HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Paul Holmgren earns 3-year contract extension

Old
01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Snider must have seen this and decided Holmgrem was somehow a genius.

They must be related to him or his friends or something. No way so many people would foolishly waste their money like that...

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
You know what's crazy though? The reason we don't have a 2nd this year is from the Carcillo trade almost 2 full years ago... and he can barely crack the lineup
Yeah, but he was pretty good in the Devils series last year.
and he's a fan favorite.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Yeah, but he was pretty good in the Devils series last year.
and he's a fan favorite.
Yeah he's my 2nd favorite person to sit in the pressbox after Shelley.

I know he can be useful, but really I am not sure if he even finishes the season with the team, let alone is re-signed in the offseason.

If we trade for a forward at the deadline, he will likely be going the other way

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:05 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

thats jodys dad brothers and uncles.... i met them at msg and offered to take a picture of them together. super excited canadiens stoked at being at MSG for the first time. no one messed with them, they all are like 6'5"

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
I thank Homer for rescuing Carle from Tampa Bay! Good job outta you, Homer!

Sincerely,

The only non-Carle hater on this board.
You are not alone.... there are many of us who recognize, as the coach, GM and players do, how well Mr. Carle plays game in, game out.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You are not alone.... there are many of us who recognize, as the coach, GM and players do, how well Mr. Carle plays game in, game out.
There are plenty of you who turn a blind eye to the 4 or 5 bad plays he makes every game.

I acknowledge Carle's good plays, and his bad ones. I can see his strengths (offensive zone passing, pinching, shot blocking) as well as his faults (weak, defensive zone passing, board play, no physicality) whereas you guys try to claim that he is better than Pronger, and that Pronger only brings him down and makes him play worse.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:23 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I have been a supporter of Carle from day one, but it would also be ignorant to not notice his flaws. He has lived up to his contract, and I find that is getting harder to do in recent years.

I think what doesn't help is looking at 2 great, and arguably top 5-10 best defensemen in the league, next to Mez, Carle and Coburn. You can see the difference in skill and wisdom, so relative to Kimo and Pronger we think they "suck".

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Uh oh, it's another Matt Carle crusade where the self-righteous hide behind the "that's why they get paid" argument and claim they're right without providing any tangible argument.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Carle may be the type of player where you don't really know what you have until he's gone. Personally, I'm kind of ambivalent towards him. He's a better version of Kevin Haller and Yves Racine.....Gord Murphy comes to mind as well although Gord was more physical from what I can recall...it's been a while!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
There are plenty of you who turn a blind eye to the 4 or 5 bad plays he makes every game.

I acknowledge Carle's good plays, and his bad ones. I can see his strengths (offensive zone passing, pinching, shot blocking) as well as his faults (weak, defensive zone passing, board play, no physicality) whereas you guys try to claim that he is better than Pronger, and that Pronger only brings him down and makes him play worse.
For his role on the team, you take his strengths with his faults and be happy.

He's a much better player (and so is Coburn for that matter) than many on here give him credit for.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
HoverCarle*

I do think Holmgren is learning from his mistakes and I am cautiously optimistic that his stupid moves have ceased.

However, 2 moves that will ALWAYS blow my mind are:

Signing Jones 2 years at 2.75 million per. I literally figured it was 2.75 spread over 2 years when he first got that contract, and even then ~1.4 for Jones seemed like a lot to me. Jones went from making 525k to making 2.75 million. Horrible deal then, horrible deal now. Also recalling him on re-entry was awful

trading Upshall AND a 2011 2nd for Carcillo in 2009. I know some people hated Upshall, but still we should have been the ones getting a pick back not Phoenix. (and people who cite cap reasons can look back up to crazy move number 1, and see a much more sensible target for cap space)

Also I wish we had just traded Gagne for a 4th, rather than taking Walker's bad contract back for 3 years

Old
01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
I do think Holmgren is learning from his mistakes and I am cautiously optimistic that his stupid moves have ceased.

However, 2 moves that will ALWAYS blow my mind are:

Signing Jones 2 years at 2.75 million per. I literally figured it was 2.75 spread over 2 years when he first got that contract, and even then ~1.4 for Jones seemed like a lot to me. Jones went from making 525k to making 2.75 million. Horrible deal then, horrible deal now. Also recalling him on re-entry was awful

trading Upshall AND a 2011 2nd for Carcillo in 2009. I know some people hated Upshall, but still we should have been the ones getting a pick back not Phoenix. (and people who cite cap reasons can look back up to crazy move number 1, and see a much more sensible target for cap space)
Leighton still has the rest of this year to be called up on re-entry. Honestly what do you think Homers first move would be, if one of our goalies has a minor injury taking them out for a week?

I do like that he admitted to ****ing up Jones' contract.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I don't think he ever admitted that. He was mad at the Kings for claiming Jones off of waivers to begin with.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:49 AM
mypunkrock

Did we have to give up a second to sign him?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't think he ever admitted that. He was mad at the Kings for claiming Jones off of waivers to begin with.
Sorry I wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to the re-entry part, but rather his contract value.

He said his agent did a good job of blah blah blah.... Pretty much saying he got duped.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
chaosof99*

I support this, but I believe you guys wouldn't expect anything else from me.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I admit I dont like him. shocking news there huh
But Ill give him credit for the moves outside of Shelley and Walker this year. hes done a good job. He righted a wrong by sending Leighton down to where he belongs. to the AHL.
I do hope hes learned a lesson in all the draft picks hes given away the last few years.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I admit I dont like him. shocking news there huh
But Ill give him credit for the moves outside of Shelley and Walker this year. hes done a good job. He righted a wrong by sending Leighton down to where he belongs. to the AHL.
I do hope hes learned a lesson in all the draft picks hes given away the last few years.
Bite your tongue on the last sentence...he's still got a 1st round chip burning a hole in his pocket. Holmer may be a recovered alcoholic but not sure if he's a recovered gambler.....

Old
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Bite your tongue on the last sentence...he's still got a 1st round chip burning a hole in his pocket. Holmer may be a recovered alcoholic but not sure if he's a recovered gambler.....
Im not even looking at 1st round players anymore. That **** is gone by the trade deadline. We will get a 35+ yr old defender or offensive player.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Holmgren's new catch phrase should be "Haters gonna hate...and then they will support me when I win games for them."

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im not even looking at 1st round players anymore. That **** is gone by the trade deadline. We will get a 35+ yr old defender or offensive player.
Not trying to start some **** here, but I really don't get why everyone is so adamant on keeping draft picks rather than trading them. Chances are that you the player you get in return for that pick is what the what the picked player might turn into some time in the future.

It is kind of like a "bird in the bush" argument. Not to mention that we have a ton of young talent already and even in the rebuild it was more of a necessity to acquire veteran leadership.

I'm not saying that the team shouldn't try to develop new players themselves, but when the opportunity arises to get a good player who is NHL read now in exchange for a draft pick that could only potentially become that player a few years down the line, it's probably a good idea to get the player who can play now. That is of course entirely dependent on the situation of the team or the position of the pick in the draft, but right now, the Flyers aren't necessarily dependent on drafting young players.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Not trying to start some **** here, but I really don't get why everyone is so adamant on keeping draft picks rather than trading them. Chances are that you the player you get in return for that pick is what the what the picked player might turn into some time in the future.

It is kind of like a "bird in the bush" argument. Not to mention that we have a ton of young talent already and even in the rebuild it was more of a necessity to acquire veteran leadership.

I'm not saying that the team shouldn't try to develop new players themselves, but when the opportunity arises to get a good player who is NHL read now in exchange for a draft pick that could only potentially become that player a few years down the line, it's probably a good idea to get the player who can play now. That is of course entirely dependent on the situation of the team or the position of the pick in the draft, but right now, the Flyers aren't necessarily dependent on drafting young players.
It would be a valid point if we weren't in a cap league...you can't piss away draft picks that easily for higher priced veterans and hope to have a future. The league is younger these days and the chances that a first rounder produces at a cheaper price is what has to be considered. I'm sure other people will agree with this....

Old
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Good for him considering he was a lost shootout away from being fired.
Your statement is 100% false.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
You know what's crazy though? The reason we don't have a 2nd this year is from the Carcillo trade almost 2 full years ago... and he can barely crack the lineup
no, we traded our 2nd this year for Meszaros

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Garbage Goal

Meh. Kind of expected, doesn't matter whether I think Holmgren is a good GM or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
It would be a valid point if we weren't in a cap league...you can't piss away draft picks that easily for higher priced veterans and hope to have a future. The league is younger these days and the chances that a first rounder produces at a cheaper price is what has to be considered. I'm sure other people will agree with this....
Plus NHL vets are usually UFAs...which means that they're harder to sign then a prospect, which is an RFA most of the time. Much harder actually.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote