HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

McCabe with broken jaw, Ellerby recalled

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2011, 11:15 AM
  #26
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
i don't know why people are so hung up on ellerby getting more time. as far as i'm concerned, he's shown he's pretty much ready. it's just a matter of 1 way contracts (and potentially valuable assets) on the panthers that is keeping him down. he's looked very very good in all of his recent call ups. that fact has certainly not escaped tallon.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:19 AM
  #27
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
I'll join the party. I've never been the biggest McCabe fan either, but mad props for playing through a broken jaw. I think he'll be looked at more fondly by Panthers fans when he's moved out of Fla. ,not a second before that time.
speak for yourself, pal. that's a pretty lousy thing to say.

imo, he's been trying a little too hard lately if anything. he has not been anywhere near as bad as ballard was last year in my book. the major plusses are that he's a vocal guy in the room (something that was sorely needed) and has his teammates' backs (remember richards?). i don't understand how some posters could be so critical of the guy.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
  #28
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 8,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i like mccabe and his leadership! he's an asset to this team, a leader and a great teamate. you guys so underate him. wishing him the best and hope he resigns!!!
I too hope he resigns.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
  #29
johano90
Registered User
 
johano90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida
Country: Sweden
Posts: 463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
speak for yourself, pal. that's a pretty lousy thing to say.

imo, he's been trying a little too hard lately if anything. he has not been anywhere near as bad as ballard was last year in my book. the major plusses are that he's a vocal guy in the room (something that was sorely needed) and has his teammates' backs (remember richards?). i don't understand how some posters could be so critical of the guy.
I think some posters undue criticism of McCabe is a carry-over of his treatment by the Canadian media. They chased him out of TO and got Mike Van Ryn in return. I don't think I have heard anyone complain about that trade. In fact, too often we talk about all the horrible trades in Panthers history and forget that there have actually been a few good ones thrown in there too.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
  #30
Shockley
FloridaPanthersBlog
 
Shockley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Palm Beach,FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,177
vCash: 50
I wonder what the Defensive lines will be

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
  #31
Cosmonaut
Registered User
 
Cosmonaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Despite his defensive blunders at times, I really like McCabe and what he brings to this team. If we do trade him, I'm going to miss him.

Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
  #32
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
i like mccabe and his leadership! he's an asset to this team, a leader and a great teamate. you guys so underate him. wishing him the best and hope he resigns!!!
sounds like you with vokoun

FinlandPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:21 AM
  #33
FiveForDrawingBlood
Registered User
 
FiveForDrawingBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
Habs could be looking at acquiring a defenseman at deadline. With McCabe out 4-6 weeks doubt he will fetch much in trade. What do Panthers fans think of McCabe? McCabe is a +8 on a non-playoff team. How long has he been playing with broken finger?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
  #34
RainingRats
Registered User
 
RainingRats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
Habs could be looking at acquiring a defenseman at deadline. With McCabe out 4-6 weeks doubt he will fetch much in trade. What do Panthers fans think of McCabe? McCabe is a +8 on a non-playoff team. How long has he been playing with broken finger?
His trade value might have dropped. His injury like someone previously said is to his jaw so it shouldn't affect his play much like a knee injury would. Plus it gives him some time to rest and heal his finger. I would also think he can skate so conditioning shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't think we know how long he has been playing with a broken finger.

He's been a decent second pairing guy. He has the occasionally mentally lapse that results in a terrible turnover but overall he has been solid. I'd be very happy with a second round pick.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:16 AM
  #35
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Bryan McCabe

For all those McCabe bashers on this board: think about this for a second:

Florida, after tonights loss, is now 1-3-4 since McCabe has been out of the lineup. This coming off a stretch where the Panthers were playing extremely well and had some momentum after winning 3 in a row at home.

Toronto, if you remember, had a ridiculously better record with McCabe in the lineup than without him

If he's willing to come back at around $4mil per for 2 years, bring him back. He brings more to the club than what we will get for him as a rental.

JMO

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 03:19 AM
  #36
Sports24-7
Registered User
 
Sports24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
To me, that makes one thing very clear: We need to trade him. Let's keep the losing going.

Sports24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
  #37
jessebelanger
Registered User
 
jessebelanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,347
vCash: 500
As long as we don't lose him as a FA I am happy..this guy has value, despite the rap he gets.

jessebelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
  #38
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 500
His reputation did not come from nowhere. It's not because people don't like his face.
I agree with trading for something, anything, over losing him for nothing.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
  #39
flapanthersfan
Registered User
 
flapanthersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
His reputation did not come from nowhere. It's not because people don't like his face.
I agree with trading for something, anything, over losing him for nothing.
his reputation comes from fans - who, no offense, likely couldn't tell the difference between a good defensman and a bad one if it hit them in the face.

how do you explain the stats of his teams then? purely coincidental? i don't believe in coincidences, so another explanation will be needed.

there's been a significant downfall in our play since he got injured. that usually happens when you lose a very good defensman, which mccabe is.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 04:11 PM
  #40
harv3317
Registered User
 
harv3317's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,290
vCash: 500
i like mcabe, he's a leader and puts it all out there. he makes players better. i would love to re-sign him!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:35 PM
  #41
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
his reputation comes from fans - who, no offense, likely couldn't tell the difference between a good defensman and a bad one if it hit them in the face.

how do you explain the stats of his teams then? purely coincidental? i don't believe in coincidences, so another explanation will be needed.

there's been a significant downfall in our play since he got injured. that usually happens when you lose a very good defensman, which mccabe is.
you're a fan.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 07:50 PM
  #42
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Any update on McCabe?
Thanks in advance.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
  #43
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,047
vCash: 500
Caber's offense has been missed, no doubt. The Cats are starving for offense. His ever-increasing giveaways have not been missed.

He's getting up there in age and the Panthers already have Kuli, Ellerby, Garrison, Weaver, Allen, Gudbranson, and Wideman for next season. No room for Caber. Wideman isn't a stud in his own end either but he's better offensively and younger.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 08:55 PM
  #44
Markstrom Rules
Sup
 
Markstrom Rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 16,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
Any update on McCabe?
Thanks in advance.
2-4 more weeks

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 09:24 PM
  #45
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?
 
JonathanHuberdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Towanna
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
you're a fan.
I'm quite sure he's referring to Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

I live in Toronto and let me tell you, you meet some of the biggest morons here in Toronto. I was also here during all the McCabe bashing. The guy has made a couple of mistakes but NO defenseman is perfect. Even Lidstrom makes mistakes and is even a minus player this season.

The thing in Toronto is that one or two mistakes will kill you, but when you score on your own net like McCabe did they'll go for the jugular. They don't know talent here at all. Their fans are arguing with me that Reimer could be starting goaltender, like they're stupid trust me. I literally know more and sound much more informed than any Leaf fan I've ever spoken to in the city (I know this may sound like bragging but it's honestly just fact). There's a lot of knowledgeable fans in this city but they're just few and far between.

Caber is a solid defenseman that ANY team in the NHL would benefit from. He's our captain and I would love to keep him for 2 more seasons. I do want Weiss to become captain and he will be soon so that could effect the decision on whether we push to resign Bryan or not. I just want the end result to have him in a Panthers uniform next season.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2011, 10:55 PM
  #46
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
I'm quite sure he's referring to Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

I live in Toronto and let me tell you, you meet some of the biggest morons here in Toronto. I was also here during all the McCabe bashing. The guy has made a couple of mistakes but NO defenseman is perfect. Even Lidstrom makes mistakes and is even a minus player this season.

The thing in Toronto is that one or two mistakes will kill you, but when you score on your own net like McCabe did they'll go for the jugular. They don't know talent here at all. Their fans are arguing with me that Reimer could be starting goaltender, like they're stupid trust me. I literally know more and sound much more informed than any Leaf fan I've ever spoken to in the city (I know this may sound like bragging but it's honestly just fact). There's a lot of knowledgeable fans in this city but they're just few and far between.

Caber is a solid defenseman that ANY team in the NHL would benefit from. He's our captain and I would love to keep him for 2 more seasons. I do want Weiss to become captain and he will be soon so that could effect the decision on whether we push to resign Bryan or not. I just want the end result to have him in a Panthers uniform next season.
Pretty much what Markstrom rules said.
He's a good, not great, point getter...but I'm seeing McCabe as capt = PDB as a coach.
It's time for me to give my $$ to something else.

As for the record with/without...that never carries his team into the playoffs anyway, does it? I mean, cool-9th place over 11th...y'know?
We need Ellerby and Kulikov to do what they were meant to...add the Guds...

Hey! I know what make the PP better, with or without McCabe....NO MORE HULTON!!!

I also liked that Stillman run PP better than the McCabe run PP. It seems Stillman's the smartest hockey guy in the org.

Only thing I didn't like was the decision not to protest for review...other than that I don't hate his leadership or personality, etc..


Last edited by CHGoalie27: 02-04-2011 at 07:51 AM.
CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.