HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Martyros

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't even know why people are complaining. Isn't that all Dean picks up? I mean the Kings entire roster IS 3rd liners and Tough guys. According to most of the HF board.
So now everyone is Piss#$% when he passes on a couple of those guys ?

So which is it? I am confused.
Our roster may be filled with 3rd liners....doesn't mean Lombardi has to add even MORE 3rd liners to kick out Lewis/Richardson/Clifford.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Our roster may be filled with 3rd liners....doesn't mean Lombardi has to add even MORE 3rd liners to kick out Lewis/Richardson/Clifford.
I think that is a pretty ideal 4th line. Richardson and Clifford are not top 6 players on competing teams.

Smyth-Kopi Williams
Sturm-Stoll*-Brown
Poni**-Zus-Simmonds
Lewis-Richie-Clifford

* Stoll has done a decent job but there is room for improvement there. If we upgrade there that could potentially make our 4th line Richie-Stoll/Zus-Clifford

** Poni is the really glaring weak link IMO. Zus and Simmonds can carry a scorer there. another Sturm-like LW and I think our forwards are solid. Even if we added a scoring RW Brown could move over.

I do think this needs to be addressed, and I don't think we can afford to wait for the deadline.

Old
01-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Not going to happen.

Ask Johnny Utah to post the Lombardi quotes he used when he and I were arguing about goons.

The Kings organizational philosophy is to not only have a goon on the roster but to play him more often than not.
I know, just wishful thinking.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:04 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Savard's 7 years left even if it were at a more reasonable number is an absolute albatross and I would easily pass. The bruins made that mess and while Savard is a talented player that contract is a toxic waste dump of a mistake, doubly so when you add in the fact that he has a nmc agreement in it.

Huge pass to my way of thinking.

Ryder would be somewhat interesting but if we were to pick him up we would have to move one of our increasingly average wings to get him and then again ask ourselves why would any team do such a thing unless there was some real reason at the end.
Savard has not been good this year and he got his head smashed again this past weekend. No thanks. Ryder is Mark Parrish part II. Ryder is not a player you want to plug into Murray's system, it won't work.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Exactly, and it would have been the same if we would have tried to land them. San Jose is now over the cap with these moves, which makes no sense. They're going to have to send someone down or someone must be going on LTIR. It's a bit of a head scratcher to me.
SJ has a few injuries and needed bodies to fill out their roster.

Old
01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Let's see if Lombardi will get grilled by EJ Hradek tomorrow morning on NHL Live.
Quote:
LAKings LA Kings
Dean Lombardi is scheduled to be the guest on @nhllive tomorrow, Tuesday, at 10 a.m. (PT) with @DebMSG and @EJ_HradekESPN. Enjoy!

Old
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Let's see if Lombardi will get grilled by EJ Hradek tomorrow morning on NHL Live.
Today is Tuesday.. was he on today or was that a typo?

Old
01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Today is Tuesday.. was he on today or was that a typo?
It was tweeted 30 minutes ago. Guessing it was a typo.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:01 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I agree regarding SJ I am happy we didn't pick up either of those two really.

Old
01-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Anyone know if NHL Liv is on the XM hockey channel "Home Ice"?

Old
01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

TFP twitter,

"Lots of chatter stemming out of Kings camp. Trade could be near."

Old
01-18-2011, 10:44 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
TFP twitter,

Maybe, but the rumormongers always select the teams that are taking a dive. TFP isn't exactly a reliable source on trades. Now if Dreger starts saying it, that's another story.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
TFP twitter,

Yeah right, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Statistically they are very close with Wheeler actually having a slight edge to Simmonds. Agewise they are close as well.

Simmonds has not had a great season either...the wildcard here might be the locker room impact or the "rumors" of Simmonds off-ice antics. Not sure if any of that is true but where there is smoke...

It actually may cost Hickey and Simmonds to get Wheeler. Boston should have to pay LA to take Ryder and Savard.
Wheeler for Simmonds doesn't make sense imho.

They're very similar players, Simmonds with more physical bite, Wheeler with more versatility, but otherwise pretty similar talents, age and upside. Swapping Wheeler for Simmonds isn't going to be any big gain for LA and adding Hickey to Providence isn't a big enough reason to break up something that's working in Boston. Even the cap savings isn't significant because it's less than $2m, pro-rated to a third of the season.

Old
01-18-2011, 10:55 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Savard's 7 years left even if it were at a more reasonable number is an absolute albatross and I would easily pass. The bruins made that mess and while Savard is a talented player that contract is a toxic waste dump of a mistake, doubly so when you add in the fact that he has a nmc agreement in it.
If you're a big market team, Savard's contract is one of the best in the NHL. The NHL basically outlawed deals like this because they were so advantageous cap-wise.

If healthy, you're getting a 70-80 point center with a $4m cap hit for just 3 years. Matt freakin' Lombardi signed over the summer for $4m!

If you think his game is deteriorating in year 3, you can just send him to the minors for an avg of $800k (if he doesn't outright retire). It's not a 35+ deal. His NTC expands to include more teams each year until it's gone in year 4. All the power in this deal is in the hands of the team.

That's how Bruins fans viewed it anyways.

And the only reason the B's are entertaining moving him is because they were able to draft Tyler Seguin (who's had to play wing), and Krejci and Bergeron are younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Savard has not been good this year and he got his head smashed again this past weekend. No thanks.
Yeah, Savard really got his head squashed between Engelland's shoulder and the dasher. Had a big red mark across his face afterwards. BUT, he didn't miss a shift, and even assisted on the game tying goal later in the game. I'd say that was a heckuva good test.

I don't disagree that he hasn't gotten up to full speed yet, but his injury prevented him from working out. He had no training camp. He's had to come into the season cold and play his way back into game shape and get his timing back on the fly.

But with all that said, he looks better and more like his old self every game, and is coming on strong right now with 3 points in his last 4 games (+4).

I think you guys would be rewarded big time by buying low on Savard and trading Simmonds for him. The B's would save cap space that they could use on a pmD like Kaberle, and they'd be able to move Seguin to center where he's most comfortable. And you'd get a legit 1b center behind Kopitar who could give you the talent down the middle to compete with the Sedin/Kesler, Toews/Sharp, Thornton/Pavelski's...

Old
01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If he isn't...I have a feeling a lot of callers will peel his skin back a few feet...

Old
01-18-2011, 11:19 PM
tomd

5 problems with trading for Savard:
1. He has a NTC which he is unlikely to waive to come west
2. He is not young by NHL standards at 33 1/2 and this is his 2nd straight injury plagued year.
3. His contract runs for six more years AFTER this year. Even if you send him to the minors he is cash out the door. And per Capgeek, his AHL salary would be the same as his NHL salary for the duration of his contract. Not sure where the discount after 3 years applies.
4. Schenn or Loktionov are going to be knocking on the door for the #2 center spot as early as next year. Savard's presence blocks their development.
5. Trading a 22 year old like Simmonds for all of the above problems just adds insult to injury.

Otherwise, no problem.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:23 PM
ShattStar03

Matt Barry: One of the players has been asked to be dealt

Old
01-18-2011, 11:23 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Wheeler for Simmonds doesn't make sense imho.

They're very similar players, Simmonds with more physical bite, Wheeler with more versatility, but otherwise pretty similar talents, age and upside. Swapping Wheeler for Simmonds isn't going to be any big gain for LA and adding Hickey to Providence isn't a big enough reason to break up something that's working in Boston. Even the cap savings isn't significant because it's less than $2m, pro-rated to a third of the season.
Agree that it only works if Boston has a thing for Hickey/Simmonds. I was simply using the players addressed in the rumor. No way that DL trades Hickey/Simmonds for Savard and/or Ryder. Not his style and way too much risk (Savard's contract is a disaster and Ryder would play 35 games for the Kings and move on next year).

Old
01-18-2011, 11:25 PM
KingsCourt

oh great...more stupid rumors coming...DL will not do anything, stop getting your panties in a knot.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Rumor on On the Fly is that Alfredsson is on the block from Ottawa. Could be a nice option but I don't think he'll come cheap.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:29 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Rumor on On the Fly is that Alfredsson is on the block from Ottawa. Could be a nice option but I don't think he'll come cheap.
If this were 2001 he would be a good fit on the Kings. But he is 38 years old for God's sake! Unless he were the "final" piece in the Kings puzzle - and he isn't - then what would be the point of him coming to LA?

Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
If you're a big market team, Savard's contract is one of the best in the NHL. The NHL basically outlawed deals like this because they were so advantageous cap-wise.

If healthy, you're getting a 70-80 point center with a $4m cap hit for just 3 years. Matt freakin' Lombardi signed over the summer for $4m!

If you think his game is deteriorating in year 3, you can just send him to the minors for an avg of $800k (if he doesn't outright retire). It's not a 35+ deal. His NTC expands to include more teams each year until it's gone in year 4. All the power in this deal is in the hands of the team.

That's how Bruins fans viewed it anyways.

And the only reason the B's are entertaining moving him is because they were able to draft Tyler Seguin (who's had to play wing), and Krejci and Bergeron are younger.
See to me the two problems are *if* he can stay healthy, you guys know better than anyone how seriously rocked he was. He missed 41 games last year and looks healthy now but he has had a couple of other serious injuries.

Now if we can work something out for Krejci that would be different. I guess I am also a bit put off by the fact that a player like Savard is the one that you are willing to move along out of the wealth of talented forwards on your team.

Why not keep Savard and his exceptional deal and move along Krejci or better still Seguin? We have Schenn and a few very talented young D prospects that would look just as good or better in Boston then Tyler has so far (poking a little fun).

Savards deal and cap hit is more than $4 per next season and the season after that, in fact, his cap hit goes down to $5m three seasons from now and that is allot to pay a player if he indeed does get injured again and to me, that is sort of the main impetus for you guys to move him.

Just spit balling.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 2
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Continue on:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...2#post30308182

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Closed Thread