HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Cops vs Vancouver. 7pm. 1/14/2010

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2011, 12:38 AM
  #501
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolthing View Post
http://www.hockey-reference.com/team...006_games.html

21 games is from #62 (@ Philly) onward. I'll let the haters count the L column .
Thanks, just checked. I was right on Anaheim too.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:49 AM
  #502
init2winit
 
init2winit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
b/c I like numbers:

2005-2006
Carolina*
Last 20 games – 9W 11L
Last 44 games total – 28W 16L (.636%)
Edmonton
Last 20 games – 9W 11L
Last 44 games total – 20W 24L (.455%)

2006-2007
Anaheim*
Last 20 games – 13W 7L
Last 44 games total – 21W 23L (.477%)
Ottawa
Last 20 games – 12W 8L
Last 44 games total – 29W 15L (.659%)

2007-2008
Detroit*
Last 20 games – 12W 8L
Last 44 games total – 26W 18L (.591%)
Pittsburgh
Last 20 games – 12W 8L
Last 44 games total – 27W 17L (.614%)

2008-2009
Pittsburgh*
Last 20 games – 15W 5L
Last 44 games total – 26W 18L (.591%)
Detroit
Last 20 games – 10W 10L
Last 44 games total – 25W 19L (.568%)

2009-2010
Chicago*
Last 20 games – 11W 9L
Last 44 games total – 26W 18L (.591%)
Flyers
Last 20 games – 8W 12L
Last 44 games total – 23W 21L (.523%)

edit:Caps last 44 games: 30-14 (.682%)


Wouldn't hate to see the team go 26-18 over the last 44 .


Last edited by init2winit: 01-16-2011 at 02:29 AM.
init2winit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:56 AM
  #503
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
OK, just got home...

Anaheim:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule.../anaheim-ducks

Dec 29 Carolina Loss 4-2
Dec 31 Minnesota Loss 4-3
January 2 Detroit Loss 2-1
January 5 Columbus Loss 4-3
January 7 Detroit Win 4-2
January 9 Nashville Loss 5-4
January 11 Dallas Win 5-1
January 13 Colorado Loss 3-2
January 16 St. Louis Loss 6-2
January 18 Edmonton Loss 4-1
January 19 Calgary Loss 3-2

Exactly as I said.

Carolina has already been covered and I'm not typing out the results to 21 games, but I was accurate there as well.

But hey, I'm sure those teams looked fantastic during those stretches.

Also, I don't know what you were thinking, CC12, but you had to know you'd get called out on that.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:01 AM
  #504
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Post hoc fallacy. Just because its happened in the past for others it doesn't assure it to work out for us.
Of course it doesn't. I never said we'd win. I said losing in January doesn't preclude a win. Which is not a falacy. It's proven exactly but the examples given.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
  #505
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,166
vCash: 500
* odds are that every team in the NHL will lose in the playoffs. Preseason the Caps were 5-1 to win the cup. Not a single team was even money.

* the regular season doesn't matter unless you lose. axium.

* unless you know why ovechkin and backstrom are not performing, you can't know what the odds are that they will return to form. i think the quality of play from the balance of the lineup has been outstanding of recent. the team is most definately not in the toilet. its the 3 big guns that are holding the team back.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
  #506
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
OK, just got home...

Anaheim:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/schedule.../anaheim-ducks

Dec 29 Carolina Loss 4-2
Dec 31 Minnesota Loss 4-3
January 2 Detroit Loss 2-1
January 5 Columbus Loss 4-3
January 7 Detroit Win 4-2
January 9 Nashville Loss 5-4
January 11 Dallas Win 5-1
January 13 Colorado Loss 3-2
January 16 St. Louis Loss 6-2
January 18 Edmonton Loss 4-1
January 19 Calgary Loss 3-2

Exactly as I said.

Carolina has already been covered and I'm not typing out the results to 21 games, but I was accurate there as well.

But hey, I'm sure those teams looked fantastic during those stretches.

Also, I don't know what you were thinking, CC12, but you had to know you'd get called out on that.
I answered that argument in an earlier post but not sure where it went. Anyhow, Carolina and Detroit were both late in the season when things were pretty wrapped up. Carolina finished like 54-22. Detroit even better. They had already proven themselves and were essentially biding time. We are in the middle of a season, playoff spot far from assured, and have lost 13 of 19 (since you are counting OT losses as losses when mentioning Carolina and Detroit). We have been shut out numerous times and humiliated in blowouts. Show me where either team had losses of 5-0, 5-0, and 7-0. We have high priced proven talent and have a dysfunctional offense struggling tomscore even 2 goals.

Now, let me give you two mexamples of teams that DID play poorly early on, and DID show little sign of shaking their woes who DID change coaches. Philly and Detroit. How did that turn out?

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
  #507
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I answered that argument in an earlier post but not sure where it went. Anyhow, Carolina and Detroit were both late in the season when things were pretty wrapped up. Carolina finished like 54-22. Detroit even better. They had already proven themselves and were essentially biding time. We are in the middle of a season, playoff spot far from assured, and have lost 13 of 19 (since you are counting OT losses as losses when mentioning Carolina and Detroit). We have been shut out numerous times and humiliated in blowouts. Show me where either team had losses of 5-0, 5-0, and 7-0. We have high priced proven talent and have a dysfunctional offense struggling tomscore even 2 goals.

Now, let me give you two mexamples of teams that DID play poorly early on, and DID show little sign of shaking their woes who DID change coaches. Philly and Detroit. How did that turn out?
I have no idea what you're talking about with Detroit, but Philly lost 13 of their last 21 (11 of their last 17) and made the playoffs by a point. Things hardly went according to plan. But yes, I'd agree if you find a better coach, certainly firing a coach doesn't hurt you. Look at Pittsburgh. Now, who's a better coach?

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:27 PM
  #508
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* odds are that every team in the NHL will lose in the playoffs. Preseason the Caps were 5-1 to win the cup. Not a single team was even money.

* the regular season doesn't matter unless you lose. axium.

* unless you know why ovechkin and backstrom are not performing, you can't know what the odds are that they will return to form. i think the quality of play from the balance of the lineup has been outstanding of recent. the team is most definately not in the toilet. its the 3 big guns that are holding the team back.
There's a forest behind those trees.

Of course odds are against you every year. The point is that this is playoff year 4, they've got more talent than they've ever had and they continue to make amateurish mistakes.

How can they win a Cup when they can't figure out how to play 60 minutes for more than 1 game at a time?

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 01:56 PM
  #509
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 40,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
There's a forest behind those trees.

Of course odds are against you every year. The point is that this is playoff year 4, they've got more talent than they've ever had and they continue to make amateurish mistakes.

How can they win a Cup when they can't figure out how to play 60 minutes for more than 1 game at a time?
all i know is that with the play they are getting from the middle to bottom of their lineup, from their rookies and goalies, and from their pk, with historical levels of production from two of three players(8-19-28) they run thru this league like crap thru a goose.

Without any of that, I dont understand why anyone would expect more that what we are seeing.

I dont understand how their effort can be questioned(beyond those star players mentioned). If the balance of the roster was not putting forth an effort, they would be dust. I certainly understand the amateurish mistakes because of the high percentage of young players, callups and frustrated players in the lineup.

all that said, all this team needs is Ov to be Ov and they are running roughshod over the league.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:03 PM
  #510
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Of course it doesn't. I never said we'd win. I said losing in January doesn't preclude a win. Which is not a falacy. It's proven exactly but the examples given.
I'm not writing the Caps off. If anything the Caps might of peaked too soon last year and they have plenty of time to turn it around this year. However, to continually reference the set teams you are is really trivial. There really isn't much in common with those team outside of the losing streaks.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
  #511
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about with Detroit, but Philly lost 13 of their last 21 (11 of their last 17) and made the playoffs by a point. Things hardly went according to plan. But yes, I'd agree if you find a better coach, certainly firing a coach doesn't hurt you. Look at Pittsburgh. Now, who's a better coach?
I don't know who would be better. But are you suggesting that Pittsburgh hired the last good coach? Sometimes you have to take a chance. I highly doubt things would get much worse. The risk of a change is minimal, worse case scenario you get another mediocre coach,

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:21 PM
  #512
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I'm not writing the Caps off. If anything the Caps might of peaked too soon last year and they have plenty of time to turn it around this year. However, to continually reference the set teams you are is really trivial. There really isn't much in common with those team outside of the losing streaks.
90% of this board: Cup winners don't look like this. Fire the coach.

Me: Over half the Cup winners since the lockout have looked like this.

Hardly trivial.

Nothing in common outside the losing streaks? Like what? Carolina had a very young goalie get hot in the playoffs. Hmm, we've got some young goalies. Anaheim had a lot of young players playing key 2nd line minutes. Hmm. I mean what exactly are you looking for?

People seem to be trying to claim that those teams somehow looked like they're were crapping raspberries during these losing streaks. They weren't. I'm sure their fans were worried. But it didn't matter, because the only thing that does matter is how they perform in the playoffs.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 02:26 PM
  #513
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Boys, as others have said, bearing us missing the PO's BB is not going anywhere, at least until the off season... lets talk about something else... like lazy OV and Semin.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 03:01 PM
  #514
Capitlols
Registered User
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
90% of this board: Cup winners don't look like this. Fire the coach.

Me: Over half the Cup winners since the lockout have looked like this.

Hardly trivial.

Nothing in common outside the losing streaks? Like what? Carolina had a very young goalie get hot in the playoffs. Hmm, we've got some young goalies. Anaheim had a lot of young players playing key 2nd line minutes. Hmm. I mean what exactly are you looking for?

People seem to be trying to claim that those teams somehow looked like they're were crapping raspberries during these losing streaks. They weren't. I'm sure their fans were worried. But it didn't matter, because the only thing that does matter is how they perform in the playoffs.
The three teams you referenced:

Detroit:
-Scotty Bowman was their coach.
-Had great leaders; Hull, Robataille, Yzerman, Chelios, Shanahan, etc.
-World class goalie, Hasek
-7th in PK, 2nd in PP
-Nothing much in comparison

Carolina:
-Again great leaders; Brind'Amour, Weight, Recchi, etc.
-Eric Staal was playing like their best player, matter of fact his best season ever.
-Young goalie comparable, comparable in special teams struggles

Anaheim:
-Again great leaders; Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, etc.
-Pronger-Niedermayer where eating up 27+ minutes per game
-top 5 in PK and PP
-Young forward comparable, though their best forward still played like their best forward(Selanne)

Carolina is probably the most comparable team, though still there are many more differences than similarities.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
  #515
troyerlaw
Life is party again
 
troyerlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I would venture to say we have more talent this season, no? Carlson, Alzner, Hannan? Some may argue Johanssen, who I think is really coming into his own.
that's true. one of the bright spots this year has been the youth, energy & promise of Carlson, Alzner, and MoJo. i like Matty P, too, and the spark which guys like A. Gordon, Jay Beagle, and Matt Hendricks have provided at key moments. the consensus on this board seems to be, it's the top guys who are letting us down.

i wouldn't strip AO of captaincy, though it might have beneficial, Marleau-type affect on his stats. on the other hand, if i were his coach, i would encourage him to pass the puck instantly and move to the net. teams certainly key on him, and the answer to this is generally to do more passing. i would also move him off the point on power play (a formation which has always given me heart palpitations), and stick him in front of net or along the half board.

the other thing i'm noticing this year -- and maybe it's always been this way, i don't know -- is that he & No. 19 aren't good at helping to clear our zone. their line always seems to get trapped longest in their own zone. maybe it's because AO is waiting for the breakout pass, i don't know.

oh well. as we saw with the pens' travails at Winter Classic and afterward, things can change overnight. here's hoping that AO, #19, and #28 all regain their form very soon, and that they team up with the young sparks cited above in order to make monumental playoff push.

GO, CAPS!!!

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
  #516
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
The three teams you referenced:

Detroit:
-Scotty Bowman was their coach.
-Had great leaders; Hull, Robataille, Yzerman, Chelios, Shanahan, etc.
-World class goalie, Hasek
-7th in PK, 2nd in PP
-Nothing much in comparison

Carolina:
-Again great leaders; Brind'Amour, Weight, Recchi, etc.
-Eric Staal was playing like their best player, matter of fact his best season ever.
-Young goalie comparable, comparable in special teams struggles

Anaheim:
-Again great leaders; Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne, etc.
-Pronger-Niedermayer where eating up 27+ minutes per game
-top 5 in PK and PP
-Young forward comparable, though their best forward still played like their best forward(Selanne)

Carolina is probably the most comparable team, though still there are many more differences than similarities.
Erm, Soctty Bowman wasn't Detroit's coach. He last coached them in 2001-02. And Hasek was anything but a world-class goalie. He wasn't even their #1 guy. And there were no Yzerman, Robitaille, Shanahan or Hull.

Edit: I guess you are talking about the 2001-02 team? mrwarden was talking post-lockout, no?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
  #517
Doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Washington Capitals hockey weekend

http://nhlhotstove.com/washington-ca...ockey-weekend/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.