compared to last year.

He's looked just great out there on the ice. More reliable than I ever remember him being. Again, I think he looked good in the AHL but nothing outright amazing.
Agree to disagree. I thought he was the best defensive defenseman for the Wolfpack over the last few years every time I watched them play, and I was a big fan of the pick in general. I thought he should have made the big club at least last year, and maybe earlier.

He's just a very, very smart player. I really, really hope he doesn't get hurt because it'll be a HUGE blow to this team's future on the blueline, and for me personally, it'll be crushing because he's one of the few really bright spots for me as a Ranger fan away from the ice over what has been an extremely frustrating decade.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Edge

I hear you Sting. For me, for the first time in several years, Sauer resembles the player I thought he could potentially become.

The talent is there, but injuries cut into his development. Like Jon said, I think there was some doubt creeping in. A guy like Ivan Baranka is a prime example of what happens when a player slides the other way.

But he's pulling it off and I'm rooting for him. From where I stand, talent isn't the concern. Injuries and losing development time are.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I hear you Sting. For me, for the first time in several years, Sauer resembles the player I thought he could potentially become.

The talent is there, but injuries cut into his development. Like Jon said, I think there was some doubt creeping in. A guy like Ivan Baranka is a prime example of what happens when a player slides the other way.

But he's pulling it off and I'm rooting for him. From where I stand, talent isn't the concern. Injuries and losing development time are.
Well, of course losing development time has a lot to do with injuries, but I think part of the problem there is that he would have had more time to develop if he'd made the Rangers earlier like I think he should have. He wasn't having problems at the AHL level, so he could have spent more time learning the NHL game.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 05:56 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

1:24

Post game of the Caps game

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I feel like im posting from one appreciation thread to the next.

But its all warranted.

Sauer jumped into a huge spot and did exactly what he has done all season. Play a quiet, solid defense first game. He was up to the challenge of increased minutes and stiffer opposition and he passed the test.

A few times he was caught out of his lane or beat by a first line guy but that can happen to any defenseman in the league.

Great job.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Bardof425*

Sauer is very impressive. He wins most of those little puck battles that relieve pressure. He's a better skater than I thought he would be and he has shown some moxy in the O-zone. If he stays healthy he's a keeper. This defense may be scary good in a year or two and they held the Caps to 17 shots through regulation with 7 rookies in the lineup; pretty amazing.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Levitate

Quote:

Yeah, I kind of felt like whenever Sauer was on the brink of breaking out, or getting a callup, he'd get injured and it would set him back. He never really took that next step until this year. He just picked the perfect time to do so.

I don't really know what to expect out of him in the future though. He can certainly at least be a very good 3rd pairing guy. I don't know for sure yet if I see very good 2nd pairing guy in the long run, but it just depends on how he keeps developing in the NHL.

I was worried about his mobility before this year, but he seems to have improved that. Still could get better if he wants to be that 2nd pairing guy, I think. That's where I see the difference between someone like him and someone like McDonagh.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 06:07 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
On Michael Sauer and Ryan McDonagh: “They were probably our best pair as far as controlling our gaps. I thought we did a really good job of controlling the gaps. I’m excited for where we think they can get to, as we grow as a hockey club. I don’t think our D, you can call them offensive people, Michael has the best chance to become someone like that, but he’s still going through the process, I think there is offense there, but to call them offensive defensemen, no. Michael Sauer has shown an intelligence especially from the blue line in, particularly his pinching, I’m going to show 10 clips of them pinching - from last night - that they produced to keep our offense going. It may not translate right away to a winning streak, but it’s good stuff.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...tive_thinking/

Quote:
Tortorella lauded the work of the Ryan McDonagh-Michael Sauer tandem in Saturday's defeat, calling it, "Probably our best pair in controlling gaps." Sauer got 23:35 and McDonagh 21:36 while Michael Del Zotto played 12:59 (8:30 at even-strength) and Matt Gilroy 9:18 (7:57 even).

"I'm excited for where I think they're going to get to as we grow as a hockey club," Tortorella said.

"I'm really excited about these two young defensemen as we continue to grow."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1DH3U7CS7

Two Minnesota boys. Share the same agent Ben Hankinson.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Can't tell you how pleased I am not only by being right about what Sauer could bring to this team (Just desperately wanted a steady defensive defenseman, regardless of offense in the preseason) but by being wrong with my initial assessments of McDonagh. (Failed offense dman project, like Sanguinetti, to weak physically to play in the NHL)

His skating really gives him his "edge" that keeps him here, and his mobility complements Sauer nicely.

02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I just don't see why they don't pair Sauer off with MDZ or something like that. Sauer is definitely strong enough defensively to make up for MDZ's shortcomings on the blue line and it would definitely allow MDZ to focus more on bringing his offense.

And yes, Sauer has done nothing but impress this season. He's looked great everywhere he's played and should be a fixture on our blueline for years. It's ridiculous that it took this long for him to play in the NHL if he truly has been playing like this for years.

Also it looks like Mcdonagh is starting to get more comfortable on the NHL and he only continues to look better, much like Sauer. He's starting to join the rush and become more involved in the offensive zone, and I really do like him and Sauer as a pairing because they're incredibly solid, but it would be the best to break them up and allow one of them to make up for MDZ's shortcomings.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:08 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just don't see why they don't pair Sauer off with MDZ or something like that. Sauer is definitely strong enough defensively to make up for MDZ's shortcomings on the blue line and it would definitely allow MDZ to focus more on bringing his offense.
Just look at the time on ice numbers recently. Gilroy and MDZ are being protected.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
mullichicken25

is this the "i was dead wrong about Michael Sauer" thread?

i'll admit it

the dudes awesome, end of story

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Ola

Re Torts comments on Sauer two seasons ago: See Torts have a fox behind each ear, that I am sure of. And while I really question his ability to ice a top notch team under a cap in the postlockout NHL -- its one area in which he is among the best in the game.

Two seasons ago Sauer had a awesome first game. Then a second game in which he, and Paul Mara, was overwhelmed. More specifically, he could not cover for Mara (wich should not be expected of a rookie).

So what does Torts do? 1. say that the kid looked great but lost the numbers/politics game or 2. that the kid was not good enough. Whats best for Sauers development? I think the second option.

Then last year he was injured again.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 03:03 PM
HoosierDaddy

I didn't know what we had in MS, but the biggest issue I had was why he was not getting a shot to show what he could do on a long term basis. I know about the injuries and, but still... Felt he had the size and temperament to be a solid 5-6 dman, but he's just blown me away this season.

It's going to be a lot of fun watching the McD-Sauer pairing for years to come. Oh joy!

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2011, 10:56 AM
CH2

Yeah, bumping this up because the kid's not only been a rock in the defensive zone, but he's also protecting Lundqvist like no other defenseman we've had in the past couple of years.

Too bad Calder Trophy is about points and not about consistent overall play, because this guy deserves some recognition.

CH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 12:48 AM
tpb209

Sauer, to me, seems like a Regehr type defenseman. He plays the same tough/ good position defense that I expect from a guy like Regehr. He could also turn out to have more offensive play. He has made better/more good pinches in the offensive zone, and he seems to make good passes regularly.

tpb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I don't understand how people aren't at all worried about injuries. He has had a great start to his NHL career but he is an injury waiting to happen all the time.
Because the injuries were related to his hips. Which were surgically repaired.

He won't have that issue moving forward.

He's not injury prone.

He's a tough SOB. Physically and mentally.

This season is not a fluke. Sauer is the real deal. He's so good at doing the little things a defenseman should do.

Position. Stick work. Body position relating to the puck. Smart plays with the puck. Pinches at the right time. Blocks shots. Protects and defends his goaltender and teammates without hesitation. He can skate, he can shoot, he can pass.

And he plays with respect and fights with respect.

Sauer is everything a defenseman should be.

And he should be given a long term contract.

The chemistry he has with fellow Minnesota native, McDonagh is hard to find.

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer

Outstanding top four for many many many years if the Rangers are smart.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
NYROrtsFan

I'd definitely keep Sauer.

But I recall a number of injury issues. Didn't he even deal with a significant concussion once?

Purely talent speaking, he does just about everything you want. His pinches are perfectly timed for the most part, he plays physical, and is willing to drop them. His mobility is fine. Not concerned about him at all going against the faster teams.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
But I recall a number of injury issues. Didn't he even deal with a significant concussion once?
I looked it all up once, and I think you're right, but I don't feel like going back and searching again.

The injury concerns aren't purely related to Michael either - his brothers have had significant injury issues which impaired/ended their careers, so its a valid concern. Theres clearly something in the genes that invites the questions.

I don't think anyone would question his talent and what he brings to the ice, however.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote