HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SOB suspended 2 games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
  #51
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
It was the same hit that Ovie put on Campbell. The only reason Hossa didn't get a suspension is because Hamhuis didn't get injured. The penalty shouldn't be on if a guy is hurt or not, it should depend on the play itself, was it dangerous? In that case, yes, Hossa should've been gone, regardless of intent. It's like saying, oh, I just mean to rough him up a bit and it costs a guy his career. These guys need to be responsible for everything they do on the ice. SOB deserved the suspension but the league needs to look deeper into this situation and lay out suspensions for all acts that are worthy, regardless of who committed them.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded part. Are you saying Bertuzzi should have had the same punishment if Moore hopped right back up and wasn't hurt? You have to take the result of the play into consideration.

What's the difference between Murder and Attempted Murder? Both are the same action, but one is punished harder because of the result.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
  #52
glenngineer
HFB Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded part. Are you saying Bertuzzi should have had the same punishment if Moore hopped right back up and wasn't hurt? You have to take the result of the play into consideration.

What's the difference between Murder and Attempted Murder? Both are the same action, but one is punished harder because of the result.
I see what you're saying. My line of thinking was the Ovie and Hossa hits. Campbell gets hurt and Ovie is suspended, Hamhuis isn't, Hossa doesn't get anything. Same exact hit, one was hurt the other wasn't. These were hockey plays. What Bertuzzi did was something that should've had him suspended for life. I see what you're saying but I think what I was really referring to was hockey plays. There is a grey area in there and your point is taken and I agree with you. Where is that line though? I think the action should be the main ingredient in doling out suspensions.

I think the NHL takes too much consideration into the result of the play as opposed to seeing the cause as the problem. I also think the repeat offender thing is crap because Pronger has been a repeat offender and still gets off with a slap on the wrist compared to others who are repeat offenders. Maybe Campbell is afraid of Pronger walking into his office and debating the suspension or moreso, Grinder walking into his office and throwing a fit.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
  #53
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded part. Are you saying Bertuzzi should have had the same punishment if Moore hopped right back up and wasn't hurt? You have to take the result of the play into consideration.

What's the difference between Murder and Attempted Murder? Both are the same action, but one is punished harder because of the result.
How do you explain the Backstrom hit from behind on Goc that put him out for a few weeks?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 03:43 PM
  #54
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded part. Are you saying Bertuzzi should have had the same punishment if Moore hopped right back up and wasn't hurt? You have to take the result of the play into consideration.

What's the difference between Murder and Attempted Murder? Both are the same action, but one is punished harder because of the result.
The difference in attempted murder and murder is the length of imprisonment ... not a choice between getting away with it and punishment. The act, and act alone, should determine if there is supplemental punishment. If the result is obscene, such as the Bertuzzi attack, then there should be additional punishment similar to the additional punishment for the most heinous murders.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  #55
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,785
vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong. I think the inconsistency in the league is laughable, and has been for years. It just seemed to me that the thread was turning from talking about the suspension and its merit or lack thereof, and turning towards trying to bring up worse examples that didn't get anything. I apologize if I took the conversation the wrong way.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
  #56
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I see what you're saying. My line of thinking was the Ovie and Hossa hits. Campbell gets hurt and Ovie is suspended, Hamhuis isn't, Hossa doesn't get anything. Same exact hit, one was hurt the other wasn't. These were hockey plays. What Bertuzzi did was something that should've had him suspended for life. I see what you're saying but I think what I was really referring to was hockey plays. There is a grey area in there and your point is taken and I agree with you. Where is that line though? I think the action should be the main ingredient in doling out suspensions.

I think the NHL takes too much consideration into the result of the play as opposed to seeing the cause as the problem. I also think the repeat offender thing is crap because Pronger has been a repeat offender and still gets off with a slap on the wrist compared to others who are repeat offenders. Maybe Campbell is afraid of Pronger walking into his office and debating the suspension or moreso, Grinder walking into his office and throwing a fit.
Didn't OV have a suspension history before that? I'd be willing to bet that if it was OV's first offence, he would have been let off with a warning or fine. Hossa I believe has no history of discipline and is not a dirty player. If he were to do it again, then I would discipline him. But you can't really say it was the same exact hit. In my eyes, Ovechkin's looked much worse. He skated hard into him and put all his weight into the hit. Hossa just shoved Hamhuis a bit. Hamhuis should have been able to absorb it, but it caught him off guard. Campbell couldn't do anything to avoid OV's hit.

I definitely agree that the action should be the main ingredient. Things would get pretty crazy if they only suspended people based on result. But you have to look at the whole picture: action, result, history, intent, rules, etc. I think the league usually does a decent job at taking everything into account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
How do you explain the Backstrom hit from behind on Goc that put him out for a few weeks?
This one is borderline. I could see this going either way. I imagine Backstrom's lack of history and usual clean play had an influence. But how often do boarding penalties turn into suspensions? Not too often I'd wager. IIRC, Backstrom only got 2 minutes... I think the refs should have given him 5 at the very least and possibly a misconduct, though. It's not suspendable though for a first offence, IMO.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
  #57
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,727
vCash: 500
Can we suspend SOB for that play that gave up the first goal?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 09:28 PM
  #58
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Can we suspend SOB for that play that gave up the first goal?
meh, mistakes happen. can we suspend peks for not covering the post tight enough?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
  #59
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Can we suspend SOB for that play that gave up the first goal?
No, but I'm sure he'll pay for it in the Kangaroo Court...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.