HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Aftermarket Skate Footbeds/Inserts

Old
01-18-2011, 04:40 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
They are not included in G series skates. The custom insoles are hard to find, there are only a handful of places on the entire east coast of the states that actually have the machines, so they're not in any way "included" with G series skates.

Also, these are not the normal Sidas insoles that do come with many of the skates (even those are not auto in G series skates), these are the custom ones, definitely not included.
they are included at places that carry the sidas machine and insoles.

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Nbr-17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
They are not included in G series skates. The custom insoles are hard to find, there are only a handful of places on the entire east coast of the states that actually have the machines, so they're not in any way "included" with G series skates.

Also, these are not the normal Sidas insoles that do come with many of the skates (even those are not auto in G series skates), these are the custom ones, definitely not included.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
That makes sense, because they were included when I got my son a pair of Ultra G3's.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I don't have completely flat feet but my arch is really low.

I haven't been able to find a skate/insert combo that makes it comfortable at all. Usually the pressure point the skates hit just makes my foot hurt. This is roller btw.

I've pretty much completely stopped playing due to this.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
jsykes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Not according to our rep. I was just discussing the machine with them last week and he said its always an option.

Its possible the shops are throwing them in for you as you do get a certain number of free insoles when you buy the machine.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
pelikano

Getting fitted for SIDAS inserts in Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
If you can get them locally, get the Graf custom molded Sidas ones.
Thing is they need to be fitted by a store that has the equipment.
Got those a couple of years ago, most comfortable footbed bar none.
Nbr-17: I see that you are in Mississauga. Where did you get fitted for the SIDAS?

Anybody in the GTA or Southern Ontario: Can you recommend a place that does SIDAS fittings and knows what they are doing?

Thanks
P.

pelikano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 08:44 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Question:

I use custom made orthotics, similar to these:

If I insert that into my skates, I need to pull out the standard footbed out otherwise it doesn't fit. It's working great right now and I'm loving it... But there is one issue. Since the orthotics only cover the latter half of my feet (heels), the front half is exposed to the rough bottom of the skates. After a pretty intense game, the front of my feet gets a bit wet and cold. Does anyone use these kind of orthotics and put some kind of custom 'half-sole' in the front? Thanks.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:36 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Question:

I use custom made orthotics, similar to these:

If I insert that into my skates, I need to pull out the standard footbed out otherwise it doesn't fit. It's working great right now and I'm loving it... But there is one issue. Since the orthotics only cover the latter half of my feet (heels), the front half is exposed to the rough bottom of the skates. After a pretty intense game, the front of my feet gets a bit wet and cold. Does anyone use these kind of orthotics and put some kind of custom 'half-sole' in the front? Thanks.
Orthotics made for shoes will not fit correctly in your skate boot. They are far too wide and, even if you do manage to squeeze them in, you will not be able to tighten your skates enough for proper foot support.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Orthotics made for shoes will not fit correctly in your skate boot. They are far too wide and, even if you do manage to squeeze them in, you will not be able to tighten your skates enough for proper foot support.
Hmm... I've broken into it sorta, been on ice about 5-6 times a week for about 3 months now. Should I switch back to superfeet insoles?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:09 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelikano View Post
Nbr-17: I see that you are in Mississauga. Where did you get fitted for the SIDAS?

Anybody in the GTA or Southern Ontario: Can you recommend a place that does SIDAS fittings and knows what they are doing?

Thanks
P.
Try Toronto Hockey Repair on Bloor.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:20 AM
pelikano

Thanks Air.

Any place farther west?

Old
11-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Stickmata

I used the Blacks in my CCMs and they were better than the stock ones, however, when I switched to Graf 703s, I preferred the standard SIDAS footbed. I find that the Superfeet Blacks are too hard and don't give me as much feel for the skate and, be extension, my edge.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelikano View Post

Thanks
P.
I got them at Majer Hockey on Dufferin.
They definitely know what they're doing

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:27 PM
pelikano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I got them at Majer Hockey on Dufferin.
They definitely know what they're doing
That's what I wanted to hear. Will add to my short list.

Thanks

Old
11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini1996 View Post
Just bought some replacement inserts for my skates and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on them.

I bought some of the Superfeet inserts for skates this past week with the intention of them helping my stabilize my feet in my boot. I've had Superfeet inserts in my running shoes for years and they are awesome. Eliminated all of the footpain I was having at the time and I've been hooked since.

However, when I went to my instructional class this week, I put the inserts in my skates - I have Easton S9's - it seemed like it threw my balance all out of whack.

I couldn't "feel" my edges at all. I had really been working hard on learning to hockey stop on both right and left sides at open skate. I was really confident I could do ti at my class, so as I get out onto the ice I sktart moving and go to stop and boom, TIMBER!!!, caught and edge and down I went. It was like that the whole time. It was as if i forgot everything I had taught myself. I felt like a jacka$$. It got so bad I went and switched ot the footbeds that came with the skate!!

Anyone else had this experience?

The only thing I can think of is that the new inserts forced my foot to align differently on the edge of the blade and I was not used to skating that way. Otherwise I am at a loss for ideas. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thx!!

goillini
Superfeet yellow are awesome for me, totally eliminated any arch pain, and I actually feel more perfectly connected to my skates, I feel my edges better with them than with the stock insoles. For me there was zero adjustment period, they were an improvement right away.

Everyone's feet are different though, if you don't like em, don't use em.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Another vote for yellow superfeet here. Got them a few months ago, noticed an immediate difference. My outside edge control got much better, I could suddenly do much tighter and smoother crossovers to my right, which I'd had trouble with before. I'm gonna send a pair to my friend overseas, hope they work as well for him.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:55 AM
toddmanley

Yeah, feet are definitely different. On a whim I decided to hit up my LHS and try on some different skates (currently in a pair of Easton S17's). I took my Superfeet insoles along to drop into the skates to see how they would work since I have really high arches.

I tried on a pair of One100's and they felt really good; however, when I dropped in my Superfeet insoles the fit didn't feel as good. For my foot, I felt like the Superfeet insole lifted my heel about a 1/4" higher than the stock insole and caused my ankle bones to get out of alignment with the boot. I'm sure baking the boot would make a difference, but once I put the stock insole back in the boot felt much more comfortable.

I might explore and see what other options are out there where I can get the arch support without altering other fit aspects.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:24 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
Yeah, feet are definitely different. On a whim I decided to hit up my LHS and try on some different skates (currently in a pair of Easton S17's). I took my Superfeet insoles along to drop into the skates to see how they would work since I have really high arches.

I tried on a pair of One100's and they felt really good; however, when I dropped in my Superfeet insoles the fit didn't feel as good. For my foot, I felt like the Superfeet insole lifted my heel about a 1/4" higher than the stock insole and caused my ankle bones to get out of alignment with the boot. I'm sure baking the boot would make a difference, but once I put the stock insole back in the boot felt much more comfortable.

I might explore and see what other options are out there where I can get the arch support without altering other fit aspects.
Whenever you put Superfeet into a pair of skates, you have to rebake them (make sure the Superfeet aren't in the oven with the skates though) because like you said, it lifts the heel a bit.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote