HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brent Seabrook Being Shopped

Old
01-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
I still think that Seabrook asked for too much money on his contract on a lenght he isn't worth.

This may lead us to think we can let him go

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:10 PM
hockeyball

What do the Hawks need most right now? I'm honestly unsure so wondering what kind of holes they need to fill.

I would be surprised to see the Hawks and Sharks deal after the Hjalmarsson/Niemi thing though. I also think its highly unlikely we move both Murray and Demers, that does us more harm then good.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

from SJS...

Demers or Murray if you only want to trade 1 of them + 1st + ?

Old
01-17-2011, 03:01 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
from SJS...

Demers or Murray if you only want to trade 1 of them + 1st + ?
Just to replace Seabrook? I would assume they would looking to fill holes, not just downgrade on defense. Our 1st in a crap draft really isn't going to motivate anyone much I dont think.

How about something like Vlasic + Seto. More of a direct replacement for Seabrook, plus you get a Vergsteeg replacement.

Old
01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
How about something like Vlasic + Seto. More of a direct replacement for Seabrook, plus you get a Vergsteeg replacement.
Holy ****, that's generous.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Holy ****, that's generous.
Would you not do it? It's definitely a "man I wish he could have got a better deal than that" kind of trade (which is usually how trades are) but in the end the team looks better than it did before does it not?

The only problem is that Seabrook is an RFA. So it may require a conditional pick situation, so that's an issue. I certainly am not making a deal like that for a rental Seabrook.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Boyle-Seabrook would **** teams up

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Just to replace Seabrook? I would assume they would looking to fill holes, not just downgrade on defense. Our 1st in a crap draft really isn't going to motivate anyone much I dont think.

Seto may not fill a hole.

Pavelski would...

but No to Vlasic. Better getting Demers, a 1st + something else of value.

Heard a Rumor of Seabrook for Demers, 1st + Seto (was here on HF last week)

Old
01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Something around Pitkanen and Bowman?

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Sure, Seabrook has a better all around game.
But Staal is possibly the best shutdown D in the league.
In that possible way.
They are similar defensively (an argument could be made for either one). And Seabrook is better offensively.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Seto may not fill a hole.

Pavelski would...

but No to Vlasic. Better getting Demers, a 1st + something else of value.

Heard a Rumor of Seabrook for Demers, 1st + Seto (was here on HF last week)
I wouldn't do that deal, too much for a potential rental. Demers is too cheap and too talented. Plus if we trade Demers we don't gain anything in the PMD area which is what we need most. Murray or Vlasic would be better, and I thought Vlasic would pair excellently with Keith.

Pav's isn't totally off the table, but he has a long term very reasonable contract, Seabrook is an RFA. That's going to be a tough deal to work I would think.

Old
01-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
I wouldn't do that deal, too much for a potential rental. Demers is too cheap and too talented. Plus if we trade Demers we don't gain anything in the PMD area which is what we need most. Murray or Vlasic would be better, and I thought Vlasic would pair excellently with Keith.

Pav's isn't totally off the table, but he has a long term very reasonable contract, Seabrook is an RFA. That's going to be a tough deal to work I would think.
RFA's are never rentals, even if he signs somewhere else and Sharks don't match, you still get multiple high picks (based on what Seabrooke would be likely be offered).

Andy Dufresne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 04:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
RFA's are never rentals, even if he signs somewhere else and Sharks don't match, you still get multiple high picks (based on what Seabrooke would be offered).
That's true, but we really need a long term top-4 d-man, not picks Still, the risk is probably worth it as Seabrook would potentially shore up our blue line for some time.

It's not that Value is off when talking about Demers, its that we need to make a trade that doesn't hurt us more than it helps us. We need to fill a hole, not create another one. I hate to give up Murray, but assuming Seabrook slots in next to Boyle (safe assumption) that leaves Demers, Murray, and Vlasic vying for 2nd pairing duty. Murray and Vlasic do not make a good pairing. That leaves either Murray - Demers or Vlasic - Demers. For us, though Vlasic is better defensively and has more offensive upside, Murray - Demers makes more sense. Murray is physical, excellent defensively, and a leader on the team.

Still, Murray or Vlasic would really be the only options there. Either way you guys get a solid, relatively young (especially with Vlasic) replacement for Seabrook that can log big minutes. We can throw in our 1st on top of that, or like I suggested Seto.

Old
01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

If they do trade Seabrook, hopefully it's to somewhere in the east.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
I'd only entertain trading Seabrook if we could get a really good second line center back in the deal. Something along the lines of a Bergeron, Weiss or Pavelski... Probably a draft pick, too.

Trading Seabrook for another defenseman is a lateral move, at best. And between Kane, Sharp and Hossa, we really can't/don't need to invest any more money in high-priced wingers.
What about Travis Zajac? Not sure if the Devils could do it since he's our only real scoring center, but man would I ever love to land a defenseman like Seabrook.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Cullksinikers
Peaking Too Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
If they do trade Seabrook, hopefully it's to somewhere in the east.
I don't think he is going anywhere. Brent complements Duncan very well. He won't get anything more than what Duncan gets annually. I think he understands that anyway. We will have enough cap space next year to give him $4.75-5.2 million next year as a cap hit. Sure, maybe he's a hair overrated, but Seabrook is valuable to this team. He isn't as sharp as he usually is right now, but he'll snap back into it.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:45 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Be curious to see what Chicago would want from Minnesota. Already quite a few trades between the teams and most certainly would love to get another dman if it ever helped out Barker to find his damn game. Burns-Seabrook would be fun to watch

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Vlasic, Setoguchi and a 3rd for Seabrook.

I don't see Chicago realisically trading him at this point, tho.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

Quote:
That's true, but we really need a long term top-4 d-man, not picks Still, the risk is probably worth it as Seabrook would potentially shore up our blue line for some time.

It's not that Value is off when talking about Demers, its that we need to make a trade that doesn't hurt us more than it helps us. We need to fill a hole, not create another one. I hate to give up Murray, but assuming Seabrook slots in next to Boyle (safe assumption) that leaves Demers, Murray, and Vlasic vying for 2nd pairing duty. Murray and Vlasic do not make a good pairing. That leaves either Murray - Demers or Vlasic - Demers. For us, though Vlasic is better defensively and has more offensive upside, Murray - Demers makes more sense. Murray is physical, excellent defensively, and a leader on the team.

Still, Murray or Vlasic would really be the only options there. Either way you guys get a solid, relatively young (especially with Vlasic) replacement for Seabrook that can log big minutes. We can throw in our 1st on top of that, or like I suggested Seto.
1. You have to give to get.

Vlasic makes too much $. Demers or Murray are the targets on D + 1st +
why, because the Hawks are in the position of strenght. If they don't like the offers, they keep him and try to work out something different. If you want Seabrook, we want Demers +

And I like Demers, but he isn't near the level Seabrook is at the moment. In the future, maybe. Maybe even better.

2. Seabrook wouldn't be a rental. He will be RFA and is a Top20 D-men already. He is young and on the Top Pairing of the Champs that beat your team in the WConf Finals. You should know how good he is and what he is worth.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:22 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Seabrook
4th round pick

Paajarvi
Peckham

This is a win win both teams

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:12 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

Galiardi, Wilson, and a 1st?

Gali plays pretty similar to Versteeg. Can play effectively on pretty much all 4 lines. Wilson struggled end of last year/start of this year but has picked it up IMO. Could be a "good" downgrade (not sure any downgrade is ever really good) to a #4 d guy. If Wilson doesn't work you could swap in O'Byrne. I think Wilson has a higher potential than O'Byrne but O'Byrne is the better guy right now (been playing awesome paired with Liles, so maybe pairing he and Campbell would produce similar results?). Close? Awful?

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilsburnsclean View Post

Seabrook
4th round pick

Paajarvi
Peckham

in which way does this help the Hawks?

We have Morin and Beach, why should we trade Seabrook for this package? Change Peckham to Smid, then we start the talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Carter View Post
Galiardi, Wilson, and a 1st?
Sounds interesting, but not what Hawks want as of now.

We would need a Top4 D-Men in Return, not (sorry, but as of now) Wilson.
But it's not bad, just doubt that this would make sense

Old
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilsburnsclean View Post

Seabrook
4th round pick

Paajarvi
Peckham

Can we swap Peckham out for Smid? I would even give something else with Smid over Peckham, I want to keep him on the Oilers. PRV and Smid for Seabrook and no pick?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:32 AM
IJReilly

Count me among those who can't see Seabrook being traded, as he's too valuable to what the Hawks do defensively alongside Keith. However, IF Chicago trades him they would need to receive in return:
(1) a 2nd line center who's a plus faceoff guy and solid on the PK, and
(2) a 2nd pairing type D-man, or at least an above average #5 who could realistically develop into a solid top-4 player in the near future. Again, PK ability is a plus here. Physical, stay-at-home defenders would be preferred to PMD, as most Hawks prospects are of the puck-moving variety.

Throw in draft picks/prospects either way to even the deal, and keep in mind the combined cap hit of players coming to Chicago needs to be limited ($4-5M max). Western conference teams would have to add, of course, as it's always preferable to trade out of the conference if possible.

Whether Seabrook is worth the overpayment it would take to acquire him is up for debate. That's always the case when a team doesn't really need to deal a good player. Even with the above players coming back, such a trade probably weakens Chicago, which is why it's unlikely to happen IMO.

IJReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:33 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
in which way does this help the Hawks?

We have Morin and Beach, why should we trade Seabrook for this package? Change Peckham to Smid, then we start the talk

Sounds interesting, but not what Hawks want as of now.

We would need a Top4 D-Men in Return, not (sorry, but as of now) Wilson.
But it's not bad, just doubt that this would make sense
PRV and Smid for Seabrook? Okay from Edmonton. Would give us a decent defense core for once.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote