HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Samuelsson might be traded

Old
01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
DamonDRW

vCash: 500
So you're trading a guy who is going to get 40-45pts playing on the third line with magicians line Torres and Malhotra? As I already said in one of those numerious threads about Canucks this guys could win you a couple of play-offs games playing on the third line. Could you say the same about Torres, Raymond, Tambellini, Ballard, Malhotra, etc? He is not Sedin he is much worse. At the same time he is better than 2/3 of your roster. It is called scoring depth. You'll need it in the play-offs.

DamonDRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrockztheworld View Post
How could you forget Moen had a cup ring? The Ducks played the Canucks in the playoffs that year and the Moen - Pahlsson - Niedermayer line in particular helped the Ducks beat us.

While I like Moen and his style of play Samuelsson's playoff last year and overall offensive ability FAR out weigh Moen's.
I really have no idea, it just didn't click maybe my memory is going

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:48 PM
RogerRoeper*

I knew Ballard was a bad idea. They didn't have room for him.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I knew Ballard was a bad idea. They didn't have room for him.
Ballard was traded for before Hamhuis signed and before Salo was injured, it was pretty clear at the time that Gillis was going to trade Bieksa but then Salo got injured and Bieksa has really stepped up his game.

Gillis had no idea wether or not Hamhuis would sign and he wanted some security since FLA was going to move Ballard on draft day no matter what.

Old
01-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Ballard was traded for before Hamhuis signed and before Salo was injured, it was pretty clear at the time that Gillis was going to trade Bieksa but then Salo got injured and Bieksa has really stepped up his game.

Gillis had no idea wether or not Hamhuis would sign and he wanted some security since FLA was going to move Ballard on draft day no matter what.
Hasn't Gillis also stated that Ballard has been in his plans since MG got here?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Falconator

He lead all Canucks players last post season with 15 pts in 12 games, that buys him some grace! He's not gonna be traded.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrockztheworld View Post
Hasn't Gillis also stated that Ballard has been in his plans since MG got here?
I hadn't heard that but I do recall him saying that Ballard has been one of a few players on his radar for a long time. Same as Manny (since he was 20).

People forget that Ballard couldn't walk all summer and was concussed a few weeks into the season.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
I hadn't heard that but I do recall him saying that Ballard has been one of a few players on his radar for a long time. Same as Manny (since he was 20).

People forget that Ballard couldn't walk all summer and was concussed a few weeks into the season.
You should know that there are some fans who don't use common sense when it comes to injury recovery time.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:05 AM
0123456789*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
The point was anyone who plays with the Sedins will put up points.

I honestly have no idea how anyone in their right mind that watches Canucks games can say Samuelson is anything but god awful. So this is what we are saying when evaluating a players effect on the team he plays for.

Being on a great teams years ago is more important than him sucking and hurting the team now. Hfboards has spoken!
Well then i must be out of my mind because I think his play has been ok and salary justified. I also think he complements the line up well especially going in to the playoffs when the style of play changes to his benefit. I think anyone wanting to get rid of Samuelson right now is "out of their mind", I also think that anyone who thinks Samuelssons contribution to the team has been anything less then positive is even more so "out of their mind". What Samuelsson did last year was a career high for him, this year he has averaged 53seconds less in power play time per game, 35 seconds less in ice time per game and hasnt played nearly as much with the Sedins, as a result he has had much less shots on goal and lower shooting percentage. But he is still contributing to the team and adding stability to the lineup, all for only a 2.5mill cap hit.
Samuelsson will stay because Gillis is NOT "out of his mind".

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:24 AM
David71

Quote:

yeah, my assumption was "gillis got lucky" getting 2 top 4 dman. these guys were durable/and were young. Ballard's contract is a bit iffy but w/e. he had injuries to battle through. i mean ballard=replacing kevin bieska had salo not been injured. but things changed so fast, gillis acted quickly and signed hamhuis like a week later.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
yeah, my assumption was "gillis got lucky" getting 2 top 4 dman. these guys were durable/and were young. Ballard's contract is a bit iffy but w/e. he had injuries to battle through. i mean ballard=replacing kevin bieska had salo not been injured. but things changed so fast, gillis acted quickly and signed hamhuis like a week later.
Hamhuis was signed before the Salo injury as well. Gillis will do some salary cap wizardry and we'll have 6 top 4 dmen in the lineup

Old
01-18-2011, 03:03 AM
David71

Quote:
Hamhuis was signed before the Salo injury as well. Gillis will do some salary cap wizardry and we'll have 6 top 4 dmen in the lineup
everyone would love that to happen. I can see it now.

hamhuis/bieska
edler/erhoff
salo/alberts/ballard/rome/callups. deepest defensive core heading into the playoffs. 5 potential top 4 guys playing number 2-3 roles. but if gillis decides not to work his magic but somehow fix the 2nd line by adding a big winger to play along kesler. and add a 4c then its fine.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:25 AM
YogiCanucks

Sammy FOR Bergfors

Straight up. Playoff and Veteran experience for Atlanta

Get rid of Sammy free card for Canucks.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:54 AM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
3 players soon to hit 20 goals, 5 on pace too, one playing on the 3rd line, but sure ya a pipe dream. If anything it would be more realistic as Torontos top 3 lines play close to equal minutes every night. And Torres wanted to play for his home town.
I don't think you really understand the logic leap you just demonstrated there. Maybe think about it a bit.

Whether or not Torres wanted to play in Toronto or not, he did state that he wanted to play for a good hockey team. Which, I'm sorry to unveil the truth, but Toronto is not a good hockey team.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:12 AM
JuniorNelson

^^
I disagree. Toronto is a very good hockey team, compared to the team I play on (over-forties, no-contact). I think they could beat us almost every time.

JuniorNelson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Model T

Quote:
We actually need to clear about 1.6 in theory but there's a way to get around it and have everybody in place for the playoffs:

1: Waive Bolduc, Volpatti & Rome the day before the trade deadline (19 games left in the regular season)

2: Call up Volpatti, Bliznak & any depth defender on a 2-way contract the day after the trade deadline

3: After 5 games or so, put Salo on a conditioning stint (3 games) and then ask the league to extend it another 2 games.

4: Waive Bliznak, Volpatti & depth defender

5: Put Alberts on the 4th line (Hansen - Glass - Alberts) and Salo on the bottom pairing for the last 8 games of the season.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambellini
Torres - Malhotra - Samuelsson
Hansen - Glass - Alberts

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Salo - Ballard

Luongo
Schneider

Subtracting Raymond's 90,000 bonus put on this year's cap, the Canucks have $26,500 in cap space for the last 8 games of the season.

6: After the last day of the season move Alberts back to defence, call up Hodgson, Bliznak & Volpatti

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Tambellini
Hodgson - Malhotra - Samuelsson
Torres - Glass - Hansen
Bliznak - Volpatti

Edler - Erhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Salo - Ballard
Alberts

Luongo
Schneider
If they suffer about 7 short-term injuries (i.e no cap relief) and have to run 16 players for lack of cap space, is Mike Gillis a moron the same way Darryl Sutter was a moron a few years back? Just wondering.

Model T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Amused To Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model T View Post
If they suffer about 7 short-term injuries (i.e no cap relief) and have to run 16 players for lack of cap space, is Mike Gillis a moron the same way Darryl Sutter was a moron a few years back? Just wondering.
Gillis would just find look-a-likes of the injured players and put them on for some protected minutes with Bolduc and Rome...lol

It's a calculated risk either way. I think it's worth it...Salo is a great player.

Amused To Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Sammy FOR Bergfors

Straight up. Playoff and Veteran experience for Atlanta

Get rid of Sammy free card for Canucks.
i think its fair. i was actually going to post this although it seems Bergfors has worked his way out of the doghouse for now

Telfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post
Gillis would just find look-a-likes of the injured players and put them on for some protected minutes with Bolduc and Rome...lol

It's a calculated risk either way. I think it's worth it...Salo is a great player.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Andy Dufresne

If Samuellson was moved Moen would be a great fit with the Canucks. I'm not really in the "trade Sammy for a bag of pucks" camp BUT in last years playoffs almost all of his points came against LA and almost none against Chicago. Both his ,and Raymonds, stats this year are fairly misleading in comparison to their average game contributions to the team imo.

Moen's (1$ Million) lesser salary would also mean we could keep 2 min salary forwards up, or keep Rome, in Winroba's above Salo solution. Going with 18 skaters for that long is pretty risky, and might cause fatigue heading into the playoffs (what're the odds no one gets even a minor injury?)

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote