HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Malkin for Nash

Old
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

vCash: 500
Malkin for Nash

Evgeni Malkin

Rick Nash

The Jackets get their top center they wanted, and the Pens get an elite, top-pairing winger for Crosby.

Is the value there? What needs to be added?

PADevil3034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Leave Spezza Alone
moral victories

vCash: 50
Deja vu.

Leave Spezza Alone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Dylonus

Not this again...

Nash is not enough for the Jackets to get Geno, and they won't be willing to do to do so

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

The Jackets want that "elite center" so he can play with Nash...

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Minister of Offence

If I was Howsen I wouldn't be handing the team over to Malkin.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetter30 View Post

Evgeni Malkin

Rick Nash

The Jackets get their top center they wanted, and the Pens get an elite, top-pairing winger for Crosby.

As someone above said, the reason Columbus wants an top center is to play with Nash. Granted Malkin is fully capable of being an offensive catalyst himself but this trade just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Nash doesn't have enough value to equal Malkin. Nash is an elite power forward but not an elite player. Now Nash being fed by Nash would be amazing but Pittsburgh has found a lot of success with there center depth and probably isn't going to trade it anytime soon especially with Malkin's cost being at an all time low.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If I was Howsen I wouldn't be handing the team over to Malkin.
People fail to realize why Malkin has been playing below expectations for some time. Look no further than how he's being used and who he's played with. Shifting a player around almost game to game from center to wing back and forth can't be good for a guy's play. Add to that constant linemates the likes of Matt Cooke, Max Talbot, Arron Asham and Mike Comrie and you also have a superstar who is playing with players who shouldn't be sniffing top-6 roles, let alone getting major minutes there.

Geno is putting up pretty decent numbers considering the fact that he's been playing with 3rd and 4th line players for the better part of two years now. Give Stamkos, Ovechkin, or Sedin that kind of support and watch their production and overall play drop precipitously.

Honestly, Malkin needs to be surrounded with talent in order to thrive. Be that a knock against him or not, it's the truth. If Geno somehow found his way to Columbus and had Nash on his line, that line would be the bane of the western conference's existence.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:17 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
If Geno somehow found his way to Columbus and had Nash on his line, that line would be the bane of the western conference's existence.
I agree and would love to see it happen, but I doubt it ever would. Too bad.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi

Hasn't this idea been shot down enough?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:47 AM
JTG

Pens say no. It isn't close to an even swap.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Pens say no. It isn't close to an even swap.
Columbus says no first.

Why would they trade Nash, who is their franchise player signed to a long term deal, basically an icon in Columbus, for Malkin who probably doesn't even want to be there.

Columbus wants to find a center for Nash, and that center is/could be Ryan Johansen. They are not looking to deal Nash.

There is absolutely no reason for Columbus to do this. You don't deal a team's icon for a 'top-5' player in the world, no matter how good that player is.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:19 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Columbus says no first.

Why would they trade Nash, who is their franchise player signed to a long term deal, basically an icon in Columbus, for Malkin who probably doesn't even want to be there.

Columbus wants to find a center for Nash, and that center is/could be Ryan Johansen. They are not looking to deal Nash.

There is absolutely no reason for Columbus to do this. You don't deal a team's icon for a 'top-5' player in the world, no matter how good that player is.
Have the Jackets even made it past the first round yet? It's not like you'd make the trade and think "what could have been?". I really like Nash, but Malkin is a notch above.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
If I was Pitts, I'd be looking to move Malkin for two really good wingers at around $4M per, plus a draft pick.

Malkin

for

Benn
Neal
1st round pick

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post

You don't deal a team's icon for a 'top-5' player in the world, no matter how good that player is.
So you wouldn't trade Nash for a Crosby or Ovechkin. Interesting.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Honestly, Malkin needs to be surrounded with talent in order to thrive. Be that a knock against him or not, it's the truth. If Geno somehow found his way to Columbus and had Nash on his line, that line would be the bane of the western conference's existence.
That would mean Howsen is not handing the team over to Malkin. You could argue Malkin would be the best player but the leader on that team would still be Nash.

It's just a bad deal for Columbus to trade away their heart and soul and a guy that took less to stay for a Malkin who has yet to have the opportunity to prove he can be a teams focal point for any other reason then a temporary injury.

Could the Pens justify it? Guess not...apparently their fans would be infuriated. I think Malkin should just say until/if he ever becomes a problem. You can say Malkin is one of the best centers in the game but I really doubt your going to get a top winger in the game for him....and I'm talking about wingers that are a little better than Nash.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Columbus adds on top of Nash.

Along the lines of, Nash, Voráček, 1st and I still don't know if Pittsburgh accepts the deal.

Malkin's career low in points (77pts in 67gp) is pretty much better than Nash's career high (79pts in 78gp). Nash is generally considered an "elite sniper" yet Malkin's career high in goals (47G) is significantly higher than Nash's career high (41G). I agree Nash is a better hitter, and leader but the difference between them defensively is negligible and Malkin is the significantly better offensive player.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:56 AM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetter30 View Post

Evgeni Malkin

Rick Nash

Malkin>Nash......CBJ needs to add a significant piece to make the Pens even think about it

AlMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
ProdigalOne*

If pittsburgh traded malkin to colombus it would be for a winger on a good contract, another 2nd line winger or similar + a first probably. Malkin>Nash and always will be. Nash is already at his max potential whether people want to accept that or not. Hes not a 100 point guy and wont be.

ProdigalOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalOne View Post
If pittsburgh traded malkin to colombus it would be for a winger on a good contract, another 2nd line winger or similar + a first probably. Malkin>Nash and always will be. Nash is already at his max potential whether people want to accept that or not. Hes not a 100 point guy and wont be.
Nash has never played with a #1 center, let alone the best center by a clear margin in the world. There's a lot of 60-80 point players around the league Crosby could turn into 100 point players. Sid's like the best scorer and assist man in hockey...anyone that plays with him will probably hit career highs....and in the case of a guy like Nash who's never played an NHL season with anyone close to that caliber? Ya it could be 100 points for him.

Stats are overrated.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:08 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Nash has never played with a #1 center, let alone the best center by a clear margin in the world. There's a lot of 60-80 point players around the league Crosby could turn into 100 point players. Sid's like the best scorer and assist man in hockey...anyone that plays with him will probably hit career highs....and in the case of a guy like Nash who's never played an NHL season with anyone close to that caliber? Ya it could be 100 points for him.

Stats are overrated.
Nash might end up playing with Staal anyway, we know Crosby can put up 110 points with Kunitz and a third liner.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Before making a Malkin proposal you should first ask yourself why the Pens would trade him. Once you figure that out then see if you proposal addresses the Pens' situation.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Malkin>Nash......CBJ needs to add a significant piece to make the Pens even think about it
And yet, if I was Columbus, I wouldn't give up Rick Nash to get Malkin, because I don't think Malkin is the piece you build your team around.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Pens can't afford to trade Malkin now. I heard Crosby is protesting the rest of his career until the NHL does something about hits to the head

Oh, and for Rick Nash... El Oh El

Jules Winnfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Makaveli

more like Staal+ for Nash

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Nash might end up playing with Staal anyway, we know Crosby can put up 110 points with Kunitz and a third liner.
They'd have difficulty avoiding each other on the powerplay. If my plan was to put him with Staal I wouldn't trade Malkin for him.