HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Family matters for Flyers' Briere, Giroux

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2011, 09:45 AM
  #1
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Family matters for Flyers' Briere, Giroux

They sound like Ernie and Bert ..

Good to see we have players that like each other even if they shop for furniture together...




Quote:
IT SOUNDS like a sitcom.

It would make a helluva reality show.

"Three boys, two dogs and two hockey players," I said to Danny Briere after Flyers practice yesterday. "Whaddaya think?"

"Five hockey players," Briere corrected. "The kids play, too. There's not a day of the week when there's no hockey. Every single day of the week, there's at least one practice."

That's in addition to getting his three young sons to and from school, feeding and walking Zoey the bulldog and Zora the Boston terrier, and keeping Briere's large South Jersey house, which he held on to after splitting with his wife last year, tidy.

So why would Claude Giroux, 23-year-old bachelor and budding star, want in on that?

"I was living by myself," he said. "Sometimes it's lonely and you don't have much to do.

"That's not a problem now."

No, sirree. Briere's three boys, ages 9 through 12, spend a good chunk of time at the house when the team is home, and tonight's game against the Washington Capitals begins a 10-game stretch in which eight will be played at the Wells Fargo Center.

That's more than 2 weeks' worth of great reality television. Established star, emerging star, Caelan, Carson and Cameron, Zoey and Zora.

If only they would all agree to do it.

In our last episode, for example, Claude decided the guest room adjacent to his needed some upgrades, including a new mattress. Danny needed some things for the boys' rooms as well, so off they went, together, to Raymour & Flanigan.

"They see us come in together, shopping for furniture together," Briere said. "And they're, like, two Flyers shopping together? For furniture? And they started laughing. They said, 'You guys are just like a couple.' "

There are significant differences, of course. Briere is 33, in his 13th season as an NHL player, one of his best so far. He has scored 24 goals and is tied with Mike Richards for the club lead with 40 points.

One point behind is the playmaking Giroux, who in 2 short years has gone from a guy often mistaken for a stick boy to one of the more popular Flyers - in every sense of the word.

"We have rules," Briere said with a smirk. "Especially when the boys have school the next day."


Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1BOziwmXA

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
  #2
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I wonder if Briere has his kids all the time. I had assumed that his ex wife would take them most of the time during the hockey season when Danny is busy and he would be with them more during the off season

edit:
Quote:
Outside, he's pretty helpful, too. Briere's wife is still in the area, still involved in raising the kids. But there have been holes in the coverage, times when the kids needed a lift from school.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1BP1n62KK
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Makes sense that she is still around to help

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
  #3
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
***********


Last edited by FreshPerspective: 01-18-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Edited by Moderator..
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
  #4
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Leave Briere's ex-wife out of the dialogue, please and thank you.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:09 AM
  #5
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Glad there's more on this. The thing on 6 was cool, but was so short. Donnellon isn't the beat writer, so it's tough to bash him for taking a story from TV, but why can't the beat writers pull off a feature like this?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:12 AM
  #6
Cmoneyflyguy
Registered User
 
Cmoneyflyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wayne, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 2,141
vCash: 500

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
  #7
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
This crossed my mind, but mostly because of how the article was written.

But I can't fault Giroux for not wanting to live in the city and around the party group of the Flyers. It seems he is taking is career and life more seriously than some of the others.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
  #8
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
1 and 4 half-men?

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:32 PM
  #9
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,455
vCash: 500
Hockey players are weird. Their living situation certainly isn't as weird as when Crosby was living in Lemieux's crawl space under the basement stairs.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 12:50 PM
  #10
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Hockey players are weird. Their living situation certainly isn't as weird as when Crosby was living in Lemieux's crawl space under the basement stairs.
I do find it odd....doesn't Ovechkin still live with his parents? How do these guys get laid? Doesn't it cramp their style? Hotels I suppose? I guess it beats riding around the neighborhood a few times and taking weird roads so the random hook ups don't know exactly where you live...

I'm not sure but I like living on my own with the occassional being in a relationship and being a bachelor again cycle.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM
  #11
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Hockey players are weird. Their living situation certainly isn't as weird as when Crosby was living in Lemieux's crawl space under the basement stairs.
Wait, hold on a minute. He lived in the crawl space?? Lemieux didn't have a big enough house to offer him a guest room? Sounds like Harry Potter.

I also thought of the Crosby thing too when I heard about it, but that was when he first came into the league. He lived with Mario as a mentor-esque experience. He doesn't live with him anymore.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
  #12
AaronTrieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I do find it odd....doesn't Ovechkin still live with his parents? How do these guys get laid? Doesn't it cramp their style? Hotels I suppose? I guess it beats riding around the neighborhood a few times and taking weird roads so the random hook ups don't know exactly where you live...

I'm not sure but I like living on my own with the occassional being in a relationship and being a bachelor again cycle.
no, ovies parents just stay with him when they are in the states. and while they are there they help take care of this for him.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
  #13
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
You realize that all the guys we are talking about are only 23-25 years old. I am currently living at home at the age of 24, it sucks, but I am sure it wouldn't suck if I could put my parents up in an adjacent condo and have them take care of stuff for me and allow them to never have to work again. I am sure if they are mackin' it in the city they just post up at one of the guest rooms in Olde City or a hotel. You act like they don't all have a handful of other friends where they hang out who have copious beds for sharing time with plenty of women. Just saying, living at home with parents/with another older player in a larger house isn't really cramping anyone's dating efforts.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
  #14
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I do find it odd....doesn't Ovechkin still live with his parents? How do these guys get laid? Doesn't it cramp their style? Hotels I suppose? I guess it beats riding around the neighborhood a few times and taking weird roads so the random hook ups don't know exactly where you live...

I'm not sure but I like living on my own with the occassional being in a relationship and being a bachelor again cycle.
With Briere's three boys in the picture, another person should make little difference... Besides, my guess is his Haddonfield Estate is roomy enough to allow for much privacy... Maybe the servants quarters could be used; send them out for dinner and a movie.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
  #15
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
You realize that all the guys we are talking about are only 23-25 years old. I am currently living at home at the age of 24, it sucks, but I am sure it wouldn't suck if I could put my parents up in an adjacent condo and have them take care of stuff for me and allow them to never have to work again. I am sure if they are mackin' it in the city they just post up at one of the guest rooms in Olde City or a hotel. You act like they don't all have a handful of other friends where they hang out who have copious beds for sharing time with plenty of women. Just saying, living at home with parents/with another older player in a larger house isn't really cramping anyone's dating efforts.
So you are comparing yourself with millionaires? Living with parents and siblings should cramp one's sex life unless you're Will Farell and yell at your mom to get you meatloaf...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
  #16
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
You realize that all the guys we are talking about are only 23-25 years old. I am currently living at home at the age of 24, it sucks, but I am sure it wouldn't suck if I could put my parents up in an adjacent condo and have them take care of stuff for me and allow them to never have to work again. I am sure if they are mackin' it in the city they just post up at one of the guest rooms in Olde City or a hotel. You act like they don't all have a handful of other friends where they hang out who have copious beds for sharing time with plenty of women. Just saying, living at home with parents/with another older player in a larger house isn't really cramping anyone's dating efforts.
If you bide your time... you can have a ball after they go to a nursing home.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:07 PM
  #17
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
So you are comparing yourself with millionaires? Living with parents and siblings should cramp one's sex life unless you're Will Farell and yell at your mom to get you meatloaf...
I am saying if I was a millionaire, and I had friends who were millionaires and I partied with them, I'd crash at one of their guest rooms, and then go back to the quiet life for the days when I want it. Hell I could have a second house simply for spending the night with ladies at one of those Condo's that are almost like hotels with cleaning services and such, then come home to a nice home cooked meal on nights when I need to take a break from tricks and hoes.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:19 PM
  #18
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I am saying if I was a millionaire, and I had friends who were millionaires and I partied with them, I'd crash at one of their guest rooms, and then go back to the quiet life for the days when I want it. Hell I could have a second house simply for spending the night with ladies at one of those Condo's that are almost like hotels with cleaning services and such, then come home to a nice home cooked meal on nights when I need to take a break from tricks and hoes.
I see your point....I guess I'm somewhat removed from that mindset now that I'm in my mid 30's although by my mid 20's I had a career, my own place and was tired of rooming. Plus I liked being independent and didn't like my parents doing stuff for me although it's a nice luxury. I know these days it's a totally different economy....I actually feel bad for 20 somethings now..tons of debt and lousy job prospects. It's also not fair when people call them bums etc who mooch off their parents although that element exists.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
  #19
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
I mean, don't get me wrong, I dislike living at home, but if I had the means to dictate where myself and my parents lived, then I'd be a bit more OK with it, and the millions of dollars helps too.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 02:59 PM
  #20
BlackDog13
Registered User
 
BlackDog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Hockey players are used to the extended family dynamic, they generally room with families other than their own while in junior.

As for those in a rush to move out, I lived in my Father's house until the day I got married (at which time I was 3 months shy of my 31st birthday) Had I not married my wife (just passed our 19th anniversary) I probably would have stayed home indefinitely.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 03:04 PM
  #21
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog13 View Post
Hockey players are used to the extended family dynamic, they generally room with families other than their own while in junior.

As for those in a rush to move out, I lived in my Father's house until the day I got married (at which time I was 3 months shy of my 31st birthday) Had I not married my wife (just passed our 19th anniversary) I probably would have stayed home indefinitely.
Definitely depends on the family dynamic...I personally had to get the eff out...my father is one big pain but always been the independent type regardless. I still think though that going out on your own if you have the means to do so is a character builder but if you are a millionaire youngster playing in the NHL I guess it's kind of a moot point of sorts....you build your character from a team concept..nothing wrong with that.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
  #22
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I don't mind living at home, but I can't wait to not live at home (moving out may 1st ).

Roo and Briere make sense to be friends as they are both french. Giroux doesn't seem like much of a playa to me so I'm sure it doesn't matter

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:08 PM
  #23
BlackDog13
Registered User
 
BlackDog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Definitely depends on the family dynamic...I personally had to get the eff out...my father is one big pain but always been the independent type regardless. I still think though that going out on your own if you have the means to do so is a character builder but if you are a millionaire youngster playing in the NHL I guess it's kind of a moot point of sorts....you build your character from a team concept..nothing wrong with that.
I was very fortunate to have a great relationship with my father, had I not I'm sure the impetus to move out would have been stronger. One point I left out here is that my mother died young and while I had as strong a relationship with her as I did my dad, I would have definitely felt like the 5th wheel and gotten out on my own.

BlackDog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
  #24
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Giroux isn't a party guy, and misses his family life back home. It's not like the kid is a 35 year old fully grown man. More players should actually do this, especially younger players.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
  #25
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Wait, hold on a minute. He lived in the crawl space?? Lemieux didn't have a big enough house to offer him a guest room? Sounds like Harry Potter.

I also thought of the Crosby thing too when I heard about it, but that was when he first came into the league. He lived with Mario as a mentor-esque experience. He doesn't live with him anymore.
Oh he certainly does still live with him. In fact, it was big news this summer that he bought a house (near Mario, can't cut the apron strings) and still hadn't moved out and wasn't in a rush to.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.