HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

The last missing piece: Another solid D

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

vCash: 500
Another thought, I think it might be time to sit Hedman for a game let him "observe" because seems like hes been making some really bad decisions with the puck lately. Sit him 1 game then maybe it'll get him out of the funk.

Old
01-15-2011, 01:10 AM
IdealisticSniper

Brent Seabrook is supposedly on the block. Would love him here but dont know what it would take. Also not sure if SFY is looking to make another move this year.

Old
01-15-2011, 05:50 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Brent Seabrook is supposedly on the block. Would love him here but dont know what it would take. Also not sure if SFY is looking to make another move this year.
Too much, I suppose.

Old
01-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Too much, I suppose.
I'd trade Ashton and Purcell for him, he's a stud d-man, we have some good offensive prospects and I'd pay the price to get him

Old
01-15-2011, 12:17 PM
I Am Beat You

I would easily give up Purcell, a mid level prospect and a conditional pick for him if he re-signs with us.

We could clearly use a d-man whose good in his own end.

Old
01-16-2011, 11:22 PM
peanutvendor

regehr. finally feaster can make a trade that will benefit the lightning!

me and a friend were talking and figured out of all the dmen who could be available, bieksa would probably be the best fit for what the team needs.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I'd trade Ashton and Purcell for him, he's a stud d-man, we have some good offensive prospects and I'd pay the price to get him
Overpayment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
I would easily give up Purcell, a mid level prospect and a conditional pick for him if he re-signs with us.

We could clearly use a d-man whose good in his own end.
That's more like it, but I think he could be had for even less. It all depends on if SFY is willing to move picks or not.

And while I've never been as high on Purcell as some of us have, I don't see who can fill that role right now for us either. Rittola possibly, but I've pretty much written him off. Even if he is finding his place here.

Chewy's clock is running out.

Or, Blair Jones. Righty shot, is willing to throw down, is positionally versatile like Purcell, etc.

Even possibly Pool Noodle, does anyone know how any of them are doing?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-17-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Overpayment.

That's more like it, but I think he could be had for even less. It all depends on if SFY is willing to move picks or not.

And while I've never been as high on Purcell as some of us have, I don't see who can fill that role right now for us either. Rittola possibly, but I've pretty much written him off. Even if he is finding his place here.

Chewy's clock is running out.

Or, Blair Jones. Righty shot, is willing to throw down, is positionally versatile like Purcell, etc.

Even possibly Pool Noodle, does anyone know how any of them are doing?
Let's not forget Purcell is an RFA after this season as well.

If we're talking fill-ins from Norfolk, I'd prefer Blair Jones in there. He's a hard worker, defensively responsible and plays a physical, more playoff suited game. I couldn't care less if Ritola never plays another game in a Bolts uni, but that's just me.

Old
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm on the Ritola boat as well.

I'd like to see Durno and/or Wright as well as Blair.

Old
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Someone said our PP was at its best with Purcell in there and I agree 100%. His shot wasn't anything to keep an eye on defensively but his slick passing and stick handling opened up alot of things for MSL and Stammer. We kind of drifted away from the 2 unit PP and instead have loaded up on 1 unit and it hasn't worked and has made our top guys more drained.

I'd like to see a PP of:

Stamkos at his spot-Vinny down low-Purcell at the wall
Marty at the point-Kubina on the blue line right next to the wall.

Draw as much attention away from "the spot" as possible.

Old
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
Let's not forget Purcell is an RFA after this season as well.

If we're talking fill-ins from Norfolk, I'd prefer Blair Jones in there. He's a hard worker, defensively responsible and plays a physical, more playoff suited game. I couldn't care less if Ritola never plays another game in a Bolts uni, but that's just me.
It's always unfortunate to see a young, talented player having to deal with injuries instead of getting a foothold and fulfill his dream (to play in the NHL). On the other hand, it's kinda sad too, when you know there are extremely hard working and maybe even more promissing players in our system who would help us a lot more at the moment than that ginger on healthy scratch rotation. Jones was very close to making the team during pre-season and he'd definitely deserve it. He's great defensively and he'd also bring a more physical aspect to our game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Someone said our PP was at its best with Purcell in there and I agree 100%. His shot wasn't anything to keep an eye on defensively but his slick passing and stick handling opened up alot of things for MSL and Stammer. We kind of drifted away from the 2 unit PP and instead have loaded up on 1 unit and it hasn't worked and has made our top guys more drained.

I'd like to see a PP of:

I agree. Never change a running system. Why was Clark removed from the first unit? Why put all our high skill players on one unit instead of spreading our scoring power over two units and therefore over two full minutes of PP instead of one long and exhausting shift followed by a mix of 3rd and 4th liners?

Lecavalier/Malone
Stamkos - Purcell
St. Louis - Kubina

That looks really good. This would allow a 2nd unit of:

Malone/Lecavalier
Gagne - Downie
Hedman/Ohlund - Kubina/Clark/Lundin

Five forward alternative:

Malone
Stamkos - Lecavalier
St. Louis - Purcell

Old
01-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

If the PP continues to struggle, I would guess Bergeron is up a little sooner than expected. Screw the power-play set ups. Just put Marty in the middle and let him feed Stammer and Bergeron for a one-timer show. Put Malone and Downie on solely as the puck retrievers.

Old
01-17-2011, 09:23 PM
I Am Beat You

Our 1st unit with Purcell and Clark was a very good one, but my only change would be to put Vinny in Purcell's spot. That's a key place to have the left hand shot and it would really give us 2 great options at the circles. Marty's been excellent at the point and Clark was doing well in his roaming role. Bugsy has definitely established the spot in front of the net, so he won't be going anywhere.

I think we'll start seeing Clark back on the PP before Bergeron gets called up, who by the way, hasn't exactly been playing his best in Norfolk. He has just one point since joining the Ads.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:15 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

MAB isn't going to be the silver bullet we've all been waiting for. Yeah, he'll help a little on the PP but is he going to prevent Kubina from turning the puck over at the most inopportune times? Is he going to prevent Hedman from constantly looking lost when approached by opposing forwards on the rush? Uh no. What we need the most is to make a decision. If this is going to be our season, then we need to upgrade our D, go for the gold and be willing to scratch Hedman as necessary. But that won't happen until hell literally freezes over and there are 40 inches of snow on the ground in Tampa.

BTW, Commodore will be available on re-entry for $1.875m.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:41 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
12 dépisteurs (scouts) à mtl: Cal 4 Columbus, Phoenix, Ottawa 2, Tampa, Nashville, Toronto, Pittsburgh
http://twitter.com/renhockey

Any guesses?

Old
01-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
MAB isn't going to be the silver bullet we've all been waiting for. Yeah, he'll help a little on the PP but is he going to prevent Kubina from turning the puck over at the most inopportune times? Is he going to prevent Hedman from constantly looking lost when approached by opposing forwards on the rush? Uh no. What we need the most is to make a decision. If this is going to be our season, then we need to upgrade our D, go for the gold and be willing to scratch Hedman as necessary. But that won't happen until hell literally freezes over and there are 40 inches of snow on the ground in Tampa.

BTW, Commodore will be available on re-entry for $1.875m.
For this season only. The last two years of his deal would totally be on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post

I'd like to see a PP of:

I think what makes Purcell so effective, with the right teammates, is that no one pays attention to him.

As a side note, I'm not quite visualizing what you're describing. On 1-3-1, "the point" is the guy on the blue line.

In theory, I'd want to put my best offensive defensemen on the PP with my best offensive forwards. Kubina doesn't fit that description for me, but I understand the argument.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-18-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Regehr probably

Old
01-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Obviously Kiprusoff for Vinny.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
the smartest hockey related board on the internet is this tampa bay lightning board of hfboards dot com

Old
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Dreger said today on TSN that Phillips "shouldn't be too expensive". Just wondering what his price might be then.

Old
02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Dreger said today on TSN that Phillips "shouldn't be too expensive". Just wondering what his price might be then.
Considering they wanted a first rounder and a top prospect for Fisher..

02-03-2011, 11:20 PM
NoLocus*

You can have Foster back.

Old
02-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
You can have Foster back.
We warned!