HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Move Dubinsky to center with Gaborik

Old
01-18-2011, 10:58 AM
riz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3589 View Post
As someone suggested, I don't know why we haven't seen Gaborik-Stepan-Zuccarello for an extended period of time.
I would guess the coaching staff is a bit worried about the defensive coverage with a line like that. Two offensive-minded rookies (one of them at a disadvantage physically) paired with a natural sniper sounds a bit flaky in the defensive zone. Just saying.

I'd give an extended look to:

Wolski - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Zuccarello
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust
Avery - Drury - Weise/Newbury

When Callahan comes back, he replaces Zuccarello who is bumped into the 4th but still getting PP time. Yes, the Gaborik line still might be a bit questionable defensively but you could always switch Dubinsky/Wolski or even Fedotenko to mix things up if needed.

riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
Tonni

Hey John Tort! I don't know why we haven't seen Gaborik-Drury- Zuccarello or Wolski for an extended period of time. Why why why..

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Tonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:10 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

um dubi isnt a centerman. this is a stupid idea.

leave gaby with stepan. its gabys fault hes not producing not stepans. gaby needs to man up and start producing.

brandons a monster on the edge and finally coming into his own as a complete player without having to worry about the defensive responsabilities and playmaking creativity stuff that comes with the 1c.

let him go up and down the wing and keep doing his thing. changing dubi to center only weakens a team strength right now.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
i thought gabs has played with duby. either way, ok if they play together as long as the Wolski Steps Zucc line is in tact

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Tonni

Gaborik Drury Avery
Dubinsky Anisimov Fedotenko
Wolski Stepan Aasen
Prust Boyle Weise

Tonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
orland

Dubi is Not a Center

One of the best moves JTort has made as coach is to size Dubinsky up as a Left Wing, not a center. His skill set is so much more suited to wing than center and his performance since the move shows that.

This problem with Gaborik highlights what a disaster Drury has become for the Rangers. It is impossible to find a role for him where he contributes much. His only remaining skill seems to be as a decent penalty killer.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
Do not put Dubinsky at center. Let him take some faceoffs, he's better than Steps and Arty, but keep him at wing.

When Cally/EC come back, make Gabby earn back his top-line minutes:

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Christensen - Gaborik
Fedotenko - Boyle - Prust

For now:

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Wolski - Stepan - Zuccarello
Avery - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko - Drury - Weise

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I thought that it was wrong that Torts called out Gabby last year after the season he just in terms of carrying this team along with Hank down the stretch and on the cusp of the PO;s.

I now think that it's just as wrong that Torts has not put the man in street clothes for a game.

If he's hurt, sit.

If he's not hurt, then WTF is the problem?

Being snake bit is one thing. Giving a half arsed effort is another thing altogether.

Do not see him darting to the front of the net like he was doing last year, seems content to playing the perimeter more often than he should.

He needs to decide to take over a game and just shoot the ****** puck when he has it in the offensive zone.

The mindset with which he has played is so against the grain for the personality that this team has right now.

If he's not comfortable in this system, ask out, I'm sure we can find a taker.

I'd prefer that we keep him, I'd prefer that he want to stay, but crap or get off the pot already.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Another thing.

With Dubinsky having the season he is having, and being more of a shooter than a passer, what do you think is going to happen if you pair Gabby and Dubi up?

Gaborik is going to defer to Dubinsky to keep him going.

With the season that he's having, asking Brandon to change his game would be counter productive to him and the team.

Dubinsky should not be used to kick start Gabby.

Gaborik needs to start his own engine

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:32 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I hate Brooks... I truly think he's a touch away from being retarded.

Why would you jeopardize your best player by moving his position? Especially considering the coach has made it pretty clear that he's thought Dubinsky's best spot is LW.
Because hockey is a team sport. You try things when what you are trying isn't good enough. If Gaborik doesn't get going it won't matter a bit what kind of season Dubinsky has.

What's the big deal? You try something. If it doesn't work, you try something else. You're not jeapordizing anything when you shuffle lines. You're seeking solutions to very clear problems.

Or you could continue to score 2 goals a game and hope for the best. That's worked out real well so far.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonni View Post
Hey John Tort! I don't know why we haven't seen Gaborik-Drury- Zuccarello or Wolski for an extended period of time. Why why why..
Huh? We've seen about every combination possible. Drury now? The guy has no offense to his game and is on pace for a 32 SOG season. 32.

Its up to Gaborik to shake out of it IMO. He is an elite player. He should be making the players around HIM better and not the other way around.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by orland View Post
This problem with Gaborik highlights what a disaster Drury has become for the Rangers.
No, in this case the problem with Gaborik highlights what a disaster Gaborik has become for the Rangers.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
No, in this case the problem with Gaborik highlights what a disaster Gaborik has become for the Rangers.
yeah true.

drury needs no help being a disaster....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
SickNice

Quote:
Because hockey is a team sport. You try things when what you are trying isn't good enough. If Gaborik doesn't get going it won't matter a bit what kind of season Dubinsky has.

What's the big deal? You try something. If it doesn't work, you try something else. You're not jeapordizing anything when you shuffle lines. You're seeking solutions to very clear problems.

Or you could continue to score 2 goals a game and hope for the best. That's worked out real well so far.
Have to agree here. I could care less if Dubi has 70 points and the team finishes 7th en route to a first round exit where they score all of 6 goals in 5 games. Given the team's play, it's worth taking a shot on it, even if its only a game or two or a few shifts.

As Chosen said, its a team sport. If moving Dubi to center results in him contributing to five less goals, but helps Gaborik / whoever produce 10 more goals, it's worth it. It may not be ideal, but it's best for the team if it works. It may fail miserably, but everything else has recently, so maybe its worth a shot (at the very least, its worthy of a discssion)

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Dubinsky has flourished at LW, leave him at LW and put him with Gabby...which has been tried...no need to put him at center....no need at all. Gabby needs to sort out Gabby. I don't know if it's a sore groin or a sore shoulder or both or neither or in his head. Either way, he's not skating as well and he's not shooting as well either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yeah true.

drury needs no help being a disaster....
Total BS that MSG gives Drury a free ride all the time. Before the Philly game they bring up Drury hasn't scored yet but he's put up 28 points in 40 games against Philadelphia, then go to a commercial break. When they come back they go over a long list of guys that need to score, conveniently Cap'n Clutch, isn't one of them....total BS. His name needs to be up there with the rest of them and he shouldn't get **** of credit for playing well against Philly in the past...that's total BS.

Last edited by vipernsx: 01-18-2011 at 01:13 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
94now

I disagree Dubi is having a productive year because of position he is playing. He's just having a good year, period. If not this year, then when? I think he can be useful anywhere. His movement to wing worked when he was having down year. Also it was needed for future contract talks, winger always makes less, so Sather may hint to Torts that. Now he can be moved to C, but I don't think Gaborik will benefit from it. MZA could, though.

Gaborik has been done after shoulder injury. He may be done as a scorer for ever, who knows... The only thing is certain is no one can have confidence in his game w/o confidence in his own body. Those who played know that so called quick release comes with tremendous power a shooter places with his upper body on the stick shaft. For young or just body-able star player it is an easy thing, but for one with bad shoulder not so. Jagr lost his slapper, while Gabo has no snap shot. No center will help that. Just see what Ovechkin is like after he hurt his shoulder.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Pizza

Quote:
That's a bit strong and negative imo.

There is still a lot of season left and the Rangers have generated a ton of positives this year.

Gaborick will snap out of this. I'm confident of that.

If not, then you can drop him into the disaster category.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

I predicted 25 goals and was attacked just not so long ago. It is far from disaster. Or... is it?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:

It would matter because the bottom line is that we've won a lot of games without Gaborik being in good form.

There is too much to lose in a move like that.

Dubinsky has shown in his entire career to be a little fragile in terms of confidence. Don't risk screwing that up.

And imo, Gabby will be fine. I think he struggled earlier in the year because he wasn't playing well. Now I think he's playing well, just struggling to get results. That will change...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
That's a bit strong and negative imo.

There is still a lot of season left and the Rangers have generated a ton of positives this year.

My assessment is based on what we have seen, not on what we may still see later this season. I am not declaring Gaborik's season a disaster but to say his season to date isn't a disaster is just wrong.

If he snaps out fine, but indicators so far are almost scary as to where this situation is headed.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
cally4captain

I've wanted Tortorella to try Dubinsky and Gaborik together for quite a while now. And when I say "try", I do not mean for just one or two games. He needs to give them time to work together to form chemistry. I think Dubi and Gabs compliment each other's game, and if they are put together on the same line for a while, there is a good chance they will start to produce. For once, Brooks makes a good point that Torts should take into consideration.

cally4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
bscharf

so you want to move our biggest scoring threat to center?

seems a bit counter productive

bscharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
It would matter because the bottom line is that we've won a lot of games without Gaborik being in good form.

There is too much to lose in a move like that.

Dubinsky has shown in his entire career to be a little fragile in terms of confidence. Don't risk screwing that up.

And imo, Gabby will be fine. I think he struggled earlier in the year because he wasn't playing well. Now I think he's playing well, just struggling to get results. That will change...
The old Dubi was fragile. That Dubi is long gone. He plays with tremendous confidence now.

Dubi has learned a skill that Jagr was one of the best at: the ability to keep his body between the opposing player and the puck. Not sure if he learned it from Jagr but it's a good guess that he did.

While Jagr was much bigger and had an enormous butt to help him, Dubi has mastered the art of taking a hit while having the puck and maintaining control of the puck.

Where Dubi's topside lies is unclear, but don't worry about him anymore. He has gone from boy to solid young man on the ice.

It's great that everyone thinks Gabs will be just fine, and that may turn out to be true, but I'm guessing that very few are as confident in Gabs turning it around as they previously felt.

There is nothing to lose ever in an attempted modification of the alignment of your team.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

I mean, I wouldn't mind trying it out since Dubinsky played so well with Jagr 3 years back. But at the same time why would we move our leading point scorer out of a position where he has thrived all year long

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I mean, I wouldn't mind trying it out since Dubinsky played so well with Jagr 3 years back. But at the same time why would we move our leading point scorer out of a position where he has thrived all year long
I don't see why people use this as a justification for this move.

"Dubinsky did well with a big puck-protector who loved to grind along the boards and was more of a playmaker than a shooter (in his time here). Therefore, he would do well with a speedy sniper who is pretty ineffective along the boards and whose shot is his deadliest attribute."

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote