HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2011, 12:06 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
From what I recall, Wheeler isn't having a great season. It shouldn't cost a guy like Simmonds to get him and if it does, you pass.
I agree, I wouldn't give up Simmonds for Wheeler. Might consider moving a young defenseman (not Hickey or Voynov) for Wheeler though.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Statistically they are very close with Wheeler actually having a slight edge to Simmonds. Agewise they are close as well.

Simmonds has not had a great season either...the wildcard here might be the locker room impact or the "rumors" of Simmonds off-ice antics. Not sure if any of that is true but where there is smoke...

It actually may cost Hickey and Simmonds to get Wheeler. Boston should have to pay LA to take Ryder and Savard.

Meh. I watch a lot of Bruin games and Wheeler is a nonfactor. We don't need need another one of those. I would much rather just keep Simmonds.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree, I wouldn't give up Simmonds for Wheeler. Might consider moving a young defenseman (not Hickey or Voynov) for Wheeler though.
Yeah, at most, I'd give up a young defenseman and a pick. Wasn't it rumored a while back the Bruins had asked for Hickey or Voinov in a potential trade? I think one of those guys would have to go back.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
sounds like a massive salary dump for Boston while at the same time addressing some of LA's needs. Both sides come away with something they want/need. Could happen but I don't think the Kings take on $13 million in salary between those three players. Savard at $7 million and Ryder at $4 million are just bad contracts. Wheeler for Simmonds would be interesting.
Don't forget that the salary and cap figures are prorated by day so the team making the acquisition wouldn't be taking on the full value like you're calculating there.

Use this page and look at the column under "Remaining" to get an idea of at least the cap implications.

Old
01-18-2011, 12:57 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Savard's 7 years left even if it were at a more reasonable number is an absolute albatross and I would easily pass. The bruins made that mess and while Savard is a talented player that contract is a toxic waste dump of a mistake, doubly so when you add in the fact that he has a nmc agreement in it.

Huge pass to my way of thinking.

Ryder would be somewhat interesting but if we were to pick him up we would have to move one of our increasingly average wings to get him and then again ask ourselves why would any team do such a thing unless there was some real reason at the end.

Old
01-18-2011, 01:07 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Savard's 7 years left even if it were at a more reasonable number is an absolute albatross and I would easily pass. The bruins made that mess and while Savard is a talented player that contract is a toxic waste dump of a mistake, doubly so when you add in the fact that he has a nmc agreement in it.

Huge pass to my way of thinking.

Ryder would be somewhat interesting but if we were to pick him up we would have to move one of our increasingly average wings to get him and then again ask ourselves why would any team do such a thing unless there was some real reason at the end.
Agree on Savard...toxic

Ryder might be worth a 3rd or a 4th...UFA on an expiring contract

Wheeler has real value given his size, talent, and age

Old
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Meh. I watch a lot of Bruin games and Wheeler is a nonfactor. We don't need need another one of those. I would much rather just keep Simmonds.
How many Bruin games do you really watch? Wheeler's been used in a ton of roles on a very good team and has done what's asked in each. He's all starting to put up points. I'm not saying the Kings would do a Simmonds/Wheeler swap, but Wheeler brings a lot more versatility to the table.

Old
01-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
How many Bruin games do you really watch? Wheeler's been used in a ton of roles on a very good team and has done what's asked in each. He's all starting to put up points. I'm not saying the Kings would do a Simmonds/Wheeler swap, but Wheeler brings a lot more versatility to the table.
I don't watch them all. But, when I do, I hardly notice him out there. Sometimes that might not be a bad thing. But, what I have seen, I'm not that impressed to trade a roster player for him.

I wouldn't mind moving a dman prospect for him though like others said.

Old
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Ollie Weeks

From the Bruins board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

First off you cant go by what King's fans are saying about Hickey. Ask people that watch these guys for a living and get their take, and often times its different from what fans think. Look no further than our own board. In every thread you will find people say "Wheeler sucks" (Hickey for LA) and then there are those that truly understand the game and see him for what he's worth.

As for what would it take?

Well when the Sturm trade went down, some of you will recall i called it a "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours trade" and to expect something else down the road as it wasnt a Sturm for nothing trade. In other words, Lombardi says this is the trade i want to make and Chia says well you have to help me now because i cant wait and i have to clear cap space. Lombardi says ok we'll take him off your hands now as part of deal B later. Think about it logically for a moment. The deal fell through because Sturm wasn't ready. Okay fine. 29 other teams would have said forget it, but they worked it through. IMO the initial Sturm trade is included in the potential next trade.

Now, throw this into the equation : Greeley (LA's head pro scout) has been at 4 consecutive Bruins games. He also had with him at least 1 other scout and on one occasion Lombardi himself. They are not in Boston to look at prospects they are there to scout the pro roster. If it were Toronto scouting the Bruins i'd call it coincidence because they have over half a dozen pro scouts. LA has 3, and 2 of them have been at Bruins games for the last four games when they should have been scouting other teams. That, is not coincidence.

Finally on the LA talk, i know for a fact one other team has inquired about Simmonds. That is the jist of the conversation i had with someone who would know, and all he would say is they've inquired. Does it mean Simmonds is available? No. But when someone in LA (who is also the same person that told me that they were going to be acquiring Sturm in the near future) says that the Kings would be willing to part with Simmonds in the right package, and someone from a totally different organization says that they've inquired about Simmonds, then i have to think that Lombardi has put the word out that just about anyone is available (save the obvious JJ, Doughty, Quick etc). And since they are scouting Boston much more than any other team then 2 + 2 really does equal 4.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=866035&page=12

Some neat discussion in there.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
damacles1156

Wheeler is a solid young player. But I wouldn't give up Hickey+Simmonds for him. A swap for Hickey or Simmonds sounds fair price.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

So SJ picks up Eager and Wellwood today, even though they aren't big moves atleast their GM ****ing does something.

I would of loved Eager, he's having a down year but he's much better than Westgarth.

Old
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So SJ picks up Eager and Wellwood today, even though they aren't big moves atleast their GM ****ing does something.

I would of loved Eager, he's having a down year but he's much better than Westgarth.
Not sure how that helps SJ, that is making moves for the sake of making them.

SJ is in desperate need of a D man that can eat up twenty minutes a night.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:

Here's the thing, the grass is always greener. If DL would have done the same thing, picking up Eager and Wellwood, we would have all gotten our pitch forks out. Wellwood has been bounced around, is always out of shape and even sucked it up in the KHL. Who is he going to replace on our roster. Remember, you can't send him down since he signed after December 15th.

Eager has been a healthy scratch for Atlanta and has said to be a bit of a hot head lately. He was just suspended for punching Colby Armstrong. Atlanta fans are celebrating because he's off their team. Is this a guy we want in our room right now?

Right now, we need to do something, but picking up other's cast offs isn't it. Isn't that what we always do? Isn't it time to actually try and get a player of substance?

Old
01-18-2011, 03:14 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Not sure how that helps SJ, that is making moves for the sake of making them.

SJ is in desperate need of a D man that can eat up twenty minutes a night.
Exactly, and it would have been the same if we would have tried to land them. San Jose is now over the cap with these moves, which makes no sense. They're going to have to send someone down or someone must be going on LTIR. It's a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
damacles1156

The biggest Mistake SJ made (in my opinion) was extending Patty M. He basically cost SJ that big D man they needed with his cap hit.

That first line of SJ is really playing like Garbage. Patty M would have been much better off on a different team, the sharks would be better off as well.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I'd love Eager on this team, the lineup would finally have someone with a pair.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Martyros

Quote:

So.....Lombardi should pick of Hollweg and an overweight 3rd liner just for the sake of "doing something"?
Eager's not the fighter he used to be.
On a side note, Thrashers need to get tougher and protect Evander Kane....yet they deal away a *tough* guy.....Eager must have REALLY fallen out of favor.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Here's the thing, the grass is always greener. If DL would have done the same thing, picking up Eager and Wellwood, we would have all gotten our pitch forks out. Wellwood has been bounced around, is always out of shape and even sucked it up in the KHL. Who is he going to replace on our roster. Remember, you can't send him down since he signed after December 15th.

Eager has been a healthy scratch for Atlanta and has said to be a bit of a hot head lately. He was just suspended for punching Colby Armstrong. Atlanta fans are celebrating because he's off their team. Is this a guy we want in our room right now?

Right now, we need to do something, but picking up other's cast offs isn't it. Isn't that what we always do? Isn't it time to actually try and get a player of substance?
Good post, I know all of us our frustrated but to think that "DL needs to get anyone that's available" is absurd.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
So.....Lombardi should pick of Hollweg and an overweight 3rd liner just for the sake of "doing something"?
Eager's not the fighter he used to be.
On a side note, Thrashers need to get tougher and protect Evander Kane....yet they deal away a *tough* guy.....Eager must have REALLY fallen out of favor.
I don't even know why people are complaining. Isn't that all Dean picks up? I mean the Kings entire roster IS 3rd liners and Tough guys. According to most of the HF board.
So now everyone is Piss#$% when he passes on a couple of those guys ?

So which is it? I am confused.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
(cue picture of Kane knocking out Matt Cooke)

Kane doesn't strike me as a guy that needs somebody to protect him. From the sounds of it, Eager was taking too many bad penalties to justify his role as an energy line winger. Patrice Cormier has seemingly cracked their lineup full time now and fills in a spot as a physical forward. Ditto Spencer Machacek who plays an agitating style and represents a little more offense than Eager.

Old
01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
What about waiving Westgarth and calling up Moller?

Old
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I am all for that, just sick of watching Westgarth on the ice. But don't expect TM to use Moller effectively right....right...

Old
01-18-2011, 04:04 PM
DeeMeck

Might as well waive Ponikarovsky and call up Loktionov too.

Sure would open up alot of dollars for a trade.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Not going to happen.

Ask Johnny Utah to post the Lombardi quotes he used when he and I were arguing about goons.

The Kings organizational philosophy is to not only have a goon on the roster but to play him more often than not.

Old
01-18-2011, 05:10 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
If the Boston rumors have some truth to them, then... That's interesting. I don't see Savard waiving his clause to come out West and to a team that is fighting for a play off spot when the Bruins are sitting second in the East. Not going to happen. Guys like Ryder and Wheeler would be of some help, but the team is full of guys like that. The only top guy that they have that the Kings would be lucky to have, is Krejci. I don't know how available he is, but I imagine Lombardi and co. scouting so many Bruins games because of a player of his caliber. They know all about Savard, Ryder, and Wheeler, so...
Of course, has anyone asked the question whether the Boston scouts are at the Kings games? If not, either a draft pick or prospect goes the other way...probably for Ryder. And it wouldn't be that much.

Closed Thread