HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Lecavalier

Old
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
william_adams

vCash: 500
Lecavalier

Great player. Bad contract.

Last year there were exactly 2 bidders for a younger Kovalchuk. Lecavaliers cap hit is more than a million higher than kovy's. The contract goes to 2020. Are there any bidders?

Key points:
-contract signed before age 35 so retirement = cap hit gone.
-10mm per for the next 6 years so acquiring team needs to have cash (as well as cap space)
-because of the cash structure of the deal, buyouts aren't really an option till he last year (2019) of the contract.
-9 years, 65mm, and a yearly cap hit of 7.727mm remaining.
-full no movement clause, so he'd have to agree.

Contract details:
www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=884

Thoughts?

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
pwallll

Tampa wont get much for him but im sure there would be some interest if he decided to waive his nmc.

pwallll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I Am Beat You

Good player, absurd contract.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 07:59 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

It's interesting that Tampa will essentially be in the same situation next year as they were when they had Boyle and B. Richards. Basically, Stamkos will be getting 5+ and they will also need to re-sign Gagne/Roloson. That leaves them with very little cap room and once again are stuck with an albatross contract in Lecavalier.

I guess a trade could be had, but keep in mind, this would be like trying to move a Drury, Gomez, or Campbell. Yes, VL4 is the better player of the bunch, but the fact remains that not a lot of teams can afford to take on Vinny's cap-hit and expect to remain competitive.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:12 PM
landfill

Make a trade stright up for Scotty Gomez and call it a day. He is signed to a similar cap hit for the next three years instead of the 10 mil a year for the next 6.

landfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
It's interesting that Tampa will essentially be in the same situation next year as they were when they had Boyle and B. Richards. Basically, Stamkos will be getting 5+ and they will also need to re-sign Gagne/Roloson. That leaves them with very little cap room and once again are stuck with an albatross contract in Lecavalier.

I guess a trade could be had, but keep in mind, this would be like trying to move a Drury, Gomez, or Campbell. Yes, VL4 is the better player of the bunch, but the fact remains that not a lot of teams can afford to take on Vinny's cap-hit and expect to remain competitive.
Just no. Trying to get Boyle and Richards and Lecavalier under contract is not nearly the same thing as Stamkos Gagne and Roli. Roli will be 42, and will command at most 1.5M. Gagne is a walking injury, and he's gonna get a significant pay cut.

Lecavalier's trade value is almost negative considering the length of his contract. Though I could see maybe a team like Columbus, who has the cap space and the need for a number one center to create a buzz and play with Nash, making a move. Maybe a franchise-saver.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote