HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Newsday back page

Old
01-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Newsday back page

Hey guys.. I saw the back page of Newsday today and it said Isles on the brink. I was in a rush and couldn't buy the paper. I tried going on the web but I am not a Optonline customer so i don't get access and I refuse to pay for an internet subscription on principle. So can anyone kindly tell me what was the article about?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Steve55

vCash: 500
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.2613509

Wang has spent more than $200 million of his own money to cover the team's losses and millions more planning and promoting his Lighthouse Project - a mixed-use development he wanted to build around a new sports arena. To many, the success of the Lighthouse Project went hand in hand with the team's fortunes.

Today, the project is all but dead with Hempstead Town, where officials objected to its density, size and scale. The town's dramatically scaled-down vision for the property was, in turn, rejected by Wang as economically unfeasible, and today the Coliseum is considered so decrepit that at least one top player turned down the Islanders to play for another franchise for less money.Longtime fans see little that is promising on the horizon.

"We were asked that day 10 years ago what the big thing was about Wang buying the team, and we said, 'Hope,' " said Art Feeney, 70, of Seaford , who has been a season-ticket holder since 1972, the team's first season. "But there's no hope now." Feeney said that after this year, he will give up his tickets....

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Hey guys.. I saw the back page of Newsday today and it said Isles on the brink. I was in a rush and couldn't buy the paper. I tried going on the web but I am not a Optonline customer so i don't get access and I refuse to pay for an internet subscription on principle. So can anyone kindly tell me what was the article about?

Newsday finally realized that the Isles are an awful on ice product,play in a old arena,have lost millions and might be leaving Nassau after 2015.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...play-1.2613509

Islanders On Thin Ice: Old Arena, Weak Play

Originally published: January 15, 2011 11:00 PM
Updated: January 15, 2011 11:37 PM
By JIM BAUMBACH AND RANDI F. MARSHALL. jim.baumbach@newsday.com,, randi.marshall@newsday.com

At Islanders home games this season, fans look around Nassau Coliseum at thousands of empty seats. The team is losing millions of dollars, and the arena is an aging hulk whose best years are behind it.

To many fans, the team's best years are behind it, too.

The franchise that won four consecutive Stanley Cups in the early 1980s and captured the imagination of Long Island now struggles to live up to its storied past. The team hasn't won a playoff series since the 1992-'93 season. And hanging over these issues is what a team official calls "the big gorilla in the room": Where will the Islanders play in four years when the franchise's Coliseum lease expires?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Thanks Steve..I had a feeling it as something along the lines of the lighthouse. So no progress, No mention of moving the team or selling?

I really do feel bad for Wang in regards to this

Old
01-16-2011, 05:59 PM
peter021

No offense to the writers that put in the research and did the legwork on the article, but it struck me as more of a basic summary of the team's state of affairs with nothing really new or of substance to it. As a local paper, one for which I wrote for some years ago, I thought it lacked urgency - almost as if it was written resigned to the Islanders' fate at the Coliseum.

I used to get upset thinking of the Islanders leaving that place. Maybe it's because I no longer live on LI, but I'd be fine with it if it was for the health of the franchise. It's been a long, slow, agonizing death knell. It needs to stop.

peter021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 06:11 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post
No offense to the writers that put in the research and did the legwork on the article, but it struck me as more of a basic summary of the team's state of affairs with nothing really new or of substance to it. As a local paper, one for which I wrote for some years ago, I thought it lacked urgency - almost as if it was written resigned to the Islanders' fate at the Coliseum.

I used to get upset thinking of the Islanders leaving that place. Maybe it's because I no longer live on LI, but I'd be fine with it if it was for the health of the franchise. It's been a long, slow, agonizing death knell. It needs to stop.
Totally agreed. No new information or developments on the team's affairs as far as getting a new arena. Just seemed like a garbage article put in the fill space.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter021 View Post

I agree 100%.. like I said earlier - I saw the back cover at a store but was in a rush and couldnt buy it. I also feel that the article explained nothing new. I was hoping it would have had some updates on the team but with the Jets in the playoffs I was shocked the editorial side picked that as a back cover.

Thanks to all who filled me in.. I cant believe they have the nerve to charge people to read this nonsense online.

Old
01-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Sideshow Bob

Also agree that the article was a summary that imparted nothing new, or dare I say, news. And my edition of newsday (Suffolk edition) it was on the FRONT page, with the article on Page A2-4. While it's nice to see the team get some coverage, I was hoping for some actual news, even more so considering the front page status.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Isles Drive 4 5

The reason why the Isles will move to queens is the same reasons why Nassau county is on the verge of Bankruptcy....INCOMPOTENT, NOT CARING ABOUT ITS CONSTITUENTS POLITICIANS.......PERIOD.

Refer to bottom of Page 5 and the top of page 6

say what you want about Wang and his CA dealings..but I can't find much of the fault with him.....Did he do things as smart as he could have to get things down...ABSOLUTELY NOT...but when he shows Audited Financials that show over 200 mil in losses. you could understand why he's going on the cheap...YOU WOULD TOO

I was really disappointed at how they gave Kate fat a$$ Murray and Politicians..both democraps and republicans a free pass. The Pols say the project was to big....********..its all about kickbacks, favors and ego/power plays. First living and growing up in Uniondale as well as working (i still call it) the EAB building i can tell YOU THE PROJECT WAS NOT TO BIG..sick and tired out idiots saying this...try and pull up Google Maps and look at the area....its nothing but dirt fields (santinni's as we called it back in the day when we drove our dirt backs in there). The people that say the project was too big would be the same idiots to say the EAB twin buildings is too big or the Nassau county Mecical Center is to big...whats really to big is there stupidity. As you can tell I'm pissed..pissed cuz of the Politicians doing what they want ..not whats good for the people..pissed cuz the Isles are Def moving and we hope to Queens..Pissed cuz there's Isles fans that believe Wang's the villian and the county has no responsability for this...If the county we serious about the project being to big how come they haven't at least requested to sit down with Wang to figure out a mutual size that is quote unquote acceptable to the county and economically feasable to Wang knowing that keeping the Isles in Uniondale, creating tax revenues, creating a better quality of life here on LI should be the UT MOST importance to a county on the brink of financial crisis. INstead they turn their back stubbornly on WANG, Isles and most importantly it residents in an effort to feed their power hungry, money grabbing Ego's.....WHERE'S THE HELL IS BIG WIG D'AMATO NOW...IN THE TIME OF CRISIS..oh his making guess appreaances on Fox..ironically talking about corruption in politics...pppllleeaassee

Isles Drive 4 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:13 PM
periferal

This thread was dead when it was titled.

Can you tell me when you EVER need to read, much less buy, Newsday for Islander information?

There is nothing you read there that you couldn't find somewhere else on the web if not deduce on your own.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
This thread was dead when it was titled.

Can you tell me when you EVER need to read, much less buy, Newsday for Islander information?

There is nothing you read there that you couldn't find somewhere else on the web if not deduce on your own.
I never read Newsday and feel that the fact that they charge you to read it online is a joke. I guess if you have Dolan's cable he throws in Newsday as a freebie!!

Its true that the article was worthless but how it made the back page and the front page in Suffolk is beyond me!!!

Old
01-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I never read Newsday and feel that the fact that they charge you to read it online is a joke. I guess if you have Dolan's cable he throws in Newsday as a freebie!!

Its true that the article was worthless but how it made the back page and the front page in Suffolk is beyond me!!!
I hate to be "that guy" but think about it... If they (or any other big newspaper for that matter) DIDN'T charge you to read online, every newspaper company would go out of business. Digital media is already replacing paper media at an alarming rate. If newsday let you read their paper cover to cover online for free, no one would buy the actual paper anymore. Trust me, in 10 years, hard copy newspapers will no longer exist. Everything will be online and nothing will be free.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:07 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

That back page story is not "news" it is just re-covering what has been said for 10 years.

What is noteworthy is the timing.

Suddenly Snow/Wang and the Islanders have been doing P.R. about everything?

Interesting. Could be the prelude to something in the coming months....

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
Bones45

exactly like everyone else said, nothin new in the article.. just re-hashing the same **** that everyone already knows.

in fact, Botta mentioned it in his latest post on his site.

Even bottas pieces are getting boring.. same information with the words shuffled around.

Wake me up when Wang has a press conference...

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
exactly like everyone else said, nothin new in the article.. just re-hashing the same **** that everyone already knows.
in fact, Botta mentioned it in his latest post on his site.

Even bottas pieces are getting boring.. same information with the words shuffled around.

Wake me up when Wang has a press conference...
I'd qualify that.

We know it.

Us fans who still care and keep up with the team.

The very casual fan, the person who only goes to games when the tickets their company has makes their way down to them...this might be news to them.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Brunomics

I wonder if the possible Nifa takeover of Nassau County could influence what goes on with the lighthouse. If their budget is that ****ed that they have to be taken over could that force the project to be green lit just so the county brings in more in tax money? I'm not too familiar with what's going on with the county at this moment but it does seem possible I'd imagine.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I wonder if the possible Nifa takeover of Nassau County could influence what goes on with the lighthouse. If their budget is that ****ed that they have to be taken over could that force the project to be green lit just so the county brings in more in tax money? I'm not too familiar with what's going on with the county at this moment but it does seem possible I'd imagine.

What's this about "Nifa"?

Old
01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
What's this about "Nifa"?
http://nassaucountynewsnetwork.wordp...nifa-takeover/

http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/...nifa-takeover/

if you have newsday i think it's pages A8-A9 in today's paper.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:26 AM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post

Ha. You didn't exactly read my earlier post in this thread from 1/16 eh?

Old
01-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Ha. You didn't exactly read my earlier post in this thread from 1/16 eh?
must've missed it

Old
01-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Drive 4 5 View Post
The reason why the Isles will move to queens is the same reasons why Nassau county is on the verge of Bankruptcy....INCOMPOTENT, NOT CARING ABOUT ITS CONSTITUENTS POLITICIANS.......PERIOD.

Refer to bottom of Page 5 and the top of page 6

say what you want about Wang and his CA dealings..but I can't find much of the fault with him.....Did he do things as smart as he could have to get things down...ABSOLUTELY NOT...but when he shows Audited Financials that show over 200 mil in losses. you could understand why he's going on the cheap...YOU WOULD TOO

I was really disappointed at how they gave Kate fat a$$ Murray and Politicians..both democraps and republicans a free pass. The Pols say the project was to big....********..its all about kickbacks, favors and ego/power plays. First living and growing up in Uniondale as well as working (i still call it) the EAB building i can tell YOU THE PROJECT WAS NOT TO BIG..sick and tired out idiots saying this...try and pull up Google Maps and look at the area....its nothing but dirt fields (santinni's as we called it back in the day when we drove our dirt backs in there). The people that say the project was too big would be the same idiots to say the EAB twin buildings is too big or the Nassau county Mecical Center is to big...whats really to big is there stupidity. As you can tell I'm pissed..pissed cuz of the Politicians doing what they want ..not whats good for the people..pissed cuz the Isles are Def moving and we hope to Queens..Pissed cuz there's Isles fans that believe Wang's the villian and the county has no responsability for this...If the county we serious about the project being to big how come they haven't at least requested to sit down with Wang to figure out a mutual size that is quote unquote acceptable to the county and economically feasable to Wang knowing that keeping the Isles in Uniondale, creating tax revenues, creating a better quality of life here on LI should be the UT MOST importance to a county on the brink of financial crisis. INstead they turn their back stubbornly on WANG, Isles and most importantly it residents in an effort to feed their power hungry, money grabbing Ego's.....WHERE'S THE HELL IS BIG WIG D'AMATO NOW...IN THE TIME OF CRISIS..oh his making guess appreaances on Fox..ironically talking about corruption in politics...pppllleeaassee
They have, Wang refuses. Wang is being unresonable in saying it is his way or no way. He is holding all of us and the team we love hostage to get what he wants. If he truly cared, he would meet with the Town and find middle ground for both. If you lived in the area, you would realize this is not a good project, in it's current state, for the surrounding community. The area cannot handle the traffic as it is now, never mind adding 5,000 housing units. Wang failed to mention in his report to the Town where the water would come from, where the sewage would go and how to handle the traffic. He thought he could push ti through by dropping a 6,000 page report on the Town's desk never figuring they would actually read it. I grew up there and the area had trouble with all the traffic 20 years ago and it is ten times worse now. The only quality of life the Lighthouse Project would improve would be that of Wang and his investors. You cannot believe anything Wang says, after all he cooked the books at CA and then threw his partner under the bus for it. While Wang tries to develop his billion dollar dream, Sanjay Kumar rots in jail for something he did not do. I love the Isles to and don't want to see them go, but Wang bought this team for the surrounding real estate, thought his millions could get him what he wanted and is acting like a child now that he realizes it can't. The fact anyone supports Wangs position boggles my mind.

Last edited by Isles Fan: 01-18-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote